IGNORED

Joe & Kendra 16: Praise - ing Their Brooklyn All the Day Long!

nelliebelle1197

2 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

Erin and Aaron are the same to me - but so are Heron and Karen. 

Must be a California thing, I agree?

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

Erin rhymes with heron and Aaron rhymes why Karen for me. Though I generally call Aaron’s, a a Ron’s ba ha ha if you k know you know. 
but I can see how different accents they would sound th e same. 

Heron and Karen rhyme for me cementing my view that we have the most boring accents ever.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1

On 5/27/2021 at 9:33 PM, CuttySark said:

In my Nova Scotia data sets there are so, so many repeated names, even in families (daughters known as Old Mary, Mary and Young Mary, more than 80 Donald MacDonalds in Cape Breton alone, most of them married to Jessies, Margarets, and Sarahs...). It can make tracking down one particular family line or land grant very difficult 150 years after the fact.

My sister! I have Nova Scotia/Cape Breton relatives too. McNeils and Campbells. So many Donalds and Hectors, Catherines and yes, Jessies and Margarets! I have almost given up. I will go there some day. Hope to get better info. I still have relatives there. Nuns :)

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

My sister! I have Nova Scotia/Cape Breton relatives too. McNeils and Campbells. So many Donalds and Hectors, Catherines and yes, Jessies and Margarets! I have almost given up. I will go there some day. Hope to get better info. I still have relatives there. Nuns :)

I’m not from here, actually - I’m a come-from-away, and my family’s all in Ontario! I’m an historian and currently doing a project related to Scottish settlement in CB. It’s a gorgeous region, and you should absolutely try and get down here once our borders reopen. In the meantime, I’ve got access to some decent databases if you wanted me to look up anything or anyone specific!

Edited by CuttySark
Forgot some words.
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

9 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I live in South Carolina and these all rhyme for me as well. Also, to the poster who said that Don and Dawn aren’t pronounced the same, I’m really curious how both of those are pronounced for you. Because for me they are the exact same and I can’t seem to work out how they could be pronounced differently ?

9 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Heron and Karen rhyme for me cementing my view that we have the most boring accents ever.

See, I think we have a rather diverse set of accents in the United States. A southern accent and a Boston accent sometimes sound like completely different languages to people who don’t know better. I also think a lot of times when we go to compare word pronunciation, especially the ones that come up on this forum during discussions like this, they’re not the ones that are heavily changed by an accent. Like where I’m from pronouncing a lawyer is different depending on the person and makes it sound very different depending on who you talk to. I would pronounce it loy-yer where the first syllable rhymes with boy, and my husband would pronounce it law-yer. The other word I’m always interested in hearing how people pronounce is the word crayon, because I’ve heard so many different people from so many different areas of the country pronounce it so differently. I say cray-yon, but my husband pronounces it the same as crown and my best friend says cray-un, but she says it so fast that it comes out like cran like the first syllable and cranberry. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

See, I think we have a rather diverse set of accents in the United States. A southern accent and a Boston accent sometimes sound like completely different languages to people who don’t know better. I also think a lot of times when we go to compare word pronunciation, especially the ones that come up on this forum during discussions like this, they’re not the ones that are heavily changed by an accent. Like where I’m from pronouncing a lawyer is different depending on the person and makes it sound very different depending on who you talk to. I would pronounce it loy-yer where the first syllable rhymes with boy, and my husband would pronounce it law-yer. The other word I’m always interested in hearing how people pronounce is the word crayon, because I’ve heard so many different people from so many different areas of the country pronounce it so differently. I say cray-yon, but my husband pronounces it the same as crown and my best friend says cray-un, but she says it so fast that it comes out like cran like the first syllable and cranberry. 

I'm in the "cran" camp - there is a very subtle y in there - but it's so fast it's not really hearable. (and "Loy-er") 

I find it funny to hear my mom say things "weird" (not that they're weird - but why don't *I* say them that way when she's the one who taught me to speak??) like "Men". I say it "mehn" - rhymes with hen and like the last syllable in "again". My mom says "Min" - rhymes with pin. While there are regional differences sure - Mom and I lived in all the same regions. And even though my language acquisition didn't happen in the same region HERS did - we've now moved back here and I've never heard another person FROM here - say "Min" 

And now I'm saying Cran/Crayon/lawyer/men in my office like a weirdo!! :)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Erin/Aaron and heron/Karen are the same to me, too- and I've lived in New England my whole life!

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

12 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Erin rhymes with heron and Aaron rhymes why Karen for me. Though I generally call Aaron’s, a a Ron’s ba ha ha if you k know you know. 

You done messed up A-a-ron!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 16

I had a college friend from Long Island (NY) who's (nick)name was Ari. People not from the NY/NJ area would call her Air-ee (like hairy), while others would call her Are-ee. However, she called herself, which I can only describe by the New Yorkiest of NY accents, Ari using the short A sound (as in apple or attitude, or 'Arry Potter :D). It was actually a sound that many of the local North Carolineans couldn't even pronounce, like you need that aspect of New York whine :lolside:

(I hope not to offend anyone's accent. I personally LOVE the Long Island/Staten Island accents, but they are dramatic sounding for sure lol).

• Upvote 6

14 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Mama Mia beat me to it but I was going to say the same thing. All four sound the same to me except for the first letter. 

But then, so do Mary/merry/marry. ?

I find these pronunciation drifts fascinating every time they come up. Languages and how they are used in different places/situations is so interesting to me. ☺️

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

41 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I had a college friend from Long Island (NY) who's (nick)name was Ari. People not from the NY/NJ area would call her Air-ee (like hairy), while others would call her Are-ee. However, she called herself, which I can only describe by the New Yorkiest of NY accents, Ari using the short A sound (as in apple or attitude, or 'Arry Potter :D). It was actually a sound that many of the local North Carolineans couldn't even pronounce, like you need that aspect of New York whine :lolside:

(I hope not to offend anyone's accent. I personally LOVE the Long Island/Staten Island accents, but they are dramatic sounding for sure lol).

Their is one audiobook on YouTube by an American reader (I assume) who pronounces Harry  hairy. Makes me wince. Lol 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, AussieKrissy said:

Their is one audiobook on YouTube by an American reader (I assume) who pronounces Harry  hairy. Makes me wince. Lol 

Now I need to know how else one would say that.  After work I'm going to binge Tim Minchin and Hannah Gadsby to get me some Australian accent :) 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

Growing up, we had a close family friend/honorary aunt whose name was (or so I thought, Aunt Api (pronounced Ahhpi). There was really never a reason I would've seen it written, so there was a moment of minor confusion when I was helping with invitations for my sister's graduation party (20 years in) and wondered who Arpi was. Thank you very much Boston dropped Rs... 

Also when my dad was helping us do some reno on our house, and my husband called me at work to ask me what my dad meant when he asked if we had an acana bead. After several back and forths, I finally said "Dude. I have no idea what you're talking about. Use it in a sentence" Turns out my dad was asking about a corner bead... 

My father-in-law, who was born in France, wanted to name my husband Jean-Paul. My mother-in-law vetoed that quickly feeling that other kids would call him Jeanne and tease him for having a "girl" name.

Edited by AnywhereButHere
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, Meggo said:

I'm in the "cran" camp - there is a very subtle y in there - but it's so fast it's not really hearable. (and "Loy-er") 

I find it funny to hear my mom say things "weird" (not that they're weird - but why don't *I* say them that way when she's the one who taught me to speak??) like "Men". I say it "mehn" - rhymes with hen and like the last syllable in "again". My mom says "Min" - rhymes with pin. While there are regional differences sure - Mom and I lived in all the same regions. And even though my language acquisition didn't happen in the same region HERS did - we've now moved back here and I've never heard another person FROM here - say "Min" 

And now I'm saying Cran/Crayon/lawyer/men in my office like a weirdo!! :)

Now you’ve got me saying men/again/pin over and over to myself! All of those end in the same sound for me. Min, uh-gin, and pin. I can make my mouth pronounce men and again different ways, but I wouldn’t use those pronunciations in regular speech. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

Now you’ve got me saying men/again/pin over and over to myself! All of those end in the same sound for me. Min, uh-gin, and pin. I can make my mouth pronounce men and again different ways, but I wouldn’t use those pronunciations in regular speech. 

mehn- plural of man
ah-gen - one more time
Pin - you pin clothes together to sew
Pehn - you write with

I do say Harry/hairy 
But Mary/Merry and then marry might be a hair different? maybe? 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

You now have me whispering hairy and Harry to myself over and over trying to make them sound different. I can't do it; they sound the same, and I can't imagine how they would be pronounced differently without sounding like a cartoon or something. 

Edited by Mrs. Kravitz
Missing word
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 5

7 minutes ago, Mrs. Kravitz said:

You now have me whispering hairy and Harry to myself over and over trying to make them sound different. I can't do it; they sound the same, and I can't imagine how they would be pronounced differently without sounding like a cartoon or something. 

Ha - very short a like apple.

Rry - long ee sound like reap. 

said smooshed together so that it’s practically one syllable. 

If you want to hear some Brits pronounce Harry like that, I believe there was a British made film featuring a boy called Harry a while back ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, CuttySark said:

I’m not from here, actually - I’m a come-from-away, and my family’s all in Ontario! I’m an historian and currently doing a project related to Scottish settlement in CB. It’s a gorgeous region, and you should absolutely try and get down here once our borders reopen. In the meantime, I’ve got access to some decent databases if you wanted me to look up anything or anyone specific!

Thank you so much! I am stuck in one area.  If it's ok, I'll pm you when I get my questions together this weekend. 

Mary/merry/marry are SO different to me, I don't know how they could be pronounced the same??? Mary Tyler Moore is the same as Merry Christmas? And they are the same as marry? I don't understand. 

And Karen and heron are even more different (I grew up in New England, too.) ????

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mrs. Kravitz said:

Harry rhymes with Carrie as in Underwood not as in Mariah Carey. Carey and hairy rhyme and Carrie and Harry rhyme. 

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 3
  • I Agree 1

3 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

Harry rhymes with Carrie as in Underwood not as in Mariah Carey. Carey and hairy rhyme and Carrie and Harry rhyme. 

I think Carrie and Carey rhyme ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 13
  • Thank You 1

2 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I think Carrie and Carey rhyme ?

WhAt about Cherie/cherry and Carey?

Those both rhyme with harry/Carrie  

also I see on Facebook people mentioning That the caldwells senior have removed all baby posts. Bit worrying considering the Titus  xfile. 

• I Agree 1

26 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

OMG so Carrie and Carey are different too?!

@Topaz Now I'm replaying HP in my head to think of an instance where a character says hairy so I can compare. I always assumed they'd pronounce it the same. 

Edited by Mrs. Kravitz
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

I always thought Carey was literally a hard "care" + "ee" whereas Carrie could be "Cahr-ree" or "Cehr-ee". 

My sisters name, Alison, is pronounced Ayl-ih-sun in the midwest but Ah-lis-son on the east coast. 

On 6/9/2021 at 5:41 PM, Mama Mia said:

Erin and Aaron are the same to me - but so are Heron and Karen. 

Uh, Erin is eh-rin and Aaron is ay-ay-ron…totally different. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 12
  • Love 2

On 6/9/2021 at 6:48 PM, medimus said:

Yes, they sound completely different to me. Erin starts with a dull 'eh' sound, as in meh and Aaron starts with a short 'ah' sound, like apple. THe ends are also different. Erin ends in 'in' exactely like the word in and Aaron ends with 'un' as in undone.

So, I'm not a native speaker.
To me "eh" as in meh and "ah" as in apple, sound exactly the same. 
In English, these names sound the same to me.
In Dutch they would be pronounced completely different. Double aa in Dutch gets a 'long' sound, I can't find an equivalent in English. And Erin, if pronounced Dutch, would be pronounced somewhat like: the first 'e' would be kind of similar in pronounciation to the 'in' part. Slightly different, the 'e' is pronounced longer than the 'i', but I don't think an English speaker would hear the difference, but again I can't find a good equivalent in English. (For the Dutchies: I think it would be pronounced Eerin). 

Edited by Marly
  • Thank You 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic