IGNORED

Jeremiah and Hannah: Finally Declared

Coconut Flan

It wasn’t possible for us to go to different high schools. So I went to high school with my older sister, younger step sibling, and multiple cousins. When you are in a town with only one high school, you are in class with people you’ve known since preschool. It’s kind of stifling. I’m glad I went to a big college.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Where are you located? I’ve never heard of a teacher staying with a class as they get older in the US, and I can’t imagine a school that small in modern times.

I think Waldorf schools do that but they're private

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Grace said:

They are class 1-8 the same teacher and then 9-12/13 another teacher. SUCKS if you don’t get along well with the teacher, great if you do! 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

19 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Where are you located? I’ve never heard of a teacher staying with a class as they get older in the US, and I can’t imagine a school that small in modern times.

There's a public school in my area that has one teacher for the younger grades and one for the older grades. I think it's Kindergarten through 4th grade and 5th through 8th. It's the only rural school in the district and small. This happened because the district wanted to close the school and the parents were adamant that they keep their kids in their community. This was the solution they reached and it has worked very well. Keeping kids in the school until high school added to the school population and enabled the district to justify it financially, as did grouping the grades. Parents do have the option of bussing their middle school kids out to a middle school but few do. The kids from this school do better academically overall than kids from the regular elementary schools.

• Upvote 6

I'm in Austria. I don't think the system has changed, it has been some time since I've been a student, but yeah, thats the system. Regular schools, primary, secondary and high school.

And yes, it sucks if your main teacher is somewhat of a dud. Believe me, i know.

ETA

@QuiverFullofBooks my primary and secondary school were in my village (2500 people).

Primary was quite small classes, we were 11 students, the other class was 15 I think. We did have a small class due to one kid with learning disabilities. Parents insisted on him being in our class, as far as I remember it (it's been a while), he didn't exactly flourish, but his parents were academics, and didn't want to send him to a school that was better equipped for his needs, even though he would have had more success there.

Going into secondary school, the two grades were combined, and they added in two students from a nearby village that don't have their own high school (400 people in their village, all primary school students in the same class) into our class, and there was another grade with additional students from neighbour villages.

So we had the same class mates for four years, and then another four years, and also the same teachers. The thing about sucks if you don't get along also applies to other students. I was a little bookish and nerdy, and that wasn't the most popular attribute. so primary and secondary school sucked for me...

Edited by SeekingAdventure
adding
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

On 11/23/2021 at 8:15 PM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I live in a decent-sized university town (~100k) in the US, and several (but not all) of our public elementary schools do this, not for all of elementary but for 2-3 grades. So a teacher might stay with a class through kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grades and then drop back down to kindergarten again. My niece and nephew are a year apart, so they had different teachers until 4th grade when the teachers at their school no longer rotated.

Edited by cacophony_grey
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

In Denmark, the teacher stays with you from 1st through 5th grade (separate Kindergarten teacher). You then get another teacher that stays with you from 6th grade through 9th grade. I thought that was a good idea. 

• Upvote 5

The process of keeping a teacher with a specific group of kids for two or more years is called looping. There is interesting research on looping and it mirrors the overall discussion points of the group. There are some pros and some cons. 

Since we primarily homeschool we have an extreme form of looping. Same teacher every single year. 

When we lived abroad my mother, who had been a licensed teacher in California before we moved, taught us all. We didn’t refer to ourselves as a homeschool, but as a correspondence school. We did the Calvert curriculum. I loved it.

• Upvote 2

When I was growing up in Ireland in the 80s, we kept the same teacher in primary school often for three years at a time.

The practice has been abandoned now. Because a teacher can take a dislike to a kid, and vice versa. It’s thought better to have a fresh start each year.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

I’m glad my kids aren’t at a school doing looping. Sometimes they have a teacher that isn’t a great fit and it would be really unfortunate if they had that teacher for years. My 3rd grader has a teacher that isn’t a great fit. There’s nothing wrong with his teacher. But she is super serious. And my son has a great sense of humor. Humor can help alleviate anxiety for him. But she doesn’t seem to like humor in her class and I think it’s making my son slightly more anxious. The mood isn’t ever light in his class. It’s all just serious work. And that’s hard for him day in and day out. His teacher last year was not a good off. But she allowed for some humor in the class along with work and learning. That worked really well for him. If he had that teacher for years in a row, things would be wonderful. But if he had this year’s teacher for years, his school life would be made much worse. 

• Upvote 7

I grew up in the Northeast part of the US and I had a different teacher every single year until high school. From about Kinder through 3rd or 4th, we had one teacher for all of our main academic classes. 5th-8th grades we started switching where there was a teacher we'd go to for math, one for science, one for history, etc. So interesting to learn about "looping" - I'd never heard of that before!

• Upvote 2

My son’s school does looping to some degree. I learned last week that there is at least one teacher who teaches 3rd and 4th then returns back to 3rd. My son has autism and I could see having the same teacher for two years being helpful as far as routine/familiarity goes. But I would not want him to have his current 1st grade teacher for 5 years in a row.

One thing I do like is that 9th graders have their own campus. It’s also common in our region for there to be two high schools - one for 9/10 and one for 11/12.

• Upvote 2

On 11/22/2021 at 5:45 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Hannah is really close with her unmarried sisters. So yes, it makes way more sense they would be chaperones. The last two times we saw Jer and Hannah together, Alaythia was the chaperone one time and Elizabeth was the chaperone the other time. Why is Jana suddenly not their chaperone if she was the chaperone all those other times she was spotted? 

I think it is just as likely that various siblings traded off chaperoning and Jana was just doing it for a while then took off to do her own thing while others took over as it is she was “getting to know” Stephen. It is a mystery that won’t be solved unless they want to tell us.

On 11/23/2021 at 5:47 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Like I said, it’s not always possible. But they always try to do it. If it’s not possible to give the younger kids the same teacher, it’s not the end of the world. 

We have the same thing here. Our public school is in a small town on the edge of a major city. Our little town has a charter school district and is one of the most desirable systems in the region - each job opening gets around 500 applications.  We have a daycare that is part of the system (regular market price for most of us but with slots for head start and low income kids). So my two, four classes apart, had literally the same teachers in various combinations from 0-2nd grade!  And it is likely her middle school team will be the same as his.

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 3

My kids' public US high school loops the guidance counselors.  For the most part I like this as the counselors and families get to know each other better than under the old system.  The downside is that some of the counselors are better than others, and also unless your kids are 4 grades apart they'll have different counselors from each other.  

On 11/23/2021 at 9:15 PM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

My kids go to an elementary school of 130 kids. They do mostly split classes so grade 3/4 and so on. 

On 11/23/2021 at 8:15 PM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Not OP, but I went to very small private school here in the U.S. in the late 90s/early 00s (not a Waldorf school). One year there were only 4 of us in an entire grade. We often had combined classrooms (several grades in one classroom with the same teacher) because there just weren't enough kids. We sometimes had the same teacher for several years in a row (which I loved if I liked the teacher!). So they do in fact exist! Mine actually recently shut down - they could not survive the COVID shut downs (and honestly surprised they didn't go under much sooner!). 

11 minutes ago, meep said:

Not OP, but I went to very small private school here in the U.S. in the late 90s/early 00s (not a Waldorf school). One year there were only 4 of us in an entire grade. We often had combined classrooms (several grades in one classroom with the same teacher) because there just weren't enough kids. We sometimes had the same teacher for several years in a row (which I loved if I liked the teacher!). So they do in fact exist! Mine actually recently shut down - they could not survive the COVID shut downs (and honestly surprised they didn't go under much sooner!). 

I should have specified a public school. I went to a tiny private school for the early grades myself.

• Upvote 2

Montessori also does looping.  Early childhood is usually 3-6 (preschool + Kindergarten) with the same teacher.  Lower Elementary is Grade 1-3 in the same classroom, Upper Elementary is 4-6 in the same classroom.  Middle and High school move into very individual based rather than class based (at our school middle school and high school have their own hub/lounge/study areas, and then individuals or small groups have meeting times with various teachers according to their needs.

Classroom/teacher mismatch is definitely a thing.  That would be a huge problem in a school where there are very limited options, luckily for ours the entire program (toddler through 12th grade) is pretty large and has a variety of teachers in it.  They do try very hard to match up personality type with teacher (one of the reasons for the "interviews" and such for new students--so sometimes adjustments need to be made a few weeks in for incoming new students at any level--usually they do a really good matching for existing students moving on to the next level)

Edited by Tigerchild74
  • Upvote 2

Back when our middle daughter was going into third grade, she got a teacher that I was sure would be a bad match. I was on the PTA and knew all the teachers pretty well. This one never showed up to any of our events, seemed less nurturing towards the kids, and wasn't one of the "popular" teachers. Well her and my daughter were like peas and carrots! They got along so well and to this day, she will talk about her favorite teacher with such fondness. I found this to be true on some level so many times over the years. And there were also times that there were some not so great matches, and that makes me glad they got a new teacher, classroom, and kids every year. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

My son had the WORST kindergarten teacher (and kindy is 2 years here). She was awful for him- she wanted to teach older kids so 3-4-5 year olds were not her thing.

thank GOD he didn’t have to keep her. I did tell his school that is my line in the sand. I think she teaches grade 4 and he will NEVER have her again. That is when I pull him out if I have to- horrible wretched woman. (School totally gets it- I don’t think she wants him anymore than I want her)

His first grade teacher was a delight and she just loved him. His second grade teacher also really liked him. (Damn Covid ending both those years badly). Grade 3 is going well and I am glad he was able to shake Horrible Teacher.

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Did Jeremiah and Hannah spend Thanksgiving together?

I believe Hannah was at the Duggar house on Thanksgiving. I don’t think she brought a chaperone since her siblings were at the Wissmann home on Thanksgiving. 

• Thank You 5

On 11/23/2021 at 10:41 PM, Grace said:

My oldest three went to a small school in NC. They had many high school teachers two or theee years. Only a handful of the teacher taught Advance placement classes. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, meep said:

Are we thinking they will be married by Spring?

Definitely. Jer/Jb are probably planning a proposal right now, they will want to secure this before the end of Josh's trial, just in case. 

I could see an engagement be announced before the end of the year or soon after New Year like: "new year new marriage" or something like 

• Upvote 8

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic