IGNORED

2020 Election Results 11: Domestic Terrorists And An Eternity Until Inauguration

GreyhoundFan

2 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

I keep trying to get away from the news and the computer but keep coming back trying to make sense of all this.  Bear with me...   Am I seeing this correctly?  There is a coordinated attack on the Capitol.  Trump's people have arranged a stand-down order for back-up security forces.  Trump and his minions -- most particularly, Roger Stone -- have gotten the Proud Boys to plan to lead the break in.  They're given instructions to find the electoral votes so that they can't be counted.  They're told to disrupt and delay.  They and the paramilitary guys are also given instructions on how to find the parliamentarian's office (for the electoral votes?) and how to locate Pence and Pelosi.  Trump thinks that, if they're killed, he can declare martial law and neither Pence nor Pelosi will be there to replace him.

How is this not treason?  Why is no one talking about prison for him?

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 17

9 minutes ago, Xan said:

Trump thinks that, if they're killed, he can declare martial law and neither Pence nor Pelosi will be there to replace him.

He's got it ALL wrong on the martial law thing. First off, any E-1 who is barely literate knows that their oath is to promote, protect and defend THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES AGAINST ALL ENEMIES FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC.  Cheeto baby hands thinks that he can just wiggle his little baby finger and the military would take up arms against citizens. It don't work like that dude. 

Second, there is a chain of command for the office of the President. I think after Pence and Pelosi, the title passes to the Secretary of State (I could be wrong, I didn't look it up) and from there through the cabinet. But, I doubt Cheeto baby hands has ever even read the Constitution (I don't think many in power have read it). 

Third, those whackjobs will turn on Cheeto baby hands in a second. 

There's more shit to hit the fan between now and the 20th...maybe even afterwards. If Cheeto baby hands isn't silenced, he will just continue to foment more hate, discontent and violence. The hammer of justice needs to come down hard and swift on these idiots. God I hope the Dems don't chickenshit out as they are so apt to do. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 3

In case he "becomes" unstable???????????????????????????????

8 minutes ago, clueliss said:

25th may not be out of play

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 29

10 minutes ago, livinginthelight said:

In case he "becomes" unstable???????????????????????????????

That was my reaction, as well.

Reminded me of this:

Spoiler

Context, for anyone who never saw the film:

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 3

5 hours ago, Smash! said:

This is disturbing. Do you know why they support Trump? They seem to be well educated people with good jobs.

I think he gained supporters with his message of “draining the swamp.” I totally understand that, but somewhere along the way over the last 4 years , the light had to have come on with the realization that this guy is far, far worse than any swamp politician. To still support him at this point just baffles me.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

Son of Jewish judge among those who entered Capitol.

From the article:

He was among the many Orthodox Jews who came to the Capitol to protest, telling the Post that he wanted “to express my opinion as a free American that this election was stolen” from President Donald Trump. 

I am having a moment of disbelief that Orthodox Jews were side by side with people wearing some of the most anti-Semitic slogans I have seen in public, and apparently this wasn't an issue for some of them?

• Upvote 12
  • WTF 5
  • I Agree 13

Can someone clarify for me? I’ve seen things saying impeachment is worth it because it would prevent him from running in 2024 - why doesn’t the first impeachment prevent that?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Smee said:

Can someone clarify for me? I’ve seen things saying impeachment is worth it because it would prevent him from running in 2024 - why doesn’t the first impeachment prevent that?

I think because ye wasn't convicted in the senate the first time around, and the senate didn't have a vote on whether he would be prevented from holding another office.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 6

1 hour ago, Smee said:

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

I think because ye wasn't convicted in the senate the first time around, and the senate didn't have a vote on whether he would be prevented from holding another office.

An impeachment trial is meant to determine if there is reason to remove from public office. If removal is warranted, then a second vote may be held on further repercussions; one of which could be 'banning from ever holding public office again'.

In other words, it's far from a done deal, even if found guilty and removed. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 6

Not sure if accurate but I read that the vote about the consequences is a simpler deal than getting the impeachment through in the Senate because the impeachment requires 2/3 and the consequences just a simple majority.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 9
  • Thank You 7

1 minute ago, AmazonGrace said:

Not sure if accurate but I read that the vote about the consequences is a simpler deal than getting the impeachment through in the Senate because the impeachment requires 2/3 and the consequences just a simple majority.

Yes, I think I saw that on either Rachel Maddow's or Lawrence O'Donnell's show. Rachel also asked if the 2/3 majority vote meant the whole Senate, or just 2/3 of those present at the time. Laurence Tribe, (constitutional law professor) answered on O'Donnell's show that it was 2/3 of those present. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 3

So a number of Republicans could hedge their bets and get Trump impeached without personally voting yes, simply by quarantinining at a strategic time.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 8

Here's Glenn Kirschner speaking about why holding an impeachment trial, even if McConnell holds it up until Trump is essentially out of office already is worthwhile:

(video starts at the point he begins talking about impeachment)

What it boils down to is this: if they impeach after Trump has left office, they won't need to vote on removal, but they can (and should) vote to ban him from ever holding public office again. One of the upsides of holding that vote even after Trump has left already is that it quells any arguments that a Biden DOJ investigating, indicting and prosecuting Trump for his crimes is politically motivated and meant to stop him running in 2024.

Edited by fraurosena
names need to be spelled correctly
  • Upvote 11
  • Thank You 3

There is no denying the seditious acts in this video. 

• I Agree 2
  • Thank You 9

3 hours ago, Smee said:

First they have to convict in the impeachment (in the senate) requires the 2/3 majority.  (But Rachel Maddow pointed out two nights ago that they could do that IF a certain number of R senators aren’t there.  Meaning, manipulate the numbers bets to get there.).  Once that happens THEN they can vote (simple majority for this part) to remove his pensions, secret service detail and prevent him from running again,  the actual impeachment doesn’t prevent those things.  It’s complicated and I only understand what I do because I’ve been watching entirely too much news and reading way too much twitter.

Okay so this is part of a thread.  

it sounds like Pelosi’s staff was under a table in the speaker’s office when those assholes were ransacking the office.

as for the if he becomes unstable.  They also said that Pence and Trump have not actually spoken since Wednesday (and that was likely before the insurrection)

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 6

3 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

And (reading this in that thread I linked above) the group following the black officer up the stairs.  It may have been a very good thing that they were focused in him, because they didn’t realize if they turned right, they would be in the then unlocked senate chamber.  

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic
  • GreyhoundFan unpinned this topic