IGNORED

Josh and Anna 55: Settling in at Seagoville

Coconut Flan

@Antimony is she Amy Clair? Yes you can have hospice and palliative care at home, going into the actual hospice is very much for the very end, they arent really set up for long term end of life care. You dont have to go to the hospice you can stay at home until end, but if you are needing a lot of help then you may choose to go in. It really is a matter of choice either the person can make it if they are still able or the family if the person is too far gone. Im not ever talking about childrens hospices as I have no history with them at all. Another friends Dad had to have full hospice care at home as there was no space available in any of the local hospices, so he was given the air bed and all of that stuff, and he had the MacMillan nurse 24/7 as they are able to administer the drugs etc, he passed at home very quickly, which was a blessing to his family.

Its all a bit difficult at the mo. The day I last saw my friend as the bubbly happy friend I knew was 21st of this month, I picked her up from the hospital after she'd had a scan done. She passed 14th Aug.

• Love 11

On 7/7/2022 at 12:03 PM, Antimony said:

We just had nurses. They gave us a destruction kit but never...checked that we used it. It all seemed very strange to me. 

I found it really odd, too. No destruction kit for my husband's drugs, though. Just left the whole bunch (at that point, a ton of Morphine and Ativan, with some Methadone and anti-nausea meds thrown in) of "lethal-in-the-wrong-hands" drugs alone with a shocked and grieving widow. Apparently, this is how hospice operates, at least in Texas. This was very recent, too. No nurse came when the equipment was picked up a couple of days later. The last nurse I saw was the one who came to pronounce him the night he died.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 4

59 minutes ago, IsmeWeatherwax said:

Same as you dont need disability as an amputee, well your leg might grow back! you may be blind now BUT again you dont need disability as your sight might come back! These are actual quotes from peoples actual applications for disability....  honestly you have to laugh 😂

...or cry.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 8

12 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Legal marijuana is designed to help with pain, it is not a recreational drug. Street one is the one that makes you high. But even with the street one, there are a lot of different especies, some cause a "higher high" than others.

I'm in Oklahoma USA, and the flower/buds sold in the legal dispensaries, not just on the streets, can also get you high... very high. Like you said, it depends on the strain. If the internet tells you a particular strain is x% THC and x% CBD, and you buy the same strain as you read about from a dispensary or from the street*, it may have those amounts, but it could also vary substantially. Marijuana products sold in dispensaries, due to testing requirements, are probably closer to their advertised percents than marijuana bought on the street. Plants grown from seeds do not necessarily have the exact same genetics as the plant that produced the seeds, the potency profile will vary some from seed to seed. This was confusing to me at first when my dispensary told me a particular clone (I grow at home and only buy clones) had a particular profile but I couldn't find that profile on the internet. Their distributor had gone through the legal requirements and had buds from their mother plants tested and the dispensary had a record of that. I found them to be accurate despite having read otherwise on the internet.

The poster who knew someone who "got their hands on" some dispensary marijuana... that may not have been in the original packaging therefore that person didn't know if they were getting low, moderate, or high THC product.

Marijuana has more applications for people than helping only with pain. In Oklahoma, at least, there are no restrictions as to your qualifying condition. The two people I know who use it recreationally have their legal medical marijuana cards and buy only from dispensaries. They want to be legal and they want to know what they are getting. 

*I've never bought on the street so I don't actually know if buyers are told anything about the strains, or even what strain it is that they are buying.

• Upvote 5

11 minutes ago, Bobology said:

I'm in Oklahoma USA, and the flower/buds sold in the legal dispensaries, not just on the streets, can also get you high... very high. Like you said, it depends on the strain. If the internet tells you a particular strain is x% THC and x% CBD, and you buy the same strain as you read about from a dispensary or from the street*, it may have those amounts, but it could also vary substantially. Marijuana products sold in dispensaries, due to testing requirements, are probably closer to their advertised percents than marijuana bought on the street. Plants grown from seeds do not necessarily have the exact same genetics as the plant that produced the seeds, the potency profile will vary some from seed to seed. This was confusing to me at first when my dispensary told me a particular clone (I grow at home and only buy clones) had a particular profile but I couldn't find that profile on the internet. Their distributor had gone through the legal requirements and had buds from their mother plants tested and the dispensary had a record of that. I found them to be accurate despite having read otherwise on the internet.

The poster who knew someone who "got their hands on" some dispensary marijuana... that may not have been in the original packaging therefore that person didn't know if they were getting low, moderate, or high THC product.

Marijuana has more applications for people than helping only with pain. In Oklahoma, at least, there are no restrictions as to your qualifying condition. The two people I know who use it recreationally have their legal medical marijuana cards and buy only from dispensaries. They want to be legal and they want to know what they are getting. 

*I've never bought on the street so I don't actually know if buyers are told anything about the strains, or even what strain it is that they are buying.

And this sort of testing is one of the reasons the dispensary product is higher priced than other ways of getting it. Although Colorado has had both recreational and medical marijuana for some time I haven't used any: I just hope it works for me if I ever have intractable pain, because I don't do well with opioids and related substances. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Bobology said:

Varies. Sometimes you get a strain name. Sometimes you get told if you're getting indica, sativa, or a hybrid. Depends on who is dealing. Always a chance it could be skunk in the end, too. Edibles are super unpredictable, but usually err to be weaker than advertised. 

Edit: okay I had to look this up because I'm uncool but apparently some people consider skunk weed to be a good strain, but I've also heard it more to describe a stinky strain that is relatively unpleasant to smoke but cheaper. Maybe things have changed since my Youth. Anyway, while weed on the street tends to be strains with more THC, sometimes people end up with less than they asked for and an unpleasant strain. 

Edited by Antimony
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

16 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

Even non addictive meds can be impossible to get too. I’m on day 2 without anti depressants because my insurance has decided not to cover it for whatever bullshit reason they have this time. 

Totally get it. I have a large uterine fibroid that has caused me to be highly anaemic. My family doctor put me on Depo to stop my periods. Unfortunately, she went on mat leave and even though the deal was any of her female patients could request a female doctor, the receptionist won't book me with a female doctor. The clinic also lost my prescription and is unwilling to contact the pharmacy to prove I was taking Depo. My choices are to see a male (super uncomfortable for me as he will be asking intrusive questions and performing intrusive exams or go off Depo. I can't get it without a prescription, my insurance doesn't cover it so I can't prove I was on it and they won't refer me to another doctor. Grrrr

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 5
  • WTF 1
  • Love 5

On 7/6/2022 at 10:05 PM, Antimony said:

Interesting question.

Both emails in and out are charged, so I reckon Anna might put her own money on her own end of the account, but you can use the "Send Money to Inmate" feature. I've never used this so I'm not sure how it works. I just tried to poke around on it but I need yet another account (also owned by a private company) to see past that login page, so not sure. 

I suspect, in any case, Anna or JB will put money on his books and at this point, it's a little unclear how much money Josh has in his own name left. They mix and shuffle all their Duggar money to hide it anyway so...yes...and no? 

Possibly the best way of looking at money connected to the Duggars is that most of it is under JB’s control regardless of whose name it is under.

• Upvote 3

On 7/7/2022 at 3:26 AM, IsmeWeatherwax said:

My friend is in the US and she has chronic migraines, she is only allowed 9 sumatriptan every 3 months (she doesn't pay as shes gets the disability payments, sorry I dont know what its called) from her Doctor. I (UK) also have chronic migraines, and on prescription I get 36 sumatriptan every 5 weeks, which I also get free as Im on certain benefits, tho if I did pay it would be £9.35.

She just recently went on a European tour and ran out of her migraine meds in France and was panicking, I said just go to a pharmacy and ask for some, she couldn't believe that was possible until she posted a pic of her holding 2 boxes of sumatriptan after just popping into a chemist. I cant remember the price but it was only a few euros. 

She told her Doctor about it when she went home, they just said well Im not surprised but I still cant give you more than 9. 

Utterly ridiculous situation. 

Mind you here in UK they dont like giving hospice patients too much morphine, you know in case they get addicted... 🙄

What is controlled and how it is priced varies a lot by country, and it doesn’t always make sense.  I had a sinus infection in Spain, and the pharmacy wouldn’t sell me the antibiotic without a prescription.  Yet I talked to another visitor who got valium without a prescription.

I am more interested in how your friend from the US who is on disability and medicaid managed to afford a “European tour.” 😉

On 7/7/2022 at 2:43 PM, Coconut Flan said:

Apparently not.  Hospice gives my mom lots of drugs and keeps pain meds filled.  No one there has ever mentioned anything except a pain free, worry free death.  Mom is coming up on her one year anniversary on hospice.  I just talked to her nurse about an hour ago.  She agrees mom is one of the slowest progressing cases she's seen.  

My mom was on hospice for more than two years.  She had several incurable progressive diseases (and her mind was gone) but she was not in pain.  It was a toss-up what would finally kill her. (She went quietly at age 92.)

• Love 8

4 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

My mom was on hospice for more than two years.  She had several incurable progressive diseases (and her mind was gone) but she was not in pain.  It was a toss-up what would finally kill her. (She went quietly at age 92.)

My mother may want to tie your mother on the two years.  Mom isn't normally in pain, but for awhile she was falling a lot so they gave her pain killers both for the injuries and to keep a bit sleepy so she'd stay in bed and heal.  Mom is 92 and still chugging although very slowly getting worse.  Her mind is almost completely gone on the bad days.

• Love 23

2 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

My mother may want to tie your mother on the two years.  Mom isn't normally in pain, but for awhile she was falling a lot so they gave her pain killers both for the injuries and to keep a bit sleepy so she'd stay in bed and heal.  Mom is 92 and still chugging although very slowly getting worse.  Her mind is almost completely gone on the bad days.

This is such a hard time for you.  My biggest fear is that I will be like my mom and linger after my body and my mind are no longer working.  I don’t want to put my children through that.  But neither did she.

My mother was in a wheelchair (Parkinson's and arthritis) so no falls.  We were very lucky that she had a great caregiver (and that my father left what was needed to pay for her care.) But it was sad and worrisome.

Hang in there.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 15

@EmCatlyn lol it was booked pre pandemic and it was delayed until May. She has a husband who works, therein lies the answer! 

She was granted disability before they married, she has quite a few conditions, migraines being one them, which is why she cried when she walked into a pharmacy France and UK and walked out with 2 boxes of sumatriptan and no prescription needed.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

On 7/8/2022 at 12:24 AM, indianabones said:

I got TOLD OFF today by a pharmacist over the phone for trying to switch pharmacies with my Vyvanse prescription. Pharmacists (and my insurance company) constantly make me feel like I'm a drug addict for just being on it.

And thank God for insurance and coupons from the pharmaceutical company- if I was paying full price out of pocket, it would be $400 a month rather than $30.

I totally get that feeling. We had an issue a few months back where they put the wrong date in when we filled it so it was off by a day. My son was out and we were going out of town so we needed to get it filled that day. They acted like we were trying to get the medication of ourselves. No, our kid just can't function without it. My husband had to provide proof from our bank of what day we payed the co-pay and then suddenly they were able to override it. 

On 7/8/2022 at 1:59 AM, Father Son Holy Goat said:

Even non addictive meds can be impossible to get too. I’m on day 2 without anti depressants because my insurance has decided not to cover it for whatever bullshit reason they have this time. 

It's awful. My husband had a hard time getting his blood pressure medicine at one point during the pandemic and their solution was to just randomly put him on another one. He was like "no, I'll go to every pharmacy here if I need to".

Then insurance issues. It's insane how you can be on a med for years and suddenly they decide they aren't covering it anymore. 

• Upvote 5

I'm taking medication for chronic heartburn. I found that taking 2 20mg doses a day works better than one 40mg dose. However, my insurance doesn't think so because they won't cover the 20mg pills but will the 40mg. 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 4
  • WTF 1

I am so grateful to live in a country where I don’t have to worry about health insurance covering or not covering medication. You do have to pay a prescription fee for many things, but there are ways of getting prescriptions for a reduced fee or for free. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5

On 7/9/2022 at 6:04 PM, EmCatlyn said:

I had a sinus infection in Spain, and the pharmacy wouldn’t sell me the antibiotic without a prescription.  Yet I talked to another visitor who got valium without a prescription.

I live in Spain and you need a prescription for valium.  Antibiotic was sold without prescription in the past, but apparently people did a wide and wrong use of it (taking it for colds and minor issues) and had to be controled. Heavy painkillers and antidepressants need prescription, too. 

40 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

I am so grateful to live in a country where I don’t have to worry about health insurance covering or not covering medication. You do have to pay a prescription fee for many things, but there are ways of getting prescriptions for a reduced fee or for free. 

Same for me. My parents would be literally broken in other countries because all their health issues and medication. 

Edited by Melissa1977
Spelling
  • Upvote 2

On 7/7/2022 at 9:30 PM, Jackie3 said:

It's funny that privatization is suddenly the bad guy. The government tends to be slow, bureaucratic and full of red tape. Visit your local DMV! Working with the government can be mind-numbingly crazy. 

No. Privatization is not the bad guy. I am okay with many functions being privatized---for example, I am okay with street repairs being handled by private contractors and with DMV outsourcing to private companies. Even "school choice"--depending on what people mean by that--makes sense in some situations.

My issue is around our legal system with use of force and incarceration and law enforcement. Also the military. Those are specific jobs that we explicitly ask our (elected) government do on behalf of the people. I do not want justice outsourced. I do not want our law enforcement and probation officers privatized. I do not want our military to be mercenaries. (And yes, we are awfully close and over the line on that one given how contracts have been handled in Iraq and other overseas locations.)

It has zero do to with efficiency and everything to do with the power of the state needing to rest with the people.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

13 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I live in Spain and you need a prescription for valium.  Antibiotic was sold without prescription in the past, but apparently people did a wide and wrong use of it (taking it for colds and minor issues) and had to be controled. Heavy painkillers and antidepressants need prescription, too. 

Same for me. My parents would be literally broken in other countries because all their health issues and medication. 

I don’t know how the other lady got valium — maybe the pharmacy accepted their pill bottle as proof of prescription.  In my case, of course, I had no pill bottle, just my well-known sinus symptoms.  (This was about 8 years ago.) Anyway, in the US I would need a prescription for the antibiotics, so I wasn’t bothered by that.  I was just struck when the other person told me she got valium.  I am glad to know it is not supposed to happen.

• Upvote 1

MODS:  I enjoy thread drift as much as any other FJer, but now that this thread has drifted almost completely away from Josh/Anna, might you consider setting up another thread focused ONLY on Josh/Anna?  Thank you.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, gustava said:

MODS:  I enjoy thread drift as much as any other FJer, but now that this thread has drifted almost completely away from Josh/Anna, might you consider setting up another thread focused ONLY on Josh/Anna?  Thank you.

Thread drift is a part of FJ.  You have choices such as scroll past, start talking about Josh and family, etc.  

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 5

49 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Thread drift is a part of FJ.  You have choices such as scroll past, start talking about Josh and family, etc.  

Just to be helpful…. 😉

Do we know where Anna is now?  If she in Texas waiting to be able to visit Josh?  Where are the Ms?

Any news on the speculation bus?

• Upvote 8

Didn’t we see some M-kids at David Waller’s church’s VBS? My guess is that she took the M7s to Texas for a bit. 

• Upvote 5

57 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

Just to be helpful…. 😉

Do we know where Anna is now?  If she in Texas waiting to be able to visit Josh?  Where are the Ms?

Any news on the speculation bus?

Did I hear she was building a home in Texas or was that a covid dream I had last night 

43 minutes ago, fundiewatch said:

Didn’t we see some M-kids at David Waller’s church’s VBS? My guess is that she took the M7s to Texas for a bit. 

Probably to be put under his umbrella ☂ Of authority 🤮

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, fundiewatch said:

I hope if she ends up in Texas that Mac (how is her name spelled?!) stays on at the main Duggar compound most of the time. I doubt that’s what will happen, but she seems sooooo close to the girls, and fits right in with everything they do age wise. Being dragged to Texas to be a parentified helper to her -clearly- delusional mother and a gaggle of younger siblings seems just awful. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic