IGNORED

Dillards 83: WTG JILL - PUBLIC SCHOOL!!!

HerNameIsBuffy

12 hours ago, CheeseGirl said:

Public school also means Jill and Derick will continue vaccinating their children ?

What @fundiefollowersaid. It is actually very too easy to get vaccination exemptions in Arkansas. Print off a form on the internet, sign to say you understand the risks (and that if there’s an outbreak, your child will have to stay home for 21 days), then submit it to Arkansas Department of Health. No one will give you trouble about it... 

Edited by Marionette
They beat me to it. ?
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 5

1 hour ago, Marionette said:

What @fundiefollowersaid. It is actually very too easy to get vaccination exemptions in Arkansas. Print off a form on the internet, sign to say you understand the risks (and that if there’s an outbreak, your child will have to stay home for 21 days), then submit it to Arkansas Department of Health. No one will give you trouble about it... 

I know Virginia has a very lenient "religious exemption" for people who don't want to vaccinate. I heard two teenagers joking about it recently and one was open that her parents were atheists, they were just anti-vaxxers and so used the exemption. I somehow managed to shut my mouth for once and just silently seethed. 

I thought that unvaccinated children were allowed in public schools in all states, and this was going to be the next big battle?

I loathe anti-vaxxers with every shred of my being but don't know how public schools could preclude non-vaccinated children without violating the Establishment Clause, especially in regards to devout Christian Scientists. 

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 2

I used to be a volunteer school nurse at my kids’ Catholic elementary school. I was the person who provided vaccine info to parents and maintained student immunization records. What I have always stressed with parents concerned about unvaccinated aged children being in the school is that the unvaccinated children are the ones at greatest risk, so it was reallllly important for herd protection/immunity to make absolutely certain that their own kids were fully vaccinated on the recommended schedule. When we had disease outbreaks, the unvaccinated were not permitted to attend school per the diocese’s policy.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

I know Virginia has a very lenient "religious exemption" for people who don't want to vaccinate. I heard two teenagers joking about it recently and one was open that her parents were atheists, they were just anti-vaxxers and so used the exemption. I somehow managed to shut my mouth for once and just silently seethed. 

I am in IL and this was some time ago but my anti-vax SIL got a religious exemption for my niece which really ticked me off.  Not just because SIL was in no way religious but she bought into the same anti-vax woo as her mother.   MIL got her own naprapath (bear in mind this was MIL's provider, SIL and niece were not patients) to sign off on the exemption because no way would SIL's pediatrician do it.    

Edited by nokidsmom
  • Angry 2
  • WTF 1

I got curious and googled the exemption in my state (Colorado). If you have a medical reason, get a dr's note and your fine. If you're just an anti vaxer, than you must get a new exemption every year, on top of every time a vaccination cycle goes around. They make it as onerous as possible.

• Upvote 3

I was pleasantly surprised when california removed our personal belief exception for vaccinations. I have no idea how easy it is to get medical exemptions though. I just remember Jim Carrey being really mad about it and posting pictures of other people's children in distress without their permission. What a class act.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1
  • Love 1

Just talked to ww boy. He said he has to show work in all of his university courses. He actually told me about how it saved his ass on his midterm calc exam because of the partial credit he obtained on a few of the problems he struggled with.

Edited by TheWayTheWorldWorks
Correct words are helpful
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 2

Religious exception is no longer a thing in NY. It's caused a lot of issues with the ultra Orthodox. They even closed all their private schools for a bit. I'm glad tho. Kids should be vaccinated. That measles/mumps outbreak a few years ago scared me shitless.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 7

https://www.oregon.gov/OHA/PH/PreventionWellness/VaccinesImmunization/GettingImmunized/Pages/non-medical-exemption.aspx

This is what they're making people do in Oregon that want the non-medical exemption. Forced education modules.

It's good, I think, for the college age students. If we can catch all our various homeschoolers before entering their next level of school - then this could help.

Not as much as requiring the vaccinations, but it's an interesting approach.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

On 2/25/2020 at 7:40 PM, SassyPants said:

Correct me if I am wrong, wasn’t Michelle also actively and physically involved in those businesses? Also, I’m sure I read somewhere that JB Duggar was known for bringing his kids to work when he was in state government.

Oh yes! She towed cars, sold cars, had real estate/insurance licenses, wore pants then encountered Gothard. JimBob esp liked to take Josh to the State House during his brief tenure as an elected official, but he has taught his kids lots of stuff--or had others teach them. Honestly, that's one of the few things I can admire--all that they have learned to do.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

I am a current public high school math teacher and my students 100% know that they have to show work to get full credit for an answer because if they just put a number there is no way that I know they didn’t cheat and copy it from someone else or use their phone to get it despite my constant watching for phones. I don’t remember who said it above about telling their students that showing their work teaches them how to explain complex problems better, but that is the same thing I tell my students because that is a skill that is necessary in most jobs. My Geometry students are currently writing proofs for the first time and I am constantly reminding them that they need to write out every step of the proof because someone should be able to read their proof and easily be able to follow the logical argument they’ve created, and someone can’t do that if they do not write out every step. I am sorry to hear that your children had poor experiences in school @feministxtian but I can assure you that not all, and I would venture to say not most, high schools have gang activity and bomb threats that impede the educational process. In my time both as a student and as a teacher who has taught in multiple districts, I have never experienced either of those things. I will agree with the trend I’m seeing that parents do seem to care less about their children’s education than they used to though because I’ve had numerous occasions where I have emailed a parent to inform them that their child has not made up or turned in an assignment and they just allow their child to leave it in the grade book as a 0. That astounds me since I have students that would rather take a 0 for not making up a test than actually taking the test. 

Sorry for how long this is, education is my soapbox if you couldn’t tell ?

I teach in Pittsburgh. Until 2018, I taught in a PreK-8 school. (I now teach in a PreK-5 school in a different neighborhood ~4 miles away from my old school, and we have no evidence of gang activity in our school). We absolutely had gang activity, both within the school, and in the students’ communities. The police even came to talk to us about it with recommendations on how to keep the students as safe as possible while in school, and when arriving/leaving. And that wasn’t even high school level yet. I think gang activity varies widely depending on your location. It’s an accepted reality here. 

Edited by monkeyrocks71
Clarify where I am now and how different a few miles can be
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, fundiefollower said:

I have a couple of friends who don't vax (we do not ever discuss that topic any more) and they have had zero issues from the school system.

I couldn't be friends with folks who didn't fax for non-medical reasons. They are a danger to public health. I would not want my child in a classroom with unvaccinated kids.

People who don't vaccinate their children count on their children being protected because of herd immunity, without realizing that not vaccinating reduces herd immunity. 

6 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I loathe anti-vaxxers with every shred of my being

me too

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

On 2/27/2020 at 2:37 AM, feministxtian said:

That's some bullshit right there...college? They don't give a fuck how you got the answer. Social Skills? How the hell can you learn "social skills" when it's like a riot on a daily basis, bomb threats, gangs? You're too busy trying to avoid attention so you don't get your ass beat. Bullying, semi-illiterate teachers, fuck that noise...I can't tell you how many teachers' notes I sent back with the grammar corrected. I talked to the teachers in my family and they all sort of shrugged their shoulders...

uh okay so I was homeschooled, but I did ALSO attend public school, full time in 2nd grade and then for various classes throughout middle and highschool and "Trying to avoid attention so you don't get your ass beat" was never my experience. I did have issues with bullies, I was an autistic girl in middle school, you may have well put a target on my back. But I never "got my ass beat". All my teachers were very literate (several in multiple languages, and yes this was public school), but they were over worked and underpaid so correcting their grammar mostly just sounds like an asshole move to me. To me, it doesn't sound like the school was the one with the issue, it sounds like you're the one with the problem. 

• Upvote 17
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 12

Derick has said they vax the kids.  He mentioned it in the comments of a post about getting his flu shot for the year.  Since they have already started vaccinations I think being in a public school and being exposed to a wider variety of viewpoints will mean they continue to stay up to date with them.  I know exemptions are a possibility but, I don't see them changing course.  I live in the same neck of the woods as the Duggars/Dillards and there was a big mumps or measles outbreak a few years ago in either their school district or the district just south of them.  Maybe it was both.  It was the winter my grandma died, so I was distracted and out of state a lot dealing with arrangements so I can't remember if it was Rogers or Springdale.

• Upvote 16
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

On 2/26/2020 at 11:50 AM, FunDieDumDum said:

I think it’s fantastic news like everyone else, but I’m wondering about something which I haven’t seen anyone else mention yet...

Isn’t this an unusual time to enroll a child in Kindergarten? Doesn’t that normally occur in August or September? I guess it’s better than waiting more than half a year, but why the strange timing?

Our local districts are doing their Kinder round ups here in the near future. We don't have assessments, but it's to make sure as many as possible are registered in advance, and if you need shots or anything, you have time to get them. It makes for less chaos at the beginning of the year

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

I couldn't be friends with folks who didn't fax for non-medical reasons. They are a danger to public health. I would not want my child in a classroom with unvaccinated kids.

I don't blame you one bit.  Back in the late 70s/early 80s, my sister was missing one of her booster shots.  The school got wind of it...and my sister was excluded from school until she received the shot.  This was in MA and they didn't play around back then.

Out of curiosity, I googled the MA vaccination requirements and now they do allow for medical and religious exemptions.  They admit most exemptions are "religious".   They also provide a breakdown by county showing which percentage of kindergarten students have an exemption.  Western MA, Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard have the highest rates of exemptions, and  Suffolk County (Boston) has the lowest.  Pretty interesting stuff. 

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/school-immunizations     

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Ali said:

I teach high school geometry and I have a student who puts down sarcastic answers like yours. It is hard keeping a straight face sometimes. 

Secondary education is pushing trades and vocational training more right now, so making a big deal out of not have a college degree is pure ignorance. My district has multiple programs for students who do not want to take the college route. I have not met a teacher who would not be supportive of students pursuing a a trade and  not going to college.

I learned quickly if I could make my math teacher crack he was more likely to give me a little credit for a problem I struggled with.

Honestly I wish schools had done that when I was in school. If they would have explained real world applications to the classes I was taking I probably would have paid more attention.  

7 hours ago, Peaches-n-Beans said:

uh okay so I was homeschooled, but I did ALSO attend public school, full time in 2nd grade and then for various classes throughout middle and highschool and "Trying to avoid attention so you don't get your ass beat" was never my experience. I did have issues with bullies, I was an autistic girl in middle school, you may have well put a target on my back. But I never "got my ass beat". All my teachers were very literate (several in multiple languages, and yes this was public school), but they were over worked and underpaid so correcting their grammar mostly just sounds like an asshole move to me. To me, it doesn't sound like the school was the one with the issue, it sounds like you're the one with the problem. 

Wow.  That's certainly victim blaming.

• Downvote 11
  • Confused 2
  • WTF 5

8 hours ago, CheeseGirl said:

Derick has said they vax the kids

Happy to read that. I'm surprised, having seen Jill in her risky "natural" deliveries and seeing how antivax some of her friends are. Dance, school and vax? She's getting wild!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

18 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

Religious exception is no longer a thing in NY. It's caused a lot of issues with the ultra Orthodox. They even closed all their private schools for a bit. I'm glad tho. Kids should be vaccinated. That measles/mumps outbreak a few years ago scared me shitless.

I never understood how anti-vaxxing became a thing among the ultra-Orthodox, when my understanding is that all of the rabbis very vocally made it clear that they approved of and encouraged vaccinations?

I do wonder how removing religious exemption works constitutionally, especially for established denominations like Christian Scientists who have been consistent for over a century in believing medical care violates the inherent beliefs of their religion. I suppose the "poses a danger to others" argument could work. 

(I had a CS classmate in public high school and she was allowed to take a modified astronomy class--which our school didn't actually offer--rather than take biology as was required for everyone else. She sat out health class and sex ed and could leave other classes if they began talking about cells or germs. She also had never been to a doctor so I realize now she was not vaccinated.)

Edited by nausicaa
  • WTF 3

So, according to stories posted on Instagram by both Jinger and Lauren, there is a "ladies breakfast" going on in Arkansas with all the Duggar women. I don't see Jill in the pictures/video. I really hope that she is in a place emotionally where she doesn't care, or that she was invited but couldn't attend. Otherwise, I feel very sorry for her. That must hurt.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 11

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic