IGNORED

Zach & Whitney 8: #ad, #sponsored & Whit Finds the Time!

nelliebelle1197

What the hell are these people going to do if Instagram folds?

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

50 minutes ago, Bazinga said:

Oh my goodness my comment made a thread title. I've been here for years, I feel accomplished now! ?

It just perfectly sums up people like the Batesssesez sisters!

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

I do wonder about this. There is only so much money to be made "influencing" people to buy soaps if all your sisters/sisters-in-law/Duggar friends are all influencing the same people to buy the same soap at the same time.  

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

I do wonder about this. There is only so much money to be made "influencing" people to buy soaps if all your sisters/sisters-in-law/Duggar friends are all influencing the same people to buy the same soap at the same time.  

It reminds me of the fundie oil craze of a few years ago.

Admittedly one of the "benefits" was that it meant every person's IG was public; helpful for our purposes.

I'll also never forget "CharlieTheOilGuy" Bowers. So cringe! Although he apparently completely deleted his IG, which is mildly interesting because it did still exist when I checked toward the end of last year.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

I'll also never forget "CharlieTheOilGuy" Bowers. So cringe! Although he apparently completely deleted his IG, which is mildly interesting because it did still exist when I checked toward the end of last year.

I think both his sisters were also shilling Young Living oils. It made no sense since they all ran in the same social circles.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, HereticHick said:

I think both his sisters were also shilling Young Living oils. It made no sense since they all ran in the same social circles.

They were! I feel like the Bontragers also sold them at their Inn, and via searching Allison's blog it makes perfect sense that it was one of her projects, even as recently as 2019. Wow.

I'm definitely not on the MomCircuit nor Facebook, but nowadays I do see the MLM oils in local businesses as kind of a side hustle for sale, regardless as to what their main realm actually is. They're always twice as much as I pay at our local co-op for way higher quality (aura cacia).

Personally I swear by lemon grass oil for periodontal health and tea tree for toenail fungus, but that's about as oily as I get ? Topical treatments.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

Personally I swear by lemon grass oil for periodontal health and tea tree for toenail fungus, but that's about as oily as I get ? Topical treatments.

I have to admit I love essential oils and buy them at our local organic grocery store. I use them mostly to diffuse, but also to make my own cleaning supplies to avoid waste and save money.

My midwife also uses oils instead of gel when she performs ultrasound to hear the babies heartbeat and I just love the smell of it.

I wouldn't never use oils as medication or anything like that.

• Upvote 8

For those of you that use essential oils in your daily life, do they actually work as cleaning  supplies just as well as like Windex or Lysol? I have a few friends who have, in the last couple months, thrown out all their “toxic cleaners” (their words, not mine) and replaced them with Thieves cleaners or essential oils cleaners. It’s triggered my MLM radar because usually it’s Young Living oils that they’re using and it seems like several girls I went to college with are starting to get into MLMs, especially the ones that are military wives. 

• Upvote 7

26 minutes ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

For those of you that use essential oils in your daily life, do they actually work as cleaning  supplies just as well as like Windex or Lysol? I have a few friends who have, in the last couple months, thrown out all their “toxic cleaners” (their words, not mine) and replaced them with Thieves cleaners or essential oils cleaners. It’s triggered my MLM radar because usually it’s Young Living oils that they’re using and it seems like several girls I went to college with are starting to get into MLMs, especially the ones that are military wives. 

I make my own kitchen cleaner and it consists of water, citric acid, 10 drops of lemon essential oil (you could use another too) and some organic dish soap. It works great for me so far.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 2

15 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

I'm definitely not on the MomCircuit nor Facebook, but nowadays I do see the MLM oils in local businesses as kind of a side hustle for sale, regardless as to what their main realm actually is. They're always twice as much as I pay at our local co-op for way higher quality (aura cacia).

Same. I like oils, I just don't think they are* *magic***. I have some Aura Cacia Sweet Almond oil in the cabinet right now--and i like Tea tree oil

• Upvote 8

I have a diffuser to help make my house smell pretty and I use a roll-on oil blend that helps me get to sleep and eases my anxiety. Could totally be a placebo, but it helps me so I don't care. ?

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

Your friends probably are being hoodwinked, but as long as you're not actively swallowing them and you buy them from legitimate sources, they can and do work well. I will say the ones that Walmart sells are terrible, and so I would avoid Big Box oils.

I bought Aura Cacia oils first because that's what the Co-Op had back in 2007, but it turns out that they're actually a notoriously good and reputable brand. Whole Foods oils are fine, I just rarely shop there. I haven't tried anything sold at Trader Joe's, but I would think if they sell oils, they're probably solid. 

For cleaning, my go-to is a mix of water, baking soda, white vinegar, and a few drops of tea tree oil. If you're scrubbing the bathroom, I highly recommend a melamine sponge (magic eraser) to go along with it. That combo will get stains out of porcelain better than bleach.

You can also use a combination of baking soda/vinegar/hot water to unclog drains.

I've heard good things about peppermint for various house cleaning processes as well, and so that's worth giving a shot. I use commercially produced Wondercide and they use peppermint in some of their bug spray/flea spray and it works well, smells good, and is completely non-toxic.

Just remember, it sounds cliche but much like glue: a dot is a lot. It's super concentrated, and so even in a spray bottle you'll only need a couple of drops. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 3

I made homemade green cleaners once upon a time. I added oils to make an all purpose spray smell good, and the same for a baking soda scrub. I only did if for a few months, then a stomach bug swept through the house and I went back to normal stuff. I do diffuse them thought because I can't tolerate candles. 

• Upvote 2
  • Bless Your Heart 1

45 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

I made homemade green cleaners once upon a time. I added oils to make an all purpose spray smell good, and the same for a baking soda scrub. I only did if for a few months, then a stomach bug swept through the house and I went back to normal stuff. I do diffuse them thought because I can't tolerate candles. 

I mean, ACV and baking soda can't save you from someone not washing their hands properly, or not closing the toilet lid before they flush.

The stomach bug likely had nothing to do with the cleaning products you were using. My mom uses bleach, pine sol, and lysol and all of that + we all wash our hands regularly; we've still all gotten the stomach bug a time or two.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

I mean, ACV and baking soda can't save you from someone not washing their hands properly, or not closing the toilet lid before they flush.

The stomach bug likely had nothing to do with the cleaning products you were using. My mom uses bleach, pine sol, and lysol and all of that + we all wash our hands regularly; we've still all gotten the stomach bug a time or two.

I'm sure the stomach bug likely had nothing to do with the cleaners I was using, but my husband is immune compromised so when the kids were little and would bring illnesses home from school, I'd go nuts trying to keep the bathroom and kitchen and doorknobs and stuff extra clean.

• Upvote 8

On 4/21/2021 at 5:01 AM, ophelia said:

I make my own kitchen cleaner and it consists of water, citric acid, 10 drops of lemon essential oil (you could use another too) and some organic dish soap. It works great for me so far.

This sounds great. I'm confused, though, why/how dish soap needs to be organic. What is the benefit? I guess it's because it touches your dishes. In that case, is there organic body soap also?

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Jackie3 said:

This sounds great. I'm confused, though, why/how dish soap needs to be organic. What is the benefit? I guess it's because it touches your dishes. In that case, is there organic body soap also?

For one, dish soap is on your skin a lot - and the hands might absorb some of it - and might even stay on the dishes depending on how you wash. So choosing a product of high quality is an advantage.

Also, organic products are often produced in a way that’s friendlier to the environment, the water, etc. and have ingredients that are bio sustainable.

That’s why I personally chose organic laundry detergents, dishwashing liquids, and cosmetic products (such as body soap, creams, etc.) 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 7

1 hour ago, Jackie3 said:

Nearly all organic or natural cleaning products and personal care products are derived from plants rather than chemicals. Speaking for myself as someone who has suffered from eczema since childhood and has allergic reactions to nearly every damn medication, these products have saved my sanity! 

This also means less chemicals in the environment, not to mention on your skin and in your home.

And I see @FluffySnowball beat me to it!

Edited by Mom to Nell
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

On 4/21/2021 at 8:44 AM, MaryOrMartha said:

I have a diffuser to help make my house smell pretty and I use a roll-on oil blend that helps me get to sleep and eases my anxiety. Could totally be a placebo, but it helps me so I don't care. ?

Right .I like them in my bathroom if I'm taking a bath. I don't use them instead of antibiotics. 

• Upvote 6

15 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

And it only takes a few minutes to make it!!
I only use organic dish soap and diswasher tabs for the reasons @FluffySnowball and @Mom to Nell already mentioned. I only use organic make-up, body lotion and body soap as well.

I mostly use drug store brands which luckily aren't that expensive in Germany. I'm also trying to be more aware to avoid waste and try to buy unpacked products more and more.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

22 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

Right .I like them in my bathroom if I'm taking a bath. I don't use them instead of antibiotics. 

Yep. I don't see a problem using them to clean or for the fresh scent. But smearing oregano oil on your neck will not cure your strep throat. 

• Upvote 9

Just a friendly PSA that essential oils are generally not safe around pets, especially birds and cats. I use them occasionally in my bath but don't diffuse them since we had a house chicken for a while and have 3 cats.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 13

11 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

Just a friendly PSA that essential oils are generally not safe around pets, especially birds and cats. I use them occasionally in my bath but don't diffuse them since we had a house chicken for a while and have 3 cats.

Thank you! I didn't know about that.

• Upvote 2

I asked my vet about essential oils and cats since I have 3 at home and he said that as long as the door is open and the cat can come and go and you didn't put the diffuser in a very small room there are no problems with it. Take this as you want. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic