IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin Lara 16: Remnant after Gwen [Gwen and other RF leaders dead in plane crash]

Destiny

1 hour ago, freefromthin said:

I think that the members of RF are well aware that Gwen was THE FACE of their "ministry" and that MANY people have speculated about what would happen to it if Gwen died. Though I was never a member of RF, I spent a LOT of time in her classes and on the various media that was used to communicate. We were encouraged to ALWAYS give credit to Gwen and WD for any successes that we saw whether weight loss oriented or "laying down sin". Negativity and/or discussion of any STRUGGLES with her program was HIGHLY discouraged. Using any scripture or religious ideologies other than what SHE taught were discouraged. Whenever I spoke with a member one on one, they ALWAYS made it a point to say how much Gwen's message had changed their lives. Any questions that I asked that could be perceived as negative were either deflected or ignored. Gwen's teachings  were also hailed as being THE REASON that they had anything good in their lives. No one else gave a sermon or offered any thoughts about the Bible from what I can tell. So now that Gwen is gone, I think that they are not only bent on reassuring any outsiders that they will be "stronger than ever", but also any members who might have their doubts. It will definitely be interesting to see what happens over the next few months.

They are due to have a service today, but it will be interesting to see whether or not that takes place. They do have a link at the bottom of the Remnant Fellowship webpage to allow anyone to watch their webcasts. Webcasts used to require a log in, but they recently (before Gwen's death) had a website redesign. Since they had already set a precedent of airing past videos of Gwen's sermons, so it wouldn't be surprising to see such a thing at today's service, if they have one. 

Talking to my family member yesterday they aren’t having a service today and on Saturday just a fellowship so they can all get together to pray and comfort each other so far as they had heard. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 14

17 minutes ago, bloopbloopdoop said:

Did he hope to use Gwen as some sort of platform to promote these beliefs? 

Wasn’t Gwen into conservative politics before Joe? I personally think he saw Gwen as an easy mark and wanted her money. I also don’t think he realized how much control Gwen would wield over him. In one of the live videos he mentioned sneaking off to eat a candy bar. I bet Gwen wanted to make sure her new husband stayed skinny and watched his food intake like a hawk. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Pathologic Antagonist said:

In the deposition she gave when she brought a second lawsuit against me and our ministry, back in 2010 in my lawyer's office, it was very clear that when it came right down to it, that's exactly how she felt. There was no such thing as the sacred and the profane to her when it came to mixing religion with business. She spoke of it bluntly as an operation of commerce

So was RF incorporated & run as a regular, for-profit business or did/does it have a non-profit arm as well? 

Note that the RF website is a ".org" domain though I'm pretty sure you don't have to be a registered non-profit to use that domain extension.

Edited by hoipolloi
Clarity
  • Upvote 5

Here is the link with Durville Patton talking about how the church will go on. I did misquote him as saying that the church will be stronger than ever. He just says that they will push forward. Sorry about that.

Edited by freefromthin
*misquote
  • Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank You 11

I wonder if they planned to join in on the MAGA grift wagon.  Apparently there's gold in them thar hills.

Tongue in cheek on the pedo thing, maybe Joe & Gwen wanted to learn more about adrenochrome at the rally to keep from getting any older looking.

Edited by Destiny
Unexpected results when posted. / Edited by destiny to clean up empty quote boxes. 
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Reallyhatefakes said:

Talking to my family member yesterday they aren’t having a service today and on Saturday just a fellowship so they can all get together to pray and comfort each other so far as they had heard. 

They can't miss Saturday, being sabbath keepers.  Note however the plane crash was on the sabbath.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, fransalley said:

Is this similar to a “hair switch”?

Have not heard that term! Will ask her. :) 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, freefromthin said:

Here is the link with Durville Patton talking about how the church will go on. I did misquote him as saying that the church will be stronger than ever. He just says that they will push forward. Sorry about that.

Oh well but that phrasing was a bit disturbing as well. All those smiles and smirks, and they will "use this opportunity to push the Remnant Fellowship forward behind her two children and this incredible leadership that He's provided at this church..."... 

Seven people died and it's an opportunity. Nice.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 10

1 minute ago, AmazonGrace said:

It makes you wonder how much love for Gwen there really was among the rank and file. Or among the lower levels of leadership for that matter.

• Upvote 9

3 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Oh well but that phrasing was a bit disturbing as well. All those smiles and smirks, and they will "use this opportunity to push the Remnant Fellowship forward behind her two children and this incredible leadership that He's provided at this church..."... 

Yeah, that seemed a bit odd to me, too. People that you love have died and you want to put out a message that the church will move forward? Although that was the messaging on the text sent out from her daughter, too, so...

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

Why would anyone's children have a birthright to be Prophet 2.0?

Is being a prophet genetic or like a property that you can bequeath to your children once you're dead? Or God wants to save himself the trouble of locating other prophets?

Or does RF not need a prophet anymore since Gwen said it all already?

Edited by AmazonGrace
  • Upvote 11
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Why would anyone's children have a birthright to be Prophet 2.0?

Is being a prophet genetic or like a property that you can bequeath to your children once you're dead? Or God wants to save himself the trouble of locating other prophets?

Or does RF not need a prophet anymore since Gwen said it all already?

I mean, the FLDS "passes on" the prophet role - often within family lines. The mainstream LDS church replaces prophets with new ones as they pass as well ?‍♀️ 

I don't think it would be announced though. Her role as a prophet has been a hot topic in our family for a long time, mostly because the RF people can't keep their stories straight. First, it's that the church has never promoted her as a prophet (just read the testimonies, TONS of them refer to Gwen as a prophet, and you can't tell me she has no hand in what gets posted in the website about her). Then it's that some people believe she's a prophet but they don't think so. Then it's that they believe she's a prophet but not a Moses-type prophet... just able to speak the Word clearly prophet (I'm sorry, but when has Gwen EVER said ANYTHING clearly). It actaully drives me nuts how they dance around it all...

Sorry, long rant... TL;DR - I'm sure the church members will start saying her kids/kid are prophet(s) in time, but I don't know that it will ever be "announced" or anything like that.

Edited by Blue
spelling sucks
  • Upvote 11
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Blue said:

(I'm sorry, but when has Gwen EVER said ANYTHING clearly).

No kidding!! She's strong on her ideas and opiniona but when she's speaking, she's always pausing and grasping for words and very often what she says doesn't make sense. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, ManyGoats said:

No kidding!! She's strong on her ideas and opiniona but when she's speaking, she's always pausing and grasping for words and very often what she says doesn't make sense. 

We sat through a wedding once where she started talking about the bride and groom, but must have had them confused with another couple because what she was saying wasn't correct at all, and as we looked to our left and right everyone was just nodding with a look of adoration. It was creepy, but it's like they are so used to get jumbled talk they don't even notice it.

• Upvote 21
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 2

4 minutes ago, ManyGoats said:

She could sometimes get an idea across.  After all it's from Gwen that I learned Fritos are mention in the bible.  

Kidding...but yes, her written communication was terrible and I'd expect a prophet to be better at delivering a message.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

I had heard that certain numbers have biblical significance. It's sometimes called biblical numerology.

Biblical numerology is the use of numbers in the Bible to convey a meaning outside of the numerical value of the actual number being used.[1] Numerological values in the Bible often relate to a wider usage in the Ancient Near East.

Also I'm surprised Gwen believed in toxic positivity. Toxic positivity is common in cults.

• Upvote 3

Is there a significance to all of the congregants dressing alike for celebrations? I saw pics from a recent celebration (pentecost maybe?) where there were people being baptized in a pool & all the people watching were wearing basically the same khaki/cream color combo. I always thought that was really strange. Same goes for the weddings - it seems that guests have to wear certain colors.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

39 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

She could sometimes get an idea across.  After all it's from Gwen that I learned Fritos are mention in the bible.  

Kidding...but yes, her written communication was terrible and I'd expect a prophet to be better at delivering a message.

This was our thoughts. Our family finally decided that she was a prophet, but in the sense that she could tech the word with such clarity that anyone listening could understand... Not a Moses-type prophet who was literally the mouthpiece of God.

It was hard not to laugh.

And I don't believe a word they said. They can say they believe that all they want, but they put her words on par with the Bible.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 2

26 minutes ago, FrozenSmile said:

Is there a significance to all of the congregants dressing alike for celebrations? I saw pics from a recent celebration (pentecost maybe?) where there were people being baptized in a pool & all the people watching were wearing basically the same khaki/cream color combo. I always thought that was really strange. Same goes for the weddings - it seems that guests have to wear certain colors.

Yes, they are told what colors to wear to holidays, celebrations, and weddings. Very culty in my opinion.

• Upvote 7
  • WTF 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Is it wrong that I kind of hope one of my kids says that at my funeral since it would be funny?

Spoiler

image.png.c54a283f43a4c6c1a232efb24aeeecbe.png

• Haha 25

3 hours ago, Sarcastically spinster said:

I hadn't previously heard of the OK symbol being seen as an alt-right sign.  Based on what I found on NPR, I'm not sure it's widespread enough or well-known enough to assume that's how he meant it?  https://www.npr.org/2019/09/26/764728163/the-ok-hand-gesture-is-now-listed-as-a-symbol-of-hate

I could just be uninformed, but IMO the fact that they were on a plane to a MAGA rally is far more concerning of their political beliefs than use of a sign that doesn't seem to have had much connection to alt-right beliefs until four years ago.  

Slightly off topic (and I sincerely hope I don't sound pedantic): that sign is also used currently and widely in the NBA to celebrate 3 point shots.  (Examples of some of the league's superstars flashing the 3 point sign in the spoiler.)  Just mentioning in case anyone tunes into one of the four (FOUR!! Yay!) playoff games airing tonight and wonders, "What the hell?!"

Apparently, NBA players were asked not to do it while playing in Brazil because it's the regional version of "f--- you."

But, yes, outside of basketball, I would give the side eye to anyone doing it.  

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.77f8f0737ebd947508534a704de7bc16.png

image.thumb.png.f829f71cd4bf7eab5d4a4e5ebae7e34b.png

image.thumb.png.1b2ffa616ce236c9cd27d2ff2f186e4f.png

image.png.7b02a89bffbb903a82c76a5e780d9813.png

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 8

Maybe it’s a regional thing, but I grew up with that hand sign meaning “A-okay.”  Like anytime other people might give a thumbs-up, I grew up doing that sign instead, and it was common and understood by everyone around. Like you’re in a restaurant and the server asks you how everything is tasting but your mouth is full, so you give the “A-okay” sign. Or someone says “smile” and is holding a camera, so you smile and do that sign, because some girl in gradeschool told you that the peace sign is for valley girls and asian tourists, and, being a sheltered child, you took every social cue offered by this girl very seriously.

For a while several years ago, everyone was using it as the symbol for “the game” (you just lost the game). Now suddenly decades later the alt-right co-opts it, and anyone who uses that symbol might be a racist? I mean, I read the news stories stating that very thing, so I’ve been conscientously trying to stop using it, but old habits are hard to break, especially in social settings when you are expected to respond or react to something quickly.  In Joe Lara’s case, apparently he was a MAGA guy and there is too much overlap between many of them and the alt-right racists to leave much room for doubt.  But if I see a pic of a random person doing that hand sign with no other context given, I definitely don’t suddenly suspect that person might be racist. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 17

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yes, they are told what colors to wear to holidays, celebrations, and weddings. Very culty in my opinion.

A long time ago in a thread far, far away....... someone mentioned that it was also a PR move, looking good in the pictures they post on the internet. You know, like putting makeup on the kids and having them all wear Magnolia Pearl (or whatever brand it was) clothes.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 1

Yeah, the thumb and forefinger making a circle, with three fingers sticking up, varies a lot in meaning. I've been avoiding it lately due to the alt-right crap, but it has a long and varied history.

In fact, pre-Trump, we joked here about someone (Taryn?) thinking it was satanic because it looked like the number 666 - someone has it as their avatar. More here:

By sheer coincidence, I found and have been re-watching The Prisoner, and putting that hand up to your eye, then dropping it, goes with the the creepy-cheery "Be seeing you!" good-bye everyone says in the The Village. McGoohan does it sloppily here, to show his scorn, so it looks more like a normal salute, but you can see the hand shape more clearly in some other instances.

And if you have no idea what The Prisoner was, I suggest checking it out:

Edited by thoughtful
riffle - #2 did it.
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic