IGNORED

Coronavirus

indianabones

On 3/16/2020 at 4:50 AM, Ozlsn said:

Schools aren't closing here, at least not in the short term. I suspect my workplace will transition to online and work from home next week. The trains were empty this morning, although the roads were apparently packed. 

And my husband has managed to get a non-coronavirus (according to GP) virus and is home sick. So now I just want to work from home so I can stop stressing. (Ok, more so I can change my stress focus from virus to work.) 

So far every social and running event I was involved with has been cancelled. At least this gives me more time to train better?

I think I just did the same thing...

Another reason to be thoroughly glad I am done with menopause. 

• Love 2

What's funny is that his gentle phrasing didn't catch on at all. Cali be like:  we are on lockdown!!!!11!1!!  We're laid back enough to be not only compliant but happy.  It used to be chill here. The last 10 years our city became very crowded and expensive.  We are back to being close to everything.  I met some Coloradans at a symposium and they remarked how we all spoke in time, not miles.  It's that bad. So, we will be going for some scenic rides for sure!  Hope gas doesn't get weird. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Beermeet said:

School just sent an email that kids will be out until 5/5. It was 4/13 but we all knew that would change.  I'd be surprised if they go back this school year.  I get the feeling they put a date on it for hope more than anything.  

Daughter just sent me a text saying the same date.  All the schools in that area must have gotten together.  

• I Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Daughter just sent me a text saying the same date.  All the schools in that area must have gotten together.  

Yes. LAUSD is leading the way. We have all quickly followed them. Most parents not in that district but around it actually Google them for our inevitable.  

If you want to do good from safety of your home-make face masks for local hospitals. Yes we are going back to 1950 prior to disposable face masks. I work in a ER at a major hospital in Phoenix and we finally got approvals to use homemade masks, since we do not have any. Thank You Fuckface vonClownstick (Jon Stewart's nickname) so if you have extra time and know basic sewing skills please please make your healthcare workers face masks. Call your local community health centers or hospital to see if they will accept them. Here is the instructions on how to make them. https://www.deaconess.com/How-to-make-a-Face-Mask. Every healthcare worker will thanks you. Just to let you know a real life story-I just got off a 12 hour shift and I wore the same mask the entire time instead of changing after every patient, we just do not have enough. So please help.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 7

2 hours ago, ragebaker said:

If you want to do good from safety of your home-make face masks for local hospitals. Yes we are going back to 1950 prior to disposable face masks. I work in a ER at a major hospital in Phoenix and we finally got approvals to use homemade masks, since we do not have any. Thank You Fuckface vonClownstick (Jon Stewart's nickname) so if you have extra time and know basic sewing skills please please make your healthcare workers face masks. Call your local community health centers or hospital to see if they will accept them. Here is the instructions on how to make them. https://www.deaconess.com/How-to-make-a-Face-Mask. Every healthcare worker will thanks you. Just to let you know a real life story-I just got off a 12 hour shift and I wore the same mask the entire time instead of changing after every patient, we just do not have enough. So please help.

WTF? A homemade cloth mask is utterly useless because it simply can't filter out the virus. Wearing it won't protect you from catching the virus, at the very most it can limit the amount of aerosol you emit and maybe, and it's a big maybe the has yet to be demonstrated, limit your infectiousness if you already have the virus and are unknowingly spreading It.

Edited by laPapessaGiovanna
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

Cloth masks, because why preparethr country when you knew about this back in January.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 6

11 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

This really annoys me - what duty of care does the employer have here to an employee who is obviously in an at risk category? Honestly I hope public transport is as dead quiet as it is here, and she's handwashing frequently

She's been in and out of meetings for the last 1.5 weeks when preparations for folks to work remotely started, so I think her options were discussed very thoroughly with her and she was probably given the option of working from home if she was able to get internet and a computer (my employer is not able to provide either of those at this time because any spare computers are being given to students and/or faculty who are teaching and learning remotely) or to just not come in (but she has no vacation or sick time- she calls out once or twice every week). Regardless, it's a crappy situation all around and I don't think she should be going in to work. However, public transportation here is very quiet and we are one of the least populated states in the country, so even our "cities" are not packed very densely. It just blows. It all blows. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

Ummmm....I've been talking to someone long distance. This quarantine thing is making it seem like a courtship. Video chatting, using hang outs, It's cool...I sort of like it. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

My hand is already looking way better. I think I figured out why it was bad around my wrist, so I slightly adjusted my hand washing technique (whilst still being thorough and doing the 20 seconds). It’s still there a bit, but it’s better than it was. 

9634CFC0-EF0F-42E7-B568-8AC1726618A8.thumb.jpeg.65dae33c4c375f9f2f7b13f26e5972e5.jpeg

• Upvote 4

So, I'm down to walking two dogs. One twice a day, five days a week. The other one has gone down from the same amount to three walks total. His mom messaged me today to say that she wanted to go down to one in order to save some money, and that just set me off. It seems like all of my clients but one are taking advantage of the pandemic as a way to pad their savings account. For people who work for Amazon and Microsoft and are making the exact same amount of money working at home that they do working on site, I can't help but be rather disgusted by them and their complete lack of consideration towards those of us who don't make three figure salaries.

• Sad 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 8

10 hours ago, indianabones said:

It seems like all of my clients but one are taking advantage of the pandemic as a way to pad their savings account. For people who work for Amazon and Microsoft and are making the exact same amount of money working at home that they do working on site, I can't help but be rather disgusted by them and their complete lack of consideration towards those of us who don't make three figure salaries.

I'm sorry. I don't make enough to hire any employees, but I will try to keep this in mind when deciding on whether to make some online purchases especially from smaller shops, including for previously planned purchases like new spring clothes. 

This leads into an ethical question I've had: As I live alone and am a misanthropist at heart, I can hunker down with my groceries for weeks and not contact anyone. Should I still get some takeout occasionally to support local restaurants? Or is limiting my exposure to others the top priority?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

This leads into an ethical question I've had: As I live alone and am a misanthropist at heart, I can hunker down with my groceries for weeks and not contact anyone. Should I still get some takeout occasionally to support local restaurants? Or is limiting my exposure to others the top priority?

im in a similar boat. ive decided that I will support in ways that I usually wouldn't during this time- for example ive increased my contact with my personal trainer (I only ever see him in a private gym that is wiped down completely) from twice a week to 4x a week since my gym is closed for the foreseeable future. A friend of mine is offering some services to friends to help keep her afloat during this time- I immediately took advantage of her offers so that I could do my part to help keep her income flowing. 

My local SPCA is closing to the public. This means that all volunteers won't be allowed in for the time being, only staff. This means that they needed to get as many animals in to fosters as possible. Which means ive somehow acquired a very nice dog, even though I am not a dog person, lol. My very old neighbor is not pleased. I am ignoring his comments lol and trying to enjoy my temporary friend :) 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 6

29 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

I'm sorry. I don't make enough to hire any employees, but I will try to keep this in mind when deciding on whether to make some online purchases especially from smaller shops, including for previously planned purchases like new spring clothes. 

I’ve been having the same dilemma.  Do I order in occasionally from the mom and pop pizza and Chinese we use to help?  

But tbh with how even sick people aren’t getting tested here unless in bad shape I’m nervous to eat food prepared by people who may be unknowing carriers (as we all could be unknowing carriers.)

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

8 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I’ve been having the same dilemma.  Do I order in occasionally from the mom and pop pizza and Chinese we use to help?  

But tbh with how even sick people aren’t getting tested here unless in bad shape I’m nervous to eat food prepared by people who may be unknowing carriers (as we all could be unknowing carriers.)

Is there any food from that restaurant that is good reheated? You could always order "leftovers" if you are nervous about them possibly being asymptomatic- shove it in the microwave or oven as soon as you get it home and any germs would be killed?? If I am totally off base on how killing a virus works please forgive me. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

39 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Get the takeout, pay over the phone or online, and ask them to leave it outside your door if possible. All of the delivery places here are willing to do those steps. And if you can afford it, leave a nice big tip.

• Upvote 9

8 minutes ago, Belugaloo said:

Is there any food from that restaurant that is good reheated? You could always order "leftovers" if you are nervous about them possibly being asymptomatic- shove it in the microwave or oven as soon as you get it home and any germs would be killed?? If I am totally off base on how killing a virus works please forgive me. :)

Fun fact- there have been no reported cases of virus transmission from surfaces or food. Everyone who's been infected (except for perhaps the original case) got it from in-person contact. Given how strict restaurants have become about food safety you should be fine.

Here's a very informative article I read the other day with more details.

• Thank You 3

I’m still getting takeout. I live in a town with very limited food options. I need them all to survive this.

• Upvote 11

25 minutes ago, indianabones said:

Get the takeout, pay over the phone or online, and ask them to leave it outside your door if possible. All of the delivery places here are willing to do those steps. And if you can afford it, leave a nice big tip.

Unfortunately, I can't have them leave it at my doorstep because I live in a cottage on the back of my landlord's property and I've learned no one can figure out how to get to the gate that leads to my house. I have to pick up in person. I have been tipping well though. 

I do think I will get takeout at least once a week, to mix things up at the very least. 

• Upvote 2

We ordered take out this week. We live in a small town and I'm very worried for all the small business owners. My husband and I have a list of those we'll try to make purchases from as we're able. Most are offering curbside pick up or delivery to try to stay open. 

We even ordered beer from the local brewery for delivery. We paid by phone, the guy set it down on our step and stepped back, my husband laid down a tip and stepped back, and they both chuckled about how strange the interaction was.

Last night we ordered from a restaurant that's delicious but not a high traffic one (it's a little pricier than some others in our area). We paid by phone. We dumped the food from the containers onto plates, disposed of the containers, and immediately washed our hands before eating. 

We are both lucky enough to be getting paid through this (hopefully my job won't close down since we're all working from home), so even though we don't have much for "extra" spending, we're trying to keep what we do spend in our community. 

• Upvote 8

@indianabones Some people may be padding their savings accounts during this time. But others are financially supporting people who don’t live with them. Possibly parents, children or even people not related to them. ❤️

• Upvote 7
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, Destiny said:

I’m still getting takeout. I live in a town with very limited food options. I need them all to survive this.

We have ordered out as well.  Partly to help our usual take out places and partly saving the food stock we have,which isn't much.  I am laid off. My husband may be.  I have to cut back.  I don't have much beyond bills though.  Gardner and I can keep doing that for sure.  

A friend posted on FB that since she is able to fully work from home, she will not get her house cleaned or go to her regularly scheduled hair appointments but will pay them as if she is.  It was an uplifting post and helped a few people realize that they can do that too. :)

• Upvote 8

Dallas county has just ordered shelter in place and my county is have an emergency meeting as we speak. 

My anxiety level is now off the chain. Really afraid. 

• Love 11

6 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Unfortunately, I can't have them leave it at my doorstep because I live in a cottage on the back of my landlord's property and I've learned no one can figure out how to get to the gate that leads to my house. I have to pick up in person. I have been tipping well though. 

I do think I will get takeout at least once a week, to mix things up at the very least. 

put a box outside the gate and get them to text you when it is there. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic