IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin Lara 16: Remnant after Gwen [Gwen and other RF leaders dead in plane crash]

Destiny

1 hour ago, Perrierwithlemon said:

One of my favorite YouTubers, Dr. Grande, has a video on Gwen! 

“...I’m not diagnosing anybody in this video. Only speculating about what could be happening in a situation like this...”

How did I not see this?  I need to stop watching nonsense so he isn't bounced off my recommended videos....thanks for posting, can't wait to watch when I can.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3
  • Love 3

15 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I can’t stand woacb. I take anything she says with a grain of salt. She publishes gossip like it’s a fact. This whole story could be true. But I still side eye everything she says. 

Just FYI there is some corroborating evidence - on Facebook prior to the crash an organization devoted to helping people get out of cults made a post about it where they implied that several people had reached out about it, presumably in the context of the potential of many people needing help separating from the cult.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 10

1 minute ago, mghjuno said:

Just FYI there is some corroborating evidence - on Facebook prior to the crash an organization devoted to helping people get out of cults made a post about it where they implied that several people had reached out about it, presumably in the context of the potential of many people needing help separating from the cult.

Do you know which organization it was?  And was this on the RF FB page?  

• Upvote 5

19 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I am sure the die hardship will never admit to be taken for a fool, especially if they already believe in trump conspiracies. Between the supposed secret service and the mags rally, this might just cut out the Democrats and progressive/liberal members.

I wonder how deep RF leadership is with the Trump crazy train.  The rally in Stuart FL seemed to be pretty fringy.

Are they just into the angry stolen election theme, or are they expecting Trump to be reinstated soon?

It can get pretty weird.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

Slightly off topic, but is that documentary production crew still hanging around FJ? I imagine if they're still doing the documentary on Gwen and RF this just made it a lot more interesting. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

3 hours ago, Destiny said:

There are some but they are old. Based on the makeup, I'd say early '00s or late '90s or so. Of course, Gwen hardly followed normal makeup trends so that may be off too. I share the curiosity of how she managed to get it to stay. I can never get my hair to do a damn thing I want it to for more than about 20 minutes, and somehow she managed to get that to stay? Honestly, that has to be some sort of miracle!

I will say I was once able to achieve this look by falling off a ladder sideways while holding a can of oil based wood finish which dumped neatly on my head.  I alternated that look with Candy style head coverings for weeks afterward.

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 15

1 hour ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Didn't Oral Roberts have a kid who went into the ministry? And Jim Bakker's son Jay is/was a hipster urban pastor. But he was trying to be an ordinary old pastor, not a televangelist.

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Jay Bakker is like the opposite of his dad. He’s a progressive christian while his dad is just the opposite.

Jay also at one time was the singer in a Social Distortion cover band. Saw them play once, it wasn't bad!

Obligatory "sympathy and thoughts to the family and children of those who died" said, I'm glad I'm not the only one having morbid thoughts about this mess.

Spoiler

Like Gwen's wig floating up to the top of the lake, and whether she had enough body fat to float at all, or would her platform shoes weigh her down. 

I'm also going to have popcorn at the ready to see what happens in the next several months over at Remnant. Huge "state" funeral? Giant fancy tomb? Who will take the reins?

I'm thinking Elizabeth, because she is just as skeletal as Gwen was. I think if Michael took over the whole anorexia thing might fade, and since it seems the main focus of the "church" was a combo of "don't eat" and "do what Gwen says", that might be enough to wake some people up. 

Honestly this whole "church" has always reminded me of an old episode of 21 Jump Street when one of the Delouise brothers' characters infiltrated a cult and then had to be deprogrammed out - part of the cult's control was limiting food and the older brother was trying to get him to eat a cheeseburger. I hope there are a lot of people at Remnant who, once over the initial shock, ate a real meal and started thinking hard for themselves. 

• Upvote 15

18 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I would like to know what org is helping folks get out of cults as well. 

• Upvote 4

54 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I am sure the die hardship will never admit to be taken for a fool, especially if they already believe in trump conspiracies. 

I thought "die hardship" was a clever pun on "Fellowship"... 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Willow said:

I don't know the Insta person cited, but I heard the same info independently from multiple people close to RF. There was a "secret" meeting. No phones/cameras allowed. The Insta post captures the "racism ain't real" message well. And less than a week later, one of the RF "deacons" was on Biden's FB page saying Biden had stolen the election. There used to be space in RF for Dems. Aside from "I don't see how anyone can stay" comments, I don't see how any Democrat can stay. (And yes, there are still Dems in RF. Check people's FB statuses from during the 2016 and 2020 elections.)

Can confirm there was a secret meeting. All out of towners had to get off webcast. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 10

4 minutes ago, Willow said:

I thought "die hardship" was a clever pun on "Fellowship"... 

totally on accident! ?

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

tower of terror

Heh!

Showed hairstyle to the gal who does my hair. Her analysis: Many extensions, much gel and more spray, and probably a Bump-it kind of thing.  

Fun fact: What we now call Bump-its were once made of human hair formed into a fat oblong and referred to as a “rat.”

[Source: My grandmother, born 1880. Her daughter -in-law (BMJB) had asked her how ladies of Grandma’s youth had been able to style their hair in the bouffant “Gibson girl” look.]

This may be the origin of the alternate verb for backcombing or  “teasing” the hair: “ratting” it.

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 14
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

52 minutes ago, mghjuno said:

Which is likely where Crystal Ball got the info. That is her style. She pokes around and grabs bits and pieces from various fundie sources and put them together like it is news.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 3

3 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

Fun fact: What we now call Bump-its were once made of human hair formed into a fat oblong and referred to as a “rat.” 

Ugh. That’s going to haunt my dreams now too. *shudder.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, fundiewatch said:

Has anyone seen The Leftovers? The Guilty Remnant is a cult that forms after a ton of people rapture. They dress all in white and chain smoke, and don’t talk. I’m a novice re: Gwen (ED survivor, her face is triggering) but Remnant Fellowship seems as insane as The Guilty Remnant. 

RF is likely light years beyond a Hollywood depiction of cultic surreality. The plain truth about RF is something I've had to grapple with for almost 20 years.  

I have heard a lot about the show, have never watched it. But it has an absolutely ineffable soundtrack by Max Richter that I listen to often as I work. Almost anything he writes soars from my Bose speakers as I think, pray and write.

The deep significance of the music to me applies to my personal heartache as well as the tragedies of Remnant and other cultic outrages whose victims I am all too often trying to bring hope to.

I go by the account name Media Fury in the comments about what it means to me personally if you care to read them. 

But the music does remind me also of the train wreck of misery there in Franklin, as well as Max' equally seminal "On The Nature Of Daylight."

This woman could be a Remnant member, or any cult member, who just got a message from God via their leader that they are excommunicated. Or some other oracular condemnation.  Sad that the actress doing this is a Scientologist and may have been working out some engrams that way. But it's a beautiful, melancholic piece .. and at 5:58 is the face of a survivor determining they will survive.

Edited by Pathologic Antagonist
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

12 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

Heh!

Showed hairstyle to the gal who does my hair. Her analysis: Many extensions, much gel and more spray, and probably a Bump-it kind of thing.  

[Source: My grandmother, born 1880. Her daughter -in-law (BMJB) had asked her how ladies of Grandma’s youth had been able to style their hair in the bouffant “Gibson girl” look.]

This may be the origin of the alternate verb for backcombing or  “teasing” the hair: “ratting” it.

I’ve heard of those. You were supposed to use your own hair if possible so if it was accidentally seen, it could match your head hair. So you kept all the hair that fell out when you brushed it. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 9
  • Thank You 2

Thank you for your insights, @AirBeagle!! I’m back on page 4 (as I never venture to this area of the board). But I’ve been interested in the crash because my dad’s favorite show is Airplane Disasters. He had a private pilot’s license before I was born and nearly crashed, so my mom banned him from flying. He watches the show to remind himself of how easily things can go wrong. His take on this crash is similar to yours (though I haven’t discussed it with him in depth). He thinks the Lara’s bought a plane with too much power for Tarzan to handle. Too much hubris. 

I’m not sure if it’s been discussed yet since I’m still behind, but if he had rented a plane instead the owner would have been responsible for ensuring that there are pilots on board that are legally allowed to fly. Owning the plane themselves gets them around pesky things like safety rules. Owners are also responsible for maintenance and up keep, and we have no idea how they kept up their plane. This crash was easily avoidable - if they weren’t so busy trying to stick it to the government.

Edit: Removing long to Todd Grande video as it’s already been posted 

Edited by HarryPotterFan
  • Upvote 12

It appears the SAR efforts at the lake are rapidly winding down after yesterday with the removal of the larger debris and additional remains.

The boat ramp area is opened again and only the Fate Sanders Rec Area is closed to the public now.

Everything that Rutherford County has said over the past 36 hours or so seems to indicate it's extremely unlikely they'll hold another presser, and anything further will come from the NTSB.

And the NTSB has said preliminary info will probably be 2 weeks out at the earliest, but that due to it being a water recovery it could be even longer before they update.

If anything worth updating about comes out before, I'll include it, but I'll keep my eyes especially out for a possible NTSB release or presser of any sort to transcribe and post here in a few weeks.

According to NTSB officials, the preliminary investigation could take up to 14 days, and the entire investigation could take up to 18-24 months.

“We release information in a very specific format at specific times,” said NTSB media relations representative Eric Weiss. “Water recoveries are more difficult, so patience is appreciated as it may take some time to release updates.”

https://www.facebook.com/Rutherfordcountyfirerescue/posts/3951217918294823?__cft__[0]=AZWsaU65RK1y98k1XZPGdg7Ty53MLcvTQPiWiG3mQ-YIRsNiXP5IVEEo_TLQaCTCeDraDtzAzK2zqBIrvCN88zxVdgljn2pzD3zbEPWJj7PoSUXPov53XqsYleDfv6yldHY4EtKQ6Gzce_22U9pDoLdg&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R

Edited by jakesykora
include the other RC link
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 20

10 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’ve heard of those. You were supposed to use your own hair if possible so if it was accidentally seen, it could match your head hair. So you kept all the hair that fell out when you brushed it. 

Hence the description, in I Remember Mama, of the vanity set (made of genuine celluloid!) that included a "hair receiver." /movie geek.

http://reelsf.com/reelsf/2015/8/29/i-remember-mama-katrins-graduation-gift

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

How did I not see this?  I need to stop watching nonsense so he isn't bounced off my recommended videos....thanks for posting, can't wait to watch when I can.

Ok, I better get some tea because I somehow missed this too and I’m his fan. 

• Upvote 3

My thoughts keep going back to the children who have lost their parent/parents.  Everyone around them is facing enormous shock and grief.  Just making it through one minute to the next must be overwhelmingly painful.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

3 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I’m pretty sure she viewed jogging as a sin. Even when she was outdoors, in the woods, on an ATV she tottered about in high heeled boots. 

I bet Gwen never even used that big pool at her house. 

They got into some outdoorsy places in the videos and it looked like it was just for show since she was never dressed like she could do anything  on an uneven terrain.

From the devotionals, she was not quite crazy enough to deny that exercise can have health benefits but it was usually portrayed as something that good Christians who don't eat can and are happy to avoid. Exercise was described as part of the slavery that Gwen could free you from and she seemed pretty proud that she was thin without exercising. 

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

Hence the description, in I Remember Mama, of the vanity set (made of genuine celluloid!) that included a "hair receiver." /movie geek.

http://reelsf.com/reelsf/2015/8/29/i-remember-mama-katrins-graduation-gift

I love that movie. My husband’s and my favorite character is Uncle Elizabeth. The cat who comes back from the dead. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

It’s called The Beyond Zion Foundation on Facebook. Someone in the insta thread mentioned that this group(person?) had posted about the secret church service & what was said, & I went digging & found it by searching that name on Facebook. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 8
  • Love 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic