IGNORED

Joe & Kendra 16: Praise - ing Their Brooklyn All the Day Long!

nelliebelle1197

I'm from Connecticut and went to grad school in Iowa. The dialect isn't that different other than words like soda/pop and bag/sack in most of the state, I feel. Southern and northern can run into Missouri and Minnesota run-off.

I was so perplexed when a kid asked me for a sack (I was running the prize counter at a restaurant with games). To me, a sack was made of burlap. Of course I moved back home almost 7 years ago and still say sack.

• Upvote 5

On 6/10/2021 at 6:36 AM, JanasTattooParlor said:

I live in South Carolina and these all rhyme for me as well. Also, to the poster who said that Don and Dawn aren’t pronounced the same, I’m really curious how both of those are pronounced for you. Because for me they are the exact same and I can’t seem to work out how they could be pronounced differently ?

See, I think we have a rather diverse set of accents in the United States. A southern accent and a Boston accent sometimes sound like completely different languages to people who don’t know better. I also think a lot of times when we go to compare word pronunciation, especially the ones that come up on this forum during discussions like this, they’re not the ones that are heavily changed by an accent. Like where I’m from pronouncing a lawyer is different depending on the person and makes it sound very different depending on who you talk to. I would pronounce it loy-yer where the first syllable rhymes with boy, and my husband would pronounce it law-yer. The other word I’m always interested in hearing how people pronounce is the word crayon, because I’ve heard so many different people from so many different areas of the country pronounce it so differently. I say cray-yon, but my husband pronounces it the same as crown and my best friend says cray-un, but she says it so fast that it comes out like cran like the first syllable and cranberry. 

You've got me sitting here saying crayon. For the record, it comes out like "cran".

And Don/Donna are pronounced the same, Dawn is different.

On 6/11/2021 at 5:29 AM, adidas said:

Linguistics nerd checking in.

Aaron has the phoneme ‘a’ (as in cat or apple - IPA /æ/)

Erin has the phoneme ‘e’ (as in bed or dress - IPA /e/).

Oddly enough, I don't hear a difference in the first syllable when I say it, I hear it in the second. Aaron = air-run, Erin = air-rin.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2021 at 8:47 PM, mango_fandango said:

I remember reading a book where the main character was called ‘Cammie’, which was short for Cameron. To me that is a boys’ name, even though there’s the actress Cameron Diaz. The book character had the middle name Ann and Cameron Diaz’s middle name is apparently Michelle, so pretty obviously feminine middle names. Wikipedia says that Cameron is unisex in the States, the U.K. and Australia, although there are far more famous men with the name than women. There was once a boy in my class at primary school called Cameron. 

If you’re familiar with the Gwen Shamblin threads, her kids are Michael and Michelle, although Michelle goes by Elizabeth now. Michelle always makes me think of both the Duggar matriarch and Michelle Tanner from Full House. 

My best friends daughters are Cameron Lynn and Taylor Marie. When they were pregnant, they picked one first name for either sex and just changed out the middle names. 

On 6/10/2021 at 10:55 AM, front hugs > duggs said:

I had a college friend from Long Island (NY) who's (nick)name was Ari. People not from the NY/NJ area would call her Air-ee (like hairy), while others would call her Are-ee. However, she called herself, which I can only describe by the New Yorkiest of NY accents, Ari using the short A sound (as in apple or attitude, or 'Arry Potter :D). It was actually a sound that many of the local North Carolineans couldn't even pronounce, like you need that aspect of New York whine :lolside:

(I hope not to offend anyone's accent. I personally LOVE the Long Island/Staten Island accents, but they are dramatic sounding for sure lol).

My nephew's name is Ari. Were from Upstate NY. We pronounce it Are-ee

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bring up a topic from ages ago, but a few of you (esp. @HerNameIsBuffy and @JanasTattooParlor) were asking about androgynous names and why/how they go from male to female but not the other way around.  I remembered reading this blog post last year about just that thing: https://inequalitybyinteriordesign.wordpress.com/2019/06/04/trends-in-androgynous-u-s-baby-names/

Basically, it comes down to misogyny. Things that are considered more "feminine" are valued less by society than things considered more masculine. So it can potentially be advantageous to give a girl an androgynous (although at first more masculine) name, but as soon as people start to realize a name is really androgynous they stop giving it to boys, because it's considered total shit if a boy might be mistaken for a girl or have a "girl" name.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1

God, when I saw this thread was active, I though K had announced another pregnancy. Isn’t it about time? 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

49 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

God, when I saw this thread was active, I though K had announced another pregnancy. Isn’t it about time? 

Not yet, thankfully!  Duggar Data predicts an announcement right around Christmas. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I had the same reaction. I was thinking yesterday that it’s about time for Kendra and Joe to announce. Weirdly, I was also thinking how impressed I am that Abbie, Lauren and Joy haven’t announced. Bella and Grace will be at least 2.5 years older than any sibling and Evy is nearly one so she will have at minimum 1.5 years between herself and any subsequent siblings. It’s sad that I noticed this. 

• Upvote 2
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 4

25 minutes ago, Expectopatronus said:

I had the same reaction. I was thinking yesterday that it’s about time for Kendra and Joe to announce. Weirdly, I was also thinking how impressed I am that Abbie, Lauren and Joy haven’t announced. Bella and Grace will be at least 2.5 years older than any sibling and Evy is nearly one so she will have at minimum 1.5 years between herself and any subsequent siblings. It’s sad that I noticed this. 

Kendra got pregnant with Brooklyn when Addison was six months, well this month Brooklyn will be 6 months. If she goes at this rate she will announce in November 

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

On 6/2/2021 at 11:15 AM, AprilQuilt said:

I feel like Sage is one of those names that's migrated over the last 30 years or so. Names like Jordan, if I knew the age of the person, I'd be able to take a good guess at their gender. I went to school with so many male Jordans (and Ashleys!) in England in the 90s, but nowadays I'd assume a new baby Jordan was probably a girl. Same with Taylor, which feels really feminine to me now although I know it didn't always.

Now that gender fluidity is coming into public awareness, it may be different, but overall (there are exceptions), in the US at least, the tendency has been that once a name, even those once considered gender neutral (Kelly, Kelsey, Taylor, for example) start to be used for lots of females, it is dropped for males.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, raayx01 said:

Kendra got pregnant with Brooklyn when Addison was six months, well this month Brooklyn will be 6 months. If she goes at this rate she will announce in November 

Actually Kendra said on the show that her due date was March 1, 2021, so Addison was around seven months when Kendra got pregnant again.

They're not likely to make another announcement before Halloween and hopefully after that.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

I would also be guessing Novemberish, 

Tonight because I'm bored and feeling sick I went through their Instagram and both have been pretty evenly spaced, fun fact?

They tend to do their current gender announcement ~3-4 weeks after the 1st birthday of the previous bebe.

If my very unscientific pattern holds we can expect this hinder announcement in early February 2022 which lines up with a pregnancy announcement in Nov/December

Can't believe I ended my extended Duggar hiatus by making guesses on announcements. 

Edited by LacyMay
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 7

Duggar Data has them due to announce on December 23, 2021.

I do certainly hope that the negative media attention from Josh's trial will cause the rest of them to retreat to a private life out of the public eye. I genuinely do not know what Kendra and Joe think they gain from being public. Even if previously they thought this was an evangelism endeavor, could they really be so dumb to reality that they don't realize that ship has sailed?

Just make your instagram private and live your life JoKen! 

• Upvote 6
  • Bless Your Heart 1

A private life doesn’t mean they’re going to stop having children. They are still steeped in the kool-aid and having children faster than what is healthy. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3

19 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

What are the risks to the mother from closely spaced pregnancies? I could mainly find risks to the baby when googling.

From a quick Google search of sources that look reasonably legit, the most commonly mentioned risks to the mother were placental abruption and the inability to replenish nutrients, which can lead to issues like maternal anemia in addition to complications for the baby. But there was also discussion of prolonged sleep deprivation; with closely spaced pregnancies (especially several of them back to back) there's never a chance to get out of the pregnancy/newborn lack of sleep cycle. Plus all the physical toll that pregnancy takes on the body. Things like issues caused by weight gain, diastasis recti, c-section wounds take time to heal properly, and another pregnancy too soon might not allow that healing. 

But risks to the baby also affect the mother (and father). Having a baby born prematurely or with complications puts a lot of stress on parents, emotionally and financially. 

• Upvote 9

Jeez- the sleep deprivation alone would have killed me. We adopted (so I didn’t have that “didn’t get a lot of sleep in 3rd trimester” stuff) but I have NEVER been that tired in my life. I fell asleep talking to my sister. I regularly woke up for the 3am bottle having fallen asleep in the rocking chair from the midnight bottle and not being able to move my neck because it was as such a weird angle. I can’t imagine having given birth, being exhausted, smelling of baby spit up and then being “joyfully available” and hoping for “blessing number X” knowing I might never sleep through the night again…

shudder

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 7

I absolutely understand that going private won’t mean they aren’t “steeped in the koolaid.” I swear. 

there are significant problems with the QF lifestyle and the fundamentalism and the misogyny. There is also a significant problem when you exploit your children for public consumption. 

The creepy Caldwell picture made me think about the exploitation problems. I don’t think (and never said) that going private will solve the qf and fundie problems, but it would help with the exploitation problems. 

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, Meggo said:

Jeez- the sleep deprivation alone would have killed me. We adopted (so I didn’t have that “didn’t get a lot of sleep in 3rd trimester” stuff) but I have NEVER been that tired in my life. I fell asleep talking to my sister. I regularly woke up for the 3am bottle having fallen asleep in the rocking chair from the midnight bottle and not being able to move my neck because it was as such a weird angle. I can’t imagine having given birth, being exhausted, smelling of baby spit up and then being “joyfully available” and hoping for “blessing number X” knowing I might never sleep through the night again…

shudder

There is NO tired that equals new baby tired. And this is coming from someone who worked the overnight hours for 10 years and rarely slept more than 5 hours. Thank God it was only 3 nights a week-the memory of new baby tired never faded, and my baby is going to 31 YO on 8/28.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

My SO and I are planning on taking alternate nights with any future babies, at least then every other night will be a good night’s sleep. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

If we hadn't coslept (and still do to some extent as DD is about 7 months, I think I would have died. There was no putting her down and she thought my husband taking a turn with her was bullshit. The first 3 weeks I slept less than 2 hours per day (on a good day). Thank god for post partum hormones making it all a blur of loving emotion and adrenaline. I like to rib my husband that I want 5 more because it makes him crazy, but our ages and my csection make that impossible anyway.

I, of course, am writing this and she has a fever and I'm having little luck getting her to sleep with or without me. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 18

7 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

If we hadn't coslept (and still do to some extent as DD is about 7 months, I think I would have died. There was no putting her down and she thought my husband taking a turn with her was bullshit. The first 3 weeks I slept less than 2 hours per day (on a good day). Thank god for post partum hormones making it all a blur of loving emotion and adrenaline. I like to rib my husband that I want 5 more because it makes him crazy, but our ages and my csection make that impossible anyway.

I, of course, am writing this and she has a fever and I'm having little luck getting her to sleep with or without me. 

Yep- we sort of ended up co sleeping too. I would try to get him to sleep for a bit in his own and then bring him in with us so that we could get SOME sleep. 
he is 8 now and still sleeps best WITH someone.

• Upvote 4

On 8/13/2021 at 4:37 PM, OHFL2009 said:

From a quick Google search of sources that look reasonably legit, the most commonly mentioned risks to the mother were placental abruption and the inability to replenish nutrients, which can lead to issues like maternal anemia in addition to complications for the baby. But there was also discussion of prolonged sleep deprivation; with closely spaced pregnancies (especially several of them back to back) there's never a chance to get out of the pregnancy/newborn lack of sleep cycle. Plus all the physical toll that pregnancy takes on the body. Things like issues caused by weight gain, diastasis recti, c-section wounds take time to heal properly, and another pregnancy too soon might not allow that healing. 

But risks to the baby also affect the mother (and father). Having a baby born prematurely or with complications puts a lot of stress on parents, emotionally and financially. 

There are also mental health risks, although I doubt those are acknowledged in Duggarland. My grandmother had a mental illness that nobody would ever talk about (this was back in the day), but my mother, an in-law, said she didn't think anything was the matter with her except she had too many babies too close together. We think it was post-partum depression that nobody understood and that worsened with every pregnancy.

I guess Andrea Yates would be the poster child.

• Upvote 3
  • Move Along 1
  • Love 6

On 8/4/2021 at 12:09 AM, SassyPants said:

me too. first question in my mind, how far along is she? 

• Upvote 1
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/14/2021 at 7:30 PM, patsymae said:

There are also mental health risks, although I doubt those are acknowledged in Duggarland. My grandmother had a mental illness that nobody would ever talk about (this was back in the day), but my mother, an in-law, said she didn't think anything was the matter with her except she had too many babies too close together. We think it was post-partum depression that nobody understood and that worsened with every pregnancy.

I guess Andrea Yates would be the poster child.

It's not acknowledged much in the secular world, either. Postpartum depression (and, for that matter, postpartum anxiety) is incredibly common and the screens at the six-week check are a joke, at least here in the US. Sleep deprivation and changing hormones when you're already expected to be blissfully happy by society are bad enough to cope with before throwing in brain chemicals being wonky. Being a fundie, where you're expected to cheerfully welcome every single fertilization, frequently without any more spacing than what you get from lactational amenorrhea? It must be hell for anyone with PPD/PPA.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

My (mild) ppd didn't start til about 10 weeks pp. I hadn't know that could happen. Luckily it seems to be mostly resolved but I was so anxious about watching my daughter alone by the end of my maternity leave that I still have major anxiety about it at the 7 month mark leading up to a day alone with her. None of the screening caught it, and just when I was considering finding a therapist it eased up on it's own.

• Love 8

• Coconut Flan locked this topic