IGNORED

Bates 30: Season 11 in the Can and Cancelled. What's UP with that?

HerNameIsBuffy

5 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

Saw this report linked to in Reddit. In the tax docs listed, Gil received about 5k reportable income annually early on as a board member but then nothing in recent years. I wonder if there has been embezzlement, and, if so, if Gil is complicit. Also,can I say how gratifying it is to see IBLP income drop so drastically over the years. I think they will eventually go the way of VFhttps://julieroys.com/bill-gothard-institute-faces-uncertain-financial-future/

After listening to his lecture on how to raise a large family without working a job I would say there is zero way Gil is working for IBLP and not getting compensated in some way. That man loves taking other people’s money. So I wouldn’t be sick if he was up to his neck in shady financial dealings. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

After listening to his lecture on how to raise a large family without working a job I would say there is zero way Gil is working for IBLP and not getting compensated in some way. That man loves taking other people’s money. So I wouldn’t be sick if he was up to his neck in shady financial dealings. 

That’s what I’ve suspected right from the beginning. He screams shady grifter/thief. But it could just be a big mix of things. A combo of stealing, sexual assault cover up in IBLP, and racism.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

13 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

We shouldn’t forget that the public mindset around white supremacy, showing off the confederate flag,…. has massively changed in the last 4 years.

I highly doubt they will stumble over such stuff that also happened years ago. 

Meh, it depends. I mean, this feels the equivalent  of Ellie Kemper’s debutante ball to me. I could see them not coming out and “cancelling” them, because cancel culture would rule up conservative viewers, but I could see them quietly just being done.

11 hours ago, formergothardite said:

That’s what leapt out to me. It seems so so unlikely. It’s possible he volunteered for the ministry (Incidentally, I wonder if he gets paid for his pastor job) but received other perks or justified other compensation in some way. Regardless, something is off with IBLP staff payments.

Edited by neuroticcat
Double post
  • Upvote 2

On 1/24/2022 at 8:16 PM, Coconut Flan said:

They can't do that.  There are contracts in place to protect UP and Figure 8 can't shop the show unless or until UP releases it, cancels it, or the contract term expires.   That's to prevent the scenario you describe and other issues.

UP did cancel it. Shows change networks.  I am confused about why you think they cannot.  Recently, Manifest was canceled by NBC and Netflix is picking it up. Shows change networks and also shows get canceled and then go into syndication - Baywatch was not a big show UNTIL it was canceled and new episodes were sold to syndication. There may be a noncompete for a year but the can be sold to another network in the future.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

UP did cancel it. Shows change networks.  I am confused about why you think they cannot.  Recently, Manifest was canceled by NBC and Netflix is picking it up. Shows change networks and also shows get canceled and then go into syndication - Baywatch was not a big show UNTIL it was canceled and new episodes were sold to syndication. There may be a noncompete for a year but the can be sold to another network in the future.

I went to boarding school with the younger brother of one of the stars of Baywatch.   Between that and being 9th cousins with Dolly Parton I'm shocked the paps are consistently swarming my front lawn to get a glimpse of me so intimately celebrity adjacent am I.

So I want to use my fame by proxy to plea to all other networks to keep the Bates off tv.  Let Gil remember how to cut trees, I'm pretty sure it's God's will.

(They speak for God, why are my imaginary conversations with him any less valid?)

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 16

On 1/28/2022 at 6:31 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

That’s what I’ve suspected right from the beginning. He screams shady grifter/thief. But it could just be a big mix of things. A combo of stealing, sexual assault cover up in IBLP, and racism.

Honestly, when I heard of the show cancellation, the very first thing I thought of was Gil and some financial shenanigans.   Probably there are other things involved but I always thought Gil was shady as hell.  He strikes me as someone who has his opportunistic side turned on full blast 24 hours a day and never misses a chance to gain for himself.   But that also means more chances to get caught. 

Edited by nokidsmom
Riffle
  • Upvote 13
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

The OP was implying that Figure 8 had shopped the show away from UP not that they were now free that a cancellation had occurred.  That or I misread or misunderstood the other post.  Figure 8 can make new episodes for a different network, but the ones UP paid for belong to UP to show or not unless there is a negotiation with a new network to compensate UP for the production costs.  

Manifest had completed their run and aired all the episodes and were released by the network.  These were unaired episodes.  I can't remember the show, but a few years ago one was canceled with a couple episodes unaired.  Netflix or whoever took over the show had to negotiate and pay the previous network for the unaired episodes to be able to use them.  The production company did not own them.

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 1

On 1/28/2022 at 1:27 AM, just_ordinary said:

We shouldn’t forget that the public mindset around white supremacy, showing off the confederate flag,…. has massively changed in the last 4 years.

White supremacy was OK in 2018? Then there was a "massive change" and now we think it's bad? I don't think so. 

I traveled to the South with friends about twenty years ago. We all were shocked by the display of confederate flags, something you'd never see up north. 

Similarly, I don't know anyone who thought white supremacy was a reasonable idea in 2018, but who has changed their mind in 2022. There hasn't been a "massive change" in my circle, or in the movies, media or on TV. White supremacy has been frowned up (to say the least) for decades. And I've been around for many decades, so I should know.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

White supremacy was OK in 2018? Then there was a "massive change" and now we think it's bad? I don't think so. 

I traveled to the South with friends about twenty years ago. We all were shocked by the display of confederate flags, something you'd never see up north. 

Similarly, I don't know anyone who thought white supremacy was a reasonable idea in 2018, but who has changed their mind in 2022. There hasn't been a "massive change" in my circle, or in the movies, media or on TV. White supremacy has been frowned up (to say the least) for decades. And I've been around for many decades, so I should know.

Awareness of that flag as a symbol of hate has changed over the years.  Being of the generation that grew up on the Dukes of Hazard plenty of people who weren't racist saw it as a symbol of the south without registering the hateful meaning.

The awareness is important and many people did better once they knew better.  I have an ancestor who was a confederate soldier and when I first got into genealogy online in the 90s I didn't register the confederate flag iconography with his records as hateful including those ridiculous south will rise again phrases.  I sure do now and the few still doing that will never get a message reply from me if they want to share info.

Not sure about 2018 but the flag stuff is a good example of how racism was hidden in plain sight for a long time and once people became aware of it many stopped because again, when you know better you do better.  Some people anyway.

I had a confederate flag beach towel in high school given to me by a friend from central Florida.  I thought nothing of it at the time, but now I wouldn't have it in my house.

I have been around for many decades as well, from Illinois,  and also traveled to the south 20 years ago and before and since and wasn't shocked by the flags.  I thought they were tacky, but hardly shocking.  Your experience isn't universal.

• Upvote 22
  • Thank You 1

39 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

Hmmmm don’t know where you get the “was ok” part from, really? But the big awareness about the underlying structural inequalities and racist patterns, micro aggression and symbols has definitely changed or rather improved? At least that was my take away from what I gathered what was shown to us from the US. Most people had a closer look at certain jokes, symbols, biases, statistics and so on in the last couple of years and realised they were just not ok, even if you never intended to use them in a racist or supremacist way. 
The awareness about how open in plain sight those mindsets still were has also grown.

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Jackie3 said:

I grew up on Canada and in the 90s there were dozens of Confederate flags in my neighborhood. Totally removed from the south, but seen as rebel/country culture. Or that is what people told each other. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

Plus the whole furor over the removing of Confederate statues, one of the most prominent aspects of Lost Cause Mythology. I would say the removal didn't really gain nation-wide traction until after the death of George Floyd. 

• Upvote 14

45 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Awareness of that flag as a symbol of hate has changed over the years.  Being of the generation that grew up on the Dukes of Hazard plenty of people who weren't racist saw it as a symbol of the south without registering the hateful meaning.

We’ve even had FJ members be surprised at the notion that the Confederate flag is a symbol of hate. It seems for a very long time it was just something people accepted without thinking. The people who aren’t attached to that flag for racist reasons tend to understand why it is bad. The racist ones dig in and start ranting about heritage and not hate. 

It could be just everything bad about the Bates piling up and the network deciding the family is way too much trouble. Carlin released that clip, but the ease of Nathan screaming that out in front of the cameras makes me think that they regularly say racist thing and UP has to edit them out. 

• Upvote 10

This stuff is also very regional. When I lived in the Midwest I rarely saw confederate flags/emblems and anyone showing it was pretty loudly saying they are racist. Now I live in NC where we don’t have front license plates, and my my do a lot of vehicles use that space to show their confederate pride. 

All that said, the racial reckoning after George Floyd has had a lot of ripples. 

• Upvote 8

Born/raised just outside of Kansas City on the Kansas side.  Confederate flags have been everywhere for my whole 50+ years of life.  I partly fault county culture along with the messy Kansas/Nebraska act that meant a vote determined slave/free status so proponents of both sides raced to the two states and their descendants are still lurking about today.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

The state I live in was part of the union. Not confederacy. Therefore those flags aren’t super common in my state. In the very rural parts of the state? Probably. But you never see them in the bigger cities. I live in the city and there are lots of black people who live here. One time I was sitting at a stop light and there was this huge pick up truck with confederate flags all over it. I’m not exaggerating. It was covered. I thought to myself, how is this guy not getting his ass kicked constantly with a truck like that? I never saw the truck again. 

• Upvote 6

I don't know if anyone else has read Chasten Buttigieg's autobiography, "I Have Something To Tell You" (excellent read BTW), but he mentions seeing a plethora of confederate flags while growing up in Traverse City, Michigan.  In his words:

"It wasn't uncommon to spot a Confederate flag decal on the back of a pickup truck in the grocery-store parking lot.  And by decal, I don't mean bumper sticker-though of course there were some very aggressive bumper stickers.  No, by decal I mean that the entire back window would be covered in a Confederate flag, sometimes with guns emblazoned over the flag, sometimes with some kind of "Come and take it" language.  Other trucks had actual Confederate flags waving from the cab.  Never mind that Michigan fought for the Union in the Civil War and that Traverse City is much closer to Ontario than any part of the Confederate South".  

And:

"At the 4-H County Fair, it wasn't out of the ordinary to see Confederate flag belt buckles, and in 4-H-land, the belt buckle was prime real estate.  Some kids would drive their accessorized trucks to school, or show up to class in a Confederate flag T-shirt.  I don't remember the school ever making a statement about that, or seeing anyone in a position of authority address it.  Symbols like this were just around and accepted.  Their presence was rarely discussed.  I suppose it's telling that they weren't evaluated in school; that's how the system was designed.  I watched as people described the flag as a symbol of "Southern pride" even though there's literally no reason from someone from Michigan to have "Southern pride". 

Chasten was born in 1989 and graduated from high school in 2007, which is really not that long ago.  And this stuff was going on during that time period and obviously accepted.     

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 6

12 minutes ago, Tiny Bubbles said:

Confed flag showed up this morning at an anti vax demonstration in Ottawa, capital of Canada.  Oh joy.   

9D7AC686-8E2B-4972-A63F-49656988ACEB.png

I honestly don’t get it. Why would a Canadian fly that flag other than to be hateful?

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 8

It may not be a Canadian, who knows?   

Quote from cbc.ca 

“At least one Confederate flag was spotted in the crowd, a U.S. civil war-era symbol that is often associated with racist and far-right elements. Indigenous demonstrators flew the Mohawk warrior flag and waved the flag of the Métis Nation.”

Apparently on SM some bad apples are trying to make this a Jan 6 moment here.   Unreal.  

Edited by Tiny Bubbles
Add quote
  • Upvote 6
  • Disgust 1

8 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I honestly don’t get it. Why would a Canadian fly that flag other than to be hateful?

After the South lost the Civil War, a lot of southern politicians and such claimed that the Secession from the Union wasn’t because of slavery but for states’ rights (to have slaves). The Confederate flag is seen as a symbol for states’ rights. That was the big claim, even now. That the war was for states’ rights and anti big government. But those claims only came about after the war was lost and people were in damage control. 

That’s what people will argue about to this day… That the Confederate flag represents states’ rights and only states’ rights, and never represented anything else. Despite the fact that the “states’ rights” in question was slavery. 

This book explains things perfectly. I read it in college and it infuriated me that the cause of the Civil War is still lied about in schools today. 
C5C29DAD-FF5C-48FF-BFD0-957C8944432A.jpeg.882625de774a626460016588e103e8b6.jpeg

• Upvote 12
  • Love 4

35 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

So this protest is funded by neo-nazi hate groups. I mean they day it is about vaccine mandates but the roots are sinsiter and toxic. 

11 minutes ago, Wolf in Sheeples’ Clothing said:

After the South lost the Civil War, a lot of southern politicians and such claimed that the Secession from the Union wasn’t because of slavery but for states’ rights (to have slaves). The Confederate flag is seen as a symbol for states’ rights. That was the big claim, even now. That the war was for states’ rights and anti big government. But those claims only came about after the war was lost and people were in damage control. 

That’s what people will argue about to this day… That the Confederate flag represents states’ rights and only states’ rights, and never represented anything else. Despite the fact that the “states’ rights” in question was slavery. 

This book explains things perfectly. I read it in college and it infuriated me that the cause of the Civil War is still lied about in schools today. 
C5C29DAD-FF5C-48FF-BFD0-957C8944432A.jpeg.882625de774a626460016588e103e8b6.jpeg

This. I was definitely tuaght the States rights bullshit in highschool. But also Canada had more tension with the Northern states (war of 1812) and border disputes and a lot of Canadians at the time sympathized with the "war of Northern Aggression" angle. 

I always say that if America is the MGA redneck who shoves their racism in your face, Canada is the white lady who is nice to your face but won't hesitate to call the police on you. Canada hides our racist core better. 

We are given a Confederate flag from one of my father's Southern relatives in the late 90s. My mom refused to display it in the house, my dad didn't see the big deal but finally gave it to appease my mother. But as I said, they aren't uncommon where I grew up.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

8 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

So this protest is funded by neo-nazi hate groups. I mean they day it is about vaccine mandates but the roots are sinsiter and toxic. 

They are probably not having a fun day. It’s been extremely cold, there are few public bathrooms downtown, our restaurants are all closed to sit-down meals due to Covid restrictions, Parliament Hill is closed for renovations and Prime Minister Trudeau is offsite isolating due to Covid exposure! 

• Upvote 10

Was coming here to post about the confederate flags in Ottawa associated with the truck convoy/protest of vaccine mandates for truckers crossing the border. Ffs. For those of you who don’t know, the government announced on Jan 15 that truckers crossing the border into Canada would be required to be vaccinated. Then came this “freedom convoy” of trucks and general public that started driving across Canada in protest. They started a GoFundMe that is over $5 million as of yesterday, I believe. What exactly is being done with the funds is questionable. People have showed up in droves in every city they’ve passed through to show support, including my own siblings. Many of the organizers are involved in hate groups/groups that target minorities and are openly racist/misogynistic/anti-medicine in general (hence confederate flag, ffs!!!). Now they’re in Ottawa protesting and it’s getting messy. I have many friends and family there, many of whom are healthcare workers, who have been unable to pass through to get to the hospital to work today. Businesses who were already struggling have closed for fear of the situation deteriorating. They had to close the downtown community vaccine clinic. Our PM relocated to his cottage because of death threats. And yet people still think this is all about freedoms and a good cause. As a healthcare worker who has been treating covid patients almost daily while pregnant, this is a huge freaking slap in the face. 

And, not to mention, when there have been protests about actual real issues here, like the constant suppression of indigenous peoples and the fact that there still isn’t clean drinking water in a lot of indigenous communities, the support was abysmal. So why people choose to throw their support and money at THIS is beyond me, and so freaking disheartening. 

Edited by Keys
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 33

1 hour ago, Tiny Bubbles said:

They are probably not having a fun day. It’s been extremely cold, there are few public bathrooms downtown, our restaurants are all closed to sit-down meals due to Covid restrictions, Parliament Hill is closed for renovations and Prime Minister Trudeau is offsite isolating due to Covid exposure! 

I am in Ontstio and have been listening to the reports from friend in Ottawa (I'm closer to Toronto) but yeah, this is not the ideal time for a protest and it makes me happy that they are probably maietavle. Also so many of the mandates and restrictions are.provoncial. And the US border vaccine mandate is coming from the US. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic