IGNORED

Carlin, Evan, and Layla Rae 8: Vlogging On YouTube

GreyhoundFan

3 hours ago, Mom to Nell said:

I went back and checked. At the time she posted it was 10:00, which was the reason for my comment. I don't post on IG so I forget the lag time (especially if you are JRod and weeks can go by!). On the picture however, the time stamp was 8:08, so I guess not so late. The other thing I thought at the time was Carlin had put her in the box and then pretended to be surprised to see her in there for PICTURES! and it back fired (sort of) when Layla fell over.

They mention in their day in the life that they keep Layla up later (9:30 I think) on Tuesday and Thursday because Evan has school, and he wouldn’t see Layla at all otherwise. No snark from me. If the child deals well with that flexibility, I can totally see that working and being a great solution, and I understand a parent wanting to see their kid.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3

On 3/28/2021 at 4:05 AM, tanba said:

They mention in their day in the life that they keep Layla up later (9:30 I think) on Tuesday and Thursday because Evan has school, and he wouldn’t see Layla at all otherwise. No snark from me. If the child deals well with that flexibility, I can totally see that working and being a great solution, and I understand a parent wanting to see their kid.

Interesting that Evan has school. Did he finish his electrician studies?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Interesting that Evan has school. Did he finish his electrician studies?

He is in an aprenticeship so he has both school and work. In their "day in the life" video he records a bit in the classroom. They are doing practical stuff, not lectures, thats why it cant be online despite Covid.

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 5

April fools day is coming up. I wonder if Carlin will do another tasteless fake pregnancy announcement. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

25 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Well, they apparently had a backyard photo shoot yesterday, so you may be in luck!  https://www.instagram.com/p/CNAqHUihB9S/

Not that I'm a fashion expert by any means, but I truly do not understand her choices in clothing Layla

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5

So.... maybe this is just me being an un-hip semi out of touch interwebs user, but Carlin's latest post looks to me like she put playboy bunny emojis on a post with Layla. Arrow added by me to show what I'm asking about, but the rest of the picture is just a screengrab of their public post. 

Are those what they are? If so ---- I struggle to see how that's congruent with their professed faith parameters. If not /inserts foot in mouth/ 

carlin.png

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TuringMachine said:

Not that I'm a fashion expert by any means, but I truly do not understand her choices in clothing Layla

That makes two of us. At first, I thought it was just one or two outfits I disliked, but I’ve come to the conclusion I just hate her taste in children’s clothing. I really hate the frequent bare chest; she never looks appropriately dressed for the weather. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 15

FYI you could win a coffee date with her. She is picking five people so head to her page. ? also Layla is her favorite child. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, postscript said:

That makes two of us. At first, I thought it was just one or two outfits I disliked, but I’ve come to the conclusion I just hate her taste in children’s clothing. I really hate the frequent bare chest; she never looks appropriately dressed for the weather. 

I agree. I see Layla wearing things that I consider... not really appropriate? I hate the overalls with bare chest in the winter. It's not my favourite in summer either, but at least it's cool.

In the outfit from yesterday, Layla was wearing bloomers. Bloomers are cute, but they're not supposed to be the bottom half of an outfit on their own: they're meant to be worn under short dresses as a public-facing diaper cover or modesty layer for active children (bloomers are great for monkey bars or somersaults!) Carlin also puts Layla in tights a lot, but not the kind that are leggings: she's putting her in the kind of tights meant to be worn, again, under dresses and not as a stand-alone garment. 

None of this is exactly going to be the fall of civilization: Layla is a child, as long as she's warm and happy, who cares? I would fully endorse her running around naked, as long as those pictures didn't end up on the internet. But I do think it might be one of those tiny things that shows where the Bates girls were raised with a disconnect between them and the world.

More important: Carlin's Instagram stories today showing the Bates women getting their feet done at a spa. She and Kelly are wearing masks, but as she pans around the store you see a couple of Bates girls clap their arms over their noses to hide their maskless faces and giggle. By the next story they've given up the pretense of masks and are frankly walking out with no masks on. It's super super rude and it's putting not themselves, but the spa workers at risk.

• Upvote 18

Look I’m a 30 year old millennial mom who loves Instagram and all the things but it still makes me giggle when influencers only buy their children items that fit into the color palette of their Instagram grid. What are we doing, people? Why is this such a thing. It’s too much and I find it very funny.

I was actually listening to a podcast where they were discussing a popular influencer who had her children paint a muted beige and brown rainbow picture and literally took all of the color from the rainbow so that it fit her aesthetic. 

FB9C269D-252E-41B2-9E48-04692D04576F.png

• Upvote 17
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, Seculardaisy said:

Look I’m a 30 year old millennial mom who loves Instagram and all the things but it still makes me giggle when influencers only buy their children items that fit into the color palette of their Instagram grid. What are we doing, people? Why is this such a thing. It’s too much and I find it very funny.

I was actually listening to a podcast where they were discussing a popular influencer who had her children paint a muted beige and brown rainbow picture and literally took all of the color from the rainbow so that it fit her aesthetic. 

FB9C269D-252E-41B2-9E48-04692D04576F.png

That’s a very beige Easter basket. I remember them as being full of bright colors and candy, and some of those items look more interesting to Carlin than Layla. Does Layla really care about sunglasses? Is that nail polish in the foreground? Where are the little toys, the plush rabbit or chick, the chocolate eggs? 

• Upvote 18

It’s the beige/dust colored flamingo for me. I hope it’s just the filter that is ripping the color from the flamingo.

• Upvote 10
  • Move Along 1

I feel like if she'd bought Layla all sorts of plastic junk and cheap toys she'd be getting flamed on here for that. Babies do not need chocolate or single use plastic toys. You may not like her color scheme but buying things that are practical (to Carlin, anyway. Nail polish for babies makes me sad) doesn't seem worth snarking on.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, Seculardaisy said:

It’s the beige/dust colored flamingo for me. I hope it’s just the filter that is ripping the color from the flamingo.

The Bate girls always use a ton of filters on their Instagram so I wouldn't be surprised if the basket is a bit more colorful IRL. I suspect the water bottle in the background is a more vivid hot pink/fuschia.

• Upvote 6

I usually like the items of clothing Carlin puts on Layla but not together. It always feels like she is missing at least one item of clothing which makes it look very messy.

But baby looks happy so that is the most important.

• Upvote 8

You know a plush bunny or chick isn't as Instagram ready as a live one, so at least she didn't include that.

Also, a toddler who is still long enough to paint their nails? That seems optimistic!

• Upvote 1

On 4/1/2021 at 4:19 PM, FrumpyAtheist said:

I feel like if she'd bought Layla all sorts of plastic junk and cheap toys she'd be getting flamed on here for that. Babies do not need chocolate or single use plastic toys. You may not like her color scheme but buying things that are practical (to Carlin, anyway. Nail polish for babies makes me sad) doesn't seem worth snarking on.

It is piggy paint, which is a pretty safe brand. I paint my daughter’s nails sometimes and have since she was about Layla age because she would see me do it and want to copy it. Colour scheme aside, it is a pretty decent easter basket full of stuff that will actually get used. 

On 4/1/2021 at 8:40 PM, Vivi_music said:

The Bate girls always use a ton of filters on their Instagram so I wouldn't be surprised if the basket is a bit more colorful IRL. I suspect the water bottle in the background is a more vivid hot pink/fuschia.

I like the color in the filter, but you are right, a Google search shows that the bunny on the book is brown and the water bottle is more of a dark bubble gum pink. 

• Upvote 4

@Jigsaw3  having your child run around in tights INSIDE in Winter is definitely a big thing here. They give more room for movement than jeans and go well under trousers or in a snowsuit if you go outside. You would most definitely see at least 2/3 of children running around that in a nursery. Of course some use them as part of the outfit (under skirts of dresses) but when it’s really cold they are mostly another warming layer but you wouldn’t take the tights off and trousers and socks on inside (both would definitely be too warm) but just remove the trousers.

@postscript I disagree. The sunglasses are a surprisingly responsible choice (even though probably without a high UVA/B/C protection) and they can be fun for children. My mother bought some for my daughter when she was one. She is still obsessed and demands them when it is sunny. She is not an overly girly girl (yet or maybe not ever, we will see) but she loves those glasses. And toddlers in sunglasses have such a dramatic look, it’s hilarious. Like an old, eccentric Hollywood diva.

I actually think this is a pretty well done Easter basket on their part. If they do gifts with family she will probably get the odd toy anyway and she will not remember or care if she got it from her parents or someone else.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

Latest video shows them taking Izzy to the vet. She's fully vaccinated. A couple of of days later they had to take Layla to the doctor. She also had to get a couple of vaccinations. Also said they have an appointment in a couple of weeks for the eye doctor about Layla's eye. Layla said Izzy for the time. Oh and Even got his glasses.

• Upvote 8

LOL I'm the millennial mom buying things for my baby that fits my own taste in colors. High contrast and many tones doesn't mean something needs to be the bright primary colors. And my baby goes outside everyday and sees a wide range of bright "natural" colors in the "wild." We have colorful books that we keep away on a bookshelf too. As a teacher I also learned that you don't need bright distracting colors for a learning environment anyways. I also prefer wooden or knitted toys to plastic toys . . .the plastic ones collect dust/candle soot more easily and also aren't as heavy. I like the feel of wooden toys for heaviness/durability. I really can't judge the Bates girls for their color schemes when it comes to baby toys/clothes. Developmentally appropriate toys often have to do with the ACTIONS the baby is doing with the object, and the cause/effect logic they develop, not the colors themselves (unless you are trying to teach colors specifically). 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

The muted, neutral colors of today’s baby goods are the 1960s version of yellow, green, baby blue and pink. Mark my words, in 25 years it will be some other color trend, maybe black and white?

• Upvote 7

I guess the footage in that video on Friday is from the previous week like Alyssa's is. Per Carlin's IG stories, Layla appointment was today. I guess they dilated her eyes. It sounds like her eye had gotten much better and didn't need to be drained.

• Upvote 4

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic