IGNORED

Zach & Whitney 8: #ad, #sponsored & Whit Finds the Time!

nelliebelle1197

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Cabinets can be built to last like furniture. I imagine those cabinets were in decent shape and could have been saved for someone else or used in a different part of the house. But that takes more time and effort. Smashing things and filling up a dumpster is easier and more fun for young men.

Perhaps the cabinets weren't as in as good as shape as they looked?  But, it's equally likely that the Bates simply considered all things on earth to be used by them and disgarded when no longer needed, or have watched too many makeover shows were everything is smashed before all the new stuff is brought in.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Flossie said:

Perhaps the cabinets weren't as in as good as shape as they looked?  But, it's equally likely that the Bates simply considered all things on earth to be used by them and disgarded when no longer needed, or have watched too many makeover shows were everything is smashed before all the new stuff is brought in.

I imagine they have flipper mentalities. If you know anything about flipping, you know they are likely to just go in and smash everything and put in everything new. It’s incredibly frustrating because they will often put in new stuff that’s low quality. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

The cabinets and the countertops, even if in somewhat ragged condition, would have been free to install in the "school room" unless Whit has to keep up with Alyssa's child-unfriendly decor. It seems to me almost *anyone* would have done that.

• Upvote 3

I admit when we bought our house, personal preference was a factor in ripping things out. Like the upstairs bathtub was functional but it was too small/low for my tastes and so it went. Bathroom floors were ugly and we replaced them. Same with the kitchen counters. I actually wish we had ripped out our cabinets then because we are probably going to do it in a year or two. I wish we had just done it all at once. 

You have to live in the house, so you might as well make it to your personal taste.

• Upvote 10

13 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

I admit when we bought our house, personal preference was a factor in ripping things out. Like the upstairs bathtub was functional but it was too small/low for my tastes and so it went. Bathroom floors were ugly and we replaced them. Same with the kitchen counters. I actually wish we had ripped out our cabinets then because we are probably going to do it in a year or two. I wish we had just done it all at once. 

You have to live in the house, so you might as well make it to your personal taste.

I just wish people would consider where all this stuff they are ripping out is going. If they actually had to deal with it, they might be more likely to take it out without destroying it and donating it to resale shops. Vintage is in. People actually look for retro tubs, sinks, appliances, and cabinets. People may even reuse some of the parquet that they were ripping up. But it’s just easier to throw away instead of reusing it or recycling. 

• Upvote 9
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I just wish people would consider where all this stuff they are ripping out is going. If they actually had to deal with it, they might be more likely to take it out without destroying it and donating it to resale shops. Vintage is in. People actually look for retro tubs, sinks, appliances, and cabinets. People may even reuse some of the parquet that they were ripping up. But it’s just easier to throw away instead of reusing it or recycling. 

Yes, it IS easier. I'm all for upcycling and do a lot of it. But it is way more work. I've dedicated a lot of time locating sources for my old electronics, furniture, etc.

Everyone makes their own choices about where to spend their time. Someone who throws away old cabinets may purchase thrift-store clothing and used tools. Someone who proudly brags about upcycling their old cabinets may buy new appliances every year to look "updated."

Bear in mind, a person who tosses a cabinet may have an elderly parent or newborn at home, and simply not have the time to drive their old cabinets up to a resale store.

In addition, thrift stores can be pretty fussy about what they take. Assume that you have the cabinets removed very carefully, and store them in your garage till you find a home for them. You may be waiting a long time,  whether or not "vintage is in." You may take a day off work to have the Salvation Army come pick up the cabinets, only to have them refuse to take them because they are in poor shape You might haul them up to the ReStore, only to have them rejected. Then what? You can put them on your local Free and Trade group--and that's the most time consuming of all. People often say they're coming and then they don't show up. Or they come, and decide the cabinets are the wrong color. It can go on and on.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 5

7 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Yes, it IS easier. I'm all for upcycling and do a lot of it. But it is way more work. I've dedicated a lot of time locating sources for my old electronics, furniture, etc.

Everyone makes their own choices about where to spend their time. Someone who throws away old cabinets may purchase thrift-store clothing and used tools. Someone who proudly brags about upcycling their old cabinets may buy new appliances every year to look "updated."

Bear in mind, a person who tosses a cabinet may have an elderly parent or newborn at home, and simply not have the time to drive their old cabinets up to a resale store.

In addition, thrift stores can be pretty fussy about what they take. Assume that you have the cabinets removed very carefully, and store them in your garage till you find a home for them. You may be waiting a long time,  whether or not "vintage is in." You may take a day off work to have the Salvation Army come pick up the cabinets, only to have them refuse to take them because they are in poor shape You might haul them up to the ReStore, only to have them rejected. Then what? You can put them on your local Free and Trade group--and that's the most time consuming of all. People often say they're coming and then they don't show up. Or they come, and decide the cabinets are the wrong color. It can go on and on.

We know that the Bateseses don't care about the planet they live on.

Being frugal with resources is indeed more time-consuming than just wasting stuff but one has to consider the consequences of that wastefulness. Pretty soon there simply will be no more resources to waste because they will have run out. If you base your actions simply on what benefits you personally the most in the moment that's obviously a different story. Out come the paper plates because supposed homemaker Alyssa cannot be bothered to even run a few plates from her daughters' daily lunch through the dishwasher.

I'm not saying Zach and Whit should dig a hole in the forest and sit there and munch on tree bark but again they show their un-Christian lack of care for their environment and the future of humankind (their offspring included) by being wasteful and taking shortcuts to meet their personal goals.

My opinion is that you should not have more children than you can reasonably care for. The same principle holds here: if you do not have the time, knowledge and resources to properly carry out a project like that then don't take it on. Zach and Whit aren't even trying: I saw that video of them just burning trash on their property...

• Upvote 15
  • Thank You 1

They are enclosing the carport to make a garage. If they were smart about money and cared about waste, they would use those old cabinets for storage in their new garage instead of buying new. It’s what my mom did when she replaced the cabinets in her kitchen. She moved them to her garage and they are the perfect place for her tools. 20 years later and they are still working well.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 6

I gutted my apt when I bought it. Head to toe remodel. Cabinets, floors, closets everything. I would post pics of what the previous owner did to hardwood floors but it would totally give away my identity. Most of my friends were shocked at the sheer stupidity. I also needed new sheetrock and all that because I wanted good insurance and needed to ensure that there's no mold. There were spots all over the walls because I'm on the last floor. Is it wasteful? Probably, but I can't live with mold and old shit that someone didn't take care of. I'd rather start fresh and now 100% what I'm getting.

• Upvote 12

On 8/24/2021 at 6:05 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

They are enclosing the carport to make a garage. If they were smart about money and cared about waste, they would use those old cabinets for storage in their new garage instead of buying new. It’s what my mom did when she replaced the cabinets in her kitchen. She moved them to her garage and they are the perfect place for her tools. 20 years later and they are still working well.

Your mom replaced functional cabinets with 20 years of life left in them?  Doesn't she care about waste or the planet? Saving the Earth is far more important than updating a kitchen or improving it's functionality. Manufacturing new cabinets from virgin resources uses up a huge amount of energy. and from what it sounds like, the old cabinets had lots of life in them. I hope your mom bought these new cabinets at a thrift shop, at least.

You see, criticizing other's life choices works both ways.

You can "care about waste" and be "smart with money" and still make different choices about old cabinets.

• Move Along 1
  • Downvote 4
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Jackie3 said:

Your mom replaced functional cabinets with 20 years of life left in them?  Doesn't she care about waste or the planet? Saving the Earth is far more important than updating a kitchen or improving it's functionality. Manufacturing new cabinets from virgin resources uses up a huge amount of energy. and from what it sounds like, the old cabinets had lots of life in them. I hope your mom bought these new cabinets at a thrift shop, at least.

You see, criticizing other's life choices works both ways.

You can "care about waste" and be "smart with money" and still make different choices about old cabinets.

Your posts are such a joke. Thanks for the laugh!

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 1

On 8/26/2021 at 3:36 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Your posts are such a joke. Thanks for the laugh!

Thank you. I appreciate that. I've had a helluva week (horrible medical procedure) and your post made my day! (I like your comments too, btw)

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/22/2021 at 5:04 PM, Flossie said:

On 8/29/2021 at 2:28 AM, Jackie3 said:

Thank you. I appreciate that. I've had a helluva week (horrible medical procedure) and your post made my day! (I like your comments too, btw)

He also IS a joke, so it’s extra funny.

• 2 months later...

Whitney's dad, J.C. Perkins, is in the hospital.  He's in septic shock as well as on a ventilator with dialysis. She said he had a procedure last week with complications.  He doesnt sound like he's doing well.  There's a post up on their Instagram 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 5
  • Rufus Bless 1

Poor Whitney. I know some people handle grief by staying busy but even so it will probably be a challenge to get through Katey's wedding. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

8 minutes ago, browngrl said:

Poor Whitney. I know some people handle grief by staying busy but even so it will probably be a challenge to get through Katey's wedding. 

Especially since Whitney is a bridesmaid. I don't think I could have been a bridesmaid 6 days after my dad passed. I was a wreck for a good year (of course I was a lot younger, only 20)

• Upvote 3
  • Love 7

On 8/10/2021 at 4:44 AM, SorenaJ said:

If you're gonna be a homemaker with 19 kids, cooking seems like a skill worth investing in, surely. 

This. I mean, there's really nothing wrong with not liking to cook. But if you have 19 kids, might be something you would think about looking into

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 9

On 8/17/2021 at 11:52 AM, Melissa1977 said:

Provebs women didn't homeschool. That's what fundies don't understand (or don't care): nobody can homeschool a bunch of children WHILE being pregnant every other year WHILE being a good homemaker. And well... children didn't go to school in Biblical times, but of course fundies also lack of historical perspective.

I know some big families in internet seem to be great teachers and great cooks and great everything, but I doubt it is enterely true. The only who seem to keep everything working are using other resources (co-ops or regular schools/high schools for older children, lots of screen-school for the little ones etc).

Back in the day (1990s), when homeschooling was fairly new as a national thing, I did a couple of articles on it. One researcher told me that among the other reasons people homeschooled (at the time it was fairly evenly divided and not the evangelical default it is now), that in religious communities that keep women in submissive roles, homeschooling provides status for the mother. Yeah, I cook and clean (maybe), but that has no status in the outside world. But if I'm a teacher? 
Also, unrelated, a lot of "homeschooling" in the pre-grammar school world is just what other people normally do--read to kids, take them places, do crafts, play games, plant gardens, figure out how much they can buy with pocket money, measure ingredients and bake. Just normal shit.

• Upvote 9

The “complications” Whitney described - ventilator, dialysis, sepsis - sound an awful lot like COVID…

Losing a parent is horrible. If it was indeed due to COVID, maybe it will at least make them take it more seriously and get vaccinated.

Disclaimer: Idle speculation bus - it hasn’t been confirmed anywhere that Whitney’s das died from COVID. It’s just my assumption based on Whitney’s post.

• Upvote 11

1 hour ago, GreenBeans said:

The “complications” Whitney described - ventilator, dialysis, sepsis - sound an awful lot like COVID…

Losing a parent is horrible. If it was indeed due to COVID, maybe it will at least make them take it more seriously and get vaccinated.

Disclaimer: Idle speculation bus - it hasn’t been confirmed anywhere that Whitney’s das died from COVID. It’s just my assumption based on Whitney’s post.

Many conditions in older people can result in septic shock.  My mother died of it due to recurrent urinary tract infections that morphed into kidney infections. People with diabetes are also susceptible, but really any kind of body infection can turn into septic shock if a person's immune system is weakened.

• Upvote 13
  • Thank You 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic