IGNORED

Jeremiah and Hannah: Finally Declared

Coconut Flan

My wedding dress is also “preserved” in a box. At least I’m assuming it is. I’ve never actually opened the box to check, so I’m assuming it’s in there. I don’t think my son will ever want it so no idea why I’m hanging onto it. Maybe one day I’ll open it, check for contents, and donate. God knows I’m never fitting into it again even if I needed it! 😂

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

My mom just took hers out of the preserved box thing.  She got married in 1961. The dress is still beautiful---sort of Kate Middletonesque with long lace sleeves. Very classic. Maybe one of the granddaughters will wear it.  

• Upvote 8
  • Love 4

I'm getting married this summer, haven't found my dress yet (I'm cutting it close, I know). Figured I could either keep it and wear it for fancy events later depending on exactly how "bridal" it looks, or else I'm hoping to resell it. I'm not having kids, so there's no other reason for me to keep it. My mom and my older sister never had formal weddings, so I'm the first girl in the family to have one since my grandmother in the early '50s. No idea what my grandmother did with her dress though. The grandparents were divorced, and judging by what she did to all their pictures, I'm guessing she burned it? 😂

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

My mom just took hers out of the preserved box thing.  She got married in 1961. The dress is still beautiful---sort of Kate Middletonesque with long lace sleeves. Very classic. Maybe one of the granddaughters will wear it.  

not to be all doom and gloom, but my mother remarried a widower whose wife died when her daughters were very small. She had saved her wedding dress, and my mom preserved it. The first wife's daughters were married wearing their mom's wedding dress.

• Love 29

My first wedding ring is the one my father picked out for my mother and that she wore until a few years after his death. My husband asked my mom for permission to marry me and to use the ring (she knew we were getting serious and as my father’s only child had offered it to me, plus she had remarried by that point). He proposed in a secluded spot in nature with no one else around, just the way I preferred it.

My husband bought a second ring for me a few years ago that we picked out together, and that’s what I wear now. Once my kids are grown I plan to have my original wedding ring resized again because it hasn’t fit me since my first pregnancy. Neither has my wedding dress, but I still have it wrapped and sealed in my closet. 

• Love 8

2 hours ago, patsymae said:

not to be all doom and gloom, but my mother remarried a widower whose wife died when her daughters were very small. She had saved her wedding dress, and my mom preserved it. The first wife's daughters were married wearing their mom's wedding dress.

That was a lovely thing to do.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 3

On 3/7/2022 at 6:30 AM, HereticHick said:

I've stated it multiple times on the Bates threads--I've never understood why these fundy maidens who are allegedly being trained to be holy housewives don't alter their bridesmaid dresses afterwards to something more suitable for wearing as wedding guests. Not all dresses can be altered but some can--raise the hem, change out the belt, etc. In the Wissmans picture, the navy blue and dark green dresses especially look like they would work as midi-length dresses.

I actually own the dress from the Bontrager/Bowers double wedding that the bridesmaids wore.  It's a simple mid-length navy blue dress.  I actually wear it to work!

• Upvote 7
  • Love 2

Hannah answered a few questions in her stories. They get married on the 26th in Nebraska and will live in Arkansas afterwards.

Miss Renee was awesome. I couldn’t read the stuff about bridesmaids. The wedding will be on their YouTube channel.

What does Jeremiah do? Is he construction, car sales or real estate? Or has he gone rogue and picked a different career?
I think Hannah will develop more of a social media presence than the other daughters in law- she is quite polished and well spoken.

• Upvote 8

When my older sister got married, she rented her gown.  She and her fiance were already saving up to buy a house, and paying hundreds or more on something to be used once seemed silly to them.  Good call, as her daughter wanted a very different type of wedding when she got married and wouldn't have wanted it, anyway.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Idlewild said:

Hannah answered a few questions in her stories. They get married on the 26th in Nebraska and will live in Arkansas afterwards.

Miss Renee was awesome. I couldn’t read the stuff about bridesmaids. The wedding will be on their YouTube channel.

What does Jeremiah do? Is he construction, car sales or real estate? Or has he gone rogue and picked a different career?
I think Hannah will develop more of a social media presence than the other daughters in law- she is quite polished and well spoken.

I saw that too, and I agree about Hannah. She's used to being in the spotlight, since she's been in the Wissman family band before she could even walk, or something like that. I think we'll see a lot of these two through her youtube/instagram-accounts. 

• Upvote 10

I’m having a big fancy wedding, no matter that I have no fiancé (or even a boyfriend😭) That little hiccup won’t rain on my parade. 

But seriously I love wedding dresses. If I ever get married I want to wear this dress. It’s $15k so my future spouse better be rich😭

54C5C73F-69C1-42FD-BB4D-D8A393EBF3C7.jpeg.80a61415f40635b21ef2f0547fa8d678.jpeg

• Upvote 15
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 8

@Jinder Roles Gorgeous dress!

I love wedding dresses too. And engagement rings! When boyfriend and I decide to get married I totally want to go to a bridal shop and try on all those expensive gorgeous dresses even tough I most likely won‘t buy one.

I‘d love something like this: 

Spoiler

2D35ABCD-B2D8-43A7-B479-86E19DB0B2FE.thumb.jpeg.100ae392266351d0004d897b88263b17.jpeg

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 7

3 hours ago, xenobia said:

I saw that too, and I agree about Hannah. She's used to being in the spotlight, since she's been in the Wissman family band before she could even walk, or something like that. I think we'll see a lot of these two through her youtube/instagram-accounts. 

I agree. They locked down the Wissmann blog when it got out there was a Wissmann/Duggar match. But that blog went way back. And the family has been a traveling singing group since Hannah was young. What’s funny is that once a lot of the older ones got married, they traveled less and less. Unlike the Bontragers. Who are still trying to do the same thing as when they had many adult children in the band. Now they have two adult children and two underage kids. I bet Taylor will marry soon and that will leave only 3. 

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Smash! said:

@Jinder Roles Gorgeous dress!

I love wedding dresses too. And engagement rings! When boyfriend and I decide to get married I totally want to go to a bridal shop and try on all those expensive gorgeous dresses even tough I most likely won‘t buy one.

I‘d love something like this: 

Hide contents

2D35ABCD-B2D8-43A7-B479-86E19DB0B2FE.thumb.jpeg.100ae392266351d0004d897b88263b17.jpeg

My oldest got married in 2019 and her dress was almost identical to this! Got it at a formal wear consignment shop for $150.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

On 3/16/2022 at 5:41 PM, Satan'sFortress said:

I loved playing dress up in my grandmother’s wedding gown. Simple cut, long sleeves, lace all over and floor length on 8year old me, so I assume knee length on a grown up. She threw it away at one point which was really sad, because I would have considered getting it tailored (and maybe changing the neckline and incorporating this in our christening gown) and wear it for the (obligatory) court part of my wedding or maybe the christenings of the children. Never had the chance to ask, because it was gone before any of those occasions were in any way on the horizon.
So, I definitely keep mine. Second hand dresses or donation schemes are not really a thing here. And if my children want to use it as a costume fine, and if any of them or their offspring want to use it for an actual second outing it’s there (it they didn’t ruin it playing). 
I will say, dresses with sleeves or straps are much better for the dress up part though. But I married in the 2000, strapless was basically all there was was. It’s great to see so much variety in wedding dresses in the last years. There are still trends but much less dominating.

• Upvote 8

My wedding dress is a maternity dress from Seraphine. It's a pretty dress but not necessarily a wedding dress. It's not even white. I'm still waiting for someone getting married while I'm pregnant so I could wear it again. My last pregnancy was in 2020, so no weddings due to covid. But maybe next time.

• Upvote 2

It's encouraging to see examples of women on here who are willing to let their daughters wear their wedding dress. I'm not getting married anytime soon, but if I was I would love to wear my mother's dress; however, I'm not sure how she would react if I were to ask her because 1) alterations would definitely have to be made, and 2) she seems very attached to it.

If she were to say no, I'd just find one in a similar cut, like this one:

Spoiler

Screenshot_20220319-150600_Ecosia.thumb.jpg.9d5b7907b851c10c9082fd2afa939792.jpg

Edited by TheLastFundiecorn
Changed some wording to match the right tense
  • Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Love 1

I'd totally let my daughter wear my dress, but I was pretty heavy when I got married (and am even heavier now) and I hope she'll never fit into it.  I don't want to discuss weight with her or in front of her at all, but I have struggled very hard with my weight for years and even though being thin is certainly no guarantee of happiness... I would hope not to see her go through the same thing.

But she could do whatever she likes with the dress.  I used to love dressing up in my mom's and would consider making her a costume from the fabric, too.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 7

On 3/10/2022 at 9:06 AM, MayMay1123 said:

Peeking out of lurkdom here to suggest, if you ever want to get rid of your wedding dress, please donate it to an organization that makes angel gowns for babies that have passed. It was immensely appreciated and cherished.

That’s what I finally did with mine. My mom had it preserved so it was in beautiful condition, and I know the donation was greatly appreciated.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 3

My wedding dress (knee length, spaghetti straps) was 40€ and I got it online. We were together for 5 years, had a courthouse wedding, a small restaurant reception (nothing fancy), no money because we just moved from Italy to Germany and starting our life there and mostly married for bureaucratic reasons. To this day I still dream of having a classic Italian wedding and a princess gown to wear. A heavy white, smooth satin skirt without any lace or crystals, long sleeves, square neckline and a corset. Maybe a vow renewal at our tenth anniversary. I love my husband and I’m happy I married him 7 years ago but I swear I will wear that dream wedding gown once in my life 😅

• Upvote 7
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Love 14

I forget the name of the show, but they made wedding dresses. One woman wanted to incorporate her mom's wedding dress.

Show: We love to use the mom's wedding dress and update it for her daughter.

Daughter: She got married in 1984.

Show: I'm sorry.

• Haha 23

I'd love for my daughter to wear my gown if/when she gets married. Of course, given that she's currently a newborn, I think I've got a while before that comes up! I also wouldn't mind a daughter-in-law doing so, though I admit that's less likely. It's a simple, fairly classic silhouette with only a bit of lace at the sleeves and under the bust, so even if she wants to alter it it shouldn't be too hard.

• Upvote 4

22 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

Sneak peak of the bridesmaid dresses?Screenshot_20220321-173823.thumb.png.faaa2ecb00b39169739b0d18e26caae3.png

Apparently not. Rachel posted that she is not a bridesmaid but Autumn is the flower girl. I know Hannah said they are having one niece and nephew from each side, so I wonder which Duggar girl will be the other flower girl. 

Edited by CanadianMamam
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

Apparently not. Rachel posted that she is not a bridesmaid but Autumn is the flower girl. I know Hannah said they are having one niece and nephew from each side, so I wonder which Duggar girl will be the other flower girl. 

Okay this is a fun one for side bets. I’ll go with Ivy Jane Seewald and Gideon Forsyth for the ring bearer.

• Upvote 4

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic