IGNORED

Dillards 85: Ungodly Swim Suits It's a Cruel Summer

samurai_sarah

Carry on from here;

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

I agree. I did notice this weekend that a LOT of our friends were wearing bikinis or swim suits and they weren't rail thin. They had bellies or folds or whatever and did NOT care. So good for them. Me? I'll be over here in my swim shirt (because I'm paranoid about skin cancer etc - and because I'm not comfortable with MY body hanging out and flapping in the wind)
And as long as you aren't in the whole Victorian bathing costume with tights and pantaloons and a parasol - who the heck cares? (and if you want to wear all that - that's fine - but I do worry it's a drowning hazard... ). 

How to have a beach body: Take your body to the beach. 

• Upvote 33
  • Love 6

I liked the swim skirt she had on in her stories.  She said there that it came in a shorter length - and if I heard right she was thinking of getting the shorter one).  

Granted due to covid my getting out to the pool this year is non-existent.  

• Upvote 16

4 hours ago, Meggo said:

I agree. I did notice this weekend that a LOT of our friends were wearing bikinis or swim suits and they weren't rail thin. They had bellies or folds or whatever and did NOT care. So good for them. Me? I'll be over here in my swim shirt (because I'm paranoid about skin cancer etc - and because I'm not comfortable with MY body hanging out and flapping in the wind)
And as long as you aren't in the whole Victorian bathing costume with tights and pantaloons and a parasol - who the heck cares? (and if you want to wear all that - that's fine - but I do worry it's a drowning hazard... ). 

How to have a beach body: Take your body to the beach. 

To be fair... some people probably love going out in a Victorian swimwear! I think that at this point in our world, fundies will be wearing those frumpie swim dresses, and cool vintage, steampunk, etc wearing people wear that stuff in style and honour. Gah, now I want to get my hands into one and shock people at the beach.

Hear, hear.

3 hours ago, clueliss said:

Granted due to covid my getting out to the pool this year is non-existent.  

It always feels weird to realise that not every country and area has a pond or a lake nearby. It's very easy to have basically no one else at the beach here (Finland), just don't go in around noon and early afternoon. I've gone for an evening swim a few times and it's either been just me, or me and two other people that stay at the very other end.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 2

I liked the 1st suit she had on, I love the longer skirt, I hate my butt hanging out. I think some of the skirts with leggings underneath would be great for kayaking, rowing, boating, where you aren't planning on getting in the water but might get wet. Some of those would be nice for amusement parks with water rides too. 

@finnlassiewhere I'm at in the Midwestern US we have ponds & lakes everywhere, but you don't dare go in them to do farm chemical run off. The nitrate levels are usually so high the state has to close them down as it is too dangerous to go in. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 10
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I liked the 1st suit she had on, I love the longer skirt, I hate my butt hanging out. I think some of the skirts with leggings underneath would be great for kayaking, rowing, boating, where you aren't planning on getting in the water but might get wet. Some of those would be nice for amusement parks with water rides too. 

@finnlassiewhere I'm at in the Midwestern US we have ponds & lakes everywhere, but you don't dare go in them to do farm chemical run off. The nitrate levels are usually so high the state has to close them down as it is too dangerous to go in. 

I didn't even think of the chaffing! Yah, the shorts ones would be great for amusement parks with the water park connected or any other kind of water related activity where you do a lot of walking after getting soaked. That's brilliant. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Grace said:

I didn't even think of the chaffing! Yah, the shorts ones would be great for amusement parks with the water park connected or any other kind of water related activity where you do a lot of walking after getting soaked. That's brilliant. 

When I wore my swimdress to the amusement park, it was great after the water rides. It dried fast as opposed to the others who had on jeans etc....

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

This is heartbreaking!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 7

2 hours ago, finnlassie said:

To be fair... some people probably love going out in a Victorian swimwear! I think that at this point in our world, fundies will be wearing those frumpie swim dresses, and cool vintage, steampunk, etc wearing people wear that stuff in style and honour. Gah, now I want to get my hands into one and shock people at the beach.

Hear, hear.

I only worry about it being a drowning hazard (so many layers!!)- and possibly that you might pass out from heat. Other than that - you do you. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

8 hours ago, finnlassie said:

And as someone said in the last thread, this is a HUGE step from the older modest swimwear. I think Jill posted a pic on her story recently, or someone else of the siblings did, where she was wearing that awful, AWFUL thing. The patterns are so ugly too.

The Christian Modest wear is also a signal to other Christians, though. It's so ugly and outlandish. The entire time it's been "a thing" we've had options that they just don't want to buy because Jesus. Pretty much any of the active swimwear on Swim Outlet would be fine, and then there are rash guards and board shorts and swim shorts to add or swap out. But no, Fundies like zsu, the duggars, ect need their kids to be set apart from the geneneric mass of "kids" that might want to talk to them. 

34 minutes ago, Meggo said:

I only worry about it being a drowning hazard (so many layers!!)- and possibly that you might pass out from heat. Other than that - you do you. 

Depends on where you are, too. Lots of people go to the beach but don't want to get wet. They might want the lightweight layers to ward off sun and bugs, or it might not even be sunny. Plenty of people live near non-ideal lakes, rivers, and beaches. The ocean is cold, glacier fed lakes are deadly, and I've seen people swimming without a wetsuit at the same time people are wearing coats on shore. I have no idea where I was going with this. Just that if people want to wear Victorian bloomers to the beach, have at it. Does anyone know what they were made of? 

• Upvote 6

51 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

The Christian Modest wear is also a signal to other Christians, though. It's so ugly and outlandish. The entire time it's been "a thing" we've had options that they just don't want to buy because Jesus. Pretty much any of the active swimwear on Swim Outlet would be fine, and then there are rash guards and board shorts and swim shorts to add or swap out. But no, Fundies like zsu, the duggars, ect need their kids to be set apart from the geneneric mass of "kids" that might want to talk to them. 

Depends on where you are, too. Lots of people go to the beach but don't want to get wet. They might want the lightweight layers to ward off sun and bugs, or it might not even be sunny. Plenty of people live near non-ideal lakes, rivers, and beaches. The ocean is cold, glacier fed lakes are deadly, and I've seen people swimming without a wetsuit at the same time people are wearing coats on shore. I have no idea where I was going with this. Just that if people want to wear Victorian bloomers to the beach, have at it. Does anyone know what they were made of? 

Victorian swim costumes were usually made of wool. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

22 minutes ago, DarkAnts said:

I wear wool all the time, but I also don't holiday at the Jersey Shore, which sounds much much warmer than my "hot" days of 75 with an ocean breeze. Last year it was 100 on the 4th of July and it seemed like the entire city crammed themselves into every body of water wearing whatever they had. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Maggie Mae said:

The ocean is cold, glacier fed lakes are deadly, and I've seen people swimming without a wetsuit at the same time people are wearing coats on shore. I have no idea where I was going with this. 

Not *really* related, but: it’s the middle of winter here in Australia and a guy from my church got baptised on the weekend in the lake (ocean-fed, not glaciers of course because this IS Aus). There were definitely people standing on the shoreline in coats and jumpers while the pastor and the guy being dunked waded in in their board shorts.

Mind you, that might say more about acclimatising to weather than anything else because plenty of people overseas don’t consider 16C to be coat weather.

• Upvote 12

2 hours ago, DarkAnts said:

The legendary Australian swimmer Annette Kellermann was arrested at Boston Harbor for wearing a costume deemed to be immodest.  I think it was similar to modern tank suits.  Her compromise was to wear a one-piece that covered her arms and legs. but was still form-fitting.  Annette made a few silent films and was the first actress to appear in films nude.

Her successor as a swimming star was Esther Williams who played Annette in the biopic,  Million Dollar Mermaid.  In This Time for Keeps, Esther had to dive to the bottom of the pool and then re-surface.  Her plaid flannel suit became so waterlogged that she could not re-suface and so to keep from drowning, Esther had to un-zip her suit and surface naked.  After that experience,  she began wearing nylon suits with latex from Cole of California and modeled one for the Secretary of the Navy. He ended up ordering 50,000 suits for WAVES which is what women in the Navy were once called.  

• Upvote 16
  • Thank You 12

credit to @Maggie Mae for sharing this (carrying over from the last thread)

Spoiler

image.png.6099dcda24b6e44a7388d517ac2314ab.png

My 100% secular self would totally wear this to a pool, beach, or water park.   For fat reasons.   I'm happy for my fellow curvy girls who are comfortable in less, but i'm totally not.  Also, those shorts would be great for water slides where skin might stick. 

That's 2 separate pieces right?  I think if the shorts were like an inch or 2 shorter, that outfit would be super super cute.  ( I think my legs are ok, so I dont mind showing them off a bit, haha.)   I know Jill chose this for modesty reasons, but what I think is nice about this, is that it dosent scream (to me) I"M WEARING THIS TO OBVIOUSLY COVER UP MY INSECURITIES."  Those of you who were buying bathing suits made for curvy women in the 80s and 90s know what I mean.  Not modest wear stuff, but the suits made for plus size women.   Ugh, the obviously placed giant frills.  So. bad. 

Edited by The Mother Dust
  • Upvote 15

I thought all the suits Jill showed were cute.  I am glad she is branching out and keeping her kids cool this summer.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, The Mother Dust said:

credit to @Maggie Mae for sharing this (carrying over from the last thread)

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.6099dcda24b6e44a7388d517ac2314ab.png

My 100% secular self would totally wear this to a pool, beach, or water park.   For fat reasons.   I'm happy for my fellow curvy girls who are comfortable in less, but i'm totally not.  Also, those shorts would be great for water slides where skin might stick. 

That's 2 separate pieces right?  I think if the shorts were like an inch or 2 shorter, that outfit would be super super cute.  ( I think my legs are ok, so I dont mind showing them off a bit, haha.)   I know Jill chose this for modesty reasons, but what I think is nice about this, is that it dosent scream (to me) I"M WEARING THIS TO OBVIOUSLY COVER UP MY INSECURITIES."  Those of you who were buying bathing suits made for curvy women in the 80s and 90s know what I mean.  Not modest wear stuff, but the suits made for plus size women.   Ugh, the obviously placed giant frills.  So. bad. 

Jill did say in her stories that the DO have shorts that are not as long.

• Thank You 1

As a middle aged woman with a major family history of skin cancer who goes to the beach a lot, I've been going back and forth on swim capris.  I buy long sleeved swim shirts for myself and the kids and I wear a bikini top underneath to keep things in place.  At the beach we don't do more than wade in the water since there usually isn't a lifeguard where we go.  I wore leggings to the beach last night since it was cool enough and I needed to run into the store on the way home.  It felt great not having to put sunblock on my legs.  However, I haven't gotten around to buying them since I don't think I'll ever wear them into the pool.  I prefer something quick drying.  And if we swim it's usually in the heat of the day.  I can't hate on Jill for this.  She's trying to balance how she was raised with how she wants to branch out.  And she's getting sponsored for it at the same time. 

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

Honestly, this is probably the best sponsorship she's ever gotten, I dunno, she doesn't seem cringy at all presenting the products.

• Upvote 24
  • I Agree 4

30 minutes ago, JMO said:

As a middle aged woman with a major family history of skin cancer who goes to the beach a lot, I've been going back and forth on swim capris.  I buy long sleeved swim shirts for myself and the kids and I wear a bikini top underneath to keep things in place.  At the beach we don't do more than wade in the water since there usually isn't a lifeguard where we go.  I wore leggings to the beach last night since it was cool enough and I needed to run into the store on the way home.  It felt great not having to put sunblock on my legs.  However, I haven't gotten around to buying them since I don't think I'll ever wear them into the pool.  I prefer something quick drying.  And if we swim it's usually in the heat of the day.  I can't hate on Jill for this.  She's trying to balance how she was raised with how she wants to branch out.  And she's getting sponsored for it at the same time. 

Agreed - go Jill. I don't expect her to be rockin' a bikini anytime soon - but this is a HUGE step up from being covered from below your knees up to, and including, your collar bone. She can play with her boys, she can be in the pool, she can feel comfortable - go you.

• Upvote 16
  • Love 2

30 minutes ago, Kelsey said:

Love the "whole bottle of 70spf" - MY PEOPLE! 
I told my kid this morning (arguing about sunscreen - my kid is even paler than I am) that when he is 50 and doesn't look like shoe leather and has lost part of an ear to skin cancer like Grandpa - he can thank me. 

• Upvote 7

20 minutes ago, Meggo said:

Love the "whole bottle of 70spf" - MY PEOPLE! 
I told my kid this morning (arguing about sunscreen - my kid is even paler than I am) that when he is 50 and doesn't look like shoe leather and has lost part of an ear to skin cancer like Grandpa - he can thank me. 

My only hint of a tan is my freckles otherwise I am pasty white (or lobster red).

Unfortunately when I was growing up, my parents (and maybe people in general) gave no fucks about sunscreen so I have had tons (native Floridian) of very bad, blistering sunburns before i became an adult and could buy my own sunscreen.

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Kelsey said:

My only hint of a tan is my freckles otherwise I am pasty white (or lobster red).

Unfortunately when I was growing up, my parents (and maybe people in general) gave no fucks about sunscreen so I have had tons (native Floridian) of very bad, blistering sunburns before i became an adult and could buy my own sunscreen.

YES. 
I start out as pasty white, go BEET red for a while - and then complain because it hurts, it itches, I know better - and then I'm back to pasty white again. So let's just skip that middle "beet red, complain" part and stay pasty white!!

My parents didn't sunscreen either - so California desert, East Coast, Midwest - no sunscreen to be had. But the worst sunburn I ever got - was in Scotland of all places. So bad that my face blistered. That was in 1996 and I can get a facial now (covid not withstanding) and they can STILL see the damage. So now I'm a bit of a freak about sun protection and I'm totally fine with that. You need sunscreen above 50? C'mon over. I've gotcha covered. I don't buy anything under 50. 

My son is hanging out with Daddy today - outside - I call every two hours to remind about sunscreen. 

• Upvote 8

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked, locked, unlocked and locked this topic