IGNORED

Dillards 92: Prosecuting All Of Us

samurai_sarah

I headed over to Jill’s Instagram to see what she’s up to, she harvested basil and made pesto. Jill is so… boring, and I’m so happy for her because after everything she’s been through boring is good.

Edited by Father Son Holy Goat
  • Upvote 20
  • I Agree 28

On 8/12/2023 at 6:21 PM, Father Son Holy Goat said:

I headed over to Jill’s Instagram to see what she’s up to, she harvested basil and made pesto. Jill is so… boring, and I’m so happy for her because after everything she’s been through boring is good.

Jill, Joy and Jinger all seem to be living lives that match their personalities and they appear content.  The one that leaves me scratching my head is Jessa. She was once considered the hot and outspoken sister and she now appears to not have much of an independent life or to have spread her wings at all. I wonder if she is rather disappointed at her life’s trajectory at this point?

• Upvote 14

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Jill, Joy and Jinger all seem to be living lives that match their personalities and they appear content.  The one that leaves me scratching my head is Jessa. She was once considered the hot and outspoken sister and she now appears to not have much of an independent life or to have spread her wings at all. I wonder if she is rather disappointed at her life’s trajectory at this point?

Probably not, I think she is happy just the way things are. She is in charge of the marriage, she gets her allowance from JB, she doesn't do much around the house..... 

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2023 at 10:53 AM, SassyPants said:

She might be disappointed but also too comfortable to change. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

On 8/15/2023 at 10:53 AM, SassyPants said:

Yep, lots of us scratching our heads. Jessa has left me wondering if she was only able to perform with that bravado and outspokenness when the tv cameras were around. Once it was all torn down (in a number of ways), she was left drawing a big blank. Like all the air was let out of her balloon. I know people like that, who are bolstered and buoyed up by those around them but really have little or no oomph on their own. Like the kids who peak in high school. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4

Just a couple years ago, Jessa responded to a poster regarding children and sin. She's firmly in the Children Are Sinners camp. Sad. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

33 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Just a couple years ago, Jessa responded to a poster regarding children and sin. She's firmly in the Children Are Sinners camp. Sad. 

That’s Reformed theology for you. Jinger and Jeremy will believe the exact same thing. Total depravity is the first point of the 5 points if Calvanism or TULIP, if you will. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

I was on the library website adding digital books to my hold list this evening, so I plugged ‘Jill Duggar’ into the search engine and her book came up. It’s not often my library gives such an early opportunity to place a hold on an upcoming book. Sometimes they don’t even add best sellers for weeks after they’re released. But, the library shows there’s already 153 holds for “Counting the Cost”. —September 12; less than three weeks now!

Here’s what the description says:

For the first time, discover the unedited truth about the Duggars, the traditional Christian family that captivated the nation on TLC's hit show 19 Kids and Counting. Jill Duggar and her husband Derick are finally ready to share their story, revealing the secrets, manipulation, and intimidation behind the show that remained hidden from their fans.
Jill and Derick knew a normal life wasn't possible for them. As a star on the popular TLC reality show 19 Kids and Counting, Jill grew up in front of viewers who were fascinated by her family's way of life. She was the responsible, second daughter of Jim Bob and Michelle's nineteen kids; always with a baby on her hip and happy to wear the modest ankle-length dresses with throat-high necklines. She didn't protest the strict model of patriarchy that her family followed, which declares that men are superior, that women are expected to be wives and mothers and are discouraged from attaining a higher education, and that parental authority over their children continues well into adulthood, even once they are married.
But as Jill got older, married Derick, and they embarked on their own lives, the red flags became too obvious to ignore.
For as long as they could, Jill and Derick tried to be obedient family members—they weren't willing to rock the boat. But now they're raising a family of their own, and they're done with the secrets. Thanks to time, tears, therapy, and blessings from God, they have the strength to share their journey. Theirs is a remarkable story of the power of the truth and is a moving example of how to find healing through honesty.

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 20

The book description hits and misses. First, the Duggars are referred to as a “traditional Christian family”. I beg to differ.

It goes on to mention “the strict model of patriarchy that her family followed, which declares that men are superior, that women are expected to be wives and mothers and are discouraged from attaining a higher education…”. Yes, call it out! This is something TLC tried to dilute. We didn’t ever hear specifics like this coming out of the talking heads on the show.

The description goes on to add: “…parental authority over their children continues well into adulthood, even once they are married.” Hm. Never heard this emphasized on the show, either. Is this really a part of Fundy religion, or is it JB’s take on the religion, his need to control women to the nth degree? Because I thought once women married, they were under their husband’s authority. The Bible even states as much, that the couple yoke with each other.  And did he exert such extreme control over the boys when they married? 

The book summary ends with “Theirs is a remarkable story of the power of the truth…”.  Sounds dramatic, but it remains to be seen much tea Jill will actually spill how remarkable it actually is. 

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, viii said:

My kindle still says a delivery date of January 16, 2024. I hope I can read it in September!

Amazon (US) says a Sept. 12 for audio, kindle, and hardcover editions. Do you think its a delay because you are in Canada?

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Cam said:

The book description hits and misses. First, the Duggars are referred to as a “traditional Christian family”. I beg to differ.

It goes on to mention “the strict model of patriarchy that her family followed, which declares that men are superior, that women are expected to be wives and mothers and are discouraged from attaining a higher education…”. Yes, call it out! This is something TLC tried to dilute. We didn’t ever hear specifics like this coming out of the talking heads on the show.

The description goes on to add: “…parental authority over their children continues well into adulthood, even once they are married.” Hm. Never heard this emphasized on the show, either. Is this really a part of Fundy religion, or is it JB’s take on the religion, his need to control women to the nth degree? Because I thought once women married, they were under their husband’s authority. The Bible even states as much, that the couple yoke with each other.  And did he exert such extreme control over the boys when they married? 

The book summary ends with “Theirs is a remarkable story of the power of the truth…”.  Sounds dramatic, but it remains to be seen much tea Jill will actually spill how remarkable it actually is. 

IMO, because of Gothard's teachings on authority, that parental authority did extend even into their children's adulthood including after marriage. IFBx taught leave and cleave and once the kid was married, they were a new family and not under their parent's authority anymore.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

14 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Amazon (US) says a Sept. 12 for audio, kindle, and hardcover editions. Do you think its a delay because you are in Canada?

Knowing my luck, probably! 

Although I went on to Amazon.ca and looked up their book on Kindle and it says a delivery date of September 12th. So perhaps my order just hasn't updated the new delivery date, or perhaps I should cancel my pre-order and re-order it with the new delivery date. 

Edited by viii
  • Upvote 4

On 8/23/2023 at 6:42 PM, Father Son Holy Goat said:

She might be disappointed but also too comfortable to change. 

I wonder too if the change will eventually come. 

She reminds me a bit of Erin Bates in that they seem to have gone all-in on their own version of devout Christianity. 

I think it either will carry them pretty far or they might deconstruct on their own private timeline because it will be so humbling to have to reexamine everything. 

I think, too, depending on Ben's role at the church, she may be firmly ensconced in that in real life community which can also carry someone pretty far. Honestly, without either some kind of personal crisis or event to disrupt the worldview or personal therapy, I'm not sure what the first step out for someone who had been indoctrinated would be. If it's working for you, why would you deconstruct?

• Upvote 4

Per Jill’s Instagram she’s going on book tour! Half of the current dates are online. 

I probably won’t attend; if I’m being honest I’m more excited that Max Miller is coming soon.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

Per Jill’s Instagram she’s going on book tour! Half of the current dates are online. 

I probably won’t attend; if I’m being honest I’m more excited that Max Miller is coming soon.

I think she's just signing books. I doubt a speech is included. Ahe doesn't seem to gave interviews lined up like Jinger did. 

On 8/25/2023 at 9:07 AM, viii said:

My kindle still says a delivery date of January 16, 2024. I hope I can read it in September!

My Kobo (ebook) account says September 14.

For anyone who might not want to support Amazon or (my shitty experience) Barnes and Noble, Kobo/Rakuten is the only other ebook retailer I've found. Pretty good so far.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

With Jill being on book tour, I'm wondering how schooling will go for the older boys. 

Nevermind, it looks like she's just doing a couple of local places.

Edited by Audrey2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

With Jill being on book tour, I'm wondering how schooling will go for the older boys. 

Nevermind, it looks like she's just doing a couple of local places.

I dunno, I feel a bit bad Jinger had all the promos to sell a shitty "I have just joined a different cult" book.  Jill's book may have some actual substance and she is not gunna promo the hell out of it to make a buck? I dunno seems like a wasted opportunity to me and a let down from her publishers. Each to their own I suppose 

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I dunno, I feel a bit bad Jinger had all the promos to sell a shitty "I have just joined a different cult" book.  Jill's book may have some actual substance and she is not gunna promo the hell out of it to make a buck? I dunno seems like a wasted opportunity to me and a let down from her publishers. Each to their own I suppose 

There are a few virtual meet and greets, maybe the publishers are taking it slower with Jill. Then again, maybe there is a big press roll out that we don’t know about. 

I’d love to see her get a People cover and be on shows she was previously on with the Duggars. 

• Upvote 8

20 minutes ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

There are a few virtual meet and greets, maybe the publishers are taking it slower with Jill. Then again, maybe there is a big press roll out that we don’t know about. 

I’d love to see her get a People cover and be on shows she was previously on with the Duggars. 

Jill might get interviews once the content of her book is known. Jinger was up front about her content and got lots of  Christian interviews that way. But she even got Tamron Hall, IIRC. maybe a better agent? 

• Upvote 2

Maybe their motivation for publishing drives the way they are going about it? Jill is looking to (from what I can gather) set the record straight; Jinger’s was essentially a puff piece for her new church with the publicity hungry Jeremy in the background, saying ‘look, I took the frumpy Gothard Duggar girl and made her into a Californian glamour fundy wife’. 
The fact that the publication was brought forward after the document signals to me that the publisher does want to take advantage of the publicity and there will probably be more interviews etc planned.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 5

Also, their approaches to their book launches might be totally different because 1 family needs the money to supply d/t a host of reasons, while the other does not have those immediate financial needs. The most important one being 1 family has a steadily employed, wage earner in the home.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic