IGNORED

Coronavirus

indianabones

Guys I need to vent a little. I haven’t seen my parents since mid January and it‘s starting to get to me. Especially since my mum can’t facetime due to health reasons. That’s just what I really miss, being able to go over and have a nice meal. They haven’t even met my boyfriend yet.
But I know my complaint is minor since my parents are healthy, I still get paid, have health care and our hospitals aren’t overwhelmed yet. And the reason I haven’t seen them this long is that I was travelling.
Looks like this whole quarantine thing is slowly getting in my nerve.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 17

Ain't no stinking pandemic gonna stop this pastor from grifting! 

I would love it if someone would point out to these covidiot pastors that one of the 10 commandments is "Thou shalt not kill."

Edited by fraurosena
  • Upvote 9
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

Lots of people on my town's Covid FB group are getting excited about making masks, posting pictures of how to make them, asking for patterns, sharing links, taking selfies like it's a fashion show.  In theory that's all great, except for the stupid selfies, and the already-tired bra picture and people sticking pizza slices or banana bunches in front of their faces and getting likes for it.  Ugh.  

Then, I went down for a quick run to the grocery store, wearing my homemade mask, and saw no one else in the store wearing one, including the chief nursing officer at our hospital.    

• WTF 4

From the Daily Beast:

We Asked the Church of Scientology How They’re Combatting Coronavirus. This Is Their Wild Response.

On March 30, the Tampa Bay Times published an eye-opening story concerning the Church of Scientology’s reaction to the COVID-19 pandemic. In the piece, journalist Tracey McManus reported that members of the Sea Org, the more militant wing of the church, were “still packing buses as they moved from living quarters to church buildings” and “sitting shoulder to shoulder” around Scientology’s Flag Building—or Spiritual Headquarters—in Clearwater, Florida. Furthermore, she quoted Clearwater City Councilman Mark Bunker who claimed, “It’s not a healthy situation. I’ve heard from a lot of family members, families who have been (estranged) from their kids in the Sea Org and they are worried to death about the conditions they are living in.” 

The Tampa Bay Times piece came on the heels of a March 24 story by Tony Ortega, the world’s leading Scientology reporter, who’d obtained a March 13 letter from Scientology leader David Miscavige to his adherents referring to the COVID-19 crisis as “the current hysteria” and “planetary bullbait.” 

“You can see he was totally being denialist about the whole thing,” Ortega told The Daily Beast. “Their big thing is ‘good works,’ or trying to make a show that Scientology helps society. The thing they came up with is they decided they have these chemicals that are the best at disinfecting the environment, and they’ve created these yellow-jacketed sanitation teams who go door-to-door offering to sanitize offices. They’re trying to turn it into some sort of public relations campaign.”  

The Church of Scientology says it’s using an “ozone water system” and “Decon7,” a cleaning agent, to combat the spread of the virus. (The Environmental Protection Agency told The Daily Beast that Decon7 “is currently included on EPA’s List N: Disinfectants for Use Against SARS-CoV-2”; they declined to comment on whether an “ozone water system” would have any effect on the virus.)

When The Daily Beast reached out to the Church of Scientology for comment on the safety precautions (or lack thereof) they were taking to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, we received a series of threatening letters from the church and their attorneys. 

A letter from the church called the Times piece “a litany of baldfaced lies” before boasting they “have been doing more than any other religious or nonreligious organization to respond to the threat,” including banning mass gatherings, distributing literature, sanitizing spaces, providing masks and gloves, and practicing social distancing. 

Then things got strange. They proceeded to accuse The Daily Beast of possessing a “perverted agenda,” adding, “If you actually look at what we have done, you will wish The Daily Beast had the protocols our Church leader put in our Churches. We are working to help others get through this—and that even includes you.” (Italics theirs.)

image.thumb.png.52b393d2c43aed460e8f241d32b900ad.png

image.thumb.png.497b915e1ff907dc117927fe686b4fac.pngimage.thumb.png.dbf63f99d9803b7c3d9c0c771da815d6.png

The following day, another letter arrived from a Jeffrey K. Riffer, attorney for the law firm Elkins Kalt Weintraub Reuben Gartside LLP. It read, in part: 

The world would be in a better condition today had governments and other organizations timely followed Mr. Miscavige’s lead.

The undisputed written evidence, physical evidence and millions of masks and gloves in Scientology evidence prove that Mr. Miscavige implemented massive proactive state-of-the-art actions before governments and other organizations. So, you have no story. 

Now that you are on written notice that your story is 100% false, any publication exposes you to the end of your career and The Daily Beast to the end of its existence (as happened when the jury awarded $140 million in a defamation lawsuit against Gawker, driving Gawker into bankruptcy). We hope that is not necessary.

[bolding by fraurosena]

If that weren’t enough, we received yet another letter from an Anthony M. Glassman, who works for the law firm Bergeson, LLP, which bills itself as “one of the Silicon Valley’s leading litigation law firms,” threatening that they would “file a lawsuit for defamation” if we published any story claiming that the Church of Scientology was not in compliance with the current COVID-19 guidelines. 

We reached out to the City of Clearwater for comment on Scientology’s COVID-19 practices and they forwarded us an email from Daniel Slaughter, chief of the Clearwater Police Department, who said that after speaking with Councilman Bunker and receiving a number of calls about Scientology’s compliance with CDC guidance concerning COVID-19, he personally “monitored the unloading of buses” to and from Scientology centers and found that they were “less occupied than normal”; that he spoke with a Scientology staffer who “advised he felt they were using best practices” concerning disinfecting; and that he did not witness “any violations of social distancing requirements,” although these “requirements would not extend inside of a residential unit.”

Chief Slaughter also said he observed activity in and outside the Flag Building, and that they appeared to be in compliance with social distancing, though their dining halls were “not regulated by the Governor’s executive order” because they “were exempt as a religious organization.” And, while he did not inspect Scientology’s auditing sessions himself, he said he spoke with a staffer there who “advised that they had created distance between the auditor and the parishioner, and the sessions involve two people.” Overall, Chief Slaughter determined that he didn’t see any “compliance issues.” 

“I just look at it and I go, all of these things are cosmetic,” says Mike Rinder, a former senior executive of the Church of Scientology and Sea Org turned whistleblower, on the church’s COVID-19 practices. “Scientologists believe that the only reason someone gets ill, or catches a virus, is because they’re what’s called ‘PTS.’ They’re connected to a ‘suppressive person.’ And as long as you’re not connected to a ‘suppressive person’ and you’re not ‘PTS,’ you will not get sick.”

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

Those letters.  My god.  "Don't you dare misrepresent the Church of the Church leader."  This is straight up North Korea. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

I did grocery pickup followed by a trip to a second store.  Wore my cloth mask ( from amazon) was not the Only person in the parking lot at Walmart with a mask on.  And the second small grocery store I went to, which is near one of the hospitals here) multiple folks shopping in the store had masks and some had gloves.  I’m opting for no gloves.  If the choice is between looking crazy or being sick, my choice is crazy

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

Then, I went down for a quick run to the grocery store, wearing my homemade mask, and saw no one else in the store wearing one, including the chief nursing officer at our hospital.    

I went on my now once monthly packie run (visit to a liquor store in Massachusetts) wearing my mask and gloves.  They had a self scan set up that seemed pretty effective.  Employees were wearing masks and gloves.

Not a single other patron in the store had a mask on. As I was scanning my beverages, some idiot came within two inches of me and yelled something in the general direction of my ear, trying to get the attention of an employee behind the counter.

It's not safe out there. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 4

3 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Ain't no stinking pandemic gonna stop this pastor from grifting! 

I would love it if someone would point out to these covidiot pastors that one of the 10 commandments is "Thou shalt not kill."

8 hour service? I know today's Palm Sunday, but the passion play is not a multi-hour event.

• Haha 2

I’m seeing breaking news reports that Boris Johnson has been admitted to hospital 10 days After diagnosis. As a precaution for tests.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

51 minutes ago, clueliss said:

I’m seeing breaking news reports that Boris Johnson has been admitted to hospital 10 days After diagnosis. As a precaution for tests.

This is true - Downing St said it’s a precaution but it is concerning. I do hope he is okay. His partner had symptoms but wasn’t tested (she is expecting a baby), so they’re probably trying to be super safe.

https://www.9news.com.au/world/coronavirus-boris-johnson-admitted-to-hospital-after-covid-19-diagnosis/01a57643-1029-4557-9466-4a4859b4e2fa

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, clueliss said:

I did grocery pickup followed by a trip to a second store.  Wore my cloth mask ( from amazon) was not the Only person in the parking lot at Walmart with a mask on.  And the second small grocery store I went to, which is near one of the hospitals here) multiple folks shopping in the store had masks and some had gloves.  I’m opting for no gloves.  If the choice is between looking crazy or being sick, my choice is crazy

I went grocery shopping yesterday - only doing major shopping once a month to limit time in stores and this is the first time since before lockdown - and I'd say about 80% of the people shopping were in masks and gloves, including me.  

When I came out of the second store I was SO glad I'd gone early as there were 40-50 people lined up in a drizzle waiting to get in, as they are limiting the amount of customers in the store.  

I was supposed to go in for a couple of hours tomorrow afternoon since no one else speaks the language of Comcast, but my car's brakes decided to grind.  I speak that language too and it means no more driving until repaired, so I have an appointment tomorrow morning with the dealer.  

On a surviving quarantine.... I've been binging Come Dine With Me all weekend and it's my new mindless guilty pleasure.  I blame show for why I've made a Black Forest Cake and made chicken in a new way tonight...full of adventure, but I get to enjoy them without four snarky strangers judging me.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 4

OK - the vicar just emailed me asking me if a box has arrived at the office. 

HELLO - I havent' been there in 3.5 weeks. 

How the hell would I know?

I can't wait till Easter is over  - again with respect. 

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 3

I’m sharing this ones for obvious reasons - have we quarantined the rescue ferrets?  

In other news issues with anti body tests 

Spoiler

And in the Bronx there is a confirmed case of covid19 in a tiger.  Some of the tigers and lions had dry coughs.  Likely picked up from an asymptotic caretaker.  I believe I read a couple of weeks ago that felines could catch the disease.

Spoiler

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

I’m sharing this ones for obvious reasons - have we quarantined the rescue ferrets?  

In other news issues with anti body tests 

Hide contents

And in the Bronx there is a confirmed case of covid19 in a tiger.  Some of the tigers and lions had dry coughs.  Likely picked up from an asymptotic caretaker.  I believe I read a couple of weeks ago that felines could catch the disease.

Reveal hidden contents

They're fine - quarantining with me and my family.None of us are wearing proper pants.  Humans are in sweats and jammie bottoms but the ferrets aren't even bothering with that.

Spoiler

678231fcbc0646c161acc226ef82f07b--ferret-outfits-ferret-clothes.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Love 13

For a break from all of the distressing coronavirus news, there's a forest fire in the Chernobyl area that's raising radiation readings.  I guess they didn't have enough rakes in the area to lower their fire risk. Just kidding.  That's incredibly depressing news but dark humor  is where I'm at today.

Above the fold in the Austin American Statesman this morning:  Coronavirus creeping into rural Texas:  UT researchers find virus likely spreading undetected in areas with few reported cases  (not linking; it's behind a paywall but the title makes clear what's going on to the surprise of exactly no one).  There are major swaths of Texas where hospitals have closed, or there was never a hospital and people are hours away from a doctor/clinic, let alone a hospital. 

The Austin public school system is now closed "indefinitely." 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 12
  • Sad 2

I have it, or at least, the ER doctors think I have it. I don’t qualify for testing because my fever isn’t high enough and they’re still going by the ridiculous measures of have you been in direct contact with someone, been overseas, etc, despite the fact that it’s spreading like wildfire in Boston. But I’ve got a sore throat, pain, cough, slight fever, etc.

I’ve been feeling ‘off’ for about a week but I have so many other diagnoses that it was really hard to figure out that my symptoms were unusual and were in the covid pattern, but then I talked to the on call doctor yesterday who sent me to the ER, and they said I almost certainly have it but don’t qualify for testing. I have actually been doing okay with it and emailed my family, just to let them know and then....all hell broke loose.

The problem is that I’ve been self-isolating with my mother, who is 72. I’ve been doing her errands, etc, for her. And she and I were together all last week when I was feeling ‘off’, and when my brother heard this he exploded at me and said that I should have known better than to expose her to it. I said that I thought it was just a fibromyalgia or IBS flare, and he said that I should have known better. My sister became convinced that I was steps away from death and called my mother to yell at her about how my mother wasn’t protecting me properly. I know that my siblings are assholes but this really illustrates it. It’s so damn ironic that for them, my disabilities render me either incapable of making big decisions and living my own life, or they mean that I should be gotten over them by now and omniscient about everything. I directly asked my doctor if it was okay if my mom was in the house with me, and she said yes so long as we did social distancing. So we did, but then all the relatives called her and she’s gone to her boyfriends until I get a test or 2 weeks have passed. (My doctors say 7 days but my relatives say 2 weeks.)

All I know is I hate everything right now but especially my siblings. I am doing the best I can with the information that I have but that is never good enough. I don’t even know if I have the damn virus because my symptoms aren’t that bad.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 27

Mizzou (University of Missouri) to continue online learning during Summer Semester.

And Columbia Public Schools made an announcement about grades. (pass or incomplete for middle & high school) 5th graders with ipads moving to paper packets (CPS had a lot of technical issues on their first week - last week - of online learning)

Spoiler

• Upvote 5

40 minutes ago, clueliss said:

Mizzou (University of Missouri) to continue online learning during Summer Semester.

The University I work for made the same announcement on Friday. And they officially cancelled Commencement. And they are allowing students to choose a Pass/No Pass option for their courses this semester rather than get graded. 

• Upvote 4

Continued here:

• Upvote 1

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic

I see the Wissmanns, who live in Nebraska (which isn't under a stay-at-home order, although gatherings of over 10 people are banned) nevertheless hauled the whole family to the other side of the state to visit one of their married daughters with 3 kids (1 an infant). Bible-thumping idiots.

https://wissmanns.blogspot.com/2020/04/ryan-ruths.html

• Upvote 2

What a fun way to teach young fundies from giving away pieces of their heart!

Act as if the other person has Covid-19.  The only cure for Covid-19 is more cowbell--I mean, a wedding.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I see the Wissmanns, who live in Nebraska (which isn't under a stay-at-home order, although gatherings of over 10 people are banned) nevertheless hauled the whole family to the other side of the state to visit one of their married daughters with 3 kids (1 an infant). Bible-thumping idiots.

https://wissmanns.blogspot.com/2020/04/ryan-ruths.html

A lot of fundies aren’t social distancing from their extended families. And they all have huge extended families. If it spread amongst the Wissmanns, it would infect a lot of people.

• Upvote 6

It's hard here in Hawai'i at least amongst most local groups, where big families and physical affection is huge. Then especially in O'ahu everyone is packed so densely...

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

A lot of fundies aren’t social distancing from their extended families. And they all have huge extended families. If it spread amongst the Wissmanns, it would infect a lot of people.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/coronavirus-new-jersey-covid-19-kills-4-members-fusco-family-freehold/

Yep, a bunch of deaths have been reported in an Italian Catholic New Jersey family from a big extended family gathering. It's so sad  I wouldnt wish it on the fundie families here. Except maybe Zsu and PO, but their children dont get it.

Edited by zee_four
forgot the link to the news story drrrr
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, zee_four said:

It's hard here in Hawai'i at least amongst most local groups, where big families and physical affection is huge. Then especially in O'ahu everyone is packed so densely...

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/coronavirus-new-jersey-covid-19-kills-4-members-fusco-family-freehold/

Yep, a bunch of deaths have been reported in an Italian Catholic New Jersey family from a big extended family gathering. It's so sad  I wouldnt wish it on the fundie families here. Except maybe Zsu and PO, but their children dont get it.

This also happened to a family in Louisiana. A mother of 11 or 12 children died and three of her children died from coronavirus. But these families got together and spread it before a lot of the social distancing rules were in place. These fundies know what’s recommended and they are actively ignoring it.

• Sad 4