IGNORED

2020 Election Fallout 13: Sedition And Arrests

GreyhoundFan

Lin Wood puts license in jeopardy by refusing mental health evaluation

L. Lin Wood, a lawyer who played a role in former President Donald Trump's attempts to overturn his election defeat, put his law license in jeopardy on Friday by saying on social media that he would not undergo a mental health evaluation requested by an attorney licensing body.

Wood said on the app Telegram on Thursday that the State Bar of Georgia had told him he needed to submit to the evaluation to keep his law license. 

In a subsequent post on Friday, Wood said he would decline the request and "litigate" with the state bar if necessary.

"I have done nothing wrong. I have only exercised my right of free speech," Wood said in that post. "I will not allow the State Bar to persecute me for doing so and thereby violate my Constitutional rights."

State Bar of Georgia Chief Operating Officer Sarah Coole confirmed that Wood had been asked to undergo a mental health evaluation but declined to comment further.

The development comes weeks after Wood, an Atlanta-based defamation litigator, was banned from Twitter, where he regularly embraced conspiracy theories.

A Delaware state judge earlier this month blocked Wood from representing former Trump adviser Carter Page, calling claims Wood made on Twitter about U.S. Chief Justice John Roberts "too disgusting and outrageous to repeat."

Wood was also fired in January by a Kentucky teenager who sued media outlets over their portrayal of his stand-off with a Native American activist in Washington in 2019. 

It is unusual but legal for a state bar to ask a lawyer to submit to such an evaluation, said Brian Faughnan, a lawyer in Tennessee who advises attorneys on ethics matters.

Such requests are kept confidential, but in this case Wood "waived" that right to confidentiality by posting on social media, he said.

• Upvote 12

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

I saw this.  Apparently, Julie Jenkins Fancelli has given over a million dollars to the Trump campaign.  There's a Publix close to me.  I've gotten grocery orders from them before but I won't get any more.  I had no idea they supported Trump.

There are articles out now about the organizers and they were delaying "messaging" regarding the rally until they knew the timing of the vote.  I think the whole lot of them ought to be tried for sedition.

Edited by Xan
  • Upvote 14

I’m in Madison Cawthorn’s district and someone needs to get going to unseat him. He’s not getting as much play time but he’s a little Nazi and a liar. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 2

53 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

I have no idea where to put anything....

Colorado has the facility for recall elections apparently. If I lived there I'd be organising a petition ASAP to try and get Boebert the hell out.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 2

Republicans:" Trump should be held accountable, but not by us"

Spoiler

To Senate Minority Whip John Thune, former President Donald Trump's actions ahead of the deadly Capitol riot are totally indefensible.

"No -- not at all," the No. 2 Republican said when asked if he can defend what Trump did. "The way he handled the post-election, both in terms of his public statements and things that he tried to do to change the outcome, no."

But like other Republicans, Thune has no clear answer to this key question: What should they do to Trump after he lied to his supporters about the election being stolen, promoted the January 6 rally in DC and urged demonstrators to go to the Capitol, which they later rampaged in a deadly riot?

Here's an idea - IMPEACH HIM. Then prosecute him for sedition, treason, theft, whatever the hell will stick. Then incarcerate him in one of those federal prisons.

Spoiler

Well, that's a good question," said Thune, who faces reelection in South Dakota next year. "One way, obviously, would be in a court of law."

With the impeachment trial for Trump set to begin February 9, Senate Republicans are criticizing him without doing anything about his actions, hoping to put distance between themselves and the former President without casting any votes that could cause a backlash from Trump and his fervent supporters. Many say something should be done about what Trump did -- but just not by them.

When asked about Trump's actions in relation to the January 6 riot on Capitol Hill, Sen. John Cornyn of Texas, a member of GOP leadership, said: "I'm not going to defend them."

Also not going to put on his big boy pants and actually impeach him, or risk doing anything that might cost him personally apparently.

Spoiler

I think he's been held accountable in the court of public opinion already," Cornyn said when asked if the Senate should take any actions, arguing it would set a "dangerous precedent" to convict a former President.

It's also a pretty bloody dangerous precedent to allow someone to organise an unsuccessful coup, but apparently public opinion is the only court they need be convicted in.

Spoiler

The rhetoric showcases the split between House and Senate Republicans as the party struggles to find its voice after the tumultuous Trump era. Many House Republicans remain staunch Trump defenders, saying he did nothing wrong and shouldn't be blamed for the violence that occurred at the Capitol.

"President Trump did not cause the attack on the Capitol on January 6," freshman Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, the controversial Georgia Republican, told her supporters this week.

I am curious as to what evidence she has as to who was organising - maybe she could elaborate at a trial?

Spoiler

majority of House Republicans backed the efforts to throw out President Joe Biden's electoral victories in two key states, while just a handful did in the Senate. After House GOP leader Kevin McCarthy of California walked back his criticism of Trump and made a jaunt to South Florida on Thursday to meet with the former President, he went out of his way to proclaim they were united in their fight to take back the House next year. Back in Washington, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, a Kentucky Republican, made clear he hasn't spoken to Trump since December 15, and it's unclear if he ever will again.

Yet with the 10 House Republicans who voted to impeach Trump for inciting an insurrection facing a sharp backlash from the right, Senate Republicans are well aware that they would face the same fate if they voted to convict next month. 

What a bunch of gutless wonders.

• Upvote 12

3 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

I am curious as to what evidence she has as to who was organising - maybe she could elaborate at a trial?

Really - tell us how you know for sure, Marjorie?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

11 minutes ago, clueliss said:

Tried to over turn the election - no voting record.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/01/us/capitol-rioters-non-voters-invs/index.html

"We want our voices heard!"

"But nah. Voting? Eh. Long lines and all, couldn't be bothered. We'll buy tactical gear and flags and fly up to DC, though. Commit some crimes, all that."

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 1

3 minutes ago, clueliss said:

White Girl wants to go on a trip after insurrection participation.

So, Covid isn't real either?

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 4

2 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Quoting from the article:

"Chafian, a longtime organizer, said that in December she met Jones “by complete happenstance” at the Willard Hotel in Washington. Not long before, Chafian said, Jones had had a falling out with the leadership of Women for America First. Chafian, who is a reiki practitioner, said she was “put in a position, in my opinion based on what I know from the universe, to clear that energy. To clear that negativity.”"

And you organised an event for Trump. Well, that helped clear negativity.

• Haha 10

Yeah telling people to repent doesn’t work either. 

The end may be near for the freedom of an accused U.S. Capitol insurrectionist known as “Stephen Ignoramus.” Arrested by the FBI on Monday, a man legally named Stephen Maury Baker allegedly broke into the seat of U.S. legislative spouting fire and brimstone.

“I’m Stephen. I’m a live-streamer and a musician. We’re having fun, huh? Repent, and believe in Jesus,” Ignoramus could be seen declaring on his live-stream upon entering the Capitol rotunda.

After reviewing the videos, the FBI discovered that the person filming and narrating the videos identified himself to several people off-camera as “Stephen Ignoramus,” saying he was streaming clips to both YouTube and Instagram. At least twice in the uploaded clips, the suspect appears on camera to address viewers.

He appeared to revel in ignominy. After exiting the building, Baker allegedly posted a video in which he tells an off-camera person that he was on “ABC and Reuters and shit.”

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 6

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic
  • GreyhoundFan unpinned this topic