IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin Lara 16: Remnant after Gwen [Gwen and other RF leaders dead in plane crash]

Destiny

5 minutes ago, Cam said:

The plane was built in 1982. No one on board qualified to fly it. Was Joe on drugs? I finding it exceedingly arrogant of him to so callously and cavalierly allow himself to be entrusted with the lives of the other six on board, Surely they had no clue he was inept. 

I'll be interested to hear what the NTSB says is the cause. Obviously Joe wasnt legally certified, but unless a medical issue caused him to crash, I'm just considering that irresponsibility and probably the arrogance that came with his newfound wealth. If I have a class A DL that I let lapse, I'm not legal to drive a semi anymore, but it's not like I become physically incapable the day it expires. 

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 7

1 hour ago, bloopbloopdoop said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPjfnRzM4KS/?utm_medium=copy_link

woacb says this...

Btw, does anybody know if the church always streams the Saturday and Wednesday services? I'm intrigued to see what will happen on Wednesday.

Yes, they normally do.  A recent one was not streamed.  It had something to do with being a constitutionalist.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, WeirdHarold said:

It had something to do with being a constitutionalist.

wow, I suppose the source on Joe Lara was credible then...

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, throwaway9988 said:

And let's not forget how Tarzan wormed his way in ?

How DID that happen? How did an actor, probably based on a coast, glom onto a mid-South churchianity personality?  I’ve always been curious about it! 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

They just announced that they have recovered all 7 bodies on the news tonight. No more headlines saying that they are "presumed dead".

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 16

Someone above questioned why I said Mr. Lara is an idiot as he was an experienced pilot. Well there are a lot of experienced people in lots of fields that are idiots. The evidence of MR. Lara falling into that category are many.

1) He married an obvious psychopath. Here is a guy that had a great career acting in around 40 movies / TV shows and he picks Gwen ?  ?

2) He was the ONLY crew member according to the FFA. There is a second seat up there for a reason, and even where not legally mandated most avail themselves of the option when you have 7 souls on board. 

3) When your medical has expired you NO LONGER HAVE A LICENSE TO FLY. Mr. Lara was committing a criminal offense , literally a federal crime that carries significant prison time. 

I'm guessing the company will be liquidated. The families will sue on behalf of the minor children. Wouldn't surprise me if Mr. Shamblin sued on behalf of the grandchildren. 

Amazing the cult psychopaths that go out in a plane crash. 

FROM another posting :

FAA documents raise questions about pilot's license

According to the Federal Aviation Administration website, no one on that flight was qualified to fly the plane. Joe Lara, 58, had a pilot's license, but had not updated his medical certification since 2017. The medical certification is required every two years.

Brandon Hannah, another church leader with a pilot license, was on the flight, but he didn't have a certification for the Cessna 500 series, according to the FAA database.

A recording of the communication between the control tower and the pilot, captured on LiveATC.com (ATC stands for Air Traffic Control), revealed an alarm going off in the cockpit of the plane seconds before it crashed, suggesting a mechanical failure in the aircraft, which was built in 1982.

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 6
  • Love 1

@Cam,  you mentioned the size of the "church".  1500 members may sound like a lot of members, but those members are spread over 150 congregations for an average of 10 members per congregation.  

• Upvote 16

15 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

“His dietician wife” gave me an ironic vibe. If only that were the sum of it.

Then, “who founded a weight-loss church.”  Oh, my. Leave it to the BBC to present a whole new angle - where the death of the TV actor leads, and the tragedy of a cult is ... dismissed? ... in under a dozen words. 

I say this not to criticize the BBC but to reflect on how “news” gets defined in different places, cultures, corporations. 

That is all.

Still heartsick for the orphaned children. And for all the children whose lives are mangled by cults. 

It's probably the same reporting here, and for the same reason - "Tarzan" was on TV, whereas WeighDown and RF and unheard of. Yes RF has at least one member in Melbourne (I'm still surprised) but to the broader society Gwen and her cult are non-existent.

15 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

@MamaJunebug yeah, I’m guessing it’s probably because more people will have heard of Joe Lara than Gwen Shamblin, at least in an international context. If people decided to google her name they’d find a lot of info. 

Most won't though - unless they see the photo of them together and wonder what on earth she's dressed like that for.

13 hours ago, FiveAcres said:

The Friendly Atheist covers the crash.

https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/2021/05/31/gwen-shamblin-lara-a-diet-guru-who-led-a-christian-cult-died-in-a-plane-crash/

New to me from the article:

Shamblin may have been best known for her admission that she formed her views on dieting by looking at pictures of Jews during the Holocaust. She once told CNN’s Larry King, “How in the Holocaust did you have all these people getting down real skinny? They ate less food.” She elaborated to a reporter in an article published in the New Yorker: “What person genetically predisposed to obesity was in there, out of the millions and millions that died? When they ate less food, they became emaciated.”

The more I find out about her, the uglier she becomes. 

Unfortunately she's not the only dietician I've encountered who uses that as an example.

5 hours ago, throwaway9988 said:

I definitely think it's possible for the right person to fake it. The Days became leaders in Remnant after I quit, and apparently he is a CEO of a company that is just one giant pyramid scheme/MLM, so grifters definitely can definitely pass Gwen's muster.  And let's not forget how Tarzan wormed his way in ?

Minimal belief, maximum interest in control (and wealth - I still think Miscavige's primary interest is the control). If there is more than one of them poised to seize control it could get interesting. The MLM company you would think is good training for running a cult.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

I never heard of 90s Tarzan. Granted I wasn't allowed to watch most of television in the '90s, but I've literally never heard of this show.

• Upvote 6

11 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I never heard of 90s Tarzan. Granted I wasn't allowed to watch most of television in the '90s, but I've literally never heard of this show.

It gets a little confusing because when I joined FJ several years ago, I was scanning through threads and came across this one.  I swore I had a poster of Joe as Tarzan when I was a teenager in the late 80s but everything said the show was in the 90s.  After some searching, I found that he was in a movie called Tarzan in Manhattan in 1989 and then the series was on TV 1996-1997.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 9

11 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Makes sense to me.  My personal belief system involves edibles, Van Halen, animal supremacy, the aesthetic and genius of Andy Scott, historic true crime, and sudoku.  Practicing requires wasting a lot of time online.

That sounds a lot better than all the fundies/most religions. Especially the historic true crime part! Sign me up. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 5

3 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

How DID that happen? How did an actor, probably based on a coast, glom onto a mid-South churchianity personality?  I’ve always been curious about it! 

IIRC, Joe's acting career, such as it was, waned after he turned 40, so he decided to relocate to Nashville and try his hand at country music. The music career never really came to fruition, but he did manage to snag Gwen and her bottomless purse, so the move wasn't entirely for nought.

No idea how they actually met, though. Or how the timelines meshed with the end of Gwen's 40 year marriage. I am curious...

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 10
  • Love 1

So if Joe was not certified to fly the plane, but he did and now 7 people have died this would all their insurances including company and life void??? 

oh man, let the legal fight and shit fight begin. The relatives and  the young children will be suing everyone. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

2 hours ago, AnnaSofia said:

IIRC, Joe's acting career, such as it was, waned after he turned 40, so he decided to relocate to Nashville and try his hand at country music. The music career never really came to fruition, but he did manage to snag Gwen and her bottomless purse, so the move wasn't entirely for nought.

No idea how they actually met, though. Or how the timelines meshed with the end of Gwen's 40 year marriage. I am curious...

Didn’t they supposedly meet at RF while Gwen was still married? But they claimed they didn’t start their relationship until she got divorced, something I never believed. 

I always assumed Joe got tired of being poor, heard of the rich woman who hated her husband and decided to go for it. I have a feeling that when it comes to men like Joe, Gwen would be pretty easy to manipulate by flattery. Joe had bad plastic surgery, but wasn’t unattractive. He was exactly the sort of husband Gwen wanted. But I also don’t think Joe particularly liked Gwen and found as the marriage went on that she was going to be the one who controlled him. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

I don’t know why people think there is going to be a legal fight. No one is going to sue anyone.These people are all in a cult and the dead are all cult leadership.

The Martins are basically founding members and the Walters are near lifelong members. No one is suing on behalf of Brandon’s kids - and I really don’t think anyone would have standing to sue since Brandon worked for the church and his wife now owns the church and they are fully in the custody of said wife.

