IGNORED

Coronavirus

indianabones

Major dilemma.  My father has been living with us for the past year.  He has dementia and bad neuropathy in both legs.  He really needs to be in a wheelchair, but my house is a multi-level with open staircases.  (he'd refuse to use it anyway).   Unfortunately his dementia has worsened in recent months and he's becoming confused and wandering at night.  He hasn't left the house yet, but he has had several falls while we were asleep.  If he doesn't break his neck falling down the stairs in the near future, it will be a miracle.  None of my siblings can/should take him. 

He's been on a wait list for a memory unit in a lovely assisted living facility nearby.  Right before this virus shit hit, he was assessed and cleared to move in next week.

The facility will let him move in.  But we can't visit.  And no one in the facility has been tested, although we are assured no one is sick.

So do we have him move in to a group situation and risk illness and death? (I think he'd get over the loneliness pretty quickly.  He's looking for a girlfriend).  Or do we keep him at home for now and risk a fractured hip in this environment - or worse?

There are no easy answers anymore. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 20

the stupidity of people

i live in a building that has 35 apartments and i own 3 in here. 

apparently one of my tenants (and we are in West Vancouver) has flown to Mexico and is supposed to come back on Friday. 

CAN YOU IMAGINE the stress is causing council and me. 

INSANE 

i need to sell it. 

• Love 11

5 hours ago, nst said:

the stupidity of people

i live in a building that has 35 apartments and i own 3 in here. 

apparently one of my tenants (and we are in West Vancouver) has flown to Mexico and is supposed to come back on Friday. 

CAN YOU IMAGINE the stress is causing council and me. 

INSANE 

i need to sell it. 

Is he required to self-isolate for 14 days? Because if he isn't, that is what he should be doing.

• I Agree 6

@JenniferJuniper First off - I'm sorry you've got to go through this. 

Second - if you haven't already ou might join the Caregivers Group

and this thread is there.

Third - have an honest discussion with the staff there.  Tell them your concerns.  Based on my own experiences with my mom, when I read your post, I'm as concerned about his falls as I would be about exposure to Covid19.  My mother had a lot of falls and part of the issue is that they don't remember that they have mobility issues and try to stand up/walk.  My mother did this almost to the end (when quite frankly she was just too weak to stand any longer).  You're the only one(s) who can make this decision.  My sister (the one who had her head in the sand for almost 5 years) actually said in an email to me last week (yes Covid19 has the whole world so sideways that SHE emailed me to check in) that she's glad our mom passed when she did so we don't have to worry through this.  

• Thank You 2
  • Love 8

The harsh reality out there:

• Sad 7

7 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Is he required to self-isolate for 14 days? Because if he isn't, that is what he should be doing.

council and i have a plan that if anyone sees her outside her apartment- we call the police - which it happens is across the street - the police station 

Edited by nst
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 2

@JenniferJuniper  20 years ago when my Grandmother was living with us, at the point where she needed more care than we could give her, but had not yet been able to find a place, the public health nurse told us to try removing the box spring and bed base and just have her on the mattress on the floor.  That way she couldn't get out of bed on her own, but wouldn't feel as if she was being restrained. She would call out if shee needed to use the toilet, instead of trying to do it on her own. It was only a temporary measure in desperation, and I don't know if it would be recommended anymore, but it's a thought.   

Dementia is a tough one to deal with for everyone. ?

• Thank You 1
  • Love 10

@nst  Idiotic irresponsible tenant!  I can't believe there are still people NOT cancelling their vacations. So stupid.

Our neighbours (both in their 70s) just got back from a week in Palm Springs. They knew things were getting bad before they left and they went anyway. They said that it was a terrible vacation because everything was closed and they spent the whole time worrying about getting back, which kind of serves them right. They got back just as the border was closing. They have been self isolating I  think. Their nephew picked them up from the airport and brought them food, but yesterday hè dropped by and his car was there for a long time (yes, thst is correct,the Corona virus has turned me into Mrs Kravitz.) I have a feeling he went in for a visit.  Dumbass.

Also,greetings from this side of the Lions Gate to the other!

Edited by PreciousPantsofDoom
Autocorrect madness
  • Upvote 9

https://missouri-coronavirus-gis-hub-mophep.hub.arcgis.com/app/a5ef1f914ca249e9a7d69fdcbc0f8ab5

Number of patients a hospital is capable of treating on negative pressure  for Missouri.  

And an unemployment dashboard

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/3beafacbb8204e6e85e039a0d96b4fc9

And we're up to 670 cases (from 502 this morning).  I know Boone County has taken to reporting cases twice a day so we'll see what it is later.

And this is sobering.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 5

Michigan is now up to 3657 cases. 3038 of those cases are in three counties in the metro Detroit area. That is 83 percent of cases. 17 days ago we had two confirmed cases. I hate everyone who is not taking this seriously.

I livid that idiot ordered the auto manufacturers to make ventilators and is complaining they can't start making them immediately.  He could have had people looking into this TWO months ago and making preparations so that they could be ready to start making them if needed.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 8

What gets me is he ordered them to make ventilators and first they have to figure out how to make ventilators.  You can't just switch up like that.  What the hell?

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

2 minutes ago, clueliss said:

What gets me is he ordered them to make ventilators and first they have to figure out how to make ventilators.  You can't just switch up like that.  What the hell?

I assume they have to sanitize everything since they are making equipment for critically ill patients. I read that they are going to use parts they originally intended for vehicles to make the ventilators. This takes time to figure out and set up.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

19 minutes ago, Ali said:

I assume they have to sanitize everything since they are making equipment for critically ill patients. I read that they are going to use parts they originally intended for vehicles to make the ventilators. This takes time to figure out and set up.

That, and if it's like Dyson, they will have to draw up plans that have to be approved first. I think that will be the CDC or some other official agency. That takes time. 

Trump's angry response at not getting things the minute he asks for them just goes to show that he literally thinks like a child, believing stuff somehow magically happens just because he asks for it. And he throws an almighty tantrum when he doesn't get what he wants when he wants it. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 6

And the big 3 shut down in part because the UAW wanted a shutdown.  Heck, ford fired up production on some of their truck plants and they aren’t happy about it.  

also is GM being forced into this because they had that ginormous bailout back in 2009 or so?  (The joke for a while is that GM stood for government motors)

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Ali said:

I hate everyone who is not taking this seriously.

I am so with you on this.  Sending you love across Lake Michigan as Chicago is in the same boat.  Stay safe 

• Thank You 1
  • Love 6

Cole County MO on stay at home.  (Jefferson City, the state capital) 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

While Trump is still busy attacking governors, this is what is happening on the front lines.

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 2

My sis is at an ER in Georgia with a 101 fever and cough.  She's an immunocompromised Type 2 diabetic, over age 70.  Her husband has no health issues and shows no symptoms (yet).  Assuming it's COVID-19, because what else would it be?  Although she has a lot of health issues, I don't recall that she's been hospitalized in the last 20 years.  They've been stringently locked down, but she did have to go to a doctor's appt to get some kind of shot.  

The hospital is near Atlanta, so should be fairly ready for this, but not yet overwhelmed. 

Just talked to my retired military brother, who's infuriated by Trump's abject lack of leadership, that has now directly impacted my family. 

#staythefuckhome, y'all (if possible). 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Love 24

56 minutes ago, dripcurl said:

Anonymity be damned, here is a video I uploaded talking about a phone conversation I had with Tony Spell, who refuses to close the doors to his church in Louisiana.

Here is some background:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/18/us/louisiana-pastor-coronavirus/index.html

There's always an "agenda," isn't there?

• Upvote 3

On 3/26/2020 at 7:34 PM, JenniferJuniper said:

So do we have him move in to a group situation and risk illness and death? (I think he'd get over the loneliness pretty quickly.  He's looking for a girlfriend).  Or do we keep him at home for now and risk a fractured hip in this environment - or worse?

There are no easy answers anymore. 

Group situation stat.  If he falls and breaks a hip at your house or worse, it will be a disaster.  He'll end up in a hospital waiting for a hip replacement and his chances of getting the virus will be worse than if he's at home with you. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Howl said:

Group situation stat.  If he falls and breaks a hip at your house or worse, it will be a disaster.  He'll end up in a hospital waiting for a hip replacement and his chances of getting the virus will be worse than if he's at home with you. 

Thank you.  Last of the (nearly useless) siblings agreed and the money was put down today.  He moves in 10 days.  Here's hoping we can keep him safe for that long.

Only truly sad thing is that he will be quarantined for two weeks in his suite with no visitors.   Still, things could be worse for him.

• Love 21

8 hours ago, Howl said:

My sis is at an ER in Georgia with a 101 fever and cough.  She's an immunocompromised Type 2 diabetic, over age 70.  Her husband has no health issues and shows no symptoms (yet).  Assuming it's COVID-19, because what else would it be?  Although she has a lot of health issues, I don't recall that she's been hospitalized in the last 20 years.  They've been stringently locked down, but she did have to go to a doctor's appt to get some kind of shot.  

The hospital is near Atlanta, so should be fairly ready for this, but not yet overwhelmed. 

Just talked to my retired military brother, who's infuriated by Trump's abject lack of leadership, that has now directly impacted my family. 

#staythefuckhome, y'all (if possible). 

An elderly (in her 90's) relative who lives in a care home was ill, taken to hospital, in isolation, tested etc. Turned out to be regular pneumonia; she's responding well to antibiotics. I can't tell you how unexpected that result was. You never know. 

• Love 19

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic