IGNORED

Meghan and Harry 7: Recollections May Vary

Coconut Flan

9 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I read the original version and parts sounded as if Meghan had dictated them.  

They need to take a seat and be quiet:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9913301/Harrys-polo-trip.html

Thanks for the link.

I was struck that Harry is apparently still taking private jets when he can. 

Royal author Tom Quinn said after his latest private jet trip: 'This appears to be enormously hypocritical, given all his talk about climate change.

'Harry seems to see himself as someone who guides the rest of the world and that his own behaviour isn't relevant. It is a huge blind spot.'

Blind spot is right!   I still don’t understand why he should feel that he can “guide” the rest of the world in anything, but if he’s going to try it, he needs to walk the walk, not just talk the talk. 😉

And of course, Scobie is going to claim that the shade thrown at the Queen for not doing more about the “race” issue after the Oprah interview doesn’t come from M&H but from a “source.”   Right. 

… Mr Scobie and Carolyn Durand, … do not speak for the Sussexes and rely on unnamed sources.

Mr Scobie also tried to clarify the situation, tweeting: 'Back at this rodeo and, predictably, words are already being twisted. The comments made by a SOURCE (a detail some outlets have purposefully ignored) was about a lack of ownership from the royal institution as a whole. There's no 'attack' against the Queen anywhere in the book.' 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

I mean, they quoted the Queen's direct statement of "recollections may vary" as an example of the family not taking ownership. You may say that they had the right to feel that way, but it's difficult to see how that isn't making a jab at the Queen. 

They seem to be trying to have it as "the instution treated us with gross unfairness until we had no choice but to leave and have our say" but also "the woman who heads that institution is cuddly old Granny who we have such a special relationship with that we named our daughter after her personal nickname (ignore the reports we didn't get permission and Granny found it less than flattering)."

It's not the "Queen's evil staff/grey men/etc" opposing their claims - it's the Queen herself. So they really kind of do need to make up their minds about which line they want to stick with. 

Edited by Xanariel
  • Upvote 11
  • Love 3

On 7/4/2021 at 9:27 PM, tabitha2 said:

Takes some talent to make Princess Diana look like  Viggo  Mortensen.

A50E5318-14FC-4337-BF5A-3C86373378BD.jpeg

… who, if I may add, looks scrumptious in LOTR but only so so in real life and every other movie. That’s a total thread drift, sorry, but he should have totally kept on dressing and styling himself like Aragorn for the rest of his life 😂

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

… who, if I may add, looks scrumptious in LOTR but only so so in real life and every other movie. That’s a total thread drift, sorry, but he should have totally kept on dressing and styling himself like Aragorn for the rest of his life 😂

Well, to be fair, I looked a lot better 20 years ago too 😄

But you're right, he's never been as attractive as in the movies. Actually, even when he dressed as king, he already looked not as good than when he was still Strider. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

I had a good giggle over this rant by British TV presenter Mercy Muroki as reported on Fox News Online, so I thought I’d share. 😉

“Meghan and Harry say THEY want some privacy and space, but I’m starting to feel like it's us who need a bit of privacy and space from them.

"You turn on your TV, and there they are, doing their interviews in front of millions of people, so you flip to Netflix, and they are again with their multi-year, multi-million dollar deal. So, you switch that off – and think, well I’ll just relax with a nice podcast instead – and there they are again, being their weird and woke selves. So you think, well I’ll just have to switch off completely and read a book – they can’t get me there, too, surely! But alas, you step into Waterstones, reach for a book from the shelf, there they are again, with their kids book. And of course, their impending tell-all memoirs."

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, SweetJuly said:

Well, to be fair, I looked a lot better 20 years ago too 😄

But you're right, he's never been as attractive as in the movies. Actually, even when he dressed as king, he already looked not as good than when he was still Strider. 

I would agree with you more times if I could. The first scene he’s in at the Inn is peak Strider. 🔥

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

@EmCatlyn I mean, I get it that they want to keep their private life out of the tabloids but obviously promote their business and highlight their good deeds. But they blurred the lines themselves so often that it has become pretty clear they are happy with ventures into their private lives if the outcome is full of praise and flattering.

And while I also get that they need to take advantage of the hype to stay relevant and use it as a stepping stone, they made such a mess out of it it’s absolutely astonishing. They could have easily created output on their big contracts, create attention through charity stunts all while playing happy family with the BRF to secure royal engagements (christening, Balmoral, balcony…) - but no, they burn bridges, kicK and scream erratically and now, even many (ex-)fans would rather not hear anything from them for a long time again.

• Upvote 11

I would love to be a fly on their wall. I can just picture Harry thinking it's all going rather well and Meghan's just going 'shit, this is NOT what we intended'. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7

38 minutes ago, viii said:

I would love to be a fly on their wall. I can just picture Harry thinking it's all going rather well and Meghan's just going 'shit, this is NOT what we intended'. 

Why do you think Harry would think it’s all going well but Meghan doesn’t?   My own reading is that Harry is pretty much getting his cues from Meghan.  (If she thinks things are not turning out as she intended, so does he.)

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

This is from quite a few pages back but I’d like to say that Diana nostalgia is HUGE and super trendy right now amongst people who were not even born when she passed away. Rowing Blazers (a “cool” brand) is selling recreations of some sweaters Diana wore (I want one but they’re like $300!) and “memorial” merch is also very available. It’s kind of weird! But I like this trend better than super low rise jeans I guess. 

• WTF 1

In all fairness, Meghan has always come across a good bit more savvy and self-aware than Harry. A lot of their worst PR disasters seem to be led by him (excusing the private jets, the cemetery cosplay) and he's the one to directly attack the royals on television. Meghan is always pretty composed and deliberate in what she says. 

The trouble is, I think, that Meghan was not a massive celebrity in her own right (though undoubtedly more successful an actress than many of the budding stars who would have started out with her) before getting with Harry. So if they're relying on her insider knowledge to steer them as A-listers of a multimillion-dollar empire, there are likely to be a few teething problems. 

The other issue is that I kind of got the impression that Meghan viewed the royals as basically just mega-UK celebrities, and not that she was basically signing herself up to be the Second Lady (with all the restrictions that implies). So I think she may not understand why some things that celebrities can get away with get the Sussexes scorn (E.g. Kim Kardashian can show up dripping with diamonds, but Michelle Obama had to be really careful about her wardrobe even when she had designers clamouring to dress her). 

So as the Sussexes try to exist as quasi-entertainment moguls/royals, I'm not sure either of them are equipped to guide the other. 

• Upvote 11

Meghan is dumb like a fox. She lets her husband hang himself with his “deep thoughts” while she writes mediocre children’s books and plays the Dollar store Oprah for her leg humpers. 

I have similar thoughts to @Xanariel. Harry has always been more rash than Meghan, who comes across a lot more calculated. I also laugh when people think Meghan is this super savvy celebrity - she was a C list actress when she started dating Harry - their relationship is what catapulted her up into fame. 

It's a classic tale of the blind leading the blind. 

• Upvote 10

5 hours ago, Xanariel said:

and not that she was basically signing herself up to be the Second Lady (with all the restrictions that implies).

I agree, but she was actually the Fourth Lady (Queen, Camilla, Kate). So all the restrictions, with everyone watching her like hawks, and she also had to remember that she was not supposed to be at the top of the hierarchy.

• Upvote 8

17 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I agree, but she was actually the Fourth Lady (Queen, Camilla, Kate). So all the restrictions, with everyone watching her like hawks, and she also had to remember that she was not supposed to be at the top of the hierarchy.

I think she thought that hierarchy was flexible. The crowing about their successful tours (success is relative), having to be put in their place in line at the BP event for Charles’ investiture anniversary,  the fuss about the procession at Westminster Abbey, etc….I think she thought popularity and sheer demand could derail the order at least in practice if not in actual succession.  Someone needed to tell her from the outset that it wasn’t a homecoming election 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

But Harry knows this! It’s was the way of life  he was born into and raised in for his entire existence  FFS!   Even if he is not that bright he should have learned as a child who outranks whom and why and it’s not a pick and choose situation. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

I think she thought popularity and sheer demand could derail the order at least in practice if not in actual succession.  

I think Meghan was naïve/uneducated about a lot of things when it came to the BRF but she's still an intelligent woman. I highly doubt she EVER thought that due to their popularity, they could move in actual succession rank. 

16 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

But Harry knows this! It’s was the way of life  he was born into and raised in for his entire existence  FFS!   Even if he is not that bright he should have learned as a child who outranks whom and why and it’s not a pick and choose situation. 

It's very clear that Harry did not properly prepare Meghan for the life that she was about to enter. There's a lot of theories on why he didn't and why he downplayed a lot of things, but I personally believe that he was completely honest with Cressida and Chelsey, which is why both of them turned tail and ran the other direction. I think he was completely besotted with Meghan and was determined to make it work - hence why he didn't share some very pertinent details. 

If Harry had been 100% transparent with Meghan, I doubt they'd be married today. She never struck me as the social climber that Kate was. 

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, viii said:

There's a lot of theories on why he didn't and why he downplayed a lot of things, but I personally believe that he was completely honest with Cressida and Chelsey, which is why both of them turned tail and ran the other direction. I think he was completely besotted with Meghan and was determined to make it work - hence why he didn't share some very pertinent details. 

I don’t think he was more honest with Chelsy and Cressida…I just think Cressida had a better understanding of the Royal family by way of being British and having grown up in the UK. Chelsy dated Harry off and on for seven years. That was enough time for her to get a good picture of what life would be like no matter what Harry said. If Meghan dated Harry for seven years I think she would have either broken up with him also, or just had a better idea of what she was getting into. I think the speed at which they met, dated, got engaged, married, and began having children was a big contributing factor to their frustrations. If they’d dated even half as long as William and Kate it probably would have been much smoother sailing.

• Upvote 17

6 hours ago, viii said:

I think Meghan was naïve/uneducated about a lot of things when it came to the BRF but she's still an intelligent woman. I highly doubt she EVER thought that due to their popularity, they could move in actual succession rank. 

It's very clear that Harry did not properly prepare Meghan for the life that she was about to enter. There's a lot of theories on why he didn't and why he downplayed a lot of things, but I personally believe that he was completely honest with Cressida and Chelsey, which is why both of them turned tail and ran the other direction. I think he was completely besotted with Meghan and was determined to make it work - hence why he didn't share some very pertinent details. 

If Harry had been 100% transparent with Meghan, I doubt they'd be married today. She never struck me as the social climber that Kate was. 

In practice not actual succession—as in she thought that popularity would allow them to walk in front of or beside Will and Kate, have access to/be included in events/photo ops, etc…that have traditionally only included direct heirs and not younger siblings, gain positions/patronages typically given to direct heirs and the like.  

• Upvote 7

8 hours ago, viii said:

8 hours ago, viii said:

It's very clear that Harry did not properly prepare Meghan for the life that she was about to enter. There's a lot of theories on why he didn't and why he downplayed a lot of things, but I personally believe that he was completely honest with Cressida and Chelsey, which is why both of them turned tail and ran the other direction. 

I actually believe Chelsy and Cressida both bailed because they realised what a dumb, spoilt, entitled, delusional man-child with anger management issues Harry is.

Edited by SweetJuly
Fixed autocorrect for Chelsy's name
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, louisa05 said:

have access to/be included in events/photo ops, etc…that have traditionally only included direct heirs and not younger siblings, gain positions/patronages typically given to direct heirs and the like.  

The photos of the queen and future kings seemed to really wind them up along with the photo series at Christmas of the previous monarch and the future families also got on their nerves.  That has to be something you expect to see from time to time one would think.

• Upvote 6

43 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

The photos of the queen and future kings seemed to really wind them up along with the photo series at Christmas of the previous monarch and the future families also got on their nerves.  That has to be something you expect to see from time to time one would think.

Those formal photos of the monarch with future monarchs exist all the way back to Victoria and her heirs. And they apparently pitched a fit over the most recent one of the Queen with Charles, William and George. So petty. 

Edited by louisa05
  • Upvote 5

I do think that the speed of their romance was a massive factor in Meghan's cluelessness about the BRF. By the time Kate walked up the aisle, I think she had a damn good idea of what she was getting herself into. If Meghan had even lived a year in the UK before becoming a Duchess, I think she'd have been far more prepared (especially as I'm pretty sure she became homesick very quickly, which was entirely understandable). By all accounts, she deliberately ignored any warnings from her friends, so she's not entirely blameless, but Harry was the one bringing her in and I do think it was on him to make sure she went into it with open eyes. 

Mind you, given the rumours about Cressida's time with him - he was obsessed with the idea of there being paps even when there were clearly none, he was too cheap to pay for her to fly out to a wedding when he intended to spend most of the time larking with friends while she hung around for him, and she had serious doubts about their ability to have a functional marriage due to them both having unstable families - I wonder if the shine would have worn off charming Harry himself with a longer wait. 

• Upvote 11

5 hours ago, viii said:

Yes, there is little doubt Harry & Meghan rushed into things. 

So much truth here. In less than two years, she gave up a job, moved to a different country, got married, took on a new and very public job, and had a baby. Anyone would end up overwhelmed. Blaming her stress completely on Harry's family was a bit ridiculous considering all of that. I don't doubt that the stress of so much change so quickly made it difficult to establish good dynamics with his family. And I don't doubt that some of them may be difficult. But that's how families are. FFS, my sister-in-law tried to get the priest to cancel my wedding. Difficult in-laws aren't unique to the BRF. Handling that in combination with the massive changes in her life in a short time was probably very stressful. But blaming the family for everything isn't productive and I don't think it has allowed either one of them to deal with their real issues. 

• Upvote 17

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic