IGNORED

Arndts (Safe at Home) 7: Waiting on Wedding Photos

Coconut Flan

1 minute ago, anjulibai said:

Because adding stockings is such an imposition?

I guess mama Arndt made all of them a long time ago. So I guess she has a point. But it’s so unsurprising she doesn’t want to make new ones for the in laws. They just Arndt as important 😛

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 27

On 11/26/2023 at 10:42 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Some of the worst on the list are name combos like Jayda and Jayden, Oliver and Olivia, Nevaeh and Heaven, London and Paris, Jayden and Kayden, Christian and Christopher.

I know someone who did that, and I honestly thought no one else would be that... strange. In this case it was after St Christopher (they were doing IVF and prayed for success, no idea why to him though?) but I kept wondering how it was going to go with identical twins with such close names that are usually abbreviated to the same thing. Unfortunately I've lost contact with them, because now I'm really curious!

• Upvote 2

On 11/26/2023 at 12:42 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Some of the worst on the list are name combos like Jayda and Jayden, Oliver and Olivia, Nevaeh and Heaven, London and Paris, Jayden and Kayden, Christian and Christopher.

I’d hate to have a name matching my sibling’s name like that. But at least a lot of these names are very normal, so once these kids grow up and each live their own lives, no one is going to bat an eye at Olivia or Christopher.

7 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

And when babies come along, she’s going to attach little stockings to the big stocking of the parents.

That actually sounds very cute! At least until the babies are bigger kids.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, GreenBeans said:

I’d hate to have a name matching my sibling’s name like that. But at least a lot of these names are very normal, so once these kids grow up and each live their own lives, no one is going to bat an eye at Olivia or Christopher.

That actually sounds very cute! At least until the babies are bigger kids.

My parents are funny about stockings. They will get a new stocking for my teenage niece’s boyfriend and fill it with the same candy and stuff as my niece. They must make sure everyone feels included. They are no where near as strict as the Arndts. I bet they aren’t even including Joan and Courtney yet because they are just engaged and not married.  My family would most definitely have a stocking for them. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

I think the issue is that Mama Arndt never ever never thought her precious boys would marry and leave home/ her (sniff sniff wipes tears) so the issue of DIL and grandchildren stockings never entered her head.

The Arndts are such a closed unit completely unto themselves that I suspect Cathy and Steve don't think of DIL as really being members of the family. Hence no separate stockings for the DILs.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 8

10 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

I think the issue is that Mama Arndt never ever never thought her precious boys would marry and leave home/ her (sniff sniff wipes tears) so the issue of DIL and grandchildren stockings never entered her head.

The Arndts are such a closed unit completely unto themselves that I suspect Cathy and Steve don't think of DIL as really being members of the family. Hence no separate stockings for the DILs.

Agreed. I also wonder if they're "just girls" and therefore don't need their own stocking because they're only an accessory for her sons. My MAGA parent called me recently to tell me one of my cousins now has the "first boy" in his generation. There are many boys and girls in that generation but apparantly that cousin having the first boy that will keep that last name suddenly meant I needed to call someone I haven't spoken with in at least a decade and who wouldn't recognize me until I said "I'm your parent's sibling's kid" for my cousin to even have a clue who I am! But all hail the mighty penis! I bet Kathy's insufferable with the new in-laws. Hopefully they manchilds have good therapists and good boundaries and can stand up to Mama Arnd't "ownership" of her sons .

• Upvote 5

48 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

It’s funny because I think she and Rick always wanted grandkids. But the whole getting married thing is the problem, lol. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1

I work at an elementary school, so I see a lot of unusual names. You'd be surprised by the number of siblings that have matching names, and not just twins. We do currently have brothers named Christian and Christopher; thankfully neither goes by christopher. However, there's another set of boys that are Abdulshakur and Abdulsalam, and they both go by Abdul. When the parents come to pick one of them up for school, they don't always know which one they are getting. 

• Confused 2
  • Thank You 1

12 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

I work at an elementary school, so I see a lot of unusual names. You'd be surprised by the number of siblings that have matching names, and not just twins. We do currently have brothers named Christian and Christopher; thankfully neither goes by christopher. However, there's another set of boys that are Abdulshakur and Abdulsalam, and they both go by Abdul. When the parents come to pick one of them up for school, they don't always know which one they are getting. 

I’ve said this many times but my sister and I have matchy names. Our first names start with the same letter and have the same middle name. Think Jessica Lynn and Jennifer Lynn. We hated it because we were always compared and told we look so much alike. But our personalities have always been opposite. Still are. We are less resentful of it as adults. Now we just don’t care. But I refused to match my son’s names. They are very different. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

I have matching names for any future kids with my daughter, but my matching isn't totally standard.  All the names we picked out are Greek with a Hebrew middle name.  We're not Greek or Jewish, but saw the similarities when looking up name orgins/meaning.  I had a good laugh to myself about managing to match completely accidentally in a way no one will probably ever notice.

• Upvote 1

On 12/29/2023 at 9:19 PM, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I have matching names for any future kids with my daughter, but my matching isn't totally standard.  All the names we picked out are Greek with a Hebrew middle name.  We're not Greek or Jewish, but saw the similarities when looking up name orgins/meaning.  I had a good laugh to myself about managing to match completely accidentally in a way no one will probably ever notice.

But if no one notices, then you are doing it WRONG! You should at least have an Insta, plus monogrammed clothing so that EVERYONE knows how holy and special you are! /s

Ok, snark off. Traditional names are lovely, and it sounds like you chose out of love and musicality.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6

I've been vaguely and sporadically keeping up with the penguin flock/Arndts. So if I get things correctly: Luke and James are married now. Jacob and Nathan are engaged. And Philip is dating someone? 

I have words for the Arndts.  Quit stockings when the kids are all adults.  Send them off to their own households and the issue of stockings for their spouses and their new families can become their tradition and problem or they may not even want stockings for adults.  2/3 of my kids don't do stockings as adults and the one who does only did it to preserve the Santa legend for the kids.  

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

56 minutes ago, xenobia said:

I've been vaguely and sporadically keeping up with the penguin flock/Arndts. So if I get things correctly: Luke and James are married now. Jacob and Nathan are engaged. And Philip is dating someone? 

Yes, that’s the gist of it. 

• Thank You 2

22 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I have words for the Arndts.  Quit stockings when the kids are all adults.  Send them off to their own households and the issue of stockings for their spouses and their new families can become their tradition and problem or they may not even want stockings for adults.  2/3 of my kids don't do stockings as adults and the one who does only did it to preserve the Santa legend for the kids.  

I still do stockings, and it is one of my favorite things to do. My family is big on tradition, and stockings are a set-in-stone family tradition.  My new daughter in law got a stocking, as does anyone else who happens to celebrate with us on Christmas day. My DIL's stocking doesn't quite match but it's close enough to the ones my kids got when they were little. Her name, like all of ours, is written with glue and glitter. All we could afford back then. They seem a little tacky now to my eyes but when I suggested upgrading the stockings, my offspring were horrified. It's TRADITION!

The Arndts should make a choice: either take Coconut Flan's advice above, or treat the DILs as whole people and give them their own stocking. Seems like a half stocking is a passive aggressive way to punish them for getting married, as well as making sure the DILs are not fully welcomed into the fold.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

Do you suppose had a birds and the bees talk with each boy prior to the wedding night?

And will the new wives participate in the never-ending video drama with Mama carrying the little basket and the girls following behind???

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, gustava said:

Do you suppose had a birds and the bees talk with each boy prior to the wedding night?

And will the new wives participate in the never-ending video drama with Mama carrying the little basket and the girls following behind???

I swear I know someone who got a sex talk from his dad right before his wedding. Even though he had gone to public school and off to a big college and graduated. He had a pretty normal mainstream life. Yes, they were Christians and went to church. But public school gives sex education pretty young. So I don’t know what this dad thought he had to offer besides awkwardness and discomfort. 

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/2/2024 at 7:46 AM, livinginthelight said:

The Arndts should make a choice: either take Coconut Flan's advice above, or treat the DILs as whole people and give them their own stocking. Seems like a half stocking is a passive aggressive way to punish them for getting married, as well as making sure the DILs are not fully welcomed into the fold.

The married ones should take their stocking to their married home, get one for their spouse and add in additional for children as needed. Make it obvious that they have left home and moved on from their parents house. 

See how quickly new ones get made for the DILs then.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 2

I don't think this has been addressed here:

Did the married boys (sorry but they are still boys) move out of the mothership into their own homes with their wives?

Did they move into the 2nd Arndt house that we assumed was for the older boys?

Is it possible that each married couple has their own house/ apt and they are no longer "Safe at Home"  (gasp, pearl clutch)?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

I don't think this has been addressed here:

Did the married boys (sorry but they are still boys) move out of the mothership into their own homes with their wives?

Did they move into the 2nd Arndt house that we assumed was for the older boys?

Is it possible that each married couple has their own house/ apt and they are no longer "Safe at Home"  (gasp, pearl clutch)?

I honestly don’t know all the living situations. My guess is that they are living in their own places but aren’t that far from the main Arndt house. 

• Upvote 4

I find it hard to believe any woman would marry into the family and have to share a house with other couples.  So awkward.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

3 minutes ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I find it hard to believe any woman would marry into the family and have to share a house with other couples.  So awkward.

I truly hope the married ones have places of their own. Probably similar to how the Maxwells started. They all lived within a mile of the Max home. I bet the Arndts are the same way. 

One another note. I keep seeing Joan’s sister Jeanne with the whole group. She’s always there. I bet she will announce soon that she’s dating one of them.

• Upvote 6

We do stockings too (Ihave two adult children and 1 teen, plus one boyfriend that has now been included in stockings) I honestly don't see us ever giving up the stockings as it is a favorite for all of us. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

On 11/26/2023 at 1:42 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

naming your twins Heaven and Nevaeh sound like the perfect set up for a good twin and a bad twin story

"yeah, her name is Heaven, and hers is too but  backward."

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 14

7 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

naming your twins Heaven and Nevaeh sound like the perfect set up for a good twin and a bad twin story

"yeah, her name is Heaven, and hers is too but  backward."

True. I once knew a woman who had children named Nadia and Aidan because it’s the other name spelled backwards. That seems much better than Heaven and Nevaeh.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2