IGNORED

Dillards 92: Prosecuting All Of Us

samurai_sarah

Just out of curiosity, I looked it up for divorces and widowed. Once they're married 10 years and assuming Derrick has the required 40 credits (which he probably does or close to it), then she would be eligible for his social security as long as she doesn't remarry. She can take his or hers whichever is higher but not both.

Looks like being widowed is the same situation.

So at least Jill is close to having social security access even though she probably has no work history or social security credits.

For those of you not in the US, the 40 credits thing is how long you've paid into the social security system. It doesn't exactly make sense but you have to have had some kind of work and you get up to 4 credits a year. So it's like working 10 years. But not full time. I got my 40 credits in my 20s. I had a job in my teens afterschool.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

On 6/28/2023 at 2:41 AM, Coconut Flan said:

Divorce is somewhat tougher with a covenant marriage, but quite possible.  It's an internet rumor that won't die that it's nearly impossible.  It's even easier since they moved closer to Oklahoma..  One of them could establish residency in OK and file there.

I think the covenant marriage is a farce/eye roll, if you believe marriage is forever in the eyes of god why does one need to go to the added step of a covenant marriage?

Were they pre-empting  falling out of love and also faith? Therefore needing the safeguard of a covenant marriage to make it harder to divorce allowing them time to find god a love again?

No? Marriage is forever? Then what the fuck is the covenant marriage for. Oh that's right as speculated at the time it was just to make the wedding/marriage extra speshul and godly eleventy 

meh I had a rant lol I don't even know if my point is clear lol.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1

9 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I think the covenant marriage is a farce/eye roll, if you believe marriage is forever in the eyes of god why does one need to go to the added step of a covenant marriage?

Were they pre-empting  falling out of love and also faith? Therefore needing the safeguard of a covenant marriage to make it harder to divorce allowing them time to find god a love again?

No? Marriage is forever? Then what the fuck is the covenant marriage for. Oh that's right as speculated at the time it was just to make the wedding/marriage extra speshul and godly eleventy 

meh I had a rant lol I don't even know if my point is clear lol.

I get what you’re saying and agree with it. Maybe the couple wants to prove the intensity of their vows by having a covenant marriage or its a display to others that they mean business when it comes to staying together. 

• Upvote 3

No doubt Jim Bob told them to do the covenant marriage thing.  IMO he wanted it for the show.  That's what it is to me, showing off saying we're holier than thou anyway.  

• Upvote 14

4 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

No doubt Jim Bob told them to do the covenant marriage thing.  IMO he wanted it for the show.  That's what it is to me, showing off saying we're holier than thou anyway.  

Wasn't the covenant marriage thing JB's BFF Mike Huckabee's favorite when he was the governor?  Like I think he converted his marriage into a covenant marriage.

• Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 1

Just now, bettertomarry said:

Wasn't the covenant marriage thing JB's BFF Mike Huckabee's favorite when he was the governor?  Like I think he converted his marriage into a covenant marriage.

Haha! Is that like switching your traditional IRA over to a Roth IRA? Omg.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 24

I’ve been doing too much reading about coercive control because to me a covenant marriage seems like it would appeal to dudes who want to make extra sure their wives are trapped. Not saying Derrick is that dude (JB on the other hand…) but as @AussieKrissy said, if you’re committed then prove it by staying together not by making it legally harder to leave.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

I think Derrick was likely sucked into Jim Bob's orbit the same way so many people were sucked into IBLP and Gothard's false promises. He was young, at a vulnerable time in his life, and seems like he had some kind of strong faith since he was doing missions work in Nepal. Even if he was able to note that Jim Bob was fundamentalist, I bet the facade was enough to convince him Jim Bob was just a devout conservative guy. 

• I Agree 9

Covenant marriage isn't necessarily a FUNDY fundy thing in Arkansas. I think it's dumb as hell, but I know of normal level conservative Christians who have done it and I think people have various reasons for it. For some it's to make a point and make them feel superior to other people. For some I think it feels like extra romantic or something.  BUT I also know that every single person I know personally who has disclosed that they got a covenant marriage got divorced sooooo.....It was a pain in the ass to get a divorce and took years. 

• Upvote 9

4 hours ago, Grace said:

Covenant marriage isn't necessarily a FUNDY fundy thing in Arkansas. I think it's dumb as hell, but I know of normal level conservative Christians who have done it and I think people have various reasons for it. For some it's to make a point and make them feel superior to other people. For some I think it feels like extra romantic or something.  BUT I also know that every single person I know personally who has disclosed that they got a covenant marriage got divorced sooooo.....It was a pain in the ass to get a divorce and took years. 

It sounds a lot like something I would have done when I got married as a deeply religious, love struck 21-yr old who couldn’t fathom ever being willing to divorce. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...

Per Jill’s Instagram she’s toting a manuscript of the book around the house in a zip lock bag. 

I don’t know the first thing about publishing but if the book is due out on September 12th then shouldn’t it be further along than the manuscript stage? 

Edited by Father Son Holy Goat

45 minutes ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

Per Jill’s Instagram she’s toting a manuscript of the book around the house in a zip lock bag. 

I don’t know the first thing about publishing but if the book is due out on September 12th then shouldn’t it be further along than the manuscript stage? 

She said she hailed it around " for a while" while she made edits. She said she has printed off the manuscript, so it's done.

eta I hope her ghostwriter was,able to clean up any such ambiguities that occurred in her book. Her writing is clear as mud. 

Edited by marmalade
  • Upvote 3

On 7/26/2023 at 5:00 AM, Father Son Holy Goat said:

My next book is coming out mid-October with a 'big 5' publisher. It had a copy edit before proofs went out a few months ago, but after proofs you have one last chance to make small changes. I've just reached the deadline for that, so it's likely that's the point Jill is at. It's useful to print out a typeset manuscript at this final stage so you can see any mistakes you might have become blind to while working on the same document on a screen, or which have even arisen through the line-and copy-edit process.

Every book is published a little differently though so I wouldn't expect there to be one completely standard timeline - there are so many variables. I don't know whether her type of book would have an official proof/ARC run although plenty of non-fiction books do.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1

Congratulations on your next book!

Per Instagram Jill has finished recording the auto book. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

On 6/28/2023 at 7:01 AM, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

Just out of curiosity, I looked it up for divorces and widowed. Once they're married 10 years and assuming Derrick has the required 40 credits (which he probably does or close to it), then she would be eligible for his social security as long as she doesn't remarry. She can take his or hers whichever is higher but not both.

Looks like being widowed is the same situation.

So at least Jill is close to having social security access even though she probably has no work history or social security credits.

For those of you not in the US, the 40 credits thing is how long you've paid into the social security system. It doesn't exactly make sense but you have to have had some kind of work and you get up to 4 credits a year. So it's like working 10 years. But not full time. I got my 40 credits in my 20s. I had a job in my teens afterschool.

Social Security benefits don't start as soon as you work your 40 credits; there is a minimum age of 62 (I think.  They change it periodically) and at that age you don't draw as much as you would if you went to the full retirement age (which was 67, the last time I checked).  So Jill isn't anywhere near being able to draw on Derick's Social Security.  Also, the dollar amount depends on the dollar amount you paid in; executives who made big salaries will draw the maximum amount which is under $2500/month right now, but a person who worked at minimum age will draw much less.

• Upvote 1

@SoSoNosy I don’t think your Social Security information is all accurate. If Derrick were to die now, Jill would receive his benefits until Freddy turns 16. The boys would get benefits until they turn 18 or graduate from high school if over 18.

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.33547ea7ea782162409736bec860b5c1.jpeg

The maximum benefits depend on one’s income and at what age one begins to take their benefits.

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.4ebb4cd9b18cb67c4bb4c67a34809c91.jpeg

• Upvote 1

I’d characterize the benefit amount as a combination of age you are when you claim & your highest 35 years of covered earnings.
Social security is a somewhat progressive benefit system in that those who earned less & thus paid less into the system get a benefit that replaces a higher % of their pre retirement earnings compared to those who earned more & paid more into the system while working but get a lower % replacement of their pre retirement earnings.

image.thumb.png.b1902892bd163d0154563e59f2cbd633.png

Edited by sndral
  • Upvote 1

Jill had said that she was a church friend. They had attended the same women’s group or bible study together. Amy also seemed to know her. Heather had her fourth child right around the same time Jill had Freddy. Looking at her IG, her older kids attend Shiloh Christian School and are very involved with sports, cheerleading etc. She seemed like just a typical conservative Christian, not a fundie type. Heather also founded an IG page Passion4savings (internet deals etc) that has over 80,000 followers.

• Thank You 1

Another site says she was Travis Story's sister.  He's one of JB's go to attorneys.  I've never followed Travis so don't know if that's fact or not.

• Thank You 1

8 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Another site says she was Travis Story's sister.  He's one of JB's go to attorneys.  I've never followed Travis so don't know if that's fact or not.

Interesting connection. I just looked at Heather’s obituary and she is the sister of Travis Story.

• Thank You 2

On 8/3/2023 at 7:08 PM, JDuggs said:

@SoSoNosy I don’t think your Social Security information is all accurate. If Derrick were to die now, Jill would receive his benefits until Freddy turns 16. The boys would get benefits until they turn 18 or graduate from high school if over 18.

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.jpeg.33547ea7ea782162409736bec860b5c1.jpeg

The maximum benefits depend on one’s income and at what age one begins to take their benefits.

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.jpeg.4ebb4cd9b18cb67c4bb4c67a34809c91.jpeg

Yes,  I am sorry, I didn’t take into account the benefits for the children.  If Derrick died now, Jill would draw benefits until the youngest child turns 16.  I was only focusing on Jill, since they are so young; once the childrens’ benefits stop she wouldn’t draw as widow until age 60.  My mother was widowed at 54 and began drawing benefits at 60.  Her monthly check was reduced but she made up for it by living to the ripe old age of 97.  Luckily I could have her live with me because her income would not have covered a fraction of what she needed monthly.

Edited by SoSoNosy
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, SoSoNosy said:

Yes,  I am sorry, I didn’t take into account the benefits for the children.  If Derrick died now, Jill would draw benefits until the youngest child turns 16.  I was only focusing on Jill, since they are so young; once the childrens’ benefits stop she wouldn’t draw as widow until age 60.  My mother was widowed at 54 and began drawing benefits at 60.  Her monthly check was reduced but she made up for it by living to the ripe old age of 97.  Luckily I could have her live with me because her income would not have covered a fraction of what she needed monthly.

Interesting. My mother was widowed at 46 and I was 20, but she still received full death benefits as she was over 45. I am obviously in Candy, not the US. 

1 hour ago, JMO said:

Do we think that's the service that Amy was talking about Anna being at?

Yes, one and the same. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic