IGNORED

Joe and Kendra 17: How Many and Counting?

Coconut Flan

My main confusion is why did the boys get biblical names and the girls get random names?  I think it’s also partly how Jill says the names than the actual names.  The way she goes up in the middle of each names makes them sound harsher than I usually associate with those names. 
better than Newman Christian, though

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, KWLand said:

My main confusion is why did the boys get biblical names and the girls get random names?  I think it’s also partly how Jill says the names than the actual names.  The way she goes up in the middle of each names makes them sound harsher than I usually associate with those names. 
better than Newman Christian, though

1st reason: females won’t work professional jobs or leadership positions in the church. So why my give them pretty or cutesy names? 
2nd reason: the Bible is a sexist book that mostly focuses on men. There are tons more male names in the Bible than female names. When a fundie family uses all Bible names, they all use the same female names. That’s why there are so many Annas, Rebeccas, Marys, Hannahs, etc. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 12

6 hours ago, bbfreethinker said:

Where I'm from Sadie is an Amish name.

Sadie is derived from Sarah so is Zara and a couple of others I am blanking on. So makes sense it’s like a bible name I suppose 

Sadie is derived from Sarah so is Zara and a couple of others I am blanking on. So makes sense it’s like a bible name I suppose 

• Rufus Bless 1

Back in the day, there were tons and tons of women with the same name. That’s why there are so many nicknames for common names. Mary nicknames are Moll, Molly, and Mamie. Sarah nicknames are Sally and Sadie. Catherine is Kitty, Kate, Katie, and Cathy. Elizabeth has Eliza, Lizzie, Betty, Beth, Betsy, and I think even Nelly. Even a name as short as Ann has nicknames of Nan and Nancy. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

41 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Back in the day, there were tons and tons of women with the same name. That’s why there are so many nicknames for common names. Mary nicknames are Moll, Molly, and Mamie. Sarah nicknames are Sally and Sadie. Catherine is Kitty, Kate, Katie, and Cathy. Elizabeth has Eliza, Lizzie, Betty, Beth, Betsy, and I think even Nelly. Even a name as short as Ann has nicknames of Nan and Nancy. 

And all still better than Cambree, Spurgeon or Zade-

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 9

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Nelly is usually Eleanor, along with Nora, Ellie, etc. Family trees are interesting because so many people were named for parents and grandparents and they had to differenciate somehow, so people went by middle names or stretched nickname possibilities to their breaking points. I mean, Margaret--Magre--Meg--Peg--Peggy? Martha--Martie--Matsy--Patsy? And yet they endure even now.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

On 3/15/2023 at 10:41 PM, Jana814 said:

My friend’s daughter is named Hannah. She needed a “H” name to honor her grandmother who’s name was Helen. 

Using the same initial is a really sweet way to honor someone without using their exact name. 

Ok. Idk what’s going on but in reactions I’m getting no upvote. Just the middle finger or a love…?😐 I like my middle ground. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, EmiSue said:

Nelly is usually Eleanor, along with Nora, Ellie, etc. Family trees are interesting because so many people were named for parents and grandparents and they had to differenciate somehow, so people went by middle names or stretched nickname possibilities to their breaking points. I mean, Margaret--Magre--Meg--Peg--Peggy? Martha--Martie--Matsy--Patsy? And yet they endure even now.

Nell and Nelly were often Ellen or Helen.  In fact, I think Nell was most common for Helen.

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

You can add Polly to the Mary list. Elizabeth had also Lilly, Libby, and Zabel. Good point on hte nicknames. 

• Upvote 2

My family is full of nicknames that actually aren’t standard. A lot of our nicknames are based on the person’s looks like “Red.” Or personality. There are definitely some overlapping names in our family. It took my husband forever to learn both the real names and nicknames of my cousins, aunts, and uncles. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, SunnySide said:

Using the same initial is a really sweet way to honor someone without using their exact name. 

Ok. Idk what’s going on but in reactions I’m getting no upvote. Just the middle finger or a love…?😐 I like my middle ground. 

All the kids in my family have first and middle names picked in honor of dead relatives*. I'm a woman named after Alexander and Mary, my initials are AM but neither of those names. The important part is I've always known for whom I was named, and what made them so special that my parents decided to name me after them. 

From the namer's point of view, my father died before any of his grandchildren were born and his first grandson bears his name, which has resulted in countless opportunities to tell stores about my dad to his grandkids. The next generation all know about the amazing people they are named for, and one of my proudest moments was the day my nephew said "I miss Grandpa, even though I never met him." 🥰

*my family is Jewish and tradition prohibits naming a baby for someone still alive. My sister-in-law tried to score points with my mom by suggesting using her name as an in-utero baby's middle name and instead of being honored, my mother was horrified. Luckily we're the type of family where someone explained the reason for my mom's reaction to my sister-in-law, and instead of being the start of a long running family drama, it's just an example of things that happen when people from different backgrounds (Jewish boy from the city married a farmer's daughter from the country) create families. Each side learns the other's history and uses the best of all cultures to raise the kids. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 6

In Ireland, there are so many diminutives of Margaret. Maggie, Peggy, Peig, Daisy, Rita… Then Brigid can be Breda, Bridie, Bríd…. Mary is shortened to May or Mai or Mae. These are almost always older women’s names. Only Maggie and May have become fashionable again.

• Upvote 4

I always love hearing the story behind the names that parents choose. Sometimes names that seem stupid at first glance have wonderful stories behind them. I don’t like Newman but there is likely thought out reasons behind the name. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Irishy said:

In Ireland, there are so many diminutives of Margaret. Maggie, Peggy, Peig, Daisy, Rita… Then Brigid can be Breda, Bridie, Bríd…. Mary is shortened to May or Mai or Mae. These are almost always older women’s names. Only Maggie and May have become fashionable again.

I love Brigid-

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, Expectopatronus said:

I always love hearing the story behind the names that parents choose. Sometimes names that seem stupid at first glance have wonderful stories behind them. I don’t like Newman but there is likely thought out reasons behind the name. 

Oh there was.  It’s because when you become a Christian you become a new man.  So Newman Christian 

the reason irks me more than the name.  

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 2

I got my mom’s favorite name for a girl since she was a teen. This is why I cherish my name.

Personally I love the tradition of naming children after someone but using not the exact same name. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, KWLand said:

Oh there was.  It’s because when you become a Christian you become a new man.  So Newman Christian 

the reason irks me more than the name.  

Okay, so in that case the reasoning is stupid as well as the name. 

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, Irishy said:

I have heard Pegeen as a nickname for Margaret on Call the Midwife. She was an Irish traveller, but is Pegeen used as a nickname for Margaret in non-Irish traveller people? 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

I have heard Pegeen as a nickname for Margaret on Call the Midwife. She was an Irish traveller, but is Pegeen used as a nickname for Margaret in non-Irish traveller people? 

Pegeen is the anglicised version of the Irish name Peigin (pronounced the same) which literally translates as Little Peg. So it's been a common abbreviation of Margaret in ireland for centuries. And no, you don't hear it much either in mainstream Irish culture or in the traveller community these days, it's too old-fashioned!

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

I record local history by photographing headstones in area cemeteries and uploading them to the Ancestry website, Find A Grave. Currently, I’m working on a Catholic cemetery in its “St. Patrick” section which consists of mostly all Irish families from the mid 1800s-early 1900s. I think it must have been a rite of passage for every Irish parent to name a daughter “Bridget”! There are tons. I get crossed-eyed when the moms and wives are also named Bridget; it becomes confusing and makes connecting family lineage tedious. (I have, however, always loved the name Bridget which is not as popular a name these days). Margaret is a very close second in popularity for female names in this Irish section, plus so many Patricks, Josephs and James; Thomases and Johns! (And this is but one small cemetery section out of how many in the world). Very few strayed from the most common of names. No wonder they needed nicknames! 

I’ve seen the name “Seraphine” on a headstone which I think is so pretty, and I like Hanorah, too. Something about older names like that have a sort of romantic elegance to them.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

16 minutes ago, Cam said:

I record local history by photographing headstones in area cemeteries and uploading them to the Ancestry website, Find A Grave. Currently, I’m working on a Catholic cemetery in its “St. Patrick” section which consists of mostly all Irish families from the mid 1800s-early 1900s. I think it must have been a rite of passage for every Irish parent to name a daughter “Bridget”! There are tons. I get crossed-eyed when the moms and wives are also named Bridget; it becomes confusing and makes connecting family lineage tedious. (I have, however, always loved the name Bridget which is not as popular a name these days). Margaret is a very close second in popularity for female names in this Irish section, plus so many Patricks, Josephs and James; Thomases and Johns! (And this is but one small cemetery section out of how many in the world). Very few strayed from the most common of names. No wonder they needed nicknames! 

I’ve seen the name “Seraphine” on a headstone which I think is so pretty, and I like Hanorah, too. Something about older names like that have a sort of romantic elegance to them.

An old friend of mine from college said she would always name her daughter Bridget because Bridget Jones’ Diary was her favorite movie of all time. I never told her this, but I suspect she relates very much to Bridget. She is such a fun person to be around but she’s always making social gaffs that we all laugh about. She’s a good sport about all the funny and awkward things she’s done in public. I can be very awkward and say the wrong thing too. So she was in good company when I was around. All this to say, yes her daughter is Bridget. And I think the name fits her well.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, IrishCarrie said:

Pegeen is the anglicised version of the Irish name Peigin (pronounced the same) which literally translates as Little Peg. So it's been a common abbreviation of Margaret in ireland for centuries. And no, you don't hear it much either in mainstream Irish culture or in the traveller community these days, it's too old-fashioned!

Pegeen was the name of Patrick's future wife in the iconic classic film "Auntie Mame".  That's the only time I ever heard it.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Cam said:

Fun Ugly fact from American history: in the 19th century, Bridget became an ethnic slur for poor Irish woman. from https://www.newyorkfamilyhistory.org/blog/bridgets-irish-domestic-servants-new-york

Along with poor working conditions, the Irish domestic servant shouldered social stigma.

“Bridget,” an unflattering caricature of an Irish maid appeared in newspaper cartoons throughout the country. The term seems to have been born out of nativist anxiety over the inundation of Irish Catholic immigrants.

Contrasted with impressions of an elegant and matronly American lady of the household, Bridget was hardly a she—masculine, simian, toothless, unmannered, boisterous, et cetera. She teetered between human and ape, between man and woman, and therefore in the eyes of her society, the Irish domestic servant was always less-than. 

• Upvote 2

On 3/7/2023 at 4:21 AM, xenobia said:

Another possibility is that someone else had a miscarriage, but didn't announce it to us. But I agree that it's most likely Jed&Kateys #2 that they had already announced to the family. 

IIRC he started to say something, then said 30. I’ve always kind of wondered if Joy is now #29, but he maybe was unsure of adding Annabelle to the mix (since she was such a late miscarriage/stillbirth) so he said 30. Is that possible? 

My example of a nickname story… 

Back info. I don’t read sarcasm at all well. I’m a very literal in the way I take things. 
start a new job all of 22, I get introduced to a guy told his name is Barney. 
I think my jaw hit the floor, I could not believe that his parents jinxed on the name or had the physic ability to name their kid Barney.
Because this man grew up (not very high lol) to be the human version of the cartoon character Barney Rubble. 

later found out his name was Peter and nicknamed Barney cause you guessed it…

I still chuckle occasionally over my stupidity. 

• Haha 4