IGNORED

Maxwell 54: Sarah Married and Looking Joyful

samurai_sarah

Quiverfull is a particular movement as @HerNameIsBuffy has pointed out to me. We don't know that Kory's family particularly was Quiverfull, although the Maxwells were/are. If you have a large family due to religious beliefs that makes you seem fundie. 

I'm happy that they're older too, although they could still have a large family through adoption.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

John and Chelsy were all over eachother on their wedding day. Well Chelsy basically clung to him and he seemed to enjoy it. That surprised me. But I’m guessing Sarah and Kori were similar in their wedding day. 

Don't forget they did that weird thing where they had to run away from the ceremony, I don't remember why, and I'm wondering if some kissing happened in private.

Eagerly awaiting more pictures of the whole family, I'm guessing the A and M were bridesmaids as well as at least 1 other SIL.

• Upvote 8

28 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

I wonder if the belt isn't "something old", maybe part of Gigi's wedding outfit? Or a last-minute "something borrowed". . .They look deliriously happy. For fun, contrast Sarah in her wedding dress with her outfit (and demeanor) in the final titus2 blog post.

Did they have belts for wedding dresses back then? The belted wedding dress is definitely a 2000s, 2010s, onward trend as far I know. The belts often come with the dress and usually the wedding dress stores have them in stock. I would guess she just purchased at the time and maybe the dress came with it.

• Upvote 3

Today in 2022, if a fundie bride wore a heavily altered wedding dress due to modesty, then she’s doing it for show. Not because she couldn’t find anything modest. 

I looked for a wedding dress in 2009 that had sleeves. It was fucking impossible! Every shop I went to was like, “oh we don’t have anything with long sleeves.” Every single one. The closest they came to sleeves was cap sleeves. That’s it. Almost every single dress was strapless or spaghetti straps. I didn’t want cap sleeves either. So I was screwed. I ended up with a dress I didn’t like. It had spaghetti straps but it also came with a lace bolero with sleeves. That was the closest I could get to sleeves. So I understand all the fundie dresses from 2005-2014 that needed modifications. Because so many of those dresses were strapless. They didn’t have a lot of choice. However today is completely different. There are TONS of dresses with sleeves and they cover their shoulders. There are high neck options! That was completely unknown back in 2009. I think it’s a million times easier today to find a modest wedding dress. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 4

On her dress: 

It's amazing to me that she found a dress that met her needs pretty much off the rack.  In wedding world, she had next to no time to find a dress that she liked, that fit, and that would be ready in mere weeks.  That it was attractive is an even greater blessing.

I'm impressed.  And I wish her every happiness.  Though having lived for a time in that part of the world in my younger days, I didn't much care for El Reno.

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

If you have a large family due to religious beliefs that makes you seem fundie. 

As you said it's a separate movement.  Many fundie families have adopted it, but it's found even in much more liberal families also so isn't a defining characteristic of being fundie.  It's simply many on the forum have only encountered it with religious fundies and it may be more common there.  It's quite possible to be religiously fundie and also not quiverful.  

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

I’m hoping they kissed plenty before the declaration of being married.  For a couple whose combined ages equal 83 and who appear to have led near-blameless lives within rules of varying reasonability, to refrain from a kiss or several dozen seems the height of “what’s-the-point”-ness ! 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 7

On 8/19/2022 at 11:25 AM, SassyPants said:

KWYN? Quinn? My Lord that rivals Jinger. At the age of consent, I’d change that spelling. Can you imagine all the misspellings that person will get in a lifetime? 

Kwyn wrote an article about their family in a 2018 issue of a Southwestern Oklahoma State University* literary magazine. Kwyn mentions "coming home from school" in the afternoons, so I assume she/he wasn't homeschool. :

https://dc.swosu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1331&context=westview 

*My maternal grandma went to Southwestern Oklahoma for a couple of years but had to drop out because of the depression.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 8

I never thought I’d live to see the day when Sarah would escape the MaxBorg, much less get married.

I sincerely wish her and Kody a lifetime of happiness.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 16

1 hour ago, MaryatHome said:

On her dress: 

It's amazing to me that she found a dress that met her needs pretty much off the rack.  In wedding world, she had next to no time to find a dress that she liked, that fit, and that would be ready in mere weeks.  That it was attractive is an even greater blessing.

I'm impressed.  And I wish her every happiness.  Though having lived for a time in that part of the world in my younger days, I didn't much care for El Reno.

A good seamstress could have made that dress for her from scratch,  so I’m not 100% convinced she bought it off the rack.  Just my 2 cents.

Regardless, it looks lovely on her and I think the cascading lace from the waist area  down would look very pretty if we saw her standing.  I’d love to see more of the shoes…wondering if they are delicate, thin straps with narrow heels or a bit more “substantial” looking. 

PS Wouldnt you love to be a fly on the wall to hear Kory and Steve discuss their differing perspectives on how to live one’s daily life as a Christian?  

• Upvote 11

I think Sarah knew the proposal was coming so I think it’s possible she went online shopping to view her options even before she got engaged. She may have known exactly what she wanted and maybe she had an easy time finding her dress off the rack.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, freethemall said:

Don't forget they did that weird thing where they had to run away from the ceremony, I don't remember why, and I'm wondering if some kissing happened in private.

Eagerly awaiting more pictures of the whole family, I'm guessing the A and M were bridesmaids as well as at least 1 other SIL.

The running away from the altar thing that fundies do annoys me beyond reason.  (Why do I care, really?)  It's as if they are twelve years old, barefoot and running through the building.  Ridiculous.

52 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Kwyn wrote an article about their family in a 2018 issue of a Southwestern Oklahoma State University* literary magazine. Kwyn mentions "coming home from school" in the afternoons, so I assume she/he wasn't homeschool. :

https://dc.swosu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1331&context=westview 

*My maternal grandma went to Southwestern Oklahoma for a couple of years but had to drop out because of the depression.

I like this paragraph from the essay (it appears towards the end).  Steve could learn a thing or two from Kody's mom:

"My mom’s description of her own parenting style is simple yet profound. While dwelling on this theme, she said, “I think that parents need to love their children just the way they are, not make them into something that they’re not. If you love your children truly in a spiritual way, you’ll be happy with them the way they are.” She continues, “Maybe things won’t turn out exactly the way you want them to, but that doesn’t mean you stop trying or loving. You just have to see beyond today. You just have to keep praying they’ll become the person the Lord wants them to become. Sometimes it doesn’t happen overnight. Sometimes it doesn’t happen for years…” 

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 11

Maybe Sarah bought ( or had the dress made) some time ago? Don’t some ladies do that, just like they buy hope chests and fill them for their eventual home? I know it sounds “old fashioned” but the Maxwell’s do fit into that category-

• Upvote 1

@quiversR4hunting I literally just googled “ricotta dishes” and found that image of spinach and ricotta pasta. But I just found it again and there’s a recipe here. It uses pasta made from yellow lentils, but I assume you can use whatever pasta you like.

https://www.spoonfulofflavor.com/spinach-and-ricotta-pasta/

I haven’t used the recipe, but it looks good! 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I am glad at her age the likelihood of her having a lot of kids is remote. Less children into the fundie world is a good thing! (that is what I think of all the older single fundies, less kids- win!)

Actually it is a reasonable approach to control family size within their narrow, acceptable, reproductive guidelines.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

11 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Actually it is a reasonable approach to control family size within their narrow, acceptable, reproductive guidelines.

And she won’t feel like the odd ones out if they only have 1 or 2 kids max. In his family, that’s a normal family size. But in the Maxwell family, they will likely have one of the smallest families. Unless Jesse and his wife deal with infertility or decide to limit their brood. 

• Upvote 5

TIL that Kwyn is female. Not only did she attend public high school, she played varsity basketball. And then went on to a public university.

I think we can safely assume Steve had no voice in the Kory-Sarah match.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 2

4 hours ago, freethemall said:

They had to run off in the middle of the ceremony because Chelsy forgot her piece of paper that had her vows on. And then IIRC she couldn't find it so she had to read them off an iPhone or something.

I assume they also ran out of the church following the ceremony because Chelsy's all about being A Cool Christian, and they think that stuff's funny.

• Upvote 7

4 hours ago, freethemall said:

My recollection is Chelsea forgot something, like music or vows, she interrupted the ceremony to retrieve.

• Upvote 2

Yes, Chelsy couldn’t stand to be parted from John for like, 30 seconds, so she grabbed him and pulled him along with her to find the vows. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yes, Chelsy couldn’t stand to be parted from John for like, 30 seconds, so she grabbed him and pulled him along with her to find the vows. 

That was seriously silly and childish in retrospect.  I wonder if she regrets acting that way in front of so many people? I would.

51 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

And she won’t feel like the odd ones out if they only have 1 or 2 kids max. In his family, that’s a normal family size. But in the Maxwell family, they will likely have one of the smallest families. Unless Jesse and his wife deal with infertility or decide to limit their brood. 

All of my adult life I only wanted one child and never changed my mind about that (We have one, born when we were 39 years old and had only been married for a few years)

Sarah might not want more than one child either, and she has found the perfect solution to that in her world of limited roles for women. In Fundie World marry later, and you might be off the hook for having a large family.  (If she wants more than one I hope that happens for her too. I realize I may be a freak of nature in this department.)

• Upvote 7

31 minutes ago, Caroline said:

That was seriously silly and childish in retrospect.  I wonder if she regrets acting that way in front of so many people? I would.

All of my adult life I only wanted one child and never changed my mind about that (We have one, born when we were 39 years old and had only been married for a few years)

Sarah might not want more than one child either, and she has found the perfect solution to that in her world of limited roles for women. In Fundie World marry later, and you might be off the hook for having a large family.  (If she wants more than one I hope that happens for her too. I realize I may be a freak of nature in this department.)

I suppose she could be like Esther Staddon and be the older fundie bride who has twins right out of the gate. But I’m guessing one or two singletons and that’s it. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

5 hours ago, MaryatHome said:

On her dress: 

There are plenty of modest options that look like her dress available from LDS retailers, and I think even with her limited timeframe she would have been able to get one in time. 

The old Sarah I think would have refused to buy from an LDS retailer on principle. The new one - maybe just really wanted a wedding dress.

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

As you said it's a separate movement.  Many fundie families have adopted it, but it's found even in much more liberal families also so isn't a defining characteristic of being fundie.  It's simply many on the forum have only encountered it with religious fundies and it may be more common there.  It's quite possible to be religiously fundie and also not quiverful.  

I agree with you.  I know large families whose parents didn't use birth control (Catholic)  None of them are quiverful or fundie.  They're not even conservative.  One family with 10 kids had a son married to a man.  The parents (who have since passed) adored their son's husband.  Size of family means nothing when it comes to fundamentalist beliefs.  

• Upvote 8

5 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

hoping they kissed plenty before the declaration of being married.

The casually intimate way that Sarah touches Kory's thigh and the way he has his hand wrapped around her hip tells me that there definitely was kissing and maybe more (at least I hope so!)

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Maxwell 54: Sarah Married and Looking Joyful
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic