IGNORED

Carlin, Evan, and Layla Rae 8: Vlogging On YouTube

GreyhoundFan

6 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

Dogs want to do the right thing they just don’t always know how.

That’s it in a nutshell, really! Not blaming the poor puppy at all, but natural dog behaviour needs a bit of adjustment when they live with humans, and that goes doubly for very small humans. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

3 hours ago, snickerz said:

In 6 or 8 months we'll be reading a sad story about how they had to rehome their dog because it was biting Layla.

That's a more generous time frame than I'd give them. More like 2-3 months. I doubt they'd even announce that they had rehomed the dog- she would just slowly stop appearing in their videos and on their social media, and after a few months of comments asking where she went Carlin would reply to one of them saying that she "lives on a farm now" or something like that.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Nothing if not critical said:

That’s it in a nutshell, really! Not blaming the poor puppy at all, but natural dog behaviour needs a bit of adjustment when they live with humans, and that goes doubly for very small humans. 

And triply when both the small human and the dog are used as props. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 5

12 hours ago, indianabones said:

That's a more generous time frame than I'd give them. More like 2-3 months. I doubt they'd even announce that they had rehomed the dog- she would just slowly stop appearing in their videos and on their social media, and after a few months of comments asking where she went Carlin would reply to one of them saying that she "lives on a farm now" or something like that.

Because my girls are so allergy sensitive and so am I (right now is hell), I am somewhat astounded that they bought a dog and brought it to a home with a baby who has had breathing issues, including apnea. While Layla might not have allergies, her consistent issues with rashes, breathing issues, etc. indicates there might be an issue there. I would be very careful at introducing animals, new textiles, soaps, plants, and the like into the home until they knew for sure what were triggers for her. 

But this is Carlin and her requirements are camera ready. Even that is iffy. Yesterday her instastory was her losing the car keys. 

Edited by rebeccawriter01
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

55 minutes ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

Because my girls are so allergy sensitive and so am I (right now is hell), I am somewhat astounded that they bought a dog and brought it to a home with a baby who has had breathing issues, including apnea. While Layla might not have allergies, her consistent issues with rashes, breathing issues, etc. indicates there might be an issue there. I would be very careful at introducing animals, new textiles, soaps, plants, and the like into the home until they knew for sure what were triggers for her. 

But this is Carlin and her requirements are camera ready. Even that is iffy. Yesterday her instastory was her losing the car keys. 

Izzy doesn't shed and is supposedly hypoallergenic, so I'll at least give them that.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, indianabones said:

Izzy doesn't shed and is supposedly hypoallergenic, so I'll at least give them that.

all. dogs. shed.

• Upvote 5
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 4

4 hours ago, HereticHick said:

all. dogs. shed.

Nah they really don't. Owned multiple non-shedding breeds like 'Oodles and Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers, and truly, I shed more than they do. I never found any of their hairs ever on anything.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, indianabones said:

My doctor and the girls' pediatrician, as well as the Mayo Clinic, would challenge that. In their words, "There's no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog breed, although some individual dogs may cause fewer allergy symptoms than others."

Yes, there are some that are easier on allergy sufferers, but I certainly wouldn't risk that with a baby who cannot speak up and say how she is feeling.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

12 hours ago, FrumpyAtheist said:

Nah they really don't. Owned multiple non-shedding breeds like 'Oodles and Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers, and truly, I shed more than they do. I never found any of their hairs ever on anything.

OK, I'll rephrase that. All mammals shed. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eyeroll 1

On 3/11/2021 at 3:08 PM, indianabones said:

I have this breed of dog and I literally just picked up bits of his hair this morning. They do shed, trust me.

Also no dog is truly hypoallergenic.

• Upvote 5
  • Move Along 1
  • I Agree 1

On 3/11/2021 at 9:14 PM, FrumpyAtheist said:

Really? I had a standard poodle for all of his life and while he did shed less than short-haired dog, he DID shed. It wasn't the same type of shedding has most dogs, that is true. Most of the time, I'd find a little hair ball of his here and there. It didn't stick to clothes or furniture, it was just laying there on the floor and I would pick it up. Some hair balls also shed when I used to brush him.

I had a dalmatian mix way long ago and he would find little short white hair everywhere. Furniture, clothes, floor, rugs, etc. Poodle fur won't stick to furniture, rugs or clothing, so I guess for an allergic person, it's much better.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

We have a doodle mix.  She doesn’t really shed right after she’s been groomed, but as her coat gets longer I’ll find hair balls on the floor and rug.  She doesn’t shed like a regular dog with hair everywhere, but clumps of hair, yes.  It’s easier to clean for sure, and she doesn’t aggravate my husband’s allergies, so that’s a good thing. 

• Upvote 7

Ok BEC here but I just can’t get behind this look. All I can think is chilly breeze on a bare chest. That baby needs a shirt on. I personally think it would look more put together and cute also. If it’s cool enough for a cardi it is cool enough for a shirt. 
One positive though, aren’t baby leg fat rolls the most delicious thing ever??!!!!  Ohhhhh so cute. 

C0A05602-76E2-4E16-A48B-798A6929CB2E.png

• Upvote 8
  • WTF 3
  • I Agree 9
  • Thank You 1

On 3/10/2021 at 11:48 PM, Nothing if not critical said:

All of the above - this is a biting accident waiting to happen. Plus, a hygiene disaster - having both Layla and the puppy drool over the toy and then hand it back to the baby? I'm not a germaphobe, but that's just disgusting to me. Dogs sniff and lick everything, and they do get worms and other parasites, which I wouldn't want my baby to ingest.

And yes, I've had dogs all my life. I love dogs, I really do. But I've always been careful to wash my hands between touching them and touching food, and I hate having them lick my face. I'd be even more careful with a baby.

There is some evidence that having a pet as a baby helps children avoid developing allergies, likely by exposing them to germs. Layla might be slightly too old (it's <1 year iirc) but she's so close to that I think I'd probably let the dog slobber all over her just in case.

• Upvote 6

19 minutes ago, wendy-sparkles said:

There is some evidence that having a pet as a baby helps children avoid developing allergies, likely by exposing them to germs. Layla might be slightly too old (it's <1 year iirc) but she's so close to that I think I'd probably let the dog slobber all over her just in case.

The germs aren't my main worry - I grew up in the country, and I'm all in favour of letting kids eat some dirt on occasion. But with dogs, you have the risk of worms and parasites, and that's where I draw the line. Your dog will go out and lick other dogs' butts and then come back and lick your child's face - no thanks!

I do realize not everyone feels the same. But for me, personally, dogs and toddlers don't mix well, even though I adore both.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

Just now, Nothing if not critical said:

The germs aren't my main worry - I grew up in the country, and I'm all in favour of letting kids eat some dirt on occasion. But with dogs, you have the risk of worms and parasites, and that's where I draw the line. Your dog will go out and lick other dogs' butts and then come back and lick your child's face - no thanks!

I do realize not everyone feels the same. But for me, personally, dogs and toddlers don't mix well, even though I adore both.

haha worms and parasites are one of the huge things we're apparently lacking according to the "old friends" version of the hygiene hypothesis! And it's not just allergies they're supposed to help us avoid but possibly lots of other diseases like MS and some autoimmune conditions. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, wendy-sparkles said:

haha worms and parasites are one of the huge things we're apparently lacking according to the "old friends" version of the hygiene hypothesis! And it's not just allergies they're supposed to help us avoid but possibly lots of other diseases like MS and some autoimmune conditions. 

I'd rather avoid worms, thank you very much. 
https://www.petsandparasites.org/dog-owners/roundworms/:

"Can humans be harmed by roundworms?

Roundworms do pose a significant risk to humans. Contact with contaminated soil or dog feces can result in human ingestion and infection. Roundworm eggs may accumulate in significant numbers in the soil where pets deposit feces. Once infected, the worms can cause eye, lung, heart and neurologic signs in people."

see also here: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/tapeworm/symptoms-causes/syc-20378174

Edited by Nothing if not critical
  • Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Nothing if not critical said:

I'd rather avoid worms, thank you very much. 
https://www.petsandparasites.org/dog-owners/roundworms/:

"Can humans be harmed by roundworms?

Roundworms do pose a significant risk to humans. Contact with contaminated soil or dog feces can result in human ingestion and infection. Roundworm eggs may accumulate in significant numbers in the soil where pets deposit feces. Once infected, the worms can cause eye, lung, heart and neurologic signs in people."

see also here: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/tapeworm/symptoms-causes/syc-20378174

I mean, that's fine? It's probably not advisable to intentionally try to acquire parasites unless directed to by a medical professional (some worms are being used as an experimental therapy I believe), I was just trying to make the point that the health consequences to Layla have a decent chance of being just as or even more likely good than bad.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 1

1 hour ago, wendy-sparkles said:

I mean, that's fine? It's probably not advisable to intentionally try to acquire parasites unless directed to by a medical professional (some worms are being used as an experimental therapy I believe), I was just trying to make the point that the health consequences to Layla have a decent chance of being just as or even more likely good than bad.

And I was just trying to make the point that I personally find worms disgusting and a health hazard and would not want to expose my baby to them. Using them in order to possibly avoid allergies is a tad too crunchy for me, so I guess I'm old-fashioned that way. 
But as I said, I know that not everyone feels the same. If people think it's an acceptable risk (and Carlin and Evan clearly do, if they even think about it), that's up to them.

Edited by Nothing if not critical
  • Upvote 1

Are there seriously people who think parasitic infections are salutary? Some amount of bacterial/fungal flora, yes. Parasites, no. There are no human health benefits to parasitic infections and many negative health consequences. There's a reason we deworm dogs and cats and livestock.

• Upvote 8

I'm a veterinarian and I always warn parents about worms because roundworms can cause blindness in children. I don't want that on my conscience (or a lawsuit). Parasites causing stomach upset or skin lesions doesn't bother me anywhere near as much. I think it's actually somewhat likely I have some intestinal parasites from travel but see no reason to get tested unless I have a real issue. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease at 18 and (long story short) no longer need medicine for it and never had a recurrence after a surgery for it. I had shortly after traveled to rural Ecuador and caught a heck of a GI issue that lingered for about 5 months. There are studies in people with Crohn's experimentally infected with whipworms whose clinical signs resolved. There are risks and benefits, I like to think if I did pick up a parasite they're rewarding me for being a good host.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 4

There are also leeches used to drain blood from hematomas and maggots that eat dead tissue. (Beside the point though; you're not going to get either of those from your dog!)

• Upvote 5

On 3/15/2021 at 5:17 AM, wendy-sparkles said:

Yeah, but that can be accomplished without actually owning a dog. Maybe it's personal bias because my family had animals before I was born and within a week they all had to go because my animal dander allergy (the... skin flakes) is so severe my eyes swelled shut and my airways were compromised. I'm also allergic to a filler ingredient used in compounding most antihistamines, so that's fun...

But, not being able to have pets because of allergies sucks, but not as much as parents who prioritize photo-ops over their child's breathing concerns.

• Upvote 6

Sometimes I feel like I'm 14 inside. Other times I realize I'm turned into an prim church lady. Looking at Layla's bare-chested Sunday outfit has my disapproving old lady Methodist voice saying "Mercy! Put a shirt on that child! You are in the House of the Lord!"?

• Upvote 19
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Sometimes I feel like I'm 14 inside. Other times I realize I'm turned into an prim church lady. Looking at Layla's bare-chested Sunday outfit has my disapproving old lady Methodist voice saying "Mercy! Put a shirt on that child! You are in the House of the Lord!"?

LOL- going from a Catholic Church to a UU Fellowship, I’ve had to change what I view as acceptable church behavior. I guess it was easier to go from a more formal church setting to a much looser one.

• Upvote 4

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic