IGNORED

Bates 32: More Weddings, More Babies

Coconut Flan

3 hours ago, Johannah said:

It’s amazing to me that these relatives didn’t have even more of an influence on the Bates kids. He didn’t just occasionally dance, he was in a dancing club! And a DJ! Plus, the shag is a pretty non-sexual 50s approved wholesome social dance. I just can’t believe Gil and Kelly got away with, Jesus doesn’t want you to dance or you might go to hell. But pay no attention to uncle Craig over there. 

Uncle Craig was obvious very close to his lesbian niece (the reference to Candace made me curious and yes, niece Danielle is married to a woman), so I feel like Gil and Kelly told the kids to ignore him a lot. 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 6

18 hours ago, Johannah said:

It’s amazing to me that these relatives didn’t have even more of an influence on the Bates kids. He didn’t just occasionally dance, he was in a dancing club! And a DJ! Plus, the shag is a pretty non-sexual 50s approved wholesome social dance. I just can’t believe Gil and Kelly got away with, Jesus doesn’t want you to dance or you might go to hell. But pay no attention to uncle Craig over there. 

It rubbed off on Carlin! https://www.knoxnews.com/story/entertainment/2019/10/04/bringing-up-bates-why-gil-changed-his-mind-dancing-carlin-wedding/3819281002/

Nathan danced with Mama Jane and with Esther.

• Upvote 4

All of the Bateses appear to be converging in SC for Uncle Craig’s funeral. Erin, Alyssa, Katie, Nathan, Trace, Carlin or their babies spotted so far.

• Upvote 3

OMG seeing them all together like that is insane. There are so many of them. 😮 I thought oh a group shot of the bates with the other families. Nope, I think that's just Gil and Kelly's brood plus the parents. My husband is one of four and our total with siblings, kids, spouses, and grandparents is 20.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

I'm not a stickler for black at funerals, and it doesn't look like it was requested based on what Bill & Jane/Gil & Kelly are wearing, but Erin & Tori's families really stand out in their Easter pastels against everyone else's black/navy.

• Upvote 4

There are 59 people in that photo.

2 grandparents. 

2 parents.

19 kids.

12 spouses. 

24 grandkids (and at least 2 in utero). 

Just now, OHFL2009 said:

I'm not a stickler for black at funerals, and it doesn't look like it was requested based on what Bill & Jane/Gil & Kelly are wearing, but Erin & Tori's families really stand out in their Easter pastels against everyone else's black/navy.

Erin posted a picture with Jenny and Jenny is wearing blue, so I wonder if it was requested of the close family? Erin and her aunt are particularly close, so I could see her being involved in the service. She and Tori may have done the music. 

I actually counter 57 in that photo. Charlotte and Kolter appear to be missing? (Hazel is hard to spot as she is behind Josie's head). 

• Upvote 6

10 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

I actually counter 57 in that photo. Charlotte and Kolter appear to be missing? (Hazel is hard to spot as she is behind Josie's head). 

I came here to see if anyone else noted that photo, I kept trying to go thru Bates kid by Bates kid to count lol, and I also see everyone except Kolter and Charlotte. I'm also mildly amused that Jackson is randomly holding Hailey not even next to her parents. Generally though based on this photo I did *not* guess it was from a funeral, til I read this thread...it's a very smiley posey picture. 

This massive Bates conglomeration is occurring about an hour from where I live...

Edited by ihaveanexamintwodays
  • Upvote 3

On 4/4/2023 at 2:14 PM, OHFL2009 said:

I don't have kids--but is it common for every kid to have funeral wear on hand? I don't think my little nieces and nephews do.

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I don't have kids--but is it common for every kid to have funeral wear on hand? I don't think my little nieces and nephews do.

I don’t think it’s typical. Sunday best would be the norm in my opinion. But the Bateses who are influencers seem to participate fully in the black funeral attire even for the kids.

• Upvote 5

Ugh no I never had funeral wear for my kids, and so when we had funerals that we took them to (my mom, my husband's grandmother, and grandfather) we had to do the mad-rush to the mall to find something. Nothing like dealing with a death in the family and having a trip to the mall in there. And the day after my mom died, my kids all got lice and school was canceled because of the swine flu issue, if any of you remember that. That week was pure was hell.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, JDuggs said:

I don’t think it’s typical. Sunday best would be the norm in my opinion. But the Bateses who are influencers seem to participate fully in the black funeral attire even for the kids.

I'm guessing some had it leftover from Trace and Lydia's wedding where everyone was in black or white, though this is a more appropriate venue for that combo...

• Upvote 3

I had to gather a bunch of outgrown nice sweaters and dark colored pants that might fit my cousin’s son because she had nothing for him to wear to a funeral. It’s something you don’t really think about. 

• Upvote 4

I think many kids have more options for dark clothing or even black. But I have always had to go shopping. About 18 months ago, I had to take my 13-year-old's best friend shopping for something to wear to her mother's funeral. One of the hardest shopping trips ever. At least when my mom died, I was too shocked to think about it. 

• Love 15

When my FIL died, all 3 of his sons and his SIL had to go buy a black suit. They all owned suits, of course, but none of them owned a black suit. I remember my husband's panic when he realized he needed a suit. 

This is one way where it is slightly easier as a woman because I had several black dresses/skirts and a black cardigan. 

Seems odd for them all to be smiling at a funeral for man that really wasn't that old. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

43 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Seems odd for them all to be smiling at a funeral for man that really wasn't that old. 

43 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Not sure how I got two boxes! 

Kelly posted a video of him. He looked much older than 55.

Edited by marmalade

It was the first time that some of the family was meeting Hailey and most of the family was meeting Rhett. Since the entire family was together, it makes sense to do an updated family photo. If Bill isn’t doing well, they all probably want to get as many photos as they can of their grandparents with everyone. 

• Upvote 10

41 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Kelly posted a video of him. He looked much older than 55.

He had cancer and was going through some pretty severe treatments and it seems like he had been sick for some time. 

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Were M. And Brandon present? 

Yes.

I didn't know he had cancer. That would explain his appearance. 

• Upvote 2

On 4/4/2023 at 8:15 PM, CanadianMamam said:

There are 59 people in that photo.

2 grandparents. 

2 parents.

19 kids.

12 spouses. 

24 grandkids (and at least 2 in utero). 

It’s crazy. If I look at my side of the family and my husband’s in comparison, there’s

1 grandma / 2 grandparents 

2 parents / 2 parents

2 kids / 4 kids (incl half siblings)

2 spouses / 3 spouses 

3 grandkids / 5 grandkids (incl those from half siblings

That’s 10 / 16 people (and grandkids are unlikely to increase any more, unlike with the Bates!).

1-2 children is average here, 3 seems to be getting more common, 4 children would be considered an unusually big family here, 5 and more would be REALLY uncommon.

I feel like 3-6 kids is more common in the US? Or maybe that’s just because I mostly read about fundies and influencers popping up on my Instagram tend to use their many children as props.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, GreenBeans said:

It’s crazy. If I look at my side of the family and my husband’s in comparison, there’s

1 grandma / 2 grandparents 

2 parents / 2 parents

2 kids / 4 kids (incl half siblings)

2 spouses / 3 spouses 

3 grandkids / 5 grandkids (incl those from half siblings

That’s 10 / 16 people (and grandkids are unlikely to increase any more, unlike with the Bates!).

1-2 children is average here, 3 seems to be getting more common, 4 children would be considered an unusually big family here, 5 and more would be REALLY uncommon.

I feel like 3-6 kids is more common in the US? Or maybe that’s just because I mostly read about fundies and influencers popping up on my Instagram tend to use their many children as props.

In current childbearing years, I personally know no family with more than 3 kids. This does not include influencers or fundie families as I don’t really know those folks. I’d say 1-2 kids being the most common in the US. Families with 2 kids are probably the most common.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

5 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

In current childbearing years, I personally know no family with more than 3 kids. This does not include influencers or fundie families as I don’t really know those folks. I’d say 1-2 kids being the most common in the US. Families with 2 kids are probably the most common.

I only know a few families currently in childbearing years with more than 3. I know them because they are mostly families in my children’s school. All of my friends from high school and college only have 1-3 kids except for 1. She has 4. She is Catholic and has 5 sisters herself. I figured she would be the only one in my friend group to have more than average. I can pretty much say she’s done at 4. She’s so busy. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic