IGNORED

Meghan and Harry 7: Recollections May Vary

Coconut Flan

They probably wanted, expected apologies and amends for the way they were supposedly treated and”Oh, please come back! We need you to save us1!1” in not so many words.  When William and Charles were not suitably contrite they or Her probably were Shocked and angry Because  You know they can’t recognize anything as even a small bit their fault. 

On 8/8/2021 at 3:04 PM, louisa05 said:

People love to say this. But in my experience, when the shit hits the fan, it's actual family that is there. The "friends who are family" just aren't. When a close relative dies, the "friends who are family" don't feel that loss the way your actual family does. And if it isn't convenient to be there, they aren't there. When there's a lot of distance, real family is more committed to bridging it and staying close. Friends are often seasonal and those relationships don't always stay close. Family is not usually that way.

I think it depends on the people. In my personal experience, I disagree. I have a best friend who isn’t blood related but she is family. We have been there for each other through thick and thin. I’m closer to her and her children than she is to the rest of her family. I’m emergency contact, not her family. So it can all really depend on the people and the situations. 

5 hours ago, DalmatianCat said:

I know there’s some thought that Harry intentionally let the phone call leak, but I wonder if Harry was just so used to his loyal friend group and protected so well from casual conversations with journalists, that he was unable to distinguish between an off-the-record (in his mind) conversation with a journalist that he considered a “friend” who was—in reality—just a smart journalist who was trying to get a story and was suprised and gratified that Harry was so willing to talk.

There haven’t been as many private family leaks since then, so maybe he’s realized that just because Meghan (or whoever) is telling him, “Oprah, Gayle, etc, is really friendly, we can talk with with them” that doesn’t mean they’re *actual* friends.

Tight-knit, loyal friends are hard to come by…I don’t think that’s all settled in for Harry yet. 

I think Harry is very much used to people doing things behind the scenes for him. He speaks to people without thinking because they’ve either been told beforehand what’s private and what isn’t, or there is someone to sweep up his mess behind him. Now he’s on his own (his PR team have proven to be useless) and it’s showing. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

Mostly I think Thomas Markle (Meghan’s father) should keep his mouth shut,  but in a recent interview (GB News —Thursday, August 12), he pointed out the inconsistency of Meghan telling him not to talk to the press and then doing the Oprah interview.  I have to agree with the man.

One of the things Markle has said a couple of times is that Meghan keeps telling lies.  It struck me that the “break” between Meghan and her father happened precisely because Markle was not only “talking” to the press but collaborating on some fake pictures. (In other words, lying.)  It is interesting to me that Meghan’s lies often seem to have the goal of making herself more interesting.  (Claiming they’d got married privately before the wedding, for example.)  Her father’s staged pictures were the same sort of thing.

It is a shame they are estranged because the apple hasn’t fallen that far from the tree. 😉

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

11 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Mostly I think Thomas Markle (Meghan’s father) should keep his mouth shut,  but in a recent interview (GB News —Thursday, August 12), he pointed out the inconsistency of Meghan telling him not to talk to the press and then doing the Oprah interview.  I have to agree with the man.

One of the things Markle has said a couple of times is that Meghan keeps telling lies.  It struck me that the “break” between Meghan and her father happened precisely because Markle was not only “talking” to the press but collaborating on some fake pictures. (In other words, lying.)  It is interesting to me that Meghan’s lies often seem to have the goal of making herself more interesting.  (Claiming they’d got married privately before the wedding, for example.)  Her father’s staged pictures were the same sort of thing.

It is a shame they are estranged because the apple hasn’t fallen that far from the tree. 😉

I noticed that he did another interview (again) and pointed that inconsistency out.   As much as I dislike the guy over continually criticizing his daughter and son-in-law publicly, I had to admit that this time he had a point. 

At first, I had some sympathy for him because it seemed to me he did the staged pictures out of pressure and stress.   Fair enough, if he had stopped talking to the media right then and there.  But in subsequent interviews, he made the rather inconsistent admission that H and M advised him not to the talk to the press.   After the Oprah interview (which I thought was a bad idea btw), I was just waiting for Dad to point the inconsistency between H and M's advice and their own actions and, sure enough, he did.

The more ALL of them talk...Harry, Meghan, Dad....the more I think they have a lot more in common than they realize. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

More comments on the blabbering Markles, this time from a “royal expert”speaking on the Daily Mirror’s “Palace Confidential” as reported on Showbiz Cheatsheet (Aug. 14): 

Royal expert Sarah Vine believes [Meghan’s brother’s] comments could be giving Meghan “a taste of her own medicine,” especially after Meghan publicly criticized the royal family with her explosive Oprah Winfrey interview.

When asked if Vine had sympathy for Meghan on the Daily Mail’s show Palace Confidential, Vine said, “No, I think she’s about to find out what it feels like to have someone cash in on your family, which is what the Queen has been dealing with for the last 18 months.”

“She and Harry have been cashing in on the Royal Family, by cashing in on all sorts of Netflix deals and giving interviews to people and saying dreadful things,” Vine continued. “So, you know, it’s a taste of her own medicine, I reckon.”

Additionally, Vine said that it will be a while before Meghan’s family members “disappear” because “there’s a lot of money to be made.”

“They may not make the millions that Harry and Meghan are making, but they’ll make a few bucks, and that’ll make their lives materially better, so why wouldn’t they?” Vine commented.

• Upvote 1

There’s a huge difference between Meghan speaking about her experiences and Meghan’s family speaking for her. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, viii said:

There’s a huge difference between Meghan speaking about her experiences and Meghan’s family speaking for her. 

I don’t think her family is speaking “for” her.  They are speaking about her.  I think that they shouldn’t, but I also think that Meghan and Harry shouldn’t have spoken about the royal family.

• Upvote 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 3

10 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

I don’t think her family is speaking “for” her.  They are speaking about her.  I think that they shouldn’t, but I also think that Meghan and Harry shouldn’t have spoken about the royal family.

Harry and Meghan spoke about their experiences within the royal family. Meghan’s family (who largely have had nothing to do with her for years - her half siblings have never been raised with her) are speaking about what sort of person she is when they barely know her. World of difference. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

24 minutes ago, viii said:

Harry and Meghan spoke about their experiences within the royal family. Meghan’s family (who largely have had nothing to do with her for years - her half siblings have never been raised with her) are speaking about what sort of person she is when they barely know her. World of difference. 

When “reporting your own experiences” makes other people look bad, it is not that different.  The half-siblings may feel that the way they have interacted with Meghan in the past is “speaking their own experiences.” 😉

Seriously, I think the half-siblings are just “cashing in” on their sister’s story, and I condemn that.  

On the other hand, I think Harry and Meghan have framed their story at the expense of others, and I condemn that too.

The parallels (of speaking when you shouldn’t about family) are there, even if we agree that the half-siblings are “worse.”

• Upvote 10
  • Bless Your Heart 1

3 hours ago, viii said:

I agree in general. But H&M went further than just talking about themselves. The trapped Charles and Wiliam comment had nothing to do with them or their experience for example.
Her half-siblings use their bad/lack of relationship as starting point.

One could argue, M doesn’t know any of H’s family that well either by the way.

It‘s what happens when you are out in the public light. People use you for money. And everyone pays for dirt on you and not to find out you are really lovely. H&M slap their titles on everything because that is what makes them stand out. Thomas, Samantha and what‘s his name use their connection because that’s what makes them stand out. I think all of them need to seriously shut up and get interesting for themselves. 

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 1

Keep your eyes open all they are going to put their words into action per People magazine

"They're a couple who do very well in those moments of human interaction. They need to be on the ground," says Scobie, who wrote the book with fellow longtime royal reporter Carolyn Durand. "They say that the proof is in the pudding, and what we are about to see is that pudding."

https://people.com/royals/meghan-markle-prince-harry-thrive-chapter-new-era-of-visibility/

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

Keep your eyes open all they are going to put their words into action per People magazine

"They're a couple who do very well in those moments of human interaction. They need to be on the ground," says Scobie, who wrote the book with fellow longtime royal reporter Carolyn Durand. "They say that the proof is in the pudding, and what we are about to see is that pudding."

https://people.com/royals/meghan-markle-prince-harry-thrive-chapter-new-era-of-visibility/

They would have to commit to one thing for longer than five minutes. 

They're "statement" about current events is too much. That's the kind of overwrought prose you get from dramatic tenth graders who cry at the genius of their own words. Believe me, I know. I've taught plenty of tenth graders over the last 27 years. 

• Upvote 7
  • Bless Your Heart 1

8 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

. "They say that the proof is in the pudding, and what we are about to see is that pudding."

I wonder if that pudding ever shows up.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

14 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

I just love how they are talking about a “new era of visibility” as though they hadn’t been more than visible (and loud) for the past two years.  🙄

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

Related to the excerpt from the new version of Finding Freedom that People is publishing, the Daily Beast (yeah, I know …) reports: 

Tensions between Prince Harry and Meghan Markle and the royal family were ratcheted up today after friends of the couple were reported as saying the couple think the queen did not take “full ownership” of the bombshell allegation they made on their interview with Oprah Winfrey that they were asked racist questions about their children’s likely skin color.

….

The extract in People magazine reportedly sees authors Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand write: “The queen’s ‘recollections may vary’ comment did not go unnoticed by the couple, who, a close source said, were ‘not surprised’ that full ownership was not taken. ‘Months later and little accountability has been taken,’ a pal of Meghan added. ‘How can you move forward with that?’”

I can’t get over the fact that Meghan and her friends don’t see that what she did in the Oprah interview was not exactly conducive to “connecting” with the royals. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

What exactly is the queen to take ownership of when what Harry and Meghan did was seen by many in the royal family as a massive betrayal?  

They got what they said initially they wanted, not on their terms, but got out and still want to whine.  At some point, they need to realize they aren't going to get apologies and begging for relationships from people who on their side feel massively dumped on. 

• Upvote 15
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

What exactly is the queen to take ownership of when what Harry and Meghan did was seen by many in the royal family as a massive betrayal?  

They got what they said initially they wanted, not on their terms, but got out and still want to whine.  At some point, they need to realize they aren't going to get apologies and begging for relationships from people who on their side feel massively dumped on. 

I think the idea is that once Meghan said the word “racist” on international TV, the Palace should have made a public statement of apology to both Meghan and Harry, made Archie and future children princes, publicly apologized to the world for their racism, hired someone (preferably recommended by Meghan) to create (and publish) a review of racism at Buckingham palace, make Charles and William take a couple of courses in how not to be racist and      publicly thank Meghan for bringing the problem to their attention.

Or something like that.

Makes as much sense as Meghan’s father thinking his talking to the press about how his daughter is a liar, and threatening to sue to see his grandchildrenis going to make him and Meghan close again.  [need headshake emoji] 🙄

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 3

8 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

I think the idea is that once Meghan said the word “racist” on international TV, the Palace should have made a public statement of apology to both Meghan and Harry, made Archie and future children princes, publicly apologized to the world for their racism, hired someone (preferably recommended by Meghan) to create (and publish) a review of racism at Buckingham palace, make Charles and William take a couple of courses in how not to be racist and      publicly thank Meghan for bringing the problem to their attention.

Or something like that.

Makes as much sense as Meghan’s father thinking his talking to the press about how his daughter is a liar, and threatening to sue to see his grandchildrenis going to make him and Meghan close again.  [need headshake emoji] 🙄

You forgot moving Harry up in the line of succession and restoring their allowance. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, louisa05 said:

You forgot moving Harry up in the line of succession and restoring their allowance. 

😃😃😃

I don’t think she went as far as to think (or want) Harry to move up in the line of succession (nor does Harry want to be king). 

I do think they feel entitled to an allowance and were very angry when Charles “cut them off.”  So maybe they fantasized some source of royal income as they fluttered about representing the poor, downtrodden and emotionally distressed of the world. 🤷‍♀️

I don’t want to be too “bitchy” because Meghan did encounter resentment because of her race and “foreigness.” And I can understand that things got pretty hard for her. 

At the same time, I think the way they have been doing things is not conducive to their alleged goals of being understood and moving on.

Edited by EmCatlyn
Typos
  • Upvote 11
  • Love 1

On 8/19/2021 at 9:15 AM, Coconut Flan said:

When H&M first announced their intentions of "stepping away" I wasn't that surprised and thought it was an honest and brave thing to do.   While Harry had spoken of leaving the RF before he even met Meghan, taking the actual step of doing so had to have been difficult.   I have no doubt that things were hard for Meghan, the tabloids can be quite vicious .  And if you really wanted to read awful stuff, trying reading the comments sections.  

But now, I am not so sympathetic.    So some things didn't quite go as planned, some things didn't pan out (like Charles "cutting them off").  I get that this is new territory for them and missteps / miscalculations will happen.  But they got the separation they wanted, they aren't broke (far from it), they have their little family, they are safely ensconced in California.    Yes, the RF obviously has their issues like many other families, it's just more public but in any case, even legitimate gripes can do damage when it's spread far and wide.   And the most sympathetic people can lose patience when it just goes on and on.  

Edited by nokidsmom
Riffle
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

It’s a bit unclear what this update to Finding Freedom is. The whereabouts of the book are still muddy as to how much did they actually allow to slip through friends. As they haven’t sued it seems they like the narrative spun there and I think it can be safely assumed the made sure certain details went out even if they didn’t dictate them personally. 
They felt the need to remind everyone they ABSOLUTELY DIDNT COLLABORATE but as long as they don’t sue I guess the are fine with it (and I only bring up suing as they love to make sure accounts about them are “true” and respond to everything they don’t like). There is still a possibility the update is lots of bull. 
You would think H&M have realised by now that complaining publicly is not helping them with the family. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

I think Harry and Meghan's past hostility to the press kind of bites them in the rear here. They've previously admitted under oath that they cooperated with the authors. They're very happy to have their lawyers dash threatening letters off to the BBC and other outlets, even for reports that turn out to be pretty accurate. So if they've not shouting about suing the authors now, it's not likely to convince people that they didn't sanction this as well. 

But I don't think this chapter is really going to have the effect they might want it to. Even if recollections did not vary, I think most people would probably understand that the Queen was slightly preoccupied with her dying husband rather than rushing to assuage the Sussexes' feelings. Secondly, months after the interview, it reads less like "we're off living our best life!" and more like tagging an ex in a photo. 

• Upvote 15

6 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

It’s a bit unclear what this update to Finding Freedom is. The whereabouts of the book are still muddy as to how much did they actually allow to slip through friends. As they haven’t sued it seems they like the narrative spun there and I think it can be safely assumed the made sure certain details went out even if they didn’t dictate them personally. 
They felt the need to remind everyone they ABSOLUTELY DIDNT COLLABORATE but as long as they don’t sue I guess the are fine with it (and I only bring up suing as they love to make sure accounts about them are “true” and respond to everything they don’t like). There is still a possibility the update is lots of bull. 
You would think H&M have realised by now that complaining publicly is not helping them with the family. 

Every time I hear that Harry and Meghan didn’t collaborate with the authors of Finding Freedom, I remember that Diana claimed she had not collaborated with Andrew Morton. 😉

I have only read parts of the book, but everything I have read (or heard discussed) suggests that the authors are dispensing the narrative the Sussexes want to promote.

• Upvote 6

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic