IGNORED

Zach & Whitney 8: #ad, #sponsored & Whit Finds the Time!

nelliebelle1197

Apparently Khloe was in the hospital over the weekend.  A tumblr user posted they saw on Gil's sermon she was found unresponsive Saturday morning.  I watched the segment and Gil said they got a knock on the door early that morning that Khloe was breathing and had a pulse but was completely limp.  He said she was doing fine on Sunday and they were running some tests

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 10
  • WTF 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2022 at 12:27 PM, Nashville92 said:

Apparently Khloe was in the hospital over the weekend.  A tumblr user posted they saw on Gil's sermon she was found unresponsive Saturday morning.  I watched the segment and Gil said they got a knock on the door early that morning that Khloe was breathing and had a pulse but was completely limp.  He said she was doing fine on Sunday and they were running some tests

What is the tumblr page? 

I did not know Khloe was hospitalized. I saw Whitney's instagram where she only posted about meeting Carlin's baby so I wonder when it happened and what happened to Khloe.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

She has a story up on the stove for their new house that Zach just had to have. The stove is $5K at Lowes! I want the freaking money tree these people have!

• Upvote 6

On 4/7/2022 at 6:50 AM, Smoochie said:

She has a story up on the stove for their new house that Zach just had to have. The stove is $5K at Lowes! I want the freaking money tree these people have!

I noticed that too. Where do they get their money from? Is monetizing your YouTube lucrative? Does Whitney really have enough followers to make good money? Or did they invest their money from the show wisely? I just don’t get it. I always had the impression the Bates had far less money than the Duggars. That Jim Bob was much more of a business man than Gil.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Cupcake79 said:

I noticed that too. Where do they get their money from? Is monetizing your YouTube lucrative? Does Whitney really have enough followers to make good money? Or did they invest their money from the show wisely? I just don’t get it. I always had the impression the Bates had far less money than the Duggars. That Jim Bob was much more of a business man than Gil.

Duggars had some money before the show. They lived frugal or even poor because they preferred to invest money in JB political career. Bates were very poor. JB and Michelle were more business oriented, while Bates were grifters. 

I don't think Whitney earns a lot on youtube. She'd need far more views in her videos to make real money. But influencers often get free samples or good discounts if the advertise a product. Probably they didn't pay $5000 for the stove. 

• Upvote 7

14 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I don't think Whitney earns a lot on youtube. She'd need far more views in her videos to make real money. But influencers often get free samples or good discounts if the advertise a product. Probably they didn't pay $5000 for the stove.

She told this whole story about how they needed a 36" stove to go with their cabinets, and Zach was browsing on Lowe's website, spotted the one they liked, bought it, and then it sold out immediately afterwards. And she never disclosed that it was sponsored (her sponsored posts are usually super obvious and tagged as such, like the ones she does for Kiwi Crate.) It didn't seem like an advertisement.

I am also baffled as to how they could afford a $5,000 stove. Maybe they made a good profit off of selling their last house and decided to splurge?

• Upvote 3

I noticed that stove too. It looked expensive as hell. I’m not at all surprised by the $5000 price tag. It looks like a 5k stove. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

Tax refund. My husband is a CPA and filed our taxes in February. He said that our 2021 baby gave us a $5k child credit. $3600 plus the stimulus money we didn’t get in spring because she hadn’t been born yet. We also got the other half of the 6yo’s child credit. So they could have received $5k plus the other half of their other kids. Or all of their other kids’ child credit if they chose to opt out of the six monthly payments.

• Upvote 10

45 minutes ago, BensAllergies said:

Tax refund. My husband is a CPA and filed our taxes in February. He said that our 2021 baby gave us a $5k child credit. $3600 plus the stimulus money we didn’t get in spring because she hadn’t been born yet. We also got the other half of the 6yo’s child credit. So they could have received $5k plus the other half of their other kids. Or all of their other kids’ child credit if they chose to opt out of the six monthly payments.

So true, I forgot all about the Biden money to families & tax time. It certainly could explain some of the purchases we've seen by them and others.

While I do believe their Boutique is doing okay, giving them some income, paying some bills & paying employees, I don't think they're getting rich off of it.  I also think if it wasn't doing well (losing $$) they probably would have taken the opportunity when Erin left to just close the doors and say that God was leading them in a different direction.  Frankly I never thought it would have lasted even this long, but, props, they did stick with it!

• Upvote 6

On 4/9/2022 at 3:19 PM, CanadianMamam said:

Maybe the boutique is doing well? Both Zach and Whitney seem to be working there full time. 

This is a clothes store with quite unexceptional clothes but healthy prices. Run by women with no business experience and poor educations, while simultaneously caring for their small children.  The business is still in it's early years, when most places are still taking a loss. They may be making a profit (or maybe not) but I doubt they are getting rich off it.

I'm pretty sure it's their tax refunds funding their recent expenditures. 

• Upvote 2

Asked Google how much an influencer can make. 
“According to Vox, a micro-influencer, defined as someone with 10,000 to 50,000 followers, can earn anywhere between $40,000 and $100,000 per year. Influencers with millions of followers, on the other hand, can earn tens of thousands of dollars per post.”

For the record, Whitney has 364k followers on Instagram.

I don’t believe they have YouTube, but for comparison,  Lawson has about 50k on YouTube and Trace is already at 7.5k. Again, quick google search revealed that YouTube influencers can make an average income of about $48k. 

Plus the Boutique income, which based on their combined socials and followers, I imagine is more lucrative than we’d all like to believe. Regardless that the clothing itself is unexceptional, their branding is what’s selling it and driving sales. 

And, as mentioned above, tax breaks. I think it really does add up quickly for them. And in much larger sums than any of us can really know. 

(long winded and poorly researched analysis of the possible income, though I’ve been in sales, specifically gift and apparel for about 12 years)

• Upvote 7

17 hours ago, Oh_Dear! said:

Plus the Boutique income, which based on their combined socials and followers, I imagine is more lucrative than we’d all like to believe. Regardless that the clothing itself is unexceptional, their branding is what’s selling it and driving sales. 

I dunno. Do you buy unexceptional clothes because of the branding?

I had no idea the Bates kids could be making so much as influencers.

“According to Vox, a micro-influencer, defined as someone with 10,000 to 50,000 followers, can earn anywhere between $40,000 and $100,000 per year. Influencers with millions of followers, on the other hand, can earn tens of thousands of dollars per post.”

So if a micro-influencer is someone with 30k followers, Whitney has 12x that.   Say the mircro influencer makes  $75G per year  (since it's roughly between 40,000  and 100,,000).  

That means  Whitney's  making say 75,000 x 12, or almost a million dollars a year?

Edited by Jackie3

18 hours ago, Oh_Dear! said:

I have a workmate who is a youtuber and she told me the earnings for the video views are very low. Influencers earn the big money when they do adverts (the most followers, but specially the most views, mean more money). 

My workmate says that the average income $48000 is not realistic. According to her, a 10k followers youtuber is lucky if they are earning 100 or 200 euros a month for views and a bit more if do adverts. But it may be different in US.

Edited by Melissa1977
Spelling
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 5

On 4/13/2022 at 9:33 AM, Oh_Dear! said:

As

Mine shows that she has 346K followers, maybe you got the numbers mixed up? Still a lot. 

The Bates by followers.

Instagram: 

Erin 402k

Carlin 371k (Evan has 114k)

Alyssa 346K (John 91K) 

Whitney 346k

Lawson 278K (Tiffany has 100k)

Josie 258K (Kelton has 77K)

Michal 210K 

Katie 191K (Travis has 73k)

Tori 148k

Trace 106K (Lydia has 16K)

Nathan and Esther both have 64K

YouTube:

Carlin and Evan 131K

Alyssa and John 89K

Chad and Erin 80K

Lawson 50K

Travis and Katie 50K

Nathan and Esther 15K

Trace and Lydia 7.5K

So they defintirly have a market and I think for example Carlin is probably doing really, really well. 

I ran a website that had ad income. It was a relatively low-traffic site, around 30K in clicks a month. I still got about $70 a month and that was super low-cost ads on a low traffic platform. YouTube ads have a better payback. 

Carlin had a partnership for drop where she got $10 for everyone who signed up using her code. If 1% of her followers signed up then she got $37K that she could use for gift cards for Amazon, etc. So yeah, I believe that their partnerships are lucrative. 

Josie had a story recently where she commented that she wouldn't be putting the time and effort into social media if she and her family didn't benefit. 

Erin doesn't do instagram ads (foolish imo) but she obviously has realized that YouTube is an option and maybe she feels better about that, she is really quickly catching up to Alyssa and her per video viewpoint is really good. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 6

23 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

dunno. Do you buy unexceptional clothes because of the branding?

Counterpoint: clothing is only made exceptional through branding. All top brands had to start somewhere on the bottom and through branding became popular and expensive. I know many people, and I’ve done it to, that will buy something from someone to support that person specifically. 
I think that the Bates boutique has a strong following. And as much as I hate to admit, they do a really good job with the social media for the boutique. Their content (purely viewed from sales perspective) is really good and appealing for their targeted audience. 

9 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

Mine shows that she has 346K followers, maybe you got the numbers mixed up? Still a lot. 

Thanks. Typo on my part. 

23 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

That means  Whitney's  making say 75,000 x 12, or almost a million dollars a year?

I doubt it would be that much, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if she does make at least $100k-$250k annually from socials. Possibly more. 

I do think that Carlin and Josie probably make more. Alyssa maybe less. 

The sponsorships and partnerships are really key here. And YouTube does pay more. With the show gone from UP, I think their “fans” are eager for content and will watch all their channels on YouTube. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Oh_Dear! said:

Counterpoint: clothing is only made exceptional through branding. All top brands had to start somewhere on the bottom and through branding became popular and expensive. I know many people, and I’ve done it to, that will buy something from someone to support that person specifically. 

Clothing is made exceptional through branding? Not through the fit? Or material? Or style? 

Using that theory, a dowdy, cheap piece of clothing that is well-branded would sell. People would wear their ill-fitting, cheap shirt or pants because of the brand. 

My husband isn't even aware of branding. He walks into a store and buys the jeans that fit best and are well-made. Branding doesn't affect him because he doesn't pay attention to it. There is a huge group of people like him, who are completely unaware of branding.

For that matter, I am much the same.  I'll buy by fit, or by how well-made it is. If I were a Bates fan, I suppose I might by one dress because of the branding. But if it were badly made, I wouldn't buy another. You feel there are people who just keep buying cheap stuff that looks bad on them, because of branding? 

1 hour ago, Oh_Dear! said:

I doubt it would be that much, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if she does make at least $100k-$250k annually from socials. Possibly more. 

Well, based on the figures you cited initially, she'd be making at least a million, and possibly far more.  I chose conservative numbers, in the middle of the range you gave. So according to you, Zach and Whitney are millionaires. 

Now it seems you've reduced your estimate by about 80%. What changed? Which is correct, your first estimate or your second? They are dramatically different.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Downvote 1
  • Thank You 1

8 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

You feel there are people who just keep buying cheap stuff that looks bad on them, because of branding? 

While I agree that there is a large part of the population that does not care about branding, I also know from my sales experience, that branding is important and will lead to sales. And as you know many people who don’t care about it, I know just as many who are self-described brand whores who will only buy specific brands. Furthermore, there are also many people, again myself included, who will buy something simply to support the person selling it. I’ve bought jewelry and clothes from people to support them because they were good people. I’m not saying that I think the Bates are good people, but clearly, they have a very solid following. 

8 hours ago, Jackie3 said:
9 hours ago, Oh_Dear! said:

Well, based on the figures you cited initially, she'd be making at least a million, and possibly far more.  I chose conservative numbers, in the middle of the range you gave. So according to you, Zach and Whitney are millionaires. 

If you read my original post, I had quoted Vox as the source of the estimate earning, so I want to be clear that I’m not making up these numbers. And they’re not a mathematical equation. These are estimations based on numerous factors, including the sponsorship deals they have, how often they post, what sort of post it is (reel v story v traditional post). So no, I never thought that they are millionaires, but was trying to say that they are probably a lot better off than we think. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Oh_Dear! said:

While I agree that there is a large part of the population that does not care about branding, I also know from my sales experience, that branding is important and will lead to sales. And as you know many people who don’t care about it, I know just as many who are self-described brand whores who will only buy specific brands. Furthermore, there are also many people, again myself included, who will buy something simply to support the person selling it. I’ve bought jewelry and clothes from people to support them because they were good people. I’m not saying that I think the Bates are good people, but clearly, they have a very solid following. 

I agree that there is a subset of the population that will buy because of branding. However, there's a limit to what branding can do. It really can't make unexceptional clothes exceptional. Branding, however, can make unexceptional people take out their credit card (lol)

There is a subset of the population who have heard of the Bates, mostly women. Within that group of women, there are diehard fans who will buy because they love the Bates.  Within THAT group there's a small subset--those who can afford a  Bates Boutique dress AND who see one that they like. So that group will buy a dress. Will they like it? Will they be able to afford a second? Only a percentage of those first-time buyers will buy a second dress.

It seems unlikely that there's enough people in this final group to make them a lot of money. Particularly since the show is over.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Downvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1

10 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Clothing is made exceptional through branding? Not through the fit? Or material? Or style? 

Using that theory, a dowdy, cheap piece of clothing that is well-branded would sell. People would wear their ill-fitting, cheap shirt or pants because of the brand. 

My husband isn't even aware of branding. He walks into a store and buys the jeans that fit best and are well-made. Branding doesn't affect him because he doesn't pay attention to it. There is a huge group of people like him, who are completely unaware of branding.

For that matter, I am much the same.  I'll buy by fit, or by how well-made it is. If I were a Bates fan, I suppose I might by one dress because of the branding. But if it were badly made, I wouldn't buy another. You feel there are people who just keep buying cheap stuff that looks bad on them, because of branding? 

Now it seems you've reduced your estimate by about 80%. What changed? Which is correct, your first estimate or your second? They are dramatically different.

The Bates Boutique caters to young girls/young women, who are generally on social media very actively. They consume their content, likely look up to the Bates girls, who are pretty, successful on social media, married, etc, want to be like them, and naturally, buy their clothes. The first thing on their mind is highly unlikely to be consideration of the quality of the clothing. Back when I was a pre-teen/teen, the trend was to have Aeropostale/Abercrombie/Hollister/American Eagle clothing. No one cared about the quality, just the brands. 

• Upvote 9

2 hours ago, Keys said:

The Bates Boutique caters to young girls/young women, who are generally on social media very actively. They consume their content, likely look up to the Bates girls, who are pretty, successful on social media, married, etc, want to be like them, and naturally, buy their clothes. The first thing on their mind is highly unlikely to be consideration of the quality of the clothing. Back when I was a pre-teen/teen, the trend was to have Aeropostale/Abercrombie/Hollister/American Eagle clothing. No one cared about the quality, just the brands. 

This. When I was younger ng I don't think I ever considered quality, my mother did but I didn't. It was all about brands and style. 

My mother worked with a young woman who was super into fashion and shopped an insane amount and changed her entire wardrobe every few months (and all good brands). My mom used to bring massive bags of clothes home for me, which I loved because my parents had a very strict rule where they would buy me whatever clothes I needed in September (hundreds of dollars worth) but the rest of the year I was on my own unless I had a major growth spurt. 

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, Keys said:

I agree! These girls care about how the clothes look on them. If the Bates dresses don't look good, all the branding in the world won't make a difference! Great point.

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic