IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin Lara 16: Remnant after Gwen [Gwen and other RF leaders dead in plane crash]

Destiny

I apologize for backtracking and/or asking a question that's already been answered. (I did read through the entire thread but couldn't find what I'm looking for.) What's the story on the wedding? Who was supposed to attend and backed out to go to the MAGA rally? Where can I read more about that?

Thanks!

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, ManyGoats said:

I apologize for backtracking and/or asking a question that's already been answered. (I did read through the entire thread but couldn't find what I'm looking for.) What's the story on the wedding? Who was supposed to attend and backed out to go to the MAGA rally? Where can I read more about that?

Thanks!

I can't answer your question but your username, pic, and current post title is hilarious and makes me want to reread Heidi.  :) 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 17
  • I Agree 1

2 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Seems to me that Michael & Elizabeth can't hold a candle to their late mother when it comes to the ruthlessness needed to hold on to the money & the power. 

I’m trying to think of children of other ministries who successfully followed in their parent’s footsteps.  Falwell?  Phillips?  Sproul?  From what I’ve seen, Elizabeth and Michael may not have the drive and charisma.  Maybe Michael’s wife (Erin?).  The continuation of RF will be of interest to me over the next few years. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5

15 minutes ago, ManyGoats said:

Thanks!

I could be wrong, but I think David Martin was the one originally supposed to officiate the wedding. But he seems to have decided to go to a MAGA rally with Gwen instead .

I feel sorry for the bride and groom because now their anniversary is always going to be associated with the death of their cult leader. 

7 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

Elizabeth and Michael may not have the drive and charisma.

The little I’ve seen of Elizabeth she doesn’t seem to have the cult leader personality. And I still get second hand embarrassment thinking of Michael’s music videos and that one time he attempted to star in a musical. 
Of the relatives Erin is the best bet for being able to pull off running a cult. 

ETA: Not a musical, Michael created a viewsical!

Edited by formergothardite
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 5

13 minutes ago, ManyGoats said:

Thanks!

If I remember correctly, David Martin was supposed to officiate the wedding that happened on Saturday and ended up going, well, attempting to go, to the MAGA rally instead. It's somewhere in the prior thread but I honestly don't remember where. 

Whoops, just saw @formergothardite was faster. 

Edited by Destiny
more words
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

6 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

I’m trying to think of children of other ministries who successfully followed in their parent’s footsteps.  Falwell?  Phillips?  Sproul?

The Jerry Falwell, Jr. & RC Sproul, Jr. have only failed spectacularly although I guess Jonathan Falwell is doing OK.

Re: the Phillips family. DPIART's kids seem to be going their own ways and those ways don't appear to include ministries, which is a very healthy thing. 

• Upvote 17

13 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

I’m trying to think of children of other ministries who successfully followed in their parent’s footsteps.  Falwell?  Phillips?  Sproul?  From what I’ve seen, Elizabeth and Michael may not have the drive and charisma.  Maybe Michael’s wife (Erin?).  The continuation of RF will be of interest to me over the next few years. 

Franklin Graham

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, Destiny said:

Also, I haven't had the time to further my plans for a major server upgrade, and I've got some major stuff coming up that mean I won't have the time for at least a month

May Rufus bless you going ahead. Upgrades in my IT experience sometimes end up appearing to require chicken sacrifice for success. Even more so going to Web compared to Windows/5250. At least my company experience. Thank goodness for overtime charges. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 4

25 minutes ago, WeirdHarold said:

Franklin Graham

He may be awful, but he can get religious folks to hand over money! He has kept that whole ministry going. He also seems to be good at controlling his image. 

One of the Patch the Pirate kids has taken that strange ministry over. I guess she is as successful as one can be with something like that.

One of the Bob Jones grandsons was doing pretty good following the family footsteps until he became extremely ill and couldn't work anymore. 

• Upvote 9

Gothard really fucked up by not getting married and creating a bunch of mini-Gothards to control the group when he got old and people realized he’s a pervert. But I’m sure glad he never got married! 

• Upvote 18
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

Can I ask a favor? As I've said before, I don't follow this particular mess. People keep mentioning Gwen's daughter Elizabeth. Can someone post a picture of her please? Thank you. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

Can I ask a favor? As I've said before, I don't follow this particular mess. People keep mentioning Gwen's daughter Elizabeth. Can someone post a picture of her please? Thank you. 

Here are a whole bunch! https://www.google.com/search?q=elizabeth+shamblin+hannah&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjtsL7bmfXwAhUV5J4KHZ0-ADkQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1366&bih=598

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

@ManyGoats, I love your avatar, too! We had to give up our goaties a couple of years ago when my oldest daughter’s health took a turn for the worse, and we really miss them. They’re so awesome!

• Love 8

Not that there was any doubt, but newest update says they can verify there were four male victims and three female.

Screenshot_20210531-195224.png

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 12

33 minutes ago, bloopbloopdoop said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPjfnRzM4KS/?utm_medium=copy_link

woacb says this...

Btw, does anybody know if the church always streams the Saturday and Wednesday services? I'm intrigued to see what will happen on Wednesday.

I can’t stand woacb. I take anything she says with a grain of salt. She publishes gossip like it’s a fact. This whole story could be true. But I still side eye everything she says. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 3

I think it's possible the cult will fold, but it's also possible someone else will emerge as a leader and take over. Right now Elizabeth and Michael are heirs, but someone may be a better fit.

This quote from Mormon prophet Joseph Smith's Wikipedia page explains how Brigham Young took over after Smith died.

After the death of the Smiths, a succession crisis occurred in the Latter Day Saint movement. Hyrum Smith, the Assistant President of the Church, was intended to succeed Joseph as President of the Church,[43] but because he was killed with his brother, the proper succession procedure became unclear.

Initially, the primary contenders to succeed Smith were Sidney Rigdon, Brigham Young, and James Strang. Rigdon was the senior surviving member of the First Presidency, a body that had led the movement since 1832. At the time of the Smiths' deaths, he was estranged from Smith due to differences in doctrinal beliefs. Young, president of the Quorum of the Twelve, claimed authority was handed by Smith to the Quorum. Strang claimed that Smith designated him as the successor in a letter that was received a week before Smith's death. Later, others came to believe that Smith's son, Joseph Smith III, was the rightful successor under the doctrine of lineal succession.

A schism resulted, with each claimant attracting followers. The majority of Latter Day Saints followed Young; these adherents later emigrated to what became Utah Territory and continued as the LDS Church. Rigdon's followers were known as Rigdonites, some of which later established The Church of Jesus Christ (Bickertonite). Strang's followers established the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Strangite). In the 1860s, those who felt that Smith should have been succeeded by Joseph Smith III established the RLDS Church, which later changed its name to the Community of Christ.

A key factor to whether the church continues might be if Elizabeth remarries. If she marries a man who wants to be a cult leader, that might keep the cult going as well.

• Upvote 8
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank You 2

11 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I can’t stand woacb. I take anything she says with a grain of salt. She publishes gossip like it’s a fact. This whole story could be true. But I still side eye everything she says. 

Pretty much this. If true, it is interesting that there’s a fracture happening, but frankly if woacb said the sky was blue I’d be looking for more confirmation. She’s been caught in too many lies. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

I’m trying to think of children of other ministries who successfully followed in their parent’s footsteps.  

Paul and Laurie Crouch

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

@jasmar, is that one of your goats in your avatar? I live not that far from the Carl Sandberg Home in Flat Rock, NC and it's a nice place to visit occasionally.  There is the house tour and then there are the goats! I think the last time I was up there,  a doe was birthing a kid.  That was very cool!  

• Upvote 6

@Cam, regarding wedding dresses for women in their 60s, here’s a pic of one of my friends at her second wedding, after having been a divorced mom for many years. She looked lovely!

Spoiler

318ECEEA-A0FC-498E-8B79-2B3C583F690F.jpeg

• Upvote 9
  • Love 7

31 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Thank you. I've never heard of her so I wasn't sure how credible she was. I appreciate everyone letting us know that her word may not be fully true.

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, Blue said:

Thank you. I've never heard of her so I wasn't sure how credible she was. I appreciate everyone letting us know that her word may not be fully true.

That’s why I hate it when people like her post gossip that isn’t true as if it’s fact. Because then when she does actually post something true, I don’t believe her. It’s like The National Enquirer. I swear that rag was right sometimes! But I never believed it because they lied so much. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

The Tennessean is reporting RF “reportedly has more than 1,500 members in 150 congregations around the world”. It doesn’t sound that big. Since the Tennessean also reports  “According to the Federal Aviation Administration website, no one on the flight was qualified to fly the plane. Joe Lara, 58, had a pilot's license but had not updated his medical certification since 2017. The medical certification is required every two years.”  I can see all money going to settle wrongful death lawsuits. I don’t see much of a future for the cult. 

The plane was built in 1982. No one on board qualified to fly it. Was Joe on drugs? I finding it exceedingly arrogant of him to so callously and cavalierly allow himself to be entrusted with the lives of the other six on board, Surely they had no clue he was inept. 

Considered a cult, not a ministry, but Warren Jeffs took over the FDLS when his father Rulon died. 

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic