IGNORED

Bates 30: Season 11 in the Can and Cancelled. What's UP with that?

HerNameIsBuffy

I live close to downtown Ottawa and have been hearing truck horns and helicopters all afternoon.  Just hope everyone blows off a little harmless steam and then goes home !  

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I went to boarding school with the younger brother of one of the stars of Baywatch.   Between that and being 9th cousins with Dolly Parton I'm shocked the paps are consistently swarming my front lawn to get a glimpse of me so intimately celebrity adjacent am I.

So I want to use my fame by proxy to plea to all other networks to keep the Bates off tv.  Let Gil remember how to cut trees, I'm pretty sure it's God's will.

(They speak for God, why are my imaginary conversations with him any less valid?)

What the everloving hell? You never told me you were 9th cousins to a goddess. I thought you loved me. I am lost.

7 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

The OP was implying that Figure 8 had shopped the show away from UP not that they were now free that a cancellation had occurred.  That or I misread or misunderstood the other post.  Figure 8 can make new episodes for a different network, but the ones UP paid for belong to UP to show or not unless there is a negotiation with a new network to compensate UP for the production costs.  

Manifest had completed their run and aired all the episodes and were released by the network.  These were unaired episodes.  I can't remember the show, but a few years ago one was canceled with a couple episodes unaired.  Netflix or whoever took over the show had to negotiate and pay the previous network for the unaired episodes to be able to use them.  The production company did not own them.

Oh I see! That is why I was confused. I missed the distinction!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

What the everloving hell? You never told me you were 9th cousins to a goddess. I thought you loved me. I am lost.

I have too told you that.  How are you going to finish the book you're writing about me if you don't take notes?

• Haha 17
  • Love 4

2 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I have too told you that.  How are you going to finish the book you're writing about me if you don't take notes?

Oh, I thought those were bedtime stories!

• Haha 13
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Wolf in Sheeples’ Clothing said:

After the South lost the Civil War, a lot of southern politicians and such claimed that the Secession from the Union wasn’t because of slavery but for states’ rights (to have slaves). The Confederate flag is seen as a symbol for states’ rights. That was the big claim, even now. That the war was for states’ rights and anti big government. But those claims only came about after the war was lost and people were in damage control. 

That’s what people will argue about to this day… That the Confederate flag represents states’ rights and only states’ rights, and never represented anything else. Despite the fact that the “states’ rights” in question was slavery. 

This book explains things perfectly. I read it in college and it infuriated me that the cause of the Civil War is still lied about in schools today. 
C5C29DAD-FF5C-48FF-BFD0-957C8944432A.jpeg.882625de774a626460016588e103e8b6.jpeg

Oh my gosh, I met a guy from Georgia on a mobile game a few years ago, super nice guy, generous, funny, kindhearted…until it came to this. I remember having a Discord call with him at one point, and he was so furious about “the lies” taught in northern schools about the reason for the Civil War that he could hardly get the words out. He was truly vicious on the subject. I was flabbergasted that someone who appeared to be so nice could be so bigoted, hateful, and willfully ignorant. We lost touch (meaning I stepped wayyy back).

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 7

4 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I went to high school with one of Dolly’s nieces. So is that like the Kevin Bacon phenomenon but with 9 degrees of Dolly?

Edited by neuroticcat
  • Haha 15
  • Love 2

56 minutes ago, Jasmar said:

Oh my gosh, I met a guy from Georgia on a mobile game a few years ago, super nice guy, generous, funny, kindhearted…until it came to this. I remember having a Discord call with him at one point, and he was so furious about “the lies” taught in northern schools about the reason for the Civil War that he could hardly get the words out. He was truly vicious on the subject. I was flabbergasted that someone who appeared to be so nice could be so bigoted, hateful, and willfully ignorant. We lost touch (meaning I stepped wayyy back).

Oh yeah. People will go on and on about ‘Southern Pride’ and how the flag represents that. Like what ‘pride’? You’re proud that the Confederacy fought for the rights of states to have slaves? That’s something to have pride in? People will just not admit that that is what ‘Southern Pride’ and the Confederate flag are - representation of the enslavement of other human beings based solely on skin color. 

• Upvote 17

8 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

[…]

I always say that if America is the MGA redneck who shoves their racism in your face, Canada is the white lady who is nice to your face but won't hesitate to call the police on you. Canada hides our racist core better. 

[…]

THIS. I think this is true for many is not all countries. We love to act all better for not being the MAGA redneck (and boy don’t we love some anti-USA sentiment) but we all have some more or less hidden racist things we need to deal with. 

• Upvote 15

It's not letting me quote others. Yes, the convoy in Canada was started by the far right wing and the truckers were co-opted to bring the rage due to possible restrictions some would face. So not totally shocking to see the confederate flag, as many videos I've seen from the organizers and right wing politicians have the same rhetoric that the RWNJ's in the US spout, down to threats of violence and use of guns!

My father is from KY much of our family still lives there. Half are sane, the other half Trumpers and we're from Norther KY on the border of OH.

The old saying is, 'if the US sneezes, Canada catches a cold.' It seems that the QAnon, right wing talking points bounced across the border, are being embraced and much like south of the border are becoming louder here too. It's not about lockdowns, mandates, etc. it's about getting Trudeau out of office. They admit as much, but, cover it with the faux COVID argument, but, it's there. The only mandate the Federal Government controls is the border crossing and that's mirrored with the US. All other mandates, lock/shut downs, vaccine passports or proof, etc. are all provincially controlled by the premiers and vary widely across Canada.

Edited by Smoochie
  • Upvote 10
  • WTF 1

1 hour ago, Smoochie said:

It's not letting me quote others. Yes, the convoy in Canada was started by the far right wing and the truckers were co-opted to bring the rage due to possible restrictions some would face. So not totally shocking to see the confederate flag, as many videos I've seen from the organizers and right wing politicians have the same rhetoric that the RWNJ's in the US spout, down to threats of violence and use of guns!

My father is from KY much of our family still lives there. Half are sane, the other half Trumpers and we're from Norther KY on the border of OH.

The old saying is, 'if the US sneezes, Canada catches a cold.' It seems that the QAnon, right wing talking points bounced across the border, are being embraced and much like south of the border are becoming louder here too. It's not about lockdowns, mandates, etc. it's about getting Trudeau out of office. They admit as much, but, cover it with the faux COVID argument, but, it's there. The only mandate the Federal Government controls is the border crossing and that's mirrored with the US. All other mandates, lock/shut downs, vaccine passports or proof, etc. are all provincially controlled by the premiers and vary widely across Canada.

Yup. I’ve seen people blaming Trudeau for all the mandates, including the mandates for healthcare workers, and just chuckle. Each hospital individually chose to mandate vaccines in Ontario - the only healthcare facility that was provincially mandated was long-term care. Trudeau had nothing to do with it. 

There are multiple people at the protest with various hate symbols - confederate flags, swastikas, signs with horribly derogatory messages, upside-down Canadian flags, people wearing Trump-gear, etc. The Terry Fox statue was desecrated. City staff went to remove the signs and upside down flag off of it, and protesters put some right back on. I’m really sad for our country today. 😞

Edited by Keys
  • Upvote 8
  • Love 6

4 hours ago, Smoochie said:

It's not about lockdowns, mandates, etc. it's about getting Trudeau out of office. They admit as much, but, cover it with the faux COVID argument, but, it's there. The only mandate the Federal Government controls is the border crossing and that's mirrored with the US. All other mandates, lock/shut downs, vaccine passports or proof, etc. are all provincially controlled by the premiers and vary widely across Canada.

Which is bizarre because we just had an election 3 months ago. If people really wanted Trudeau out of office, he wouldn't have won. But people refuse to see that. 

But again, this is nothing new. Proud Boys had Canadian roots. It is easy to say we were influenced by the sentiments in the US, but they were already here.

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 4

5 minutes ago, Tiny Bubbles said:

That certainly is a small Canadian flag …

32727DB3-CEC1-45D8-89CB-DFB833D00191.jpeg

Is he trying to look like Canadian cousin Eddie?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 25

8 hours ago, Wolf in Sheeples’ Clothing said:

Oh yeah. People will go on and on about ‘Southern Pride’ and how the flag represents that. Like what ‘pride’? You’re proud that the Confederacy fought for the rights of states to have slaves? That’s something to have pride in? People will just not admit that that is what ‘Southern Pride’ and the Confederate flag are - representation of the enslavement of other human beings based solely on skin color. 

My favorite take on "Southern pride" is from author Rachel Held Evans, who said in a tweet, "What exactly are you proud of--the slavery or the treason?"

• Upvote 31
  • I Agree 6

I'm not surprised the flag is in Canada.  It was everywhere when I grew up in Alaska in the 90s.  Nothing to do with the South.  It was unsavory to many of us, but most people didn't see it as racist.

They pretty much played up the "states' rights" angle, which in western and northern places with extractive economies has come to mean local control over resources. Unfortunately local control means developing and extracting as much as possible without regard for elitist big-government theories like climate change or water pollution. So the flag was regarded as a symbol of masculinity, independence, and a certain joie de vivre all under the umbrella of a practical, jobs-first mentality. 

In the last few years people have started to realize it's not a coincidence that that vision of ideal rural life is populated solely with white people. 

• Upvote 14

17 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

Which is bizarre because we just had an election 3 months ago. If people really wanted Trudeau out of office, he wouldn't have won. But people refuse to see that. 

But again, this is nothing new. Proud Boys had Canadian roots. It is easy to say we were influenced by the sentiments in the US, but they were already here.

The People’s Party, fortunately, didn’t secure any seats but boy are they vocal! Bernier ignited what was already beneath the surface and I know a lot of people who thought he and his nutso party of fascists were going to hold the balance of power with a Conservative minority. I was hoping that Singh might have become the next PM. 
Desecrating the statue of Terry Fox and tomb of the Unknown Soldier are beyond the pale.  Stay safe Ottawa friends! 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

For the first time in my life I kind of feel like kicking the flag. But I won’t. He needs to put that thing away. 🙄🤢

I don’t support this convoy protest mess at all. It’s terrible.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 5

On 1/30/2022 at 7:18 AM, Tiny Bubbles said:

That certainly is a small Canadian flag …

32727DB3-CEC1-45D8-89CB-DFB833D00191.jpeg

Your post was up on my laptop when one of my sons came in my room to get something over the weekend.

That picture required quite the conversation!

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
Why does autocorrect keep changing all my plurals to possessive?
  • Haha 17

55 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Your post was up on my laptop when one of my sons came in my room to get something over the weekend.

That picture required quite the conversation!

Oopsie!  Apologies! 

• Love 2

8 minutes ago, Tiny Bubbles said:

Oopsie!  Apologies! 

It was funny!  After all these years I still can't explain FJ to my family!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • Love 3

On 1/30/2022 at 8:26 AM, EmiSue said:

My favorite take on "Southern pride" is from author Rachel Held Evans, who said in a tweet, "What exactly are you proud of--the slavery or the treason?"

That's an awesome way to put it!

Because the people proclaiming "Southern pride" and brandishing the confederate flag, aren't proud of stuff like the hospitality or natural beauty. And they're not proud of the food (which owes a TON to the cultures of the people brought here as slaves). They're not proud of the growing cities, the charming small towns, or the contributions made to the world by Southern people (of all colors). None of those things involve the flag of a treasonous rebellion that was on the losing side of a war that was intended to keep people enslaved. 

I think that there are a lot of awesome things about the south. And most of those awesome things are because of the contributions of people of color. The racism, history of slavery, and the civil war? Those are the things to be ashamed of, not proud of. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 8

On 1/30/2022 at 2:24 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

This made me snort out loud! He DOES look like cousin Eddie, does he?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, Alisamer said:

That's an awesome way to put it!

Because the people proclaiming "Southern pride" and brandishing the confederate flag, aren't proud of stuff like the hospitality or natural beauty. And they're not proud of the food (which owes a TON to the cultures of the people brought here as slaves). They're not proud of the growing cities, the charming small towns, or the contributions made to the world by Southern people (of all colors). None of those things involve the flag of a treasonous rebellion that was on the losing side of a war that was intended to keep people enslaved. 

I think that there are a lot of awesome things about the south. And most of those awesome things are because of the contributions of people of color. The racism, history of slavery, and the civil war? Those are the things to be ashamed of, not proud of. 

Not excusing it at all, but I think some of it comes from wrapping themselves in a pride of a culture that is often mocked.  The insulting stereotypes about rednecks and hillbillies are real so people can double down on their "culture" if they see it as being attacked or know they are viewed as less than.

If the response was that they have a rich and varied culture and are no less than anyone else despite their accent it would be a valid point, but those who don't articulate that and just defensively cling to muh heritage including racist symbolism then they are nothing but bigots reinforcing the stereotype.  

• Upvote 16

• Coconut Flan locked this topic