IGNORED

Jeremiah and Hannah: Finally Declared

Coconut Flan

The countriest wedding I’ve ever witnessed was an outdoor wedding where everyone sat on hay bales and the bride arrived on a fire truck since the groom was a firefighter. And then they had a bunch of bouncy houses and stuff in a field during the reception. The food was bbq. I don’t know if you can get any more country than that. Fun stuff.

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 2
  • Love 4

The countriest wedding I've been too was my second cousin and it was in the backyard on folding chairs. My great uncle (bride's uncle) was sitting behind me during the ceremony drinking a can of Bush beer. Kegs and bbq for reception. It was a great time!

ETA: groom and groomsmen wore jeans and vests

Edited by theotherelise
  • Upvote 2

The countriest wedding I've ever been to I was the Maid of Honor in, which is strange because I had only known the bride for about a year and through the groom. 

So here's the story. The groom was my husbands best friend from Childhood. He met this girl at work (WalMart) and they start dating.  He introduces her to the friend group and she's nice enough. We all got along. 6 months later they get engaged. She asks me to be her MOH and our other friend to be her bridesmaid. Does not ask her 3 sisters or anyone else she has known longer. Her dress was from Catherine's, Our "outfits" were from Fashion Bug. She picked them out. Mine was a pink top with a short black skirt and platforms. The Bridesmaids was a blue short sleeved sweater with a blue floral skirt and flats. The groom wore a suit. My husband was the best man, he wore a dress shirt and khakis and the other groomsman did as well. It was at a park (nothing wrong with that) in a pavilion, the food was pot luck and burgers and dogs cooked by the father of the bride, the cake was made by her aunt. The music was a boombox. The "decorations" were purple and blue flowers from AC Moore, white table cloths and paper/plastic plates/silverware. It was BYOB. There was no photographer, I took all the pictures on digital camera and made an album for them later. I had to ask people for ceremony pictures. Her Dad wore jean overalls over a flannel, her sister wore a night gown with jeans under it. Her mother was dressed nicely. The grooms family was all dressed in their Sunday finest. 

Edited by Sullie06
  • Upvote 8

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The countriest wedding I’ve ever witnessed was an outdoor wedding where everyone sat on hay bales and the bride arrived on a fire truck since the groom was a firefighter. And then they had a bunch of bouncy houses and stuff in a field during the reception. The food was bbq. I don’t know if you can get any more country than that. Fun stuff.

I may be able to top this. 

Keep the hay bales and BBQ but delete the fire truck, add a tobacco field for a backdrop of the ceremony and wedding photos in the bed of a pickup with the couple posing with crossbows. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3

I’m a but sad I don’t have a “countriest wedding” to contribute to the thread drift but also laughing at the “my countriest wedding” thread drift!

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Sullie06 said:

The countriest wedding I've ever been to I was the Maid of Honor in, which is strange because I had only known the bride for about a year and through the groom. 

So here's the story. The groom was my husbands best friend from Childhood. He met this girl at work (WalMart) and they start dating.  He introduces her to the friend group and she's nice enough. We all got along. 6 months later they get engaged. She asks me to be her MOH and our other friend to be her bridesmaid. Does not ask her 3 sisters or anyone else she has known longer. Her dress was from Catherine's, Our "outfits" were from Fashion Bug. She picked them out. Mine was a pink top with a short black skirt and platforms. The Bridesmaids was a blue short sleeved sweater with a blue floral skirt and flats. The groom wore a suit. My husband was the best man, he wore a dress shirt and khakis and the other groomsman did as well. It was at a park (nothing wrong with that) in a pavilion, the food was pot luck and burgers and dogs cooked by the father of the bride, the cake was made by her aunt. The music was a boombox. The "decorations" were purple and blue flowers from AC Moore, white table cloths and paper/plastic plates/silverware. It was BYOB. There was no photographer, I took all the pictures on digital camera and made an album for them later. I had to ask people for ceremony pictures. Her Dad wore jean overalls over a flannel, her sister wore a night gown with jeans under it. Her mother was dressed nicely. The grooms family was all dressed in their Sunday finest. 

I would have found this strange as a guest, at least initially, but your description makes it seem so utterly sweet and earnest, I hope everyone had a great time and good memories of it. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

36 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

I would have found this strange as a guest, at least initially, but your description makes it seem so utterly sweet and earnest, I hope everyone had a great time and good memories of it. 

It was for sure the strangest wedding I have ever been to. Most of the guests were family so thankfully, I think it was just normal to them. It was a nice wedding overall and they are still married 18 years later and have 4 kids. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

I will admit there are discussions after all of our Fundy weddings that we talk about, the pal formal or informal they did this or if they did or didn't do something that people are used to seeing at weddings.

Weddings are cultural, regional, and influenced by social economic status.

When my peers in the Midwest were getting married in the 90s (small towns, not usually larger metropolitan areas), if there was music and dancing they usually had a dollar dance, in which the men in attendance would pay to dance with the bride. The money went to help the couple out in starting their new life.

Cultural norms can also be broken- I was so grateful to my sister because she decided not to throw the wedding bouquet. 

The "dollar dance" was very popular in southern New England in the 80s and 90s.  We had it at my wedding (1993) and my sister's (1992).  In fact, they extended the dollar dance for the groom as well as the bride.  I remember waiting in line with my dollar at many weddings to dance with the groom back then. 

The custom seems to have vanished as of late.  I have been to several weddings from 2009 through 2019 and not one dollar dance was held.  Ditto the tossing of the bouquet and garter.  At one wedding I attended, there was no cutting of the cake; the bride and groom shared a small cake at their own table (that's another trend that's vanishing-the head table for the entire wedding party and parents) and the guests were told to help themselves at a dessert table piled high with individually wrapped whoopie pies (I admit to enjoying that one immensely. 😀)  

However, the one wedding trend I simply cannot get behind are wedding party toasts that become roasts.  At my 1993 wedding my husband's brother-the best man-said two lines (he gave us the index card with his toast) and made it very short and sweet.  Now, it seems the entire wedding party on both sides gets on the floor like open mike night at a comedy club, telling all kinds of anecdotes and private jokes that go over the heads of the vast majority of the guests.   At one wedding, the best man and groomsmen talked about their college days for almost 20 minutes.  And we hadn't even heard from the bride's side yet-which when they got up, naturally tried to outdo the groom's side with their stories.  In this case, for the sake of the guests and well as the wedding party,  less is more.           

Edited by HeartsAFundie
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

26 minutes ago, HeartsAFundie said:

However, the one wedding trend I simply cannot get behind are wedding party toasts that become roasts.  At my 1993 wedding my husband's brother-the best man-said two lines (he gave us the index card with his toast) and made it very short and sweet.  Now, it seems the entire wedding party on both sides gets on the floor like open mike night at a comedy club, telling all kinds of anecdotes and private jokes that go over the heads of the vast majority of the guests.   At one wedding, the best man and groomsmen talked about their college days for almost 20 minutes.  And we hadn't even heard from the bride's side yet-which when they got up, naturally tried to outdo the groom's side with their stories.  In this case, for the sake of the guests and well as the wedding party,  less is more.           

agreed. At our wedding - my husband got roasted - I didn't. So it was a little weird. 

We didn't do a bouquet or garter toss. I've always felt like they were uncomfortable when I was on the guest side so we skipped them. We also didn't do the father/daughter dance etc. My dad HAAAATES dancing and I hate being the center of attention. And my dad and I have a complicated relationship. Not a bad relationship - but the warm & fuzzy daddy/daughter dance emotional stuff - not our situation. I don't regret it. 

• Upvote 5

I want to see more of the dress (360 view, please). I don’t want to see the wedding or guests, just the dress. I think this one might be my most favorite of all the Bs and Ds so far. I prefer wedding gowns that are more tailored, but not extremely form fitting, not that a fundie would buy/wear that type. I do not like:

Huge fluffy dresses or ball gowns: (Jessa, Kendra, Joy)

Heavy dresses that wear the bride (Jinger, Katie, Carlin to a lesser extent)

Boring cookie cutter with that bubble bodice (Abbie, Nathan’s wife)

Poor alterations (Erin, Jill, Michaela)

Most disappointing choice, Josie. I was expecting something very fashionable from her.

Dresses I did like: Lauren, Tori, Kendra for her youthfulness and bubbly personality-

HW’s dress was unique with the Swiss polka dots (didnt Joy’s have those too?), color, what looks like a lighter weight fabric, sheer sleeves, fitted but not tight and a reasonable train. I really like it.

• Upvote 1

On 3/25/2022 at 11:31 PM, love2scrap said:

LOL hannah posted the same photo but with a full length view of her dress... and a very prominent hard on 😂

Screenshot_20220326-113007_Instagram.jpg

I feel bad because - thanks only to his father selling out his childhood making him have a degree of 'fame' that he never asked for - this picture will now forever be on the internet on hundreds of sites for his future children and grandchildren to find. Lol.  

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Dresses I did like: Lauren, Tori, Kendra for her youthfulness and bubbly personality-

Lauren‘s dress seemed boring from the front - but the back made it very interesting. I just wished she had worn her hair in an updo. 

• I Agree 3

33 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I want to see more of the dress (360 view, please). I don’t want to see the wedding or guests, just the dress.

This is a screenshot from the photographers Instagram. Hannah's dress has a large train that could be detatched. 

CC618334-EFBC-4AEE-A2EE-B777B04329A6_1_201_a.jpeg

• Thank You 3

Every time I see a fundie wedding photographed by E Mitton I think about how much better the photos look compared to anything Christopher Maxwell ever did.

My two cents on the wedding: the bride was lovely and I liked her dress. I don't think the groom is handsome but he did look happy (and in some photos really happy LOL) so that counts. I like the understated decorations . The reception looked ok. The one thing that did strike me: the guests were dressed more in line with what I'd consider appropriate wedding wear. Usually at fundie weddings there are a lot of people who are dressed in a way I think is too casual ie it looks like they are wearing everyday clothes not clothes for a special occasion. Also: all the Duggars have been really quiet about the wedding on social media.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

3 hours ago, Kylolo said:

I may be able to top this. 

Keep the hay bales and BBQ but delete the fire truck, add a tobacco field for a backdrop of the ceremony and wedding photos in the bed of a pickup with the couple posing with crossbows. 

I went to a wedding reception once in a volunteer fire department --not even a conference/meeting room--the actual garage (they parked the trucks outside for the event)

• Upvote 1

I didn’t watch more than snippets of the ceremony, but at the beginning the pastor came out and asked that guests refrain from posting on social media until the couple had posted their own story. It seems like most of the guests took that request seriously.

Not my style of dress, but it suits her perfectly and she looks happy in it. My main complaint is the same one I have for a lot of these girls, that her hair looks like it hasn’t been brushed. 

I also like that this couple comes across as very comfortable with each other. They seem better matched than a lot of these young couples. 

Cons - if you’re going to stream the service, arrange for some decent lighting and ask the operator to zoom in occasionally. What I saw looked like it was filmed in the middle of the night from a vantage point across the street. 

• Upvote 7

7 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

That sounds like a lot of fun. Pig roast are popular for weddings around here. I'm a country girl who married a city boy (and one who's parents are immigrants with a strong cultural community) so weddings from my side and my husband's tend to be wildly different. 

• Upvote 2

I have been to many, many country weddings but I think the countriest was my aunt's. Full on Western theme, all the guests in denim and cowboy boots/hats, guests brought dogs, etc. Most weddings that do a pig roast hire professionals but they decided to DIY and it took way longer to cook than they planned and it wasn't ready until after 9 p.m. They served all the sides for dinner and then people ate the meat when it was done. And my aunt's fancy white cowboys hurt her feet so she made me change shoes with her. 

33 minutes ago, browngrl said:

Every time I see a fundie wedding photographed by E Mitton I think about how much better the photos look compared to anything Christopher Maxwell ever did.

My two cents on the wedding: the bride was lovely and I liked her dress. I don't think the groom is handsome but he did look happy (and in some photos really happy LOL) so that counts. I like the understated decorations . The reception looked ok. The one thing that did strike me: the guests were dressed more in line with what I'd consider appropriate wedding wear. Usually at fundie weddings there are a lot of people who are dressed in a way I think is too casual ie it looks like they are wearing everyday clothes not clothes for a special occasion. Also: all the Duggars have been really quiet about the wedding on social media.

Do you mean Photography by Britton? Britton Felber and his wife have photographed many an IBLP wedding, Bates and Duggars. They do beautiful work but cost a pretty penny. I know one of Britton's brothers and it escaped me for several years that they were IBLP.

• Upvote 3

On 3/27/2022 at 3:14 PM, meep said:

I would understand the confetti think if they were like two 19-year-olds marrying. Definitely something I'd think was fun when I was younger. But she's almost 27-years-old, it seems a little past her age. However, if that's what they think is fun, more power to them! Sorry to the people at the church who have to sweep it up though! 😂

As a soon to be 37 year old who still experiences happiness at the sight of glitter I have no room to talk. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 6

2 hours ago, HeartsAFundie said:

At one wedding, the best man and groomsmen talked about their college days for almost 20 minutes.  And we hadn't even heard from the bride's side yet-which when they got up, naturally tried to outdo the groom's side with their stories.  In this case, for the sake of the guests and well as the wedding party,  less is more.           

Oh boy I remember attending on wedding where the father of the bride went on and on about his "little girl".   It didn't give much time to the best man and MOH to do their speech as by the time they got their turn, the guests were obviously over it. 

With this in mind, when it came my turn to do a speech as MOH, I kept it very short and sweet.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Giraffe said:

I’m a but sad I don’t have a “countriest wedding” to contribute to the thread drift but also laughing at the “my countriest wedding” thread drift!

I need a "My big fat country wedding," TV/streaming series.

There's such a range of things; you'd see things like Ree Drummonds 500 guest immaculate affair, and then you'd also see the trashiest shit imaginable.

I'd love to see it also focus on different parts of the country, not just straight-up southern, but Florida vs. Montana vs. Ohio vs. Maine. There are trashy country people everywhere.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Other than the prickly bum and the alcohol and bouncy houses not mixing it sounds perfect. I hope there was plenty of hot fireys to perv at :) 

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

I went to a wedding reception once in a volunteer fire department --not even a conference/meeting room--the actual garage (they parked the trucks outside for the event)

Having wedding receptions and other parties at “fire houses” is fairly common in some regions - maybe Pennsylvania and New Jersey?

1 minute ago, xenobia said:

Bonus photo: A closer look at the wedding ring. No people included what so ever :) 

12B6CEBC-C960-4D6A-979B-BECA27CE10AE_1_201_a.jpeg

That’s an engagement ring, not a wedding ring. And it’s from Tiffany’s!! Way to class things up, Jed!

• Upvote 4

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic