IGNORED

Dillards 92: Prosecuting All Of Us

samurai_sarah

21 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

This is not a rule, but it is very polite to include a link when bringing up news and stories from social media.

https://people.com/jill-duggar-dillard-family-reality-shows-nearly-tore-marriage-apart-derick-dillard-exclusive-7965800

They had to be available for 20 hours a week of filming. I can’t imagine the stress of that! I’m in school for a total of 22.5 classroom hours this semester. With working fulltime in addition to that it feels like my life is school and nothing else. I can’t imagine having that stress. And I’m sure it wasn’t a set schedule for them! 

• Upvote 12

44 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

They had to be available for 20 hours a week of filming. I can’t imagine the stress of that! I’m in school for a total of 22.5 classroom hours this semester. With working fulltime in addition to that it feels like my life is school and nothing else. I can’t imagine having that stress. And I’m sure it wasn’t a set schedule for them! 

I agree. I like this quote from the article:

"Therapy was the gift we didn't know we needed," Jill says. "We initially went into it with the goal of re-establishing a relationship with my parents, but once we go there, the therapist was like, 'I think we maybe need to do a little more processing, a little more sorting out here. You guys need to figure out who you are.' Which was so wise. It helped us so much."

Sounds like they found a good therapist. I wonder if it was a Christian counselor or a secular counselor.

Edited by FiveAcres
  • Upvote 20
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

"Whenever we were at odds with what her dad thought we should be doing with filming, he would say things that would be very damaging," Derick alleges. "He would weaponize the relationship and say, 'Is this you Jill, or is this you, Derek? Are you leading your wife astray and doing things that are not supportive of marriage?' And I think that was a red flag."

Ooof. I am SO unsurprised. 

This has made me even more excited for their book. I'm so glad they're standing up to Jim Bob and that she acknowledges so much of her behavior is done for her siblings benefit, because I guarantee you those younger siblings are watching. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 17

So much to unpack from that article:

1) How come JB didn’t need to obey his parents and run every major decision through his father? Or Michelle’s when he was still alive? Could Jill not connect the dots?

2) If the show was too much and they didn’t really want to do it, why quit WM as opposed to the show? Maybe the show being only 20/hr/wk and work being FT influenced that decision.

3) How much was $ clouding their decisions- they seemed really on board with the show until Josh’s crimes were made public. As a newer employee at WM, DD sure seemed to have a lot of time off.

I think 2 things can be equally true: JB is horrific and DD enjoyed having that free time that not having to work every day allows for. Clearly the Dillards wanted to live lives independent from JB’s control and financial strings.

Glad they got therapy/counseling. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3

Jim Bob and Michelle responded in part: “We do not believe the best way to resolve conflicts, facilitate forgiveness and reconciliation, or to communicate through difficulties is through the media or in a public forum…” 

• Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Haha 18

Jill and Derick's memoir, Counting the Cost, will be available wherever books are sold on Tuesday, Sept. 12.

I'm so glad they clarified where you can get the book! I probably would've made an embarrassing mistake, like going to wherever food is sold, or pet supplies, or something.

• Haha 28

40 minutes ago, Antipatriarch said:

I'm so glad they clarified where you can get the book! I probably would've made an embarrassing mistake, like going to wherever food is sold, or pet supplies, or something.

I just take this as you don’t have to go to a specific website or something to get it. Also, that it’s going to be so widely released, so all of the stores will carry it. I’m fourth on the waiting list at my library. Hopefully I’ll read it before I read every single detail here.

• Upvote 7

My Kindle is still saying a January release date, and it won't give me the option to cancel the pre-order, so I assume I've been charged for it. I ordered it so long ago that I'd have to go on a computer to check my banking info. I'm hoping that it will release to my Kindle on September regardless. 

Nothing to do with the meat of the article but I'm strangely annoyed they spelled Derick's name 3 different ways in the article. I only noticed because two were in the same paragraph and the third was the photo caption right above. It's not that important but it's sloppy and makes my brain itch. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, AverageGiraffe said:

Nothing to do with the meat of the article but I'm strangely annoyed they spelled Derick's name 3 different ways in the article. I only noticed because two were in the same paragraph and the third was the photo caption right above. It's not that important but it's sloppy and makes my brain itch. 

I have to use DD because for the life of me I can not remember how to spell his name. It’s like I have a block-

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Jim Bob and Michelle responded in part: “We do not believe the best way to resolve conflicts, facilitate forgiveness and reconciliation, or to communicate through difficulties is through the media or in a public forum…” 

Serious? They sold their lives and the lives of their kids to be on TV/Media. They would still be at it today! 

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 7

21 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I have to use DD because for the life of me I can not remember how to spell his name. It’s like I have a block-

Honestly I can't either, but if I was going to misspell it in something published I'd at least use the same spelling every time! They have Derick and Derek in the same paragraph a sentence apart, and then Derrick in the photo caption. 

• Upvote 5

Just now, JDuggs said:

I usually want to go with the two Rs, but the whole naming Frederick based on Derick has helped me remember.

And they're based on Rick Dillard. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

I’m just thinking back to all of JB’s shenanigans: refusing to educate his children, no safety concerns, choosing male spouses for his daughters that weren’t really gainfully employed (most) or educated (some), preaching debt free living while denying his kids the tools to live debt free, promoting leaving and cleaving while seemingly not allowing them to leave and the BS about having kid after kid and BC being evil. Not to mention having his adult kids work while he took their paychecks.He was mind screwing and setting every one of those kids for failure, and being a dick about it all in the process. He is simply awful.

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 13
  • Thank You 1

Yup, I love how these families who’ve sold their children’s privacy for money and more control come back and cry privacy when the shit hits the fan. 

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 22
  • I Agree 10

So Jim Bob’s rules about always obeying the parents conflicted with Jim Bob’s rules that your marriage is the most important thing and the husband is the head of the household?

Interesting.  

Edited by Father Son Holy Goat
  • Upvote 18
  • I Agree 4

38 minutes ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

So Jim Bob’s rules about always obeying the parents conflicted with Jim Bob’s rules that your marriage is the most important thing and the husband is the head of the household?

Interesting.  

Shhh, JB’s teachings only work if they’re beneficial to him.

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 9

1 hour ago, Giraffe said:

Shhh, JB’s teachings only work if they’re beneficial to him.

Yep. I’ve always said that the only altar that JB worships at is the one that fills his pocket with buckle loads of dinero.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 8

Have there been any predictions/discussions here about whose book, Jill’s or Jinger’s, will be more successful? I’m hoping it will be Jill’s, but are more of the book buyers people who wanted to support Jinger’s religious journey rather than people who want the Duggar dirt? 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eyeroll 1

44 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

Have there been any predictions/discussions here about whose book, Jill’s or Jinger’s, will be more successful? I’m hoping it will be Jill’s, but are more of the book buyers people who wanted to support Jinger’s religious journey rather than people who want the Duggar dirt? 

I’m guessing Jill’s book personally 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

7 hours ago, viii said:

My Kindle is still saying a January release date, and it won't give me the option to cancel the pre-order, so I assume I've been charged for it. I ordered it so long ago that I'd have to go on a computer to check my banking info. I'm hoping that it will release to my Kindle on September regardless. 

It doesn't charge until it's delivered to your device :)

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

I am looking forward to Jill's book. Whatever their former beliefs, and their current beliefs, Jill and Derick chose an extremely difficult course when they separated themselves from her family. We are all so invested in family attachment that it feels very nearly insane to cut ties, even among those of us who are on the progressive/atheist spectrum. I was personally terrified on some level about ending contact with toxic family members, including my own mother. Once I passed through that dark, horrifying tunnel, though, I felt so beautifully light and free. We don't have to put up with abuse just because people are blood relatives. I am absolutely thrilled for Jill and Derick and their kids, and I really hope they continue to learn and evolve.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 17

• Coconut Flan locked this topic