IGNORED

Joe and Kendra 17: How Many and Counting?

Coconut Flan

6 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

In Spain, Justo (Justus) and Justa/Justina (Justine) indicate the person is 80-90 year old. So for me, it's a shocking name for a baby. It also hs a very strong meaning in Spanish, because "justo" means "righteous".

Maybe Justus is going to make a comeback like Otto or Walter?

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Smash! said:

The first time I heard Walter for anyone under the age of about 80 was finding out Rainn Wilson named his son Walter. I never would’ve thought of it but I was surprised how much I liked it! I’m glad it’s making a comeback.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Smash! said:

At least in the U.S., my guess is that Justus has already peaked and won’t be coming back soon.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.c49a5db2417f9d1a3911c01a183418b9.png

• Thank You 2

15 hours ago, JDuggs said:

Justus is a real name, just not currently popular. It was a little more common in the 1990s and early 2000s. I remember the name from a character on General Hospital back in the ‘80s. It doesn’t seem like Kendra and Joe’s style since they haven’t gone biblical before, but Kendra’s parents seem to be more into biblical names. I’m also surprised they went with a J name. First Duggar grand with a J name as far as we know.

I was also thinking of the GH character. 

13 hours ago, NoneIsEnough said:

Warden Bates middle name is Justice. 

I was thinking about that too. It is the most eye-roll-worthy of all the Bafes kids names. Although Isaiah Courage is up there. 

• Upvote 4

I looked up the orbituary online. Besides the revelation of baby Justus name, there's another thing I really don't get her. 

Tyjeer? Is that even a real name? (English isn't my first language, so I honestly don't know). I assume it's a younger sibling to Moriah. 

99F52DC1-9B3B-41CC-B482-97D4C3344340_4_5005_c.jpeg

Edited by xenobia
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, xenobia said:

I looked up the orbituary online. Besides the revelation of baby Justus name, there's another thing I really don't get her. 

Tyjeer? Is that even a real name? (English isn't my first language, so I honestly don't know). I assume it's a younger sibling to Moriah. 

Well, they misspelled “Duggar” and said “niece’s and nephew’s” so I wouldn’t bet that Tyjeer is correct. The others are all extremely fundie names that we see in numerous families that we discuss.

• Upvote 7

I think that its the spelling I can't deal with. I keep reading it as Just Us Duggar.  Like its Just Us Duggars.  LOL.  I know its pronounced like Justice but I can't help it...I see Just Us Duggar. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 1

On 9/11/2023 at 6:48 AM, GreenBeans said:

It’s fairly popular here in Germany right now, not a top 10 name, but not uncommon either. 

And it’s funny how differently names are perceived in different countries.“Justice” wouldn’t even be a name here, “Justin” would be considered very much an indicator of low social class, whereas “Justus” would be considered higher middle class.

I think pronunciation matters a lot here. To my ear, Justus in German sounds closer to Eustace (upper class, classical roots) than Justice. One of the things that makes Justin (and similar names) lower-class sounding here is that they’re imported with the American pronunciation. 

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 3

3 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

I think pronunciation matters a lot here. To my ear, Justus in German sounds closer to Eustace (upper class, classical roots) than Justice. One of the things that makes Justin (and similar names) lower-class sounding here is that they’re imported with the American pronunciation. 

For Germany I completely agree. And as the Germans (thinking they are pronouncing it the English/American way) don't say J as J but sounding it more like Tsch it just sounds idiotic. Justin they usually pronounce Tschasteen (the a sound like in ant) (of course not all of them do, it has a lot to do with Region and educational background) 

• Upvote 1

In the Netherlands there is now a ‘trend’ with mostly ‘lowerclass’ people to put a ‘D’ before the ‘J’ to indicate it is pronounced the ‘American’ way.

So Justin could be pronounced with a Dutch J (like the above mentioned Eustace) of with the American J, but writing Djustin can only be pronounced American. 
It does however just look like you can’t spell properly. And they also put it with names that don’t exist with Dutch pronunciation, like Djaydon. 

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

In the Netherlands there is now a ‘trend’ with mostly ‘lowerclass’ people to put a ‘D’ before the ‘J’ to indicate it is pronounced the ‘American’ way.

So Justin could be pronounced with a Dutch J (like the above mentioned Eustace) of with the American J, but writing Djustin can only be pronounced American. 
It does however just look like you can’t spell properly. And they also put it with names that don’t exist with Dutch pronunciation, like Djaydon. 

That’s so interesting that other languages see the similarity between D and J in the English American Language. It reminds me of the time I was playing Scategories with my cousin. We were tweens and it was late at night so we were tired. You have to write down as many words for the category as possible. But only using the same letter. So the letter might be J for that round. You have to quickly write a bunch of words like “name an instrument.” Well I shit you not, she wrote jrum instead of drum. We laughed and laughed. But I swear when we said drum out loud, we could almost hear a tiny bit of j in the way we said it. So we understood why she wrote it with a J. So I sort of understand Djustin spelled like that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

That’s so interesting that other languages see the similarity between D and J in the English American Language

It’s a thing! When I lived in Russia they routinely transliterated English names starting with J into Dj, since Russian only has a soft j sound, like French ‘je’. So you’d get the equivalent of Djeremy, Djames, etc in your visa.  At that time it was only for foreigners, but pretty similar to what @CarrotCake mentioned otherwise. 

• Upvote 6

On 9/11/2023 at 5:07 PM, xenobia said:

Tyjeer belongs to Dorothy,  Paul's sister

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

On 9/12/2023 at 8:07 AM, xenobia said:

So Kendras Mother had another baby was she pregnant again with kendra? I know Isaiah and MOriah where in time with Kendras pregnancies. Lord I missed that. My stalking levels have dropped 

Edited by AussieKrissy
never mind I should have kept reading lol
  • Haha 1

Nah. Tyjeer (or whatever) belongs to Paul Caldwell's sister. No more kids from Christina. 

Edited by marmalade
Autofill strikes again!
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

On 9/10/2023 at 8:03 PM, Giraffe said:

Thanks. What a stupid name. There are some Justuses in the Bible but other than that I can only see it as “Justice” as in, “we received Justice following an accurate verdict for the family pedo.”

That's what my son named his iguana--a clever play on "Just Us" and "Justice" for, like, an 8-year-old.

On 9/17/2023 at 5:19 AM, CarrotCake said:

Okay, I'm confused, knowing nothing about Dutch. But my friend who is Dutch said she spelled her daughter's name, Tanja, the Dutch way, so I thought a Dutch 'j' is pronounced like an American "y."

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, patsymae said:

That's what my son named his iguana--a clever play on "Just Us" and "Justice" for, like, an 8-year-old.

Okay, I'm confused, knowing nothing about Dutch. But my friend who is Dutch said she spelled her daughter's name, Tanja, the Dutch way, so I thought a Dutch 'j' is pronounced like an American "y."

You're right, I think what the poster above meant was if you want an 'English J sound' at the start of the name in a Dutch speaking country, putting a D in front of the j makes it sound that way. If it is just a J, you would say an English y sound (so like the y in you, but at the start of justin, if you put a d in front of i, even if you pronounce the j in dutch like a y in english it sounds like a j in Dutch, just from the combination.)

Goodness it is difficult to describe sounds in two different languages!

On a 'j' sound language tangent, the J sound in Julie would usually be pronounced the French way in Belgium, but you could prounce it the Dutch way or the English way.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

On 9/17/2023 at 4:19 PM, CarrotCake said:

Ha. Interesting. My country was colonized by the Dutch for so long, that we spelled J as DJ until the early 70s. J is for Y, so you pronounce Jojo as Yoyo. TJ is for C. It was called the Van Ophuijsen spelling system.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

On 9/14/2023 at 11:03 AM, lumpentheologie said:

That’s so interesting! It’s awful, but Eustace is a name I’ve thought of as a stereotype of a very backwoods bumpkin. I think it was the name of a character on some old sit-com. I’ve never met anyone with that name in real life. But the stereotypes it brings up to me are very opposite of of your take on it. Name associations are fascinating. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mama Mia said:

That’s so interesting! It’s awful, but Eustace is a name I’ve thought of as a stereotype of a very backwoods bumpkin. I think it was the name of a character on some old sit-com. I’ve never met anyone with that name in real life. But the stereotypes it brings up to me are very opposite of of your take on it. Name associations are fascinating. 

"There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it."

If we're naming children in line with Harold and Alberta Scrubb from The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, I have thoughts. And not good ones. At least Eustace does subsequently become a decent person with experience.

• Upvote 8

Names starting with Eu aren’t popular in the US at this time. Eugene, Eugenia, Eustace, Eula all used to be more common 100 years ago but not now. I sort of like Eulalie though. I saw that on a tombstone and thought it was pretty. 

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

sort of like Eulalie though. I saw that on a tombstone and thought it was pretty. 

It is pretty, but it will forever be the ladies undergarment company of the wannabe dictator, Roderick Spode, in Jeeves and Wooster for me! Good name for a cat, though.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Names starting with Eu aren’t popular in the US at this time. Eugene, Eugenia, Eustace, Eula all used to be more common 100 years ago but not now. I sort of like Eulalie though. I saw that on a tombstone and thought it was pretty. 

Sister Eulalie was the name of my 1st grade teacher—Catholic school. I have very rarely heard the name since, tho I did rather recently, can’t remember how it came up. I see Eustace a lot while photographing 100 year old  headstones at the cemetery. How’s it pronounced? You-stus? Elvira was very popular with the Italians back then, too.

Another name with the eu sound that has fallen out of favor is Beulah.

Edited by Cam

44 minutes ago, Cam said:

Sister Eulalie was the name of my 1st grade teacher—Catholic school. I have very rarely heard the name since, tho I did rather recently, can’t remember how it came up. I see Eustace a lot while photographing 100 year old  headstones at the cemetery. How’s it pronounced? You-stus? Elvira was very popular with the Italians back then, too.

Another name with the eu sound that has fallen out of favor is Beulah.

Yeah, Beulah and Eula rhyme and are both unpopular.