Who is suing? The Martin kids are adults and Remnant members. I would seriously doubt anyone outside the cult gets custody of the Walters kids. I covered Brandon above. I am confused as to why people think cult members are going to break ranks. 

11 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Didn’t they supposedly meet at RF while Gwen was still married? But they claimed they didn’t start their relationship until she got divorced, something I never believed. 

I always assumed Joe got tired of being poor, heard of the rich woman who hated her husband and decided to go for it. I have a feeling that when it comes to men like Joe, Gwen would be pretty easy to manipulate by flattery. Joe had bad plastic surgery, but wasn’t unattractive. He was exactly the sort of husband Gwen wanted. But I also don’t think Joe particularly liked Gwen and found as the marriage went on that she was going to be the one who controlled him. 

I don’t remember anything public about how they met. But it was all systems go before Gwen divorced. Joe was in the middle of a bitter custody battle and his was career was going no where. Gwen was an easy out for him. Her first husband was not a big believer in her theology, correct @RFSurvivor_2?

• Upvote 17
  • Thank You 2

15 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I don’t know why people think there is going to be a legal fight. No one is going to sue anyone.These people are all in a cult and the dead are all cult leadership.

Even if someone's guardian takes the lead, and sues the estate, or an insurance company gets involved, its extremely unlikely that anything will go to trial. Most cases end up settled out of court because our legal system is not great. 

The fact that no one survived also means it's less likely that there will be ongoing lawsuits due to no need to cover medical expenses. 

• Upvote 9

24 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

This. I don't understand why people are so certain their will be legal fights either. If anyone brings up anything I suspect it will all be handled out of the public eye or possibly the cult could proactively set up trusts/financials for the minor children or something like that to avoid lawsuits. (I don't know if this would happen, just thinking if ways yo keep the financial information from general members).

The members lost their leader and part of the leader group who they followed/listened to/believed, some of the children are from families that were high ranking lifelong members (who knows what LLCs and assests their pqrents have), so I'm not so certain lawsuits will be happening. 

The power play for who will lead next may be interesting but even better would be if it all falls apart.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3

48 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

This. I don't understand why people are so certain their will be legal fights either. If anyone brings up anything I suspect it will all be handled out of the public eye or possibly the cult could proactively set up trusts/financials for the minor children or something like that to avoid lawsuits. (I don't know if this would happen, just thinking if ways yo keep the financial information from general members).

The members lost their leader and part of the leader group who they followed/listened to/believed, some of the children are from families that were high ranking lifelong members (who knows what LLCs and assests their pqrents have), so I'm not so certain lawsuits will be happening. 

The power play for who will lead next may be interesting but even better would be if it all falls apart.

The next step is going to be the power play. Can someone reminds us about what happened with Tedd Anger. He was a founding member and something happened a year or so ago. @AmazonGracedo you recall?

• Upvote 10

7 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Cam,  you mentioned the size of the "church".  1500 members may sound like a lot of members, but those members are spread over 150 congregations for an average of 10 members per congregation.  

Penny, I can do math, too! Apparently you missed the comment I made: 

The Tennessean is reporting RF “reportedly has more than 1,500 members in 150 congregations around the world”. It doesn’t sound that big. 

There are mega churches where one brick and mortar church has more attending a service than that. 

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2
  • Confused 2
  • WTF 1

16 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

The next step is going to be the power play. Can someone reminds us about what happened with Tedd Anger. He was a founding member and something happened a year or so ago. @AmazonGracedo you recall?

I am hoping for something like Game of Thrones - Brentwood.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 29

1 minute ago, FiveAcres said:

I am hoping for something like Game of Thrones - Brentwood.

I was going to say that but thought people might be mad at me! ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 19

My financial advisor says clients often tell him “my kids all get along” to which the advisor says, “put some money on the table and see what happens” because he says it always changes things. 

With this much loss, no one can say how the dynamic will change within RF, but it definitely will.

I cannot see Gwen’s daughter dealing with the loss of her mother and husband while now raising several small children on her own wanting to reach out and minister to others. I have no idea what Gwen’s son is like. 

Such a catastrophic event is enough to pull the blinders from some people’s eyes. When that happens, I think there will be outrage on the part of some of the victims’ family members. They will want compensated for their emotional trauma. 

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 11
  • I Agree 5

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic