IGNORED

Jeremiah and Hannah: Finally Declared

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

Usually I'm so practical, but after a picture went viral of a woman watching William and Kate get married while wearing her own wedding dress (much akin to a guy wearing a jersey during a football game) I'm determined to keep my future wedding dress and actually wear it again as appropriate.

The other ritual I love is the women around here that have mentioned wearing their wedding dresses each year on their anniversary to putter around and clean the house. Definitely will do that.

I don’t know if I even would want to spend so much money on a dress that I only wear once.  As of now a beautiful location, good food and to be able to invite the people I truly care about would be higher on my list than a super expensive wedding dress.

• Upvote 8

12 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

Usually I'm so practical, but after a picture went viral of a woman watching William and Kate get married while wearing her own wedding dress (much akin to a guy wearing a jersey during a football game) I'm determined to keep my future wedding dress and actually wear it again as appropriate.

The other ritual I love is the women around here that have mentioned wearing their wedding dresses each year on their anniversary to putter around and clean the house. Definitely will do that.

I haven't cleaned my house in my wedding dress - but I have been known to stick the tiara headband thingy on my head when I'm cleaning.... 

I'm thinking we need a fancy dress party somewhere though... hmmm

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

A year or two ago, a bridal consignment shop opened up in my area and I’m hoping it starts to become a more common thing. The shop has a variety of sizes and styles, and some dresses are samples or were purchased and never worn. They even have MOB and bridesmaid dresses. The dresses are sold for a fraction of the original price!

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, Smash! said:

I don’t know if I even would want to spend so much money on a dress that I only wear once.  As of now a beautiful location, good food and to be able to invite the people I truly care about would be higher on my list than a super expensive wedding dress.

TBH my list of things I cared about for my wedding was the particular church I wanted to be married in, having a tiered cake rather than any kind of trendy dessert bar, and wearing a white dress (I didn't cared about labels or anything like that, I just wanted the dress to be white). Outside of the obvious like the groom and the guests, I mean. I actually had a family member make my dress, but if I hadn't it would had been something relatively cheap like David's Bridal. I don't get spending huge amounts of money in a one-day thing anyway, though.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with the dress long-term. That same family member converts wedding gowns into baptismal gowns, which I might have done if we hadn't had an antique gown to use for my kids. I did make sure my bridesmaid was able to more or less pick her own gown, so she had something she had a chance of reusing.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

19 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

I love that idea 

one really sweet one I saw was newborn photos using the dress as a blankie to lay the baby on sounds really tacky but the way it turned out really nicely 

• Upvote 3

I pulled out my wedding dress a couple of times on anniversaries but my 2nd wedding anniversary was a week after my son was born and from that point on I didn’t fit the dress anymore. At the 10yr mark I took some photos of my daughters in it which I hope to pull out one day at their bridal shower or something if they ever get married. I love my wedding dress. I didn’t keep the husband but I still have the dress 😂

Spoiler

9252FB5F-45B4-4FDC-955B-BC985AD02445.thumb.jpeg.f6a7d01e702fad87f352b8e3616a08b4.jpeg

• Love 36

The wedding Is around the corner, who do we think will attend of the Bates? I think they J+H where at Natha's wedding, so Nathan and Esther will be there, Who else? Not Carlin She Is about to have the baby, maybe Lawson and Tiff? I'm curios to see if we will spot some new couples or confirm a couple of speculated pregnancy (Abbie, Kendra and maybe Lauren with a new baby)

• Upvote 7

On 1/24/2022 at 3:11 AM, Audrey2 said:

That's why I put myself on dishwashing duty as much as possible. 

Or tea/coffee making duty. I’m a whizz with a teapot. Just don’t expect me to sit in a room full of people I hardly know.  Both baptism after parties  for our boys were held at our house catered for by us. Small guest list of close friends. A lovely neighbour who became a marvellous friend baked the cakes. We have lovely memories. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

Peeking out of lurkdom here to suggest, if you ever want to get rid of your wedding dress, please donate it to an organization that makes angel gowns for babies that have passed. It was immensely appreciated and cherished.

• I Agree 1
  • Love 42

2 hours ago, MayMay1123 said:

Peeking out of lurkdom here to suggest, if you ever want to get rid of your wedding dress, please donate it to an organization that makes angel gowns for babies that have passed. It was immensely appreciated and cherished.

That’s where I donated mine. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 9

My kids used mine as a bride of Frankenstein halloween costume for many years. 🤣 We lived in a very halloween-enthusiastic neighborhood. We could easily go through 15 bags of candy in an hour. A house up the street always decked out their garage in a Frankenstein theme and when the girls were around 12 I let them have at it. It was a pretty cheap Boscovs off the rack lacy white dress so I don't care. Not like I'm ever gonna wear it again. 

• Upvote 7

Was the Wisemann bachelorette party for Hannah? Why then does she look squeezed slightly off center in the middle, and why did they have a woman (Kori?) wearing the same dress as Hannah right beside her? Kori almost looks like the star of the show since she’s the one in the middle. And shouldn’t, couldn’t she have at least asked Hannah which gown she was wearing and not wear the same one? 

I went to my prom and my son went to several but I never really understood the reasoning behind them. Some parents in my area spend boo-coo bucks for their daughter’s prom gown. One acquaintance still had several of her daughter’s gowns in the closet even after the daughter was married with three kids! The acquaintance was a woman of very little means and had a hard time parting with dresses because she’d paid so much for them, one costing $900, even tho she needed the closet space for herself. There are numerous consignment shops around that sell used prom gowns, not sure if she ever went that route.

I do love the bowling in gowns, bride of Frankenstein and other creative ideas to rewear the dresses, and damn, housework in a tiara would really help take the drudgery out of it! 

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 2

Mine was "preserved" in a box for the longest time and stashed under the stairs. And then I think we had a bit of water damage. So I pulled it out and checked and tried it on (it fit! - 15 years later) and then it got stuffed in a box when we moved. I think it's still there. 
I liked it - but like SO much of my wedding 20 years ago - it's not who I am now etc. I probably would have picked the same thing but... 
I wonder if it still fits. (and if it's still clean?) 

• Love 8

On 3/10/2022 at 9:28 AM, Italiangirl said:

The wedding Is around the corner, who do we think will attend of the Bates? I think they J+H where at Natha's wedding, so Nathan and Esther will be there, Who else? Not Carlin She Is about to have the baby, maybe Lawson and Tiff? I'm curios to see if we will spot some new couples or confirm a couple of speculated pregnancy (Abbie, Kendra and maybe Lauren with a new baby)

My guess is Lawson, Trace, Nathan. Maybe some of the younger boys. Possibly Alyssa (she posted a pic with Hannah at Katie's wedding and Hannah held Maci during the ceremony) and probably Katie. I doubt any of the other Bates girls will go. 

• Upvote 3

On 3/3/2022 at 10:11 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Isn’t it sad? They grab one of their many old bridesmaid dresses out of their closet and play dress up for a day. It’s too bad they just couldn’t go to an actual prom when they were teens. Now they have pretend prom when some are almost 40.

I'm in a few homeschool alumni groups and I often have to point out that many cities have "goth proms" because so many of us are disappointed that we didn't get a real prom. ☹️

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, meep said:

I'm in a few homeschool alumni groups and I often have to point out that many cities have "goth proms" because so many of us are disappointed that we didn't get a real prom. ☹️

I’ve seen “mom prom” advertised lately. It’s usually a fundraiser of some sort. You would think more fundies would do that but so many are probably against dancing 🙄

Edited by JermajestyDuggar

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’ve seen “mom prom” advertised lately. It’s usually a fundraiser of some sort. You would think more fundies would do that but so many are probably against dancing 🙄

They have dates with Daddy at their purity balls.

• Disgust 5

7 hours ago, meep said:

I’ve seen a few women do double quince themes for their 30th, and a few others who have just done prom themed birthday parties for fun. Why not? 

• Upvote 3

On 3/13/2022 at 9:45 PM, Mama Mia said:

I’ve seen a few women do double quince themes for their 30th, and a few others who have just done prom themed birthday parties for fun. Why not? 

At the venue my nephew got married in last year, one of the other rooms was having a Prom Birthday Party. It looked amazing! The couples were all ages and wore matching outfits dressed to the nines, corsages, prom pics, they had a Michael Jackson impersonator dancing Thriller, and one time when I was passing by for the 99th time, the birthday "girl" was getting "Prom Queened"!! Sash, crown, scepter! Music was awesome and it looked super fun. Our wedding was fun, but had it not been my nephew's, I might've tried to sneak in!

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Honey Beach said:

At the venue my nephew got married in last year, one of the other rooms was having a Prom Birthday Party. It looked amazing! The couples were all ages and wore matching outfits dressed to the nines, corsages, prom pics, they had a Michael Jackson impersonator dancing Thriller, and one time when I was passing by for the 99th time, the birthday "girl" was getting "Prom Queened"!! Sash, crown, scepter! Music was awesome and it looked super fun. Our wedding was fun, but had it not been my nephew's, I might've tried to sneak in!

Goals. I like the kid themed adult party’s too! Bounce house in a fancy ball gown and a piñata filled with those little foil wrapped chocolate booze bottles. I’m in

• Upvote 7

37 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

Goals. I like the kid themed adult party’s too! Bounce house in a fancy ball gown and a piñata filled with those little foil wrapped chocolate booze bottles. I’m in

This thread has convinced me that we need a party this summer at the cottage where we ALL dress up in fancy dresses and hit the very-not-fancy bar. I am going to say "Wedding dresses, bridesmaids, prom, or thrift it - matters not. Do it up." 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

I did a “growing old not growing up” party for my 30th. No bounce house sadly, but we did have a piñata and played pass the parcel and musical chairs, face painting and a colouring in competition and I gave out party bags.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 2

My wedding gown is just hanging in a closet. I was married in 2006 so it's been there a while. It's in a garment bag but was never cleaned or preserved in anyway. I honestly don't know why I'm hanging onto it. For one thing, it doesn't even fit me anymore. I'm almost 100 pounds lighter than I was when I got married. Plus it's outdated, it's not like my daughter will want it. However, when my cousin got married she used her mother's dress from the 70s and reworked it so I guess you will never know. I will just leave it in the closet I guess lol

• Upvote 8

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic