IGNORED

Bates 32: More Weddings, More Babies

Coconut Flan

Out of curiosity I watched the episode last night. It's been a long time since I've seen any episodes of BUB so maybe it was always this way, but something about the new episode seemed off. The camera work was shaky, there were a lot of scenes where they were all talking over each other without any real content, and there was no cohesive story line. It almost felt like they filmed and edited it themselves, without the direction of a production crew. 

There was also a 6 month jump from the last episode of season 10 (Katie's engagement) to this supposed 2nd episode of season 11. That means either episode 1 was really long and busy, or they skipped Nathan's engagement; Jadon, Charlotte and Hazel's births; the start of Trace and Lydia's relationship, Carlin's announcement of her pregnancy with Zade; and Erin's announcement of her pregnancy with Finley, Unless the planned 11th season was very out of order, that's a lot of milestones to skip over. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, OHFL2009 said:

*snip*

There was also a 6 month jump from the last episode of season 10 (Katie's engagement) to this supposed 2nd episode of season 11. That means either episode 1 was really long and busy, or they skipped Nathan's engagement; Jadon, Charlotte and Hazel's births; the start of Trace and Lydia's relationship, Carlin's announcement of her pregnancy with Zade; and Erin's announcement of her pregnancy with Finley, Unless the planned 11th season was very out of order, that's a lot of milestones to skip over. 

I watched it too and with all of those things... They spent sooo much time on Lawson's ring. Ridiculous.

They also managed to remind us that John is a dick. With the pictures of Alyssa's four girls on the wall, her sisters were saying/joking that there was no more room, so no more kids, and Alyssa was like "yup, four kids is a lot" and John was like "hooo no, we've got plenty of walls."

With the context of Rhett being born... I was thinking they'd be done at six, but now I'm thinking it'll be at least eight.

I never really paid attention to John in the past, but in light of the exchange with Lexie with her saying babies are a lot of work (which, wtf, girlfriend was 5 when she said it) and John saying 'too bad, don't care about your feelings.' YIKES.

I'm all for big families, I grew up with most families averaging 5-8 kids, but... Ooof.

• Upvote 6
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 1

John is a dick. He is the worst Bates husband. 

Edited by CanadianMamam
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

I watched it too and with all of those things... They spent sooo much time on Lawson's ring. Ridiculous.

They also managed to remind us that John is a dick. With the pictures of Alyssa's four girls on the wall, her sisters were saying/joking that there was no more room, so no more kids, and Alyssa was like "yup, four kids is a lot" and John was like "hooo no, we've got plenty of walls."

With the context of Rhett being born... I was thinking they'd be done at six, but now I'm thinking it'll be at least eight.

I never really paid attention to John in the past, but in light of the exchange with Lexie with her saying babies are a lot of work (which, wtf, girlfriend was 5 when she said it) and John saying 'too bad, don't care about your feelings.' YIKES.

I'm all for big families, I grew up with most families averaging 5-8 kids, but... Ooof.

He literally said “too bad, don’t care about your feelings”?!? 😩

I never paid much attention to John either. But I thought it was a huge red flag when we went on Alyssa’s family ski trip by himself and left her at home with all the kids (and pregnant?). I mean who does that. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 8

I am still wondering why in the world the show ended so suddenly. It does not make any sense from.an economic point of view. Whatever it was, how long can it continue to stay a secret?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

3 hours ago, vienna said:

I am still wondering why in the world the show ended so suddenly. It does not make any sense from.an economic point of view. Whatever it was, how long can it continue to stay a secret?

yeah enquiring minds want to know...

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

I just went to Tubi to see if any more new episodes were added, and now I don’t see the new episode,  Season 11 Episode 2. Was it removed or is it just something glitchy for me?

15 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

Now the whole season is up. Only 6 episodes and nothing about Nathan and Esther's wedding 

Ok, the wedding does feature, it is just not in the description of the episode. 

• Thank You 1

On 6/14/2023 at 1:33 PM, vienna said:

If UP was potentially going to have to spend more money on reputation management than the show as bringing in with advertising, it makes sense. Given how bloated the show becomes with this model (new in-laws and grandchildren each season), it was never a sustainable model. I think it was a culmination of factors and no one smoking gun.

• Upvote 3

The first episode is fairly choppy.  20 minutes of content and they've had babies, the park, wedding planning, and now they're on fishing.  Tiffany just discovered the bait was alive.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

We dont get to hear much from Kelton and i get why, he comes across as such an ass. There is this moment where Josie is saying that if she could choose again she would have her hair up in her wedding instead of down and he was saying he liked it more down because you are supposed to look your best at your wedding and you dont with your hair up. Josie basically said she didnt care about his opinion about hair and he said that back then when they got married she would have done what he wanted because back then she used to be really sweet. What a backhanded compliment to make to your wife. And what an ass of a comment, i remember how much shit Nathan got for a similar comment back in the day and this one i feel is even worst. 

Also anyone else saw Warden rolling his eyes to the back of his head when Jackson mentioned what a great dad Gil was? Hilarious.

Edited by llucie
spelling
  • Upvote 12
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 2

After seeing the episode, I don't have a lot of sympathy for Katie and her "all messed up dress."  She went to a shop where they order the "designer" dresses from New York.  That's very, very common.  Those dresses are NOT custom made.  They come with an extremely limited list of customizations you can pay extra to get.  Unless they listed an alternate back in the catelog, she was never going to get it.  They are made to standard sizes and have to usually be altered for exact fit.  The shop measures the bride and as they told her one of her measurements was one size up so they had to order the larger dress and then it would be altered to fit.  That's all very standard as is the five months for delivery.   IF she lived in the area, the shop would have had a seamstress to do the alterations or a recommended list of seamstresses..  Katie and Kelly didn't do their homework or ask the right questions at the original shop.   The dress came in exactly as I would have expected it to given what she ordered.  This is why you want the gown delivered a couple of months before the wedding.  Even so with my one daughter who went that route, the day before the wedding I was finishing the hem that the seamstress had not done a job to suit me on my daughter's gown.  

In some ways I feel like it was all a complete setup for the episode since the second dress is what Josie described as what she originally wanted in a dress so it's that or a bad case of buyer's remorse.  

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

24 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

After seeing the episode, I don't have a lot of sympathy for Katie and her "all messed up dress."  She went to a shop where they order the "designer" dresses from New York.  That's very, very common.  Those dresses are NOT custom made.  They come with an extremely limited list of customizations you can pay extra to get.  Unless they listed an alternate back in the catelog, she was never going to get it.  They are made to standard sizes and have to usually be altered for exact fit.  The shop measures the bride and as they told her one of her measurements was one size up so they had to order the larger dress and then it would be altered to fit.  That's all very standard as is the five months for delivery.   IF she lived in the area, the shop would have had a seamstress to do the alterations or a recommended list of seamstresses..  Katie and Kelly didn't do their homework or ask the right questions at the original shop.   The dress came in exactly as I would have expected it to given what she ordered.  This is why you want the gown delivered a couple of months before the wedding.  Even so with my one daughter who went that route, the day before the wedding I was finishing the hem that the seamstress had not done a job to suit me on my daughter's gown.  

In some ways I feel like it was all a complete setup for the episode since the second dress is what Josie described as what she originally wanted in a dress so it's that or a bad case of buyer's remorse.  

honestly I dont get why she was upset, I know they care about modesty, but considering what a lot of the girls wear now, the back of the dress was fine. Plus if she wore her hair down no one would have noticed or put a sheer lining in the back. it's 2023 even the bates girls dress code has come a long way from Whitneys bolero.

• Upvote 3

It was odd that she said she hated that the original dress showed her armpits and that was one of the reasons why she didnt want to wear it and said it was butchered, and the first thing she did with the new dress was cutting the sleeves too. I thought it looked great without the sleeves but she made it sound like showing her armpits was this huge problem for her when clearly not. It makes me think she purposefully choose that style both times and it was not the fault of the seamstress. I do think the 2nd dress suited her a lot better, but Miss Renee is also not a master seamstress miracle worker like they say, the neckline in the final dress looked kinda bad and too big for her.

• Upvote 4

Now that I've seen the 11th very, very short season, I think I understand why no word from the Bateses about a cancellation.  I think Season 11 was planned as the final season.  It only had what would have been six half hour episodes.  The last five to ten minutes of episode six was  done as a potentail series ender.  I don't think the crew went to Italy for the proposal as only photos were shown.  The weddings were covered and less and less filler as the episodes progressed.  With only six short episodes and now that they've "aired" somewhere, I believe the Bateses were paid for them at the time and knew it was the end so thus no comment from them.   

• Upvote 7

It was so choppy that to me it felt like it was reedited and cut down later. Trace was on the couch with Katie for several of her talking heads, but never said anything and never featured in any regular scenes. According to Fundie wiki, Trace and Lydia started dating in August, so they were together for both Nathan and Katie's weddings but their relationship wasn't shown or mentioned. And if they didn't have any footage of Trace featuring in the story line, there would have been no reason to shoot talking heads with him. This makes me wonder if it was Trace who made the George Floyd comments and they did their best to edit him out of what they had already shot. 

• Upvote 9

23 hours ago, llucie said:

We dont get to hear much from Kelton and i get why, he comes across as such an ass. There is this moment where Josie is saying that if she could choose again she would have her hair up in her wedding instead of down and he was saying he liked it more down because you are supposed to look your best at your wedding and you dont with your hair up. Josie basically said she didnt care about his opinion about hair and he said that back then when they got married she would have done what he wanted because back then she used to be really sweet. What a backhanded compliment to make to your wife. And what an ass of a comment, i remember how much shit Nathan got for a similar comment back in the day and this one i feel is even worst. 

Also anyone else saw Warden rolling his eyes to the back of his head when Jackson mentioned what a great dad Gil was? Hilarious.

Kelton made what I thought was a sneer by mentioning Josie’s “bougie style” in one of Trace & Lydia’s vids. It was the one where they remodel the bathroom for Josie & Kelton. It was strange. 

• Upvote 5

On 6/16/2023 at 8:46 PM, Coconut Flan said:

I'm annoyed by her even more. And the fact she kept asking for opinions rather than have one was annoying. Every time she cried, I just wanted to just tell her to get over it. 

Just one more undereducated fundie not making any decisions that matter for anyone.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Now that I've seen the 11th very, very short season, I think I understand why no word from the Bateses about a cancellation.  I think Season 11 was planned as the final season.  It only had what would have been six half hour episodes.  The last five to ten minutes of episode six was  done as a potentail series ender.  I don't think the crew went to Italy for the proposal as only photos were shown.  The weddings were covered and less and less filler as the episodes progressed.  With only six short episodes and now that they've "aired" somewhere, I believe the Bateses were paid for them at the time and knew it was the end so thus no comment from them.   

I’m thinking that with so many of the Bates kids having their own YouTube channels they stopped giving UP the rights to film their births, engagements, moves, etc, because they could make more money off their own channels. Some estimates for Carlin and Evan are they’re making anywhere from $5k-$15k a month off their channel. Even if Gil was paying his kids more than JB did from tv money, I don’t think UP paid him enough to compete with what the kids could make on their own.

UP probably couldn’t get enough good content for episodes after the adult kids kept putting their big news on their YouTube channels instead. It kind of seems like a natural end.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

14 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

Kelton made what I thought was a sneer by mentioning Josie’s “bougie style” in one of Trace & Lydia’s vids. It was the one where they remodel the bathroom for Josie & Kelton. It was strange. 

No, my commentary on this video was that trace had Josie’s messy bedroom in the background of a couple of his shots. And quite frankly he could’ve framed his shots do not include that.

On 6/16/2023 at 7:02 PM, llucie said:

I had no idea that Kelton is that level of fuckhead, though I'm unsurprised. Josie could easily support herself without needing his man-baby ass. Not that she would ever leave.

• Upvote 9

Well, he was obsessed about sweet, compliant 16yo Josie and it seems like the reality of a grown-ass woman isn't as great as he expected.  Keep growing Josie and outgrow him if he won't grow with you.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3

So Kelly was in Connecticut got Mama Langdon's birthday. She brought Ellie, Addallee, Callie and Warden with her. Jackson also appeared in ob pic (but likely came on his own or maybe with a Duggar boy). Michelle Duggar was also in the photos. 

From the photos, it looks like the Langdons might have 7 kids. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic