IGNORED

2020 Election Results And Post-Election Day Discussion Part 2

GreyhoundFan

Saw this on reddit...

Antrim county here in Michigan, just pulled all of their results. They were solidly Biden, anyone know what's going on? It doesn't help that our governor has a 2nd home there (like lots of michiganders), the conspiracy theory loons are going to go wild with this.

Anyone hear anything about this?  

1 minute ago, adidas said:

So with Wisconsin he is at 237 ? Does that number include Michigan? 

Yup, 237! Without Michigan. He's actually up bigger there currently than he's won WI with, which is good news.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

What's in Orange County, North Carolina? It's bluer than the rest of the state and only has 84% of votes counted. 

• Upvote 2

Regarding the polls being so wrong, this was interesting:

So what is going on? And why can’t the media and polling companies seem to get it right?

One theory favoured by conservative commentators is the “shy Trump” voter, that argues the public are unwilling to out themselves as fans of the Donald in a move that could see them ostracised socially.[\quote]

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/us-politics/how-did-voter-polls-get-us-election-results-2020-so-wrong-again/news-story/3b105ee5e42a3ba0c3fdcb492d7fab03

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Saw this on reddit...

Antrim county here in Michigan, just pulled all of their results. They were solidly Biden, anyone know what's going on? It doesn't help that our governor has a 2nd home there (like lots of michiganders), the conspiracy theory loons are going to go wild with this.

Anyone hear anything about this?  

https://www.freep.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/11/04/michigan-antrim-county-election-results-trump-biden-blue/6162541002/

• Thank You 3

3 minutes ago, JoyfulSel said:

Yup, 237! Without Michigan. He's actually up bigger there currently than he's won WI with, which is good news.

I'll wait for a few more people to call it, but with that he has now surpassed Hillary's total electoral votes in 2016

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

What's in Orange County, North Carolina? It's bluer than the rest of the state and only has 84% of votes counted. 

Durham-Chapel Hill.  University of NC is there.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 9

Just now, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Durham-Chapel Hill.  University of NC is there.

Everytime I use the thank you button now, I see a sperm. So thanks for that and the post. 

• Haha 8

6 minutes ago, JoyfulSel said:

Yes, I looked up a little while ago; Wisconsin, Michigan, and Nevada add up to 32 electorals  (10, 16, and 6 respectively).  The Associated Press has Biden at 238 without those three, but if he gets all of them, they would bring him to the magic number of 270.  I keep refreshing the page, but AP hasn’t given him Wisconsin yet.

Edited by catlady
I’ll have more credibility mocking Tim Rod’s grammar if my own is correct.......
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4

From FiveThirtyEight

People have been messaging me all afternoon asking why none of the networks were projecting Wisconsin for Biden, given that the state’s officials have told reporters the votes are all counted. Well, the first projection is in. CNN has called Wisconsin for Biden. Notably for us, a division of ABC News, ABC News has not made that same call — and won’t, because the margin between Trump and Biden is less than 1 percent. Biden is about 20,000 votes ahead in Wisconsin (which is more than Trump was ahead of Clinton in that state when the AP called Wisconsin for him in 2016).

• Thank You 9

Just now, Maggie Mae said:

Everytime I use the thank you button now, I see a sperm. So thanks for that and the post. 

I appreciate that as those thank you reactions are the most action I get these days :) 

• Haha 15
  • Love 1

I made a mistake. I’m sorry.

Edited by catlady
Fuck, I’m jumping the gun. I’m sorry.
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

THANIEL RAKICH

NOV. 4, 2:11 PM

The Arizona Republic surveyed county recorders and estimates that 600,000 ballots remain to be counted in Arizona. A full 450,000 of those ballots are in Maricopa County (Phoenix) and break down as follows: 248,000 early ballots (which in Arizona includes both mail-in and in-person votes) that arrived on Monday or Tuesday, 160,000-180,000 mail-in ballots dropped off on Election Day and 29,000 provisional ballots. Maricopa expects to release two batches of results tonight: one at 9 p.m. Eastern and one sometime after 12:30 a.m. Eastern.

(Source is 538)

Edited by Destiny
  • Thank You 8

1 minute ago, AnywhereButHere said:

This is me. Has been me since 7:00 pm ish last night. 

This one is me:

Spoiler

Drunk Amy Schumer GIF

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 12

If Trump loses, can you imagine what his "concession speech" would be? Just a bunch of whining and talk about how he is the best there is and the best there ever was, and the best there ever will be!

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Maybe likeability shouldn't matter as much as it does, but as long as that's in play they cannot run someone who draws so much disdain from disparate groups and hope it goes well.

Maybe it's not so much likability as it is being relatable. The candidate has to make you feel that they are one of you, that they understand you, that they are part of your group with the same goals and ideals. 

We can hate Trump with a passion, but you've got to give it to him, he has the ability to make himself seem relatable. I think that is why a lot of Trumpers vote for him. They are (in some cases wilfully) blind to who he really is, because they believe he is one of them. That is Trump's greatest asset, and he's played it incredibly well. 

I wanted Hillary to become president. I rooted for her. But, honestly, despite her undoubted capabilities, I didn't relate to her at all. She seemed too aloof, too arrogant, too rehearsed and insincere. It's my guess she wasn't relatable to a large part of the voters. They didn't feel like she was one of them, and opted out of voting, or voted for Trump instead. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 6

Hold off on celebrating Wisconsin - guess who requested a recount. (which explains why ABC News has yet to change WI)

• Thank You 3

33 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Now we just need Michigan.  Come on you guys, I have family there and they all went Biden so we did our part.  Please...if you do this I will stop making fun of you for giving us Kid Rock.

Michigan, Arizona and Nevada. 

Editing to add I'm most concerned about Nevada, but CNN has assured us that most outstanding ballots are in Democratic areas. 

Edited by JenniferJuniper
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Okay so since this is FJ, I'm just gonna get up on my soapbox once about this and then back to actual real-time election stuff....

So I grew up with my family one foot in fundamentalism and one foot out (as I've talked about a lot before). Most of my education was actually at a private Christian school in a big, liberal, metro area. It was attached to a church that is not considered evangelical. But even so - our teachers constantly talked to us about conservative politics and politicians. We were told our generation was being prepped to take over the country for the glory of God. That voting for Christian values was not just life or death - it was a battle for eternal souls. 

I grew up and opened my eyes. I know a lot of my former classmates also left the church or simply don't care about that nonsense. When you look at it that way, it's easy to see it from the perspective that "so many millennials have left the church." Which is true. But about half my former classmates (that I know of) still are part of the church, still have taken these messages to heart as adults. And this was in a NON-FUNDAMENTAL school/church in a big liberal city. I highly doubt my experience is unique. Multiply this experience all over the country. This is why you still have these numbers. It's not just the country people or the elderly. This is why you have so many millennials voting for Trump, probably still reluctantly. These aren't the Duggar-worshipping millennials. These are the ones who buy into the new hipster PNW version of proto-fundamentalism a la Audrey Roloff's brand. 

Just my opinion and experience, thought it was worth sharing. I believe Christian Nationalism is much more prevalent than a lot of people believe. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 4

3 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

Maybe it's not so much likability as it is being relatable. The candidate has to make you feel that they are one of you, that they understand you, that they are part of your group with the same goals and ideals. 

That's an interesting observation and I think that's the case in a lot of instances.  Joe reminds me of my grandpa and uncles...smiling, gift of gab, compassionate, gets riled up about injustice.  Relatable.  

But for me Hillary's demeanor isn't off putting at all.  I grew up a very few miles from where Hilary was raised.  Had I not gone to boarding school I'd have attended the same high school she did.  In fact my ex-MIL would have gone there at the same time as Hilary had she not gone to parochial school.  If you all ever met me in person you'd know I'm right at home with aloof and somewhat terse women just trying to get shit done :) 

Just for the record whatever feelings I harbor about her I did want her to win last time and absolutely think she'd have been better than Trump.  Just needed to clarify that - my personal whatever and nuanced feelings on issues go out the window where he's concerned.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

• Destiny locked this topic
  • Destiny unpinned this topic