IGNORED

Coronavirus

indianabones

Looks like the coronavirus is hitting the United States- I know there are multiple cases at my local hospital. My family has a basic quarantine plan in place and we're pretty well stocked in case we can't go out for a few weeks. And fortunately, all of my international travel plans aren't till this summer. 

How are all of you guys doing? 

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, indianabones said:

My family has a basic quarantine plan in place and we're pretty well stocked in case we can't go out for a few weeks.

What is the best way to create a quarantine plan? Are there sites recommending things to do other than stock up on food?

I normally pay zero attention to outbreaks (depression is my game, not anxiety) but feel I should have some idea of what to do just in case.

I'll be honest, I'm not thrilled that I'm going on a three week work trip to another state. It doesn't have any more cases that my home area (in fact, it's more rural so it likely won't be hit as hard  or will be hit later), but if shit goes down, I'd rather be at my house where I'm comfortable than some hotel. 

• Upvote 4

The Australian media is hyping it up a bit, but the most sensible plans I’ve seen involve frequent hand washing and good cough hygiene. If anyone in your house has a cough, disinfect all doorknobs and taps frequently. Don’t panic buy groceries, but have supplies up to date.

Long but worth reading, there’s more info here:

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-survival-guide-how-to-protect-yourself/news-story/2cdefa3c0ccdf5e4972c44177c925505

Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze. Dispose of the used tissue immediately – don’t leave them lying around. Medical professionals advise that if no tissue is immediately available, it is safer to cough or sneeze into your flexed elbow rather than your hands.

Regularly and thoroughly clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or wash them with soap and warm water. Do it more than you otherwise might, particularly if you have been out in public. Wash them for at least 15 seconds, ensuring that all parts of the hands are attended to: palms, fingers and fingernails.

One study cited by The New York Post said that hand washing during the SARS epidemic reduced the transmission of the virus by 30 to 50 per cent.

If you do use a hand sanitiser, health authorities urge using the kinds that have at least 60 per cent alcohol content.

Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. Hands touch many surfaces and can pick up viruses. Touching eyes, nose or mouth afterwards can enable the virus to enter your body.

Regularly clean surfaces that are frequently touched such as door handles, light switches, kitchen and bathroom areas, and items that might be touched by multiple users such as keyboards and telephones.

The AMA states that the virus survives for 48 hours on surfaces at room temperature – about the same as for the flu. However it is worth noting that a US Journal of Hospital Infection study found related viruses could survive for nine days on some surfaces. Those same studies found that traces of related coronaviruses on surfaces could be easily removed by household disinfectants.

Read credible news sources for information and public health messages from government; don’t believe everything you read on social media, advises Professor Allen Cheng, president of the Australasian Society for Infectious Diseases.

Bookmark sites such as health.gov.au so you can be across latest government information about the virus. With the number of affected countries increasing day by day be aware that advice may change quickly.

The Australian government advises that people do not need to wear face masks if they are well, but the masks are helpful in preventing people who are infected from spreading coronavirus to others.

Stocks of face masks have been depleted from various retailers. The government advises that if unwell people do need to leave home, but they don’t have a mask, they should take care to not cough or sneeze on others.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

Restocking my emergency food, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, Medicines, etc....

I live in earthquake land , and, lately, wildfires - so this idea of having a crisis where you get some warning is weirdly calming. 

Prepping helps my anxiety, in general, so I’m planning on 2 -4 weeks of enough of everything to not have to leave the house. With enough for my extended family. Although there is no reason to think all those people would quarantine in place in my super small house ?

Edited by Mama Mia
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

My headship works at a very busy Costco here in the PNW. He said they were totally swamped today, sold out of toilet paper(!) and people were buying enormous quantities of packs of water bottles and the like. Everyone here is scared.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Oh, something I forgot - the recommendation here is that each family member has their own towel with their name on it. Towels are a breeding ground for the virus. They need to be washed every second day and nobody should touch another person’s towel.

If it becomes serious, we’ll use paper towel to dry our hands after washing, so I’ll be buying extra viva.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

9 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

Prepping helps my anxiety, in general, so I’m planning on 2 -4 weeks of enough of everything to not have to leave the house. 

Seriously, if it weren't for this work trip, I would be born for this storm. I always meal prep, live alone, and like all red-blooded introverts, hate interacting with other people. Just need to pick up a stack of books from the library and I am ready to hunker down for 10 to 14 days at any given time. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 4

11 hours ago, nausicaa said:

What is the best way to create a quarantine plan? Are there sites recommending things to do other than stock up on food?

We're following Australia's recommendations, like these: 

-Anticipate at least seven to 10 days in isolation at home.

-Try to have a two-week supply of non-perishable food items in the pantry. Stock long-life alternatives to perishable food items, such as powdered and UHT milk, tinned fruit and frozen vegetables.

-Have a supply of disposable tissues, antibacterial wipes and latex gloves.

-Check that your first aid kit includes a thermometer and paracetamol (to reduce fever).

-Make sure you have enough of any prescription and non-prescription medication you need to last a couple of weeks.

-Talk with friends and relatives who don’t live with you about supporting each other if one household has to be quarantined. For example, agree to drop groceries or other supplies at the front door.

-If a family member has an infection and everyone in the household is quarantined, suggestions include:

-All family members should stay home. Do not allow any visitors.

-Only one adult should look after the sick person.

-Try to keep the sick person away from other members of the household. For example, they should stay in their bedroom with the door closed, and they should not share a bedroom. If the sick person needs to share a common area with other people, they should try to stay one metre or more from other people to reduce the spread of illness, and wear a facemask.

-Arrange for the sick person to have exclusive use of one bathroom (if your house has more than one bathroom).

-Keep the sick person’s items separate from everyone else’s. For example, don’t share towels or eating utensils, or store toothbrushes in the same holder.

-Use disinfectant to clean items touched by the sick person, such as bedside tables and bathroom surfaces.

-Keep an eye on the sick person for any signs that they are getting worse, for example, breathing problems, confusion or chest pain. In that case, seek medical attention.

-Make sure the sick person gets plenty of rest, drinks plenty of water and maintains a healthy diet.

-Don’t rely too heavily on the television and technology. Treat quarantine as an opportunity to do some of those things you never usually have time for, such as board games, craft, drawing and reading.

We also stocked up on dog food for our three dogs, which they'll go through anyways even if we aren't quarantined. But the virus is spreading through our state so rapidly, and based on the natures of our jobs we're exposed to people from all over. I'm hoping not to contract it, but expecting that I will. I'm young and healthy so I'm not too worried, though of course I don't want to deal with being sick. If I do end up in quarantine I'll have a lot of knitting to work on (and homework ?, since I'm taking online classes full time) and we can break out the puzzles we've never opened.

9 hours ago, dripcurl said:

My headship works at a very busy Costco here in the PNW. He said they were totally swamped today, sold out of toilet paper(!) and people were buying enormous quantities of packs of water bottles and the like. Everyone here is scared.

I was at Costco yesterday to get a new set of tires (bad choice of day, do not recommend.) I've never seen it so crowded! Lots of people buying Corona beer ? (and, like you said, literally all of the toilet paper.)

Edited by indianabones
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 3

I’ve been working in building up a supply off. Non perishable food, including thing I would need if I’ll.  And cleaning supplies, hand sanitizer, toilet paper (sorry folks, but that is a go to disaster/winter supply for me), & tissues.  Yup in general meds for cold/flu/pain relief etc.  

I have upped my hand washing game and currently have mental mantra when out and about not to touch my face and when I get back in my car, out comes the hand sanitizer.  

and my plan starting Monday is to begin bringing the work laptop home every night “just in case” (I often do this in winter).  If necessary I can work from home.  

I’m an introvert and rather antisocial.   I’m made for self isolating and/or quarantine.  

Don’t forget about your pets when thinking about prep.  

• Upvote 14

I’m trying to judge how paranoid I should be. I work in a hospital (I’m a nurse) so that makes it a little more stressful. So far we have been just doing everything normally (I have a toddler who is in activities and has play dates) but reading through this thread makes me think that I should be a little bit more nervous. 

• Upvote 3

I've been ping ponging between super anxiety and "it's the flu." I stocked up on supplies for about 2 weeks, including paper products and cleaning supplies. I can actually get work done from home and so can my husband, so we are supremely fortunate in that regard. I still fee the impact though, as I live in SoCal, and my friend from Northern California was just about to fly down for my bday weekend to go with me to Disneyland. Even though it hasn't really hit here yet (2 contained cases if the reports are to be believed), it's coming and soon if its not already here. So we are feeling less and less confident about those Disneyland plans. I'm surprised that this is the only FJ thread on Corona- it's all anyone is talking about here. That and politics I guess.

Edit: Covid19 is also being discussed here: https://www.freejinger.org/topic/33144-government-response-to-coronavirus-with-pence-in-charge-were-doomed/page/1/#comments

Edited by neurogirl
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, neurogirl said:

Edit: Covid19 is also being discussed here:

Yeah, I thought it might be good to have a separate thread away from all the political stuff (for people like me who don't want to combine two sources of their anxiety into one...)

The virus is starting to affect my income. I'm a dog walker and several of my clients are starting to work from home. I have other clients who are teachers at schools that are closed, so they don't need me either. I had two cancellations yesterday and three today, and I'm sure it'll only get worse.

It's crazy when something you read about in the news happening in a far away country starts to affect your life. At this point I'm pretty freaked out- not so much about the possibility of getting sick, but more about the economic repercussions of a pandemic.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 6

OMG! A person on my f/b "friends" (acquaintance) posted this an hour ago about the coronavirus. So don't worry, all you need to do is condemn the virus and read Psalms 91 and bam! you and your family will be protected! 

Good grief. 

CORONAVIRUS..........if that’s your real name......I really don’t care what you call yourself because your name HAS to bow to the name of Jesus!! That is His law and His promise, that those who choose to abide in Him and He abides in them, we can ask anything in His name and it will be done.

First of all, I have heard for weeks now how this “pandemic” is basically going to wipe us out....like the bird flu and several others in recent years. I come against all news outlets who enjoy speaking the enemy’s propaganda. I don’t deny that there is a deadly virus on the loose....I deny it’s ability to prosper against me or my family or those I love. I condemn you coronavirus in the name of Jesus. Go back to hell where you originated. I praise you God for the power that resides within each of us who indeed belongs to You and I use that same power and authority for my favor! Your word says in Psalms 91:

5 Do not be afraid of the terrors of the night,
nor the arrow that flies in the day.
6 Do not dread the disease that stalks in darkness,
nor the disaster that strikes at midday.
7 Though a thousand fall at your side,
though ten thousand are dying around you,
these evils will not touch you!!!!

I stand on these words from You!!

Lastly, let’s move on from speaking this beast into existence and began to speak it into exile!!!
I don't know about tomorrow, but I know who holds tomorrow.

JESUS YOU ARE LORD OVER Coronavirus and every other virus created by man. We give you Praise, Glory and Honor that Corona and other viruses will STOP in their tracks, wither at the roots and die to be no more.

Praise God for His Word!!

Copy and pass this on. It’s time us prayer warriors take a stand and see what God can and will do!

Author unknown. Amen????

• Disgust 1
  • Confused 1
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 3

I mean, yeah, I expect this will be a pandemic. Am I prepping? No. Should I prep? Probably. We were low on toilet paper already, so I'll just buy extra when I go to the store. We have a ton of chicken in the freezer. Canned and dried soup mixes for days. Pasta. I do need salsa and some beans, however.

• Upvote 5

48 minutes ago, keen23 said:

I do need salsa and some beans,

I first read this as "salsa and some beers". I too need some beers. :D

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 4

32 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I first read this as "salsa and some beers". I too need some beers. :D

Yeah, I need beer too. Especially if I'm stuck in the house with my family for 10-14 days.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 4

I'm usually pretty well stocked up for several weeks on all the basics anyway, but I did hit Kroger the other day for some extras. I'll have to do that soon for hurricane season, so I just figure I'm ahead of that game if we don't get hit with this virus where I live. We probably will, though. Until today I was worried mostly for my mom, who's in her 80s and does NOT need to be getting this. I figured I and my husband will likely be okay.

And then this evening I had a sobering thought hit me upside the head: my husband and I are considered part of the older population most at risk now! I keep forgetting we're both over 60;  we're part of THAT demographic, the one that all the commercials during the nightly news are aimed at. You know, prunes, prescription drugs, and Medicare Plan B! :pb_lol:

So now I keep thinking, should I get more toilet paper? :my_rolleyes:

• Haha 4
  • Love 3

I’m not sure if people in the US are hoarding toilet paper, but apparently Australians think the coronapocalypse will be averted if they wrap themselves from head to toe in TP an inch thick. 

Just scroll through and look at the photos. Insanity. 

https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-supermarkets-buying-limits-woolworths-coles-iga-panic-buying/1b877058-1390-4aaf-a4bf-da5b78d0e9a1

• Haha 5

There have been reports in the US of TP shelves being empty.  I may have bought an extra jumbo pack on Saturday.  But just one (there is just me) and I was only thinking of if I get stuck inside for 4-6 weeks or so what would I need, what do I need to have on hand.  I've also bought extra water.  However I've been doing this mostly with gallons of distilled water because I buy that anyway for my daily sinus rinse.  If I don't need it for corona I'll eventually use it for that and just not need to buy for a while.  

Other purchases I've made have been in the general disaster prep scheme of things to have on hand for a '72 hour kit' sort of mindset.

Yes, I have bought extra soap (in the form of 4 bars of ivory hand soap), paper towels (will use anyway), disinfectant wipes (will use up at some point in the future).

Personal tip - if the big stores (costco, walmart, sams are out) - in the US - check dollar tree.  

Also, I found this site yesterday.  It was developed by a high school student in Washington St early into the China outbreak.  He wanted good/reliable sources of information for tracking.  The map page is awesome - every dot shows you the news source and does get updated regularly.

https://ncov2019.live/data

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

6 hours ago, adidas said:

I’m not sure if people in the US are hoarding toilet paper, but apparently Australians think the coronapocalypse will be averted if they wrap themselves from head to toe in TP an inch thick. 

Just scroll through and look at the photos. Insanity. 

https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-supermarkets-buying-limits-woolworths-coles-iga-panic-buying/1b877058-1390-4aaf-a4bf-da5b78d0e9a1

I wasn't sure whether to hit the laughing reaction or the WTF one! 

The toilet paper panic really has me baffled, to be honest. I can see buying a pack or two extra if you don't have much in the house, it's just common sense. But filling a shopping cart full of it, not so much, unless you're buying for several other households at the same time.

I'm sort of a stockpiler, though, I always have two or three jumbo packs of tp on hand anyway, and get nervous when I'm down to my last dozen rolls. So I didn't buy more for the coronapocalypse, and I promise I won't. LOL.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

Don’t ask me how I know this, but be prepared for possible price hikes at a large retailer if you live in Washington. 

Edited by dripcurl
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 1

And the Great Toilet Paper Crisis continues in Australia. At least now some awareness is  seeping through and the hand sanitizer and tissues have sold out too (ffs). Indonesia are apparently having panic buying of turmeric and ginger, both of which are used in traditional medicines, so at least their stockpiling makes some sense.

I am not particularly fazed at this point - it looks very similar to the two most recent flu pandemics (H1N1 and H3N7) to me. Soap is still on the shelves, so got that. Have newspaper if I really can't get any damn toilet paper before we run out in about a fortnight!

• Upvote 7

I live alone and usually buy TP infrequently in the large Costco packs.  I had a memory slip in December and bought another one when it was on sale.  Sooooo  I have 2.5 Costco packs of toilet tissue!  I have a few bottles of hand sanitizer around since I buy it and stick it in bags and forget it.  I also bought a Costco pack of tissue boxes in December and it hasn't been opened.  I think Dawg and I will be OK.

• Upvote 10

My father is immunosuppressed, so is one of the more “at risk” groups. We’re not particularly worried in my family, though (at least not in a panic-buying toilet roll and hand sanitizer kind of way). I don’t have much of a social life anyway, and I’m unemployed, so I don’t get out much... which I guess is kind of a bonus in this case! I wouldn’t particularly mind self-isolating. I have plenty of books, plus my laptop, so I’d just spend time playing The Sims 3/4 for hours, or writing my stories (I’ve long enjoyed creative writing). (Of course I’m mainly speaking from a social perspective, I don’t mind being alone, I’m very used to it!) 

• Upvote 4

Well, I've lost 4/5 of my regular clients for the foreseeable future. I'm very grateful that I still have one left, though, because it lets me retain at least a little bit of a routine and forces me to spend time outside. My school canceled all in person classes today- everything has been moved online. Since so many people are working from home there's barely any traffic, so I guess that's a little bit of a bright side.

I've been feeling more and more anxious as this week has gone on. It's been affecting my sleep and my focus- it's been REALLY hard to do schoolwork. It's hard to avoid the news, particularly when I keep getting constant emails from my school with coronavirus updates. Every restaurant and coffee shop I've been to has signs reassuring people about how they're sanitizing everything. It's pretty much an ever-present threat at this point, and the rising death toll is displayed everywhere.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 7

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic