IGNORED

Waiting for Prince/Princess Charming: Unmarried Fundies 8

Bethella

17 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

I would never want a crowd of people watching my first intimate moment with anyone - I was with a crowd with mine, although not right in front of them. I think the first kiss at the wedding is a humiliating thing to endure. Ashley was absolutely uncomfortable and very child-like in her embarassment. It's normal for first kisses to be embarassing. Mine was not humiliating, but I turned and walked away and would not look at him the whole rest of the day. (I was 14, the summer before 9th grade, we were at the public pool). It was kind of hard because we were all in a big group but I know the blushing was only not visible because of the sunburn. It took several days for me to talk to him again. It wasn't shame - it was embarassment at such intimacy that I'd never had before. We were with a bunch of people and while the kiss was away from them, I knew they all knew. 

We ended up "dating" as innocent 14 year olds who don't drive and live outside each other's neighborhoods can do. We went to different high schools so after a couple of months it just faded away. 

I had graduated high school by the time I had my first real kiss. I’d never had a boyfriend before him. I was sitting down at the time and I was so nervous and overwhelmed with emotions that I couldn’t even feel my legs! I was so embarrassed that I couldn’t feel my legs. We were completely alone but I was still embarrassed that I was so overwhelmed by my first kiss. It wasn’t a bad or awkward kiss that I remember since the person I kissed had plenty of practice. But if anyone had witnessed it, I would have acted even worse than Ashley.

• Upvote 11

I had my first kiss at 18. It was pretty intense. I remember he wanted to have sex. He knew I was a virgin but I told him I wasn’t ready yet. He also didn’t know that was my first kiss because I was embarrassed to be 18 and never been kissed, didn’t want people knowing that. I remember he acted like a dick because I wouldn’t have sex with him so I’m glad I didn’t end up losing my virginity to him. But even after we kissed, I remember being mortified a couple days later seeing him on campus. I had that natural embarrassment. I can totally understand why Ashley reacted the way she reacted. If I were fundie I would’ve been worse. 

• Upvote 10

Emmanuel Sanders has been in a relationship for the last six months with someone named Ann Caden Oliver. In general, the family seems to have drifted a little more fundie-lite aside from (?) Noah and Dorothy.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

I thought the way Noah & Dorothy Sanders handled the first kiss was the best (for fundie standards), where she dropped the parasol she was carrying to cover their faces.  

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 8

I got married last March. We're not religious and had been living together for 4 years already. We only had a quick peck on the lips, because I was embaressed to go full on kissing in front of a crowd. So I can totally imagine those no-touch couples feeling awkward about it. 

Edited by Marly
spelling
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

There was another video at the reception. They were cake cutting and exchanged a more playful kiss where she looked much less awkward and like she was having more fun. Echoing others on here, I think the first kiss in front of all her family and church community was probably just uncomfortable for her. My first kiss (at 18!) was certainly awkward, and we were alone.

Good for Jessa and Ben making that a private moment.

• Upvote 15

Catching up with this thread reminds me that my first kiss actually was in front of a crowd. I was 12 years old and it was at a school dance. Somehow, a rumor had gone around that my boyfriend was going to kiss me, so there were a dozen or so people gawking at us during a slow dance... and we did it! I can't remember how/if the crowd reacted, but I was pretty overwhelmed for at least a few hours.

I'm clearly no fundie, and honestly, if I could do it again I would do it without the crowd. I don't regret the guy (still a good friend, actually) or how young I was, but I regret being watched like that.

Out of the fundie examples I've seen, I definitely like the way Jessa and Ben did it best. More so than the kiss, I can see how it was probably romantic for them just to be alone in person for the first time.

• Upvote 9

I felt for her for being embarrassed at having such a human reaction to her first kiss. I wish she felt she had the choice to have a private first kiss... just like I wish she’d respect all woman’s choices with their bodies. I found their body language between hymn one and two where they’re not holding hands and barely making eye contact super weird though. Not your normal fundie hand holding nightmare. I was also creeping the engagement photos and I don’t know if the  photographer bumped up the lighting or something but the centre stone in the engagement ring looks a lot bigger in those photos  then the announcement photo. 

• Upvote 8

30 minutes ago, Noquiver said:

I felt for her for being embarrassed at having such a human reaction to her first kiss. I wish she felt she had the choice to have a private first kiss... just like I wish she’d respect all woman’s choices with their bodies. I found their body language between hymn one and two where they’re not holding hands and barely making eye contact super weird though. Not your normal fundie hand holding nightmare. I was also creeping the engagement photos and I don’t know if the  photographer bumped up the lighting or something but the centre stone in the engagement ring looks a lot bigger in those photos  then the announcement photo. 

Agree on the super awkward body language, even before the kiss. Maybe it's just the camera angle, but he looked like he was leaning back from her for most of the ceremony. I hope it was just nerves, but he seemed so tuned out of the whole thing, which is really not the vibe I would want from my husband on our wedding day!

I think it's a completely different ring. Announcement photos looks like a round diamond with kind of a thick band, engagement and all photos after looks like a larger, princess or emerald cut diamond with a thinner band. Maybe he proposed with a family ring and then they picked out something together that was more her style? Not a terribly uncommon thing to do. 

• Upvote 6

I love how seeing a collarbone isn’t modest but the dress can leave no imagination to the ass and it’s a-ok

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 4

4 hours ago, viii said:

I love how seeing a collarbone isn’t modest but the dress can leave no imagination to the ass and it’s a-ok

Ashley never followed the same modesty standards as the Duggars and Bates. She wears jeans, shorts, and has been known to show a collar bone or two in the past. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

35 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

Ashley never followed the same modesty standards as the Duggars and Bates. She wears jeans, shorts, and has been known to show a collar bone or two in the past. 

She even wears a tank top and shorts to the beach. 

• Upvote 5

It must be very awkward to go from not really being able to show each other affection to suddenly having to put on a "romantic show" in front of your family. I don't blame him for not really looking that interested at the wedding. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

She doesn't need that sort of modesty because her dad "really has been the guardian and protector" of her heart (as per her instagram)?

• Disgust 7
  • Haha 3

In the Bontrager thread it’s been deduced that Denver is in a relationship with Praise Helferich (Allison’s sister-in-law). I expect they’ll announce an engagement soon and will marry later this year, maybe early 2021.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2020 at 8:07 PM, Triplet3 said:

In the Bontrager thread it’s been deduced that Denver is in a relationship with Praise Helferich (Allison’s sister-in-law). I expect they’ll announce an engagement soon and will marry later this year, maybe early 2021.

I don't believe that anyone knows that for sure

• Upvote 4

Based on comments from the shows, Denver is definitely seeing someone. We just don’t know who. I think it’s very likely to be a Helferich girl but we have been surprised before. So it’s still a possibility that it’s someone else. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

I agree with @JermajestyDuggar.

I'm fully in the camp that Denver and Praise are a thing, but it's not verified and so @HereticHick shouldn't add them to the list. We'll get actual confirmation soon enough, most likely.

And honestly, I hope we do because they are a positively striking couple, awful beliefs aside. Plus, I worry about Allison all by herself in Minnesota. It would be nice for her to have someone around, even if it is her ex-boyfriend ?

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 9

11 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

Her name was Missy Johnson. It's tagged in one of the comments.

Looks like she's a registered nurse. Engagement photo and wedding photo show non-fundie levels of modesty. No tshirt dresses. But I'm not that familiar with the Beasleys to know if that's a break from past standards. Family seems happy with them, judging by photos.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, EmainMacha said:

Looks like she's a registered nurse. Engagement photo and wedding photo show non-fundie levels of modesty. No tshirt dresses. But I'm not that familiar with the Beasleys to know if that's a break from past standards. Family seems happy with them, judging by photos.

The Beasleys were standard-issue fundies 10+ years ago (though the sons went to college, so they weren't as extreme as some). I have not followed them in recent years, so I can't say what their standards are these days. Missy certainly doesn't appear typically fundie.

• Thank You 4

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • Bethella unpinned this topic