IGNORED

Coronavirus

indianabones

5 minutes ago, nst said:

put a box outside the gate and get them to text you when it is there. 

They can't find the gate! I don't know why. Everyone just goes to my landlord's front door cause they see a big house and assume.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Destiny said:

I’m still getting takeout. I live in a town with very limited food options. I need them all to survive this.

This. We lost the college here nine years ago. And the restaurants began to disappear for lack of staff more than anything else. We got curbside takeout last night from our favorite Mexican restaurant. "Family Pack Fajitas". Steak and chicken fajita filling, guac, salsa, sour cream and pico de gallo plus tortillas. We had it last night, more tonight and there's enough for tomorrow--for $30 we got three meals. We plan to order takeout from one restaurant every week. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 3

2 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Dallas county has just ordered shelter in place and my county is have an emergency meeting as we speak. 

My anxiety level is now off the chain. Really afraid. 

We're going to be ok.  We need to do this. It's freaky but, we will be ok.  Trust the process, be safe. I'm on day 8 of lockdown.  A few days longer than the official time of Friday due to protecting my son and being out of a job.  We go to market once a week,  kids are online schooling,  I'm cooking like it's 1950, as in every meal. That part sucks.  Lol!  Deep breaths, we are all in this together.  

• Love 14

I feel bad for all the kids missing out on Easter  activities and birthday parties at fun places  and just going to the park or swimming  Sure you can do all those things at home with your siblings or in your back yard but it’s Just not the same is it? 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

35 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

I feel bad for all the kids missing out on Easter  activities and birthday parties at fun places  and just going to the park or swimming  Sure you can do all those things at home with your siblings or in your back yard but it’s Just not the same is it? 

My mom’s city is having an Easter egg hunt by asking people to print and color paper eggs and put them in doors and windows. Families can walk in their neighborhoods and see how many they can spot. I printed some to color for her since that’s something she can’t do because of her vision loss. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 7

9 hours ago, Destiny said:

I’m still getting takeout. I live in a town with very limited food options. I need them all to survive this.

And my unfortunate problem is I live pretty much outside the delivery range of most places or even delivery services.  Ugh.  My brother and sister in law have the same issue as all the places in Dubuque won't deliver out to Peosta so they're stuck with a couple pizza places. 

Grocery delivery where I live is impossible right now. Too many people are placing orders to keep up with demand. I was finally able to place a Costco order but it's going to take four days to arrive. Everytime I go to the grocery store I'm terrified that I'll pass by someone shedding symptoms and catch the virus from them. There are now over 2,000 reported cases here so it's a real possibility.

In other news, I just did a 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle in two days! I'm done with school for two weeks (got a 4.0!) so trying to fill up my free time.

• Upvote 8

Just a couple of months back my parents did another "you all need to meet more people so you can get married, maybe visit more churches or something" poke to me and my siblings.  Looks like I have plenty of excuse to stay alone now :P

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 7

12 hours ago, nausicaa said:

They can't find the gate! I don't know why. Everyone just goes to my landlord's front door cause they see a big house and assume.

arrows use arrows 

Edited by nst
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 6

so this is  my day today 

rewrite my notes for the office, (since I am working from home) and i have endless notes

vacuum my hallway closet and clean stuff out 

Call my car insurance people because my car insurance is going to run out next month 

I went through my storage locker in my building last night.

all organized 

i found a massive box that my mom must have put in their when i moved in here of photos 

so when i go for my daily visit to their house (they live 7 blocks away) we are going through all the photos since it's raining today. 

Hope you are all ok ! 

• Upvote 3

The last time we tried to go grocery shopping, we passed on by since there was a line out the door.  We decided to try again this morning, and I'm happy to report things have really calmed down.  A few things have changed.  There is only one entrance/exit (the other exit is closed).  There are barriers routing people to the cashiers, so no gathering in groups (all head in single file).  The only empty shelves I noticed were in the baking supplies aisle.  I snagged the last small bag of flour.  There are "limit 2" signs on a lot of items:  toilet paper, paper towels, milk, eggs, etc.  All in all, not too bad.  Everyone kept their distance and were using hand sanitizer.  It was a relief to gather a few supplies so we won't have to resort to cannibalism anytime soon.

• Upvote 11

Great graphic to explain why isolating is effective to those who don't get it yet.

Spoiler

Covid-19-Transmission-graphic-01.gif?fbc

7 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

It was a relief to gather a few supplies so we won't have to resort to cannibalism anytime soon.

I don't even know what kind of a marinade you'd use for that ...entree.

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, katilac said:

But I don't actually know anyone, online or irl, who is social distancing with the person they are dating! 

The problem with fundies is that it’s a whole damn family affair! Imagine trying to socially distance yourself from your girlfriend’s 20 person family! Or trying to keep your girlfriend away from your own 12 person family! Everyone seems to be involved in courtships and if one person gets it in one family, I bet it would spread to the other family easily. And then you have 30 people sick.

• Upvote 7

As I've said, I'm not going through much trauma from this - just some economic loss and concern about others. So I'm not complaining, just posting this in the hopes it might amuse.

Y'know how things that ordinarily wouldn't bother you get more annoying at a time like this? Yeah. Well, I just googled:

• Upvote 3

On 3/22/2020 at 9:43 AM, nausicaa said:

I'm sorry. I don't make enough to hire any employees, but I will try to keep this in mind when deciding on whether to make some online purchases especially from smaller shops, including for previously planned purchases like new spring clothes. 

This leads into an ethical question I've had: As I live alone and am a misanthropist at heart, I can hunker down with my groceries for weeks and not contact anyone. Should I still get some takeout occasionally to support local restaurants? Or is limiting my exposure to others the top priority?

Gift certificates!

My town only has two restaurants and I went to each of them the other day and bought myself a gift certificate for roughly what I would have spent there over the next few months if no virus.

I'll get their food either takeout or I'll wait until we can eat there again, but they got my money now...

Edited by church_of_dog
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 1

UK now on lockdown. I can only hope the government get their acts together and halt evictions, suspend rent payments and offer financial aid to people who will now lose wages.

My feeling here on the ground is that most people can see the need to stay indoors but are worried about being unable to pay for basics like energy and rent. Guaranteeing the most vulnerable people in society that a roof will remain over their head is important.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

18 minutes ago, unsafetydancer said:

Guaranteeing the most vulnerable people in society that a roof will remain over their head is important.

Everywhere!  There will be idiot who flout the rules because they're stupid, like the spring breakers...but the millions who want to comply but are terrified of eviction or hunger?  Take that out of the equation for them.

I have a family member in the service industry who lost her job a week ago until the place she works re-opens...her landlord cut her rent in half for at least the next two months.  

There is a landlord in Wisconsin who cut every tenants rent to $100 per month to get them through this time.  I'm betting he have a lot less in total assets then the asshole in chief who is trying to profit off this via stimulus package.  But far more when it comes to kindness and compassion.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 5

UK on lockdown. 

I've had to delete FB.  I've used it to keep in touch with my community here and my home, but extended family members have been spouting nonsense on conspiracy theories or stupid advice.  I'm now stuck in the south of England. 

Mr Owl is in the Army.. unsure what's going to happen there.  What a way to enter my 30s.

Hang tight friends x 

• Love 14

Trying not to think too much about $ right now. Wè are lucky enough to have savings even though I am out of work (as a substitute teacher I don't get paid since the schools here are indefinitely closed. Mr PPOD works from home normally, but now several if his clients are closed or not needing his services atm, so his business is definitely suffering. At least we are not worrying about paying bills/rent/mortgage as I know many are.

I just got back from an expedition to the grocery store.  It's interesting.  They had a guy sanitizing the cart handles when I went to get one.  The store kept making announcements about social distancing, which most were trying to do.  It's a bit awkward trying to navigate around without getting to close to other shoppers or employees trying to restock.  People were smiling at each other, but it did feel a bit tense.

Lots of signs up limiting amounts of things to 2 of each item.  Some things have been restocked since I was there a week ago, but the pasta aisle and flour are still wiped out. Tp aisle  still looking a bit sparse as were cleaning products. 

There was a sign up saying they were temporarily not accepting cash.  Also, if you brought your own bag you have to pack it yourself.  They were also not taking empty bottle/can returns as they normally do (you have to take them to the City recycling depot instead)  They have stopped all self serve items (they usually have some bulk bins of nuts, dried fruit etc, as well as a self serve soup thing that was closed.) 

The store had taped lines onto the floor to mark where each person lining up was supposed you stand.  After each customer, the cashier was wiping down the checkout and anything you might have touched. I felt quite relieved to get back to my car (with its big bottle of hand sanitizer waiting for me)

MIL is currently in the hospital after breaking her upper arm 3 weeks ago. She got transferred to a smaller hospital a week ago for a rehab program.  Atm she still has a cast, and is still on painkillers, especially at night.  She is now walking around with a cane, but still needs help with the toilet and with dressing herself.  We are hoping they don't send her home until she can take care of herself again, but it's all a bit uncertain. 

The rehab program is continuing for now, but with some changes. They have canceled the group sessions. They are doing one on one stuff, but obviously can't spend as much time with each person.  They usually have volunteers who help get people dIwn for their sessions and help them practice what they have been taught by the pt/Ot people, but no volunteers allowed now. There are no visitors allowed at the hospital.  They began last week to send home (or find places in care homes)  for anybody they could, as well as to cancel all elective surgeries.  This is all to free up beds and staff who are needed elsewhere. If they send her home now, she would need help.  The public health here would normally provide something, but I suspect that would be pretty impossible at the moment.  Which would mean that she would likely have to come to our house.  I get along fine with my MIL, but she is a very anxious person at the best of times, so I dread the prospect. Not to mention that I really do NOT want to help my MIL dress or use the toilet.  I'll do it if I have to, but not fun at all. 

Ok,getting distracted now because Mr PPOD just put msnbc on and the Manchurian Cantelope is babbling nonsense.  SHUT UP ASSHOLE.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 5

23 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Dallas county has just ordered shelter in place and my county is have an emergency meeting as we speak. 

My anxiety level is now off the chain. Really afraid. 

Fear not.  New Jersey has been on "lock down" for a couple of weeks now.  All schools, courts, state and municipal offices shut.  The governor basically closed all "non essential" businesses like salons, tattoo parlors,malls and sit down restaurants.  Grocery stores, liquor stores, doctors , car mechanics, and drug stores, auto parts stores etc.  are still open, as are take out places and those restaurants that are temporarily switching to take out.  Also, (and he just announced this today) everyone is supposed to stay off the roads 24/7 unless you are : a first responder, working in any sort of capacity for a medical, dental or other doctory sort of office, going out to buy food or medicine,  construction, and (here's what gets me) going to visit friends or close family.

WTF?  Apparently as long as its not a large group its OK.  Very stupid imho.  I went to the grocery store on the 13th and the 20th and have enough to get through about 3 weeks if I'm not stress eating.  Its all to slow the inevitable spread since the hospitals have limited ICU beds and equipment and supplies.  They are taking a lesson from Italy.  

Edited by cindyluvs24
  • Upvote 7

1 hour ago, cindyluvs24 said:

Fear not.  New Jersey has been on "lock down" for a couple of weeks now.  All schools, courts, state and municipal offices shut.  The governor basically closed all "non essential" businesses like salons, tattoo parlors,malls and sit down restaurants.  Grocery stores, liquor stores, doctors , car mechanics, and drug stores, auto parts stores etc.  are still open, as are take out places and those restaurants that are temporarily switching to take out.  Also, (and he just announced this today) everyone is supposed to stay off the roads 24/7 unless you are : a first responder, working in any sort of capacity for a medical, dental or other doctory sort of office, going out to buy food or medicine,  construction, and (here's what gets me) going to visit friends or close family.

WTF?  Apparently as long as its not a large group its OK.  Very stupid imho.  I went to the grocery store on the 13th and the 20th and have enough to get through about 3 weeks if I'm not stress eating.  Its all to slow the inevitable spread since the hospitals have limited ICU beds and equipment and supplies.  They are taking a lesson from Italy.  

Some people may have no choice about seeing family. I care for a disabled elderly parent. I cannot take care of her needs without going there and going into her house. I don’t like it but there’s not a choice. We’re trying to limit it and I keep my distance when I’m there but the only other choice is spending money to pay someone else to do the same. 

• Love 12

Ok, explain liquor stores being open.  Or Is a glass or maybe bottle of Jack Daniels considered an essential Item if you are shut in for the foreseeable future by bored 10 year olds with no place go.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Ok, explain liquor stores being open.  Or Is a glass or maybe bottle of Jack Daniels considered an essential Item if you are shut in for the foreseeable future by bored 10 year olds with no place go.

They do not want to add additional stress on medical facilities when the 14.9 million alcoholics in the US are forced to quit cold turkey. Not only would it be another burden for those who know to go to the hospital when they start going through withdraw, detoxing from alcohol can and does kill people.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

Gift certificates!

My town only has two restaurants and I went to each of them the other day and bought myself a gift certificate for roughly what I would have spent there over the next few months if no virus.

I'll get their food either takeout or I'll wait until we can eat there again, but they got my money now...

Quoting myself because there was something I forgot to say.  If you don't eat out often but want to support a local restaurant anyway, get a gift certificate anyway and give it to your local healthcare workers, first responders, law enforcement, dv shelter, etc

• Upvote 5
  • Love 7

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic