IGNORED

Dillards 85: Ungodly Swim Suits It's a Cruel Summer

samurai_sarah

13 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

Schools around here are not letting kids gather in clumps outside to wait for rides due to Covid. Dismissal is staggered for younger kids and they are in cohorts waiting then sent out when their ride is at the door.  Notice that Israel comes out the door when it’s their turn rather than already being outside.  That’s not how it works in normal times. 

The schools in my area operate similarly to this all the time.  My kids are now in college (and beyond) but it is still done this way.  Parents have a sign in their windshield identifying their kid(s) by a code.  As each parent passes a designated spot in the pickup line, their kids are called to come outside and get into their parent's car.  Parents are not allowed to walk up to the school to pick up their child - that would slow down the dismissal process.  

Pick up and drop off lines always seemed longer in the first few weeks of school.  I think some parents like to ease their kids into the school year before sending them on the bus (which is free in my area).

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, Vivi_music said:

A thought came to mind when watching Jill's first day of school video. She talks about the car lane being almost an hour long to pick up the kids at school. And I thought to myself: ''He doesn't take the bus?'' My parents never picked me nor any of my siblings at school and we NEVER had a car lane that was that long (Canada here). Even in kindergarten. My elementary school had a special bus for kindergarteners separated from the big buses. They would drop us off in front of our houses and not at a bus stop.

So where I'm getting at is a question for Americans: Do you have to pay to use the school bus service? Or it is just a ''cultural'' thing where it is more common to drive the kids to school and pick them up afterwards?

It’s usually preferance. My oldest son is in school and a “car rider” because if I put him on the bus he’d spend an extra 30 minutes on their each way when we’re only 10 minutes when I drive him. If he wants to be a “bus rider” when he is older and has friends on the bus Im fine with it though. But he’s only 3 right now

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

Does Israel attend a private Christian school? In my state, school buses only haul to the public schools. Next state over, they haul everyone. One bus came clear from the other state to my high school, because it was the closest Catholic school to where the students lived..

Anyway,  if you can't take the city bus to school, which I did through high school, then you must be driven. (I should say, in our major metro area, riding is much safer than walking.)  So from first grade to twelfth, I drove the Four to school... and then for some, on to the beginnings of college/trade school, until a car was available for them to use to get to school.

Edited by Four is Enough
  • Upvote 1

We live in an underfunded, urban school district. Bus service for middle school and high school is only available for students living more than 1 1/2 miles from the school. Our neighborhood is in the 1 - 1 1/2 mile range. Do you know what happens when the weather is bad? Kids don’t go to school. Sometimes it’s just dangerous, single digit temperatures, ice. Most households in our area have adults working multiple jobs, there is no one to give the kids a ride to school. Sometimes it seems as if these kids are knocked down from every direction.

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 15
  • Love 5

3 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Does Israel attend a private Christian school? In my state, school buses only haul to the public schools. Next state over, they haul everyone. One bus came clear from the other state to my high school, because it was the closest Catholic school to where the students lived..

Anyway,  if you can't take the city bus to school, which I did through high school, then you must be driven. (I should say, in our major metro area, riding is much safer than walking.)  So from first grade to twelfth, I drove the Four to school... and then for some, on to the beginnings of college/trade school, until a car was available for them to use to get to school.

Public school. The best rated elementary school in Rogers, i think.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

23 minutes ago, Not that josh's mom said:

Public school. The best rated elementary school in Rogers, i think.

And I bet Derick had the area districts and individual schools scoped out prior to their purchase of a plot to have their house built. 

• Upvote 21

Dropping and picking up kids from school wasn't ''the norm'' when I was in elementary school. I don't have kids now and I went to elementary school in the 90's, in a suburban town of Montreal, in Canada. :confusion-shrug:  I know it is probably specific to my situation. I simply asked what was up with that because what @FloraDoraDolly describes sounds INSANELY FOREIGN to me. Only special education kids could ride the bus? I rode that yellow bus from age 6 to age 17. ? I have memories of the school yard filled with like 10 buses waiting for us and the students all swarming out to find our bus when school was over.

Like I explained, I even took the little kindergartener bus when I was Israel's age. My mom was quite busy working tho and her dropping me would not have been convenient. An ebil working mother she was.

I checked the transport info on the school board website I grew up in. Seems kindergarteners are elligible for transportation if they live in a 0,4 km radius or more (0.25 miles) and it is a 1,2 km radius or more (0.7 miles) for other elementary school students.

Of course, I didn't think of the Covid stituation in the US. That probably changes a lot of things right now. For now in my province, I heard that school buses are still doing their route, but they rearranged them to have less kids in the bus. Masks re mandatory for kids older than 10 and everyone has assigned places. So it probably means more school buses on the road than before. 

• Upvote 5

I am kind of shocked at how happy her first day of school video made me feel.  I was genuinely excited for them--maybe I never believed that any of them would ever attain any measure of "freedom." And this was such a huge deal. 

I am feeling quite proud of her. I hope that she can stay strong.

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Bobology said:

And I bet Derick had the area districts and individual schools scoped out prior to their purchase of a plot to have their house built. 

I totally agree with that.  I believe Derick is originally from Rogers so he would have first-hand knowledge of where the better schools are and would have planned to move accordingly to one of those districts.  In fact, based on everything going on thus far, it certainly sounds like they consciously planned to move to the neighborhood they are in and just didn't decide to move there on a whim.  Which also sounds like critical thinking to me! 

1 minute ago, HeartsAFundie said:

Edited by HeartsAFundie
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I just watched the video and can I say how thrilled I am that the children have bed times and pajamas? Jill doesn't seem to be raising her children the way she was and kudos to her for that. Their house is so peaceful compared to what she grew up with. And her teaching Sam! Alyssa Bates needs to take lessons. Keep growing Jill, keep growing and may one day all the Dillards outgrow their awful beliefs. But for now I'll take these baby steps. 

• Upvote 32
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 3

23 hours ago, Vivi_music said:

A thought came to mind when watching Jill's first day of school video. She talks about the car lane being almost an hour long to pick up the kids at school. And I thought to myself: ''He doesn't take the bus?'' My parents never picked me nor any of my siblings at school and we NEVER had a car lane that was that long (Canada here). Even in kindergarten. My elementary school had a special bus for kindergarteners separated from the big buses. They would drop us off in front of our houses and not at a bus stop.

So where I'm getting at is a question for Americans: Do you have to pay to use the school bus service? Or it is just a ''cultural'' thing where it is more common to drive the kids to school and pick them up afterwards?

My school district doesn't have busses for elementary and middle school unless you are a special needs kid in a special day program (ie not at the school near your house).  For high school there are a couple but you have to pay and they don't go everywhere, just to the neighborhood that's fairly far from the high schools.  I drove my kids to school and picked up almost every day until they were old enough to drive themselves (we are close enough to the high school that they can walk if they have to but I used to drive them most of the time since it was on the way to taking a younger kid to the elementary or middle school).  But I never had a pickup line... would just park and walk up for elementary, or park and text the kids where I was for middle and high school. 

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, Born Skeptic said:

The schools in my area operate similarly to this all the time.  My kids are now in college (and beyond) but it is still done this way.  Parents have a sign in their windshield identifying their kid(s) by a code.  As each parent passes a designated spot in the pickup line, their kids are called to come outside and get into their parent's car.  Parents are not allowed to walk up to the school to pick up their child - that would slow down the dismissal process.  

Pick up and drop off lines always seemed longer in the first few weeks of school.  I think some parents like to ease their kids into the school year before sending them on the bus (which is free in my area).

I work in small towns. One school serves two towns both under 1000 population. Most teachers live in one town or another. Your kids teacher very possibly lives in walking distance of your house. She knows you and you know her. No need for codes. Eyeballs are used. In normal times, No one walks up to get kids except PreK and K.  They have their own pick up area and parking for that purpose.  Older kids (1-3) come out and stay in a group with their grade level to wait so only one teacher has duty each day.  But that’s too many kids interacting now. My guess is that ,it being a smaller place , the usual routine at Israel’s school is similar. But it’s different for the duration of the pandemic and is going to take longer. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

On 9/4/2020 at 4:27 AM, WiseGirl said:

Keep growing Jill, keep growing and may one day all the Dillards outgrow their awful beliefs. But for now I'll take these baby steps. 

I think considering who she is and what we all expected from her a few years ago she’s actually taking pretty big steps. She’s going to therapy, limiting her quiver and sending her kids to public school! That is a lot for any Duggar and she was the golden, godly daughter that wanted to be a missionary.
She still believe many, many things I consider horribel and dangerous but honestly so does a lot of conservative people that are far from fundies. But I am a judgey heathen that by American standard is so left-wing it probably counts as extremism. 

• Upvote 30

18 hours ago, louisa05 said:

I work in small towns. One school serves two towns both under 1000 population. Most teachers live in one town or another. Your kids teacher very possibly lives in walking distance of your house. She knows you and you know her. No need for codes. Eyeballs are used. In normal times, No one walks up to get kids except PreK and K.  They have their own pick up area and parking for that purpose.  Older kids (1-3) come out and stay in a group with their grade level to wait so only one teacher has duty each day.  But that’s too many kids interacting now. My guess is that ,it being a smaller place , the usual routine at Israel’s school is similar. But it’s different for the duration of the pandemic and is going to take longer. 

You are correct.  The school is likely much larger.  But I live in a state with class size limits - no more than 18 students per class in Pre-K through grade 3.  The individual teachers know the parents, but it is not necessarily the teachers putting kids in cars.  The Safety Patrol students (grade 5 students recognized for maturity, responsibility, and good citizenship) walk the littles to their parent's car, open the door, and make sure they are buckled in.  The codes help.  Our schools are not open yet for in-person learning.  I'm sure there will be adjustments made when they transition from virtual learning back to brick and mortar school.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Born Skeptic said:

You are correct.  The school is likely much larger.  But I live in a state with class size limits - no more than 18 students per class in Pre-K through grade 3.  The individual teachers know the parents, but it is not necessarily the teachers putting kids in cars.  The Safety Patrol students (grade 5 students recognized for maturity, responsibility, and good citizenship) walk the littles to their parent's car, open the door, and make sure they are buckled in.  The codes help.  Our schools are not open yet for in-person learning.  I'm sure there will be adjustments made when they transition from virtual learning back to brick and mortar school.

In one district I work in, they have primary only schools that are K-2. So it's always teachers. Until this year, they took turns on duty at the end of the day. The other school is K-5, but would never consider giving that task to other kids. Plus it has a ton of bus riders, so it's a small group that teachers are taking out to the car line. I had kinders for a six day job last year and had a class of 17. Only 4 went to the car line. The rest went to the bus (paras take the K-1 kids) or daycare (across the street and a HS age employee came from the HS building to pick up that group and walk with them). It's pretty quick and easy for a teacher to take out four kids and get them in the right car. Each teacher does their own class, too. But I doubt that they are gathering all of them from all classes together outside right now. 

• Upvote 3

In Jill's latest picture of date night with Derick, she's got a drink next to her that looks like it might be the naughty variety.  I know logically it's probably virgin, but I'm hoping it's not.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, donnal said:

In Jill's latest picture of date night with Derick, she's got a drink next to her that looks like it might be the naughty variety.  I know logically it's probably virgin, but I'm hoping it's not.

I read on another site she confirmed it was a Pina Colada. ?

Not for sure if a screenshot is allowed but this is her response 

4158B148-C423-4803-8A5B-7BB3A59E254A.png

Edited by frugalitymom
  • Upvote 11
  • Thank You 11
  • Love 1

oooooo girl friend, first pants, then a kid in public school, now pina coladas? She's going down a dangerous road! What's next? mimosas with girls brunch?

• Upvote 26
  • Haha 1
  • Love 4

7 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

oooooo girl friend, first pants, then a kid in public school, now pina coladas? She's going down a dangerous road! What's next? mimosas with girls brunch?

One can only hope!

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 2

17 minutes ago, OyToTheVey said:

Hanging out with Amy at Dillon’s whiskey and cigars place?

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 7
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Some new Mexican restaurant from what she replied. 

Edited by frugalitymom
  • Upvote 2

I know I’ve read a comment from Derick that he doesn’t think there’s anything wrong with drinking alcohol, but he personally chooses not to imbibe. I highly doubt that Jill would choose to drink without Derick drinking too.

• Upvote 9

45 minutes ago, seashell1025 said:

someone said jill is going to therapy, is this true? That's awesome if that's the case! 

Yes, Derick said that during an interview. She has come a long way. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

They've already done that!

• Upvote 5

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked, locked, unlocked and locked this topic