IGNORED

2020 Election Results And Post-Election Day Discussion Part 2

GreyhoundFan

1 hour ago, Destiny said:

Well, it means that he won't threaten war on twitter, or insult foreign leaders at summits, so at this point I'll take it. 

Well, he probably will, but it wouldn't have any weight. He'd just be an unbalanced Murrican on the internet.

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, kpmom said:

I like Biden, but I'm an old fart and I get that younger voters wouldn't find him all that inspiring.

But, for those of you who voted for Biden only as a vote against Trump (and no judgement for that), did you find being able to vote for Kamala as VP somewhat inspiring?

Not really, I would have preferred someone more progressive, her history as a prosecutor doesn't sit well with me. Nor how quickly she flip-flopped on her opinion of Biden as soon as he offered her the position. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, picklepizzas said:

Nevada is what worries me. It’s a very narrow lead. 

But it looks like they have to count a lot of Las Vegas still? 

And if he gets Michigan and Wisconsin, I don't think Biden needs Nevada, right? Especially with all four electoral votes in Maine?

And as much as it seems like a pipe dream, it really does look like Georgia could flip blue once they start counting those remaining mail in votes. Crazy to think Georgia, North Carolina, and Texas were more in play for Biden than Iowa is. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

2 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

But it looks like they have to count a lot of Las Vegas still? 

And if he gets Michigan and Wisconsin, I don't think Biden needs Nevada, right? Especially with all four electoral votes in Maine?

And as much as it seems like a pipe dream, it really does look like Georgia could flip blue once they start counting those remaining mail in votes. Crazy to think Georgia, North Carolina, and Texas were more in play for Biden than Iowa is. 

Agreed on those states that are more in play for Biden than Iowa. I wonder if after this election we'll shift what we consider to be some of the traditional "swing" states.

92% of Michigan votes are now in, Biden has widened his lead slightly. It remains close but come on Michigan!

Edited by JoyfulSel
wording
  • Upvote 7

1 hour ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

If Biden wins without the Senate tho...it's good on the international stage (we can't wait for the nuke button to be passed on) but still bad for Americans thanks to the handmaiden and the alcoholic member of SCOTUS. 

You are absolutely right on all counts.  But having someone who is not in bed with dictators would be something.

And from a personal standpoint - I want to get back to a time where every single day didn't bring a new scandal or new insane tweet from the WH.  I am not like those who want to get back to being apathetic, but I'd like to follow politics without so much of the needless drama of the last four years.

I would like late night hosts to be able to make jokes about other stuff.  Not blaming them because how do you ignore his absurdity, but back to a time where media wasn't all Trump all the time.  

I would like a boring President so I can focus on actual issues.  I think we all want that and it isn't too much to ask, dammit.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 20
  • Love 3

The AP so far has called Arizona for Biden, so Twittler lost a state he won in 2016, and Nevada is leaning blue again, after going to Clinton 4 years ago. No wonder he was having such a tantrum about Nevada, as he was worried he wasn't going to win there again.

• Upvote 13
  • Thank You 1

Just now, JoyfulSel said:

Agreed on those states that are more in play for Biden than Iowa. I wonder if after this election we'll shift some of the traditional "swing" states.

92% of Michigan votes are now in, Biden has widened his lead slightly. It remains close but come on Michigan!

I heard last night if Biden took WI and MI then he doesn't need PA.  

My state is sandwiched between the two and I'm counting on my fellow midwesterners to not have shit the bed on this one.  If we stand together we can kick Indiana into the south and it can stop pretending to be one of us.

Have a splitting headache so I'm not as coherent as usual, sorry guys.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 7

The suspense is driving me crazy.  Trump has threatened to get SCOTUS involved, because of course he is, but can some legal eagle tell me who makes the call on involving SCOTUS in an election decision?

• Upvote 5

26 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

We don't even have discussions about duvets!

That’s it, I’m out of here!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 19

I want to remain hopeful regarding Biden, but I don't want to get my hopes too high.  I had no problem voting for him when he was our Senator here in Delaware (I voted for him in 96, 02, & 08 for the Senate). 

On the bright side, Witzke (the QAnon looney who had the Proud Boys working security for her) didn't win the Senate seat and the only slightly less odious Julianne Murray isn't our new governor.  

Also, we now have the first transgender state senator in the nation (Sarah McBride).  

• Upvote 17
  • Love 2

8 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Not really, I would have preferred someone more progressive, her history as a prosecutor doesn't sit well with me. Nor how quickly she flip-flopped on her opinion of Biden as soon as he offered her the position. 

I have been on record here several times about my disdain for her and her record as a prosecutor.  

I thought it was a bad choice, but I doubt she is the reason this wasn't a landslide.

• Upvote 4

Just now, ADoyle90815 said:

The AP so far has called Arizona for Biden, so Twittler lost a state he won in 2016, and Nevada is leaning blue again, after going to Clinton 4 years ago. No wonder he was having such a tantrum about Nevada, as he was worried he wasn't going to win there again.

So that means Biden has flipped three states from 2016 (New Hampshire, Maine, and Arizona) while Trump has gained no ground on a statewide level. And Biden is on track to flip two more (Wisconsin and Michigan) today. 

And Georgia and Pennsylvania are still in play. On a state level, this does look pretty good for Dems. It's not the washout we all wanted, but it's not bad. 

The movement in Texas and Ohio is the only really concerning stuff in terms of long term trends. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Giraffe said:

I’m overwhelmed this morning. Even if Biden wins, the amount of people who voted for Trump is an absolute disgrace. 

• Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 4

14 minutes ago, kpmom said:

But, for those of you who voted for Biden only as a vote against Trump (and no judgement for that), did you find being able to vote for Kamala as VP somewhat inspiring?

Yes, I love Kamala. Eta, I was going to vote for Biden anyway though so it didn’t entirely matter who he got as a running mate (which isn’t completely true, but anyway)

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

12 minutes ago, kpmom said:

Yes. Warren / Harris in any order was my dream ticket. I was glad to be able to vote for her in some capacity.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

11 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Was Jesse Ventura your Green Party Candidate? So weird. 

He served as governor under the Reform Party, founded by Perot. 

And Google has informed me that Trump ran as Reform Party in his 2000 presidential bid. I need to read up on this more. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I have been on record here several times about my disdain for her and her record as a prosecutor.  

I thought it was a bad choice, but I doubt she is the reason this wasn't a landslide.

Agreed, I think the Democrats try too hard to be "the good guys." If you look at Florida, the Republicans leaned into the merchandising, the team sport aspect, the "own the libs" bullshit, etc. I suspect a lot of those people (I don't have to suspect, watching them be interviewed on the Daily Show and knowing some IRL) they likely didn't vote regularly if at all before Trump, and they won't when he leaves. They don't actually give a shit about any of the issues. They are the people that buy into MLMs, think they will win the lottery, and love a party. If Dems wanted to win back some of those voters, they needed to simplify the messaging and come up with, like, Biden Beer Pong or something. Embarrassing, yes. 

I read somewhere that the polling thinks they underweighted gender this time around. In 2016 it was education. 

• Upvote 11

6 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

So that means Biden has flipped three states from 2016 (New Hampshire, Maine, and Arizona) while Trump has gained no ground on a statewide level. And Biden is on track to flip two more (Wisconsin and Michigan) today. 

And Georgia and Pennsylvania are still in play. On a state level, this does look pretty good for Dems. It's not the washout we all wanted, but it's not bad. 

The movement in Texas and Ohio is the only really concerning stuff in terms of long term trends. 

I grew up as a Generation Xer in a red part of Ohio. Most of my classmates were Republicans, and some stayed in state. After earning a degree from an Ohio university, I had to move to where the jobs were. I think those who would have been more blue had to move away from Ohio to get jobs, leaving Ohio to grow redder and redder.

• Upvote 11

Yes, a disgrace indeed! The sheep volunteering to be slaughtered. The past four years under DJT have been discouraging, depressing, disheartening. Hard to understand why anyone would want more. Some people go about their business uncaring that our democracy is eroded daily. Watching it unfold is torture, I can’t do it anymore. Seriously. I want out and am contemplating my options. I’m ashamed to be an American these days.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 6

11 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Thanks. I need to look into her more. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Was Jesse Ventura your Green Party Candidate? So weird. We didn't have Democrats for House or Senate run, so I voted for the Independent Candidates in those elections. Not to be confused (but I'm sure it was) with the "Alaska Independence Party" which is completely different and actually growing in numbers. 

Agree weird.  I only vaguely remembered that he went into politics after wrestling, so googled him.  He's listed as a current presidential candidate under the "Green Party of Alaska" which is apparently a different party than the national-scale Green Party?

The Green candidate on my ballot this time was Howie Hawkins.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

14 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Her record as a prosecutor has issues, it's totally true. I don't love a lot of that record either, but I based my choice on her record in the Senate. 

• Upvote 5

17 minutes ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Also, we now have the first transgender state senator in the nation (Sarah McBride).  

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

• Upvote 10

When will this election be called? Sometime today? Perhaps later this week? I'm Canadian so I'm not sure how it all works, but I've been following it all day. 

• Upvote 2

Wisconsin was just called for Biden. 

And Biden's lead in Michigan just keeps increasing. 

And I read somewhere that some people think NE-2 might be in play? Did anyone else hear this or know more about Nebraska than I do (which is nothing...). 

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

• Destiny locked this topic
  • Destiny unpinned this topic