IGNORED

Coronavirus

indianabones

2 hours ago, Kak said:

Turned out to be regular pneumonia; she's responding well to antibiotics. I can't tell you how unexpected that result was. You never know. 

Thank you for that ray of hope! I realized I may have overreacted.  My sis has been plagued by terrible sinus infections for years, so hoping that it isn't coronavirus and they went to the hospital just in case.  No updates this morning, so hoping that is good news. 

I came over to post this excellent op-ed.  

The Road to Coronavirus Hell Was Paved by Evangelicals 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 5

I did something horrible. I don’t know if I will ever forgive myself.

My mother is 73, she is my main source of support and I love her a lot. She gets the social distancing thing but her boyfriend, (B), doesn’t. She was going with him on a trip 2 hours away to see the outside of a house he’d bought and wouldn’t listen to me about staying home, everyone has to stay home, etc. So I dig into everything I knew about her and all of her insecurities and called her a coward. I said she never stood up to men starting with her father and I implied that I would hurt myself if she caught the virus. I threatened her because begging didn’t work. And.....it worked. She stayed home. But I’m lucky I’m an atheist because I’m pretty sure I’d be going to hell right now.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2
  • Love 5

Warren Throckmorton excoriates the whole Old people, sacrifice yourself for the economy in "Is There a Pro-Life Call to Death?" and eejit writer R.R. Reno (former professor of theology and editor of First Things First), who claims that people didn't isolate during the 1918 flu and everything turned out OK ("On R. R. Reno's Faulty History") so why bother socially isolating now?

https://www.wthrockmorton.com/ 

Happily, Warren referenced a tweet by Hunter Bourgeois Tone Police @HunterCrowder6, "President, Council of Biblical Tweethood. All tweets are ex cathedra, but only in the original Latin. Taking all of you as seriously as you deserve" who I'm now following on twitter.  

• Upvote 2

Under Trevor Noah's interview with Dr. Fauci, someone commented that Fauci is becoming a rock star, but his groupies are going to have to stay six feet away.

:worship:                                          ?

• Haha 11

@laPapessaGiovanna, I love it!

It's killing me that I can't send it to my two students who are working on piano arrangements of Bohemian Rhapsody, because of that little bit of rough language in the middle. I don't think their parents would approve.

But I might send it to one of the parents - I think she and her husband would love it, and I'll leave up to them whether to share it with the teen. Since they're listening to her practice it, they might appreciate some funny lyrics running through their heads.

• Love 2

2 hours ago, JMarie said:

I saw some people on Facebook also claiming something similar: that God send us the Coronavirus for a reason, so we can be better people. Evn worst, I saw some claim that it was a cleanse from God.

Seriously, this disease kills. If your God is twisted enough to make innocent people die of a disease they did not ask for, well screw your God.

• Upvote 6
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, Vivi_music said:

...God is twisted enough to make innocent people die...

The 'Rona is pretty mellow by Old Testament standards. 

• Upvote 4

I have a question for those of you who understand the science better than I do.

We're being told to isolate and limit contact, but also have the okay to get delivered or curb side take out food.

But the virus can live on inanimate surfaces for weeks.  Why is it safe to buy food handled by others who haven't been tested?  We ordered pizza from a local place on Friday and I'm not paranoid, but I wish I hadn't done it as Idk why that would be safe?

All of my kids have worked in food service in college at some point and I remember the severe pressure to work sick - I really hope food service is insisting on sending anyone home with symptoms, but they don't need symptoms to be carriers.  

Can anyone help me reconcile this?

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

It doesn't really live on surfaces for weeks.  You have to look at the half-life, when half the virus would be gone, to be concerned.  Most is gone in hours.  Detectable does not equal infectable.  For further reading try this one:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/26/dont-panic-about-shopping-getting-delivery-or-accepting-packages/

It would go something like wash hands after bringing food in because going to touch food.  Remove the food and ditch the containers and then wash hands because eating.  :)  

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 7
  • Love 2

12 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

It doesn't really live on surfaces for weeks.  You have to look at the half-life, when half the virus would be gone, to be concerned.  Most is gone in hours.  Detectable does not equal infectable.  For further reading try this one:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/26/dont-panic-about-shopping-getting-delivery-or-accepting-packages/

It would go something like wash hands after bringing food in because going to touch food.  Remove the food and ditch the containers and then wash hands because eating.  :)  

Thanks.  By this logic though it's just as safe for me to go to work as I have a private office and can limit direct contact if people there also took it seriously.

• Upvote 1

Other people behaving is a huge if though isn't it?  

I'm remembering the doughnuts.

• Upvote 6

I know this pales in comparison to people who are actually sick or losing friends and family, but I’m not coping well today. I’m so sick of the constant unending neediness, and being expected to be the emotionally strong one for 3 children who don’t understand what’s going on or why everything is different and everyone around them is anxious and stressed. I have a teaching degree but our SOTDRT is a mess, the older two are still young enough to need help every 3mins and I’ve been trying to read the same article for uni for a week now. The 3yo is doing my head in and won’t do anything without me sitting right next to her constantly interacting and pretending like she doesn’t know where the freaking puzzle piece goes that she’s put in place 10000 times. My neck and back and arm are hurting and have been for weeks, but physio isn’t a priority right now and I couldn’t drag 3 kids along with me even if it was. Uni is all “do your PhD from home and be super productive!” as if I have no other barriers to productivity. I’ve lost count of the number of friends who have lost their job, or had their partner lose their job, or will have their graduation delayed by a year because prac placements have been cancelled. MIL still acts like it’s all about her and we’re horrible people for not wanting to come at Easter, as though there aren’t other people we also WANT to see but can’t. It was supposed to be my sisters baby shower yesterday but that was cancelled of course and I haven’t seen her since January, who knows how old my first niece or nephew will be by the time I actually get to meet them. I can’t find any space to think without the noise of someone else’s problem or computer game or tv show or conversation or argument. And it’s going to be like this for MONTHS? 

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Love 30

4 hours ago, Smee said:

Uni is all “do your PhD from home and be super productive!” as if I have no other barriers to productivity. 

Not sure what your candidature timeframe is but I think extensions will be happening due to this disruption (God knows it's affecting everything else - I have had 3 meetings so far today about one (1) change due to the pandemic and how we will manage it while we're all working from home on our often wonky internet (and with our occasionally disruptive "coworkers" helping.)) In short - try not to stress too much about how all the balls are going to stay in the air right now. Do what you can, and if you need to step back for a month or two it really is OK. Especially with the schooling - if they're reading something, writing something and seeing how numbers work in real terms you're ahead of the curve (Especially me - my son has learned to count to 10 in four languages... YouTube is totally educational!)

If you can walk somewhere and see the rainbows (or hell, draw the rainbows - do you have chalk handy?) and get through the day with everyone healthy and alive it's all good. It will pass. I know the fear is how, and when, but it will pass.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 6

11 hours ago, Smee said:

I know this pales in comparison to people who are actually sick or losing friends and family, but I’m not coping well today. I’m so sick of the constant unending neediness, and being expected to be the emotionally strong one for 3 children who don’t understand what’s going on or why everything is different and everyone around them is anxious and stressed. I have a teaching degree but our SOTDRT is a mess, the older two are still young enough to need help every 3mins and I’ve been trying to read the same article for uni for a week now. The 3yo is doing my head in and won’t do anything without me sitting right next to her constantly interacting and pretending like she doesn’t know where the freaking puzzle piece goes that she’s put in place 10000 times. My neck and back and arm are hurting and have been for weeks, but physio isn’t a priority right now and I couldn’t drag 3 kids along with me even if it was. Uni is all “do your PhD from home and be super productive!” as if I have no other barriers to productivity. I’ve lost count of the number of friends who have lost their job, or had their partner lose their job, or will have their graduation delayed by a year because prac placements have been cancelled. MIL still acts like it’s all about her and we’re horrible people for not wanting to come at Easter, as though there aren’t other people we also WANT to see but can’t. It was supposed to be my sisters baby shower yesterday but that was cancelled of course and I haven’t seen her since January, who knows how old my first niece or nephew will be by the time I actually get to meet them. I can’t find any space to think without the noise of someone else’s problem or computer game or tv show or conversation or argument. And it’s going to be like this for MONTHS? 

Are you a single parent? My husband taking over most of the parenting duties this weekend helped my mental health. 

Regarding schooling, if school aged children are consistently reading, writing, and practicing math, then that is good enough. Now is not the time to set up a homeschool curriculum. If you want to do fun science experiments, go for it. If it is stress you out, skip it.

I read that kids will remember how they felt during this time and it is okay to relax on forcing them to work on school when kids are having a bad mental health day. 

Are you able to take a break from school given the situation?

• Upvote 6

As some of you know one of my sons works in an assisted living facility for the elderly...yesterday they had their first resident death from the virus.  

Obviously logically we know this would likely happen but ngl, this has shaken me.  This disease just got undeniably close to my family.  

• Love 25

This man's shaking hands and trembling voice... ?

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 4

my parents who are in their late 70's seem oblivious - today they went to whistler to stay in their condo for a night. Yes it's safe but I mean good lord. 

and yes my dad stopped to buy a croissant. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 2

33 minutes ago, nst said:

my parents who are in their late 70's seem oblivious - today they went to whistler to stay in their condo for a night. Yes it's safe but I mean good lord. 

My in-laws in mid 60s, he with heart disease and her barely recovered from the flu went out lawn mower shopping yesterday. They have a working lawn mower.  
Even dumbass sister-in-law is taking it kind of seriously but no one can get through to them.  

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

My in-laws in mid 60s, he with heart disease and her barely recovered from the flu went out lawn mower shopping yesterday. They have a working lawn mower.  
Even dumbass sister-in-law is taking it kind of seriously but no one can get through to them.  

ok then i won't tell you last week they went to the island and stayed for the day....

yes on the ferry. 

• Upvote 3

In the lying assholes who lie category: 

Limbaugh has been diagnosed with advanced stage lung cancer, has been undergoing chemo for the last month, and suffered complications from the chemo.  Coronavirus heads straight for the lungs, and immunocompromised patients (like Rush) can easily develop pneumonia and die from it.  That, in addition to lung cancer -- if he gets The 'Rona, he done for. 

But of course, he's ensconced in his mansion with staff to cater to his needs, while earlier telling his millions of listeners that it's nothing.  He just pivoted like a ballerina and never admitted to his earlier lies.  Fucking asshole. 

Note: not admitted to anything may be a strategy to protect himself from legal liability for deliberately lying to his listeners, putting them in danger. 

On a happier note, sis tested negative for The 'Rona, and will be released today!  It was "just" pneumonia.  

• Upvote 12
  • Love 4

3 hours ago, nst said:

My parents and In-laws are both mostly being sensible - they are still going out to shop but during the restricted 'open to high risk people' times, and otherwise staying home. It did take several weeks to convince my mum that having the grandchildren over was a really bad idea right now though. Last night I chatted with my parents via Zoom for the first time, so at least they've got that set up now and can see as well as hear the grandchildren.

• Upvote 4

Awaiting the fuck face rage tweeting

The pastor of a Tampa megachurch is facing charges after refusing to close its doorsdespite a "safer at home" order in effect in Hillsborough County, meant to stop the spread of COVID-19. The sheriff says up to 500 people were in attendance at Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne's Sunday services.

Sheriff Chad Chronister and State Attorney Andrew Warren on Monday announced that an arrest warrant had been issued for Pastor Howard-Browne. He faces misdemeanor charges of unlawful assembly and violation of public health emergency order.

The River at Tampa Bay Church held two services Sunday, Chronister said, and even offered bus transportation for those services. The chuch's livestream showed a packed crowd cheering and applauding.

Howard-Browne, 58, was taken into custody Monday afternoon in Hernando County, where he lives, and released 40 minutes later after posting a $500 bond.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic