IGNORED

Maxwell 35: Choosing The Right Vest For an Extended Family Member

Coconut Flan

Sarah said on the blog that Kyle and Elizabeth were born 6 days apart back in 2018. And now Simon and Caleb were born 7 days apart.

• Upvote 8

13 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Cutie. 

What you wanna bet he’ll be called Caleb, or Alexander, but hardly ever CalebAlexander?  Cousin SimonPeter will have the exclusive on the two-named identity! 

As someone who uses a double name* in real life, I support Simon Peter's right to spend the rest of his life explaining to people that it is two words, no hyphen.

*except at Starbucks, where they get my first name only.

• Upvote 6

The name, meh. I don't hate it. It's at least an actual name and not a kreative jebus meaning moniker. 

Also glad he's a boy. He will at least have a chance at a life of his own, eventually. I feel bad for Calia though because she is what, all of 4? 5? and has two manly men little brothers to take care of and worship. 

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 1

I think it’s just a coincidence that the third letter of all their names is “L”. 
Calia is 4. Given that Kyle isn’t two yet and Caleb has only just been born, I doubt she’s doing much sister-momming at the moment. She may be helping a little bit but she won’t be able to do much. She’ll probably be doing more in a couple of years though. If Elissa keeps having a baby every two years I do hope Calia gets a sister she can share the load with. Abby probably does a lot of sister-mom stuff but she has Bethany to help out, and Christina too. Ruthanne is much younger than Abby (Abby is 11 and Ruthanne 5) but Lydia is just 13 months younger. 

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

I think it’s just a coincidence that the third letter of all their names is “L”. 
Calia is 4. Given that Kyle isn’t two yet and Caleb has only just been born, I doubt she’s doing much sister-momming at the moment. She may be helping a little bit but she won’t be able to do much. She’ll probably be doing more in a couple of years though. If Elissa keeps having a baby every two years I do hope Calia gets a sister she can share the load with. Abby probably does a lot of sister-mom stuff but she has Bethany to help out, and Christina too. Ruthanne is much younger than Abby (Abby is 11 and Ruthanne 5) but Lydia is just 13 months younger. 

In anything resembling a normal world, that would probably be likely. But, these are fundies. Abby was doing chore packs at 3 and "loved" helping mommy around the house. In other families, the Mortons for example - and Alyssa, specifically - for Norah's 3rd birthday, included in her birthday post is how much she "loves to help" and is such a good big sister taking care of the little ones. Not playing with them, taking care of them.

I just can't see her not being a little mama's helper. 

• Upvote 13

15 hours ago, Dandruff said:

With the same third letter.  Perhaps Calvin or Kelly for a future son or daughter?

Calvin Hobbes Maxwell

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 11
  • Love 10

They were asked if Elissa and Joseph are doing a theme, and Teri said she didn't ask. You'd think if they were doing a theme, this would come up. I mean, what do they have to talk about when they all get together? 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Calgon

Calisthenic

Killjoy

Don't forget Killroy (in case Killjoy is a twin)

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 7
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, fundiefan said:

In anything resembling a normal world, that would probably be likely. But, these are fundies. Abby was doing chore packs at 3 and "loved" helping mommy around the house. In other families, the Mortons for example - and Alyssa, specifically - for Norah's 3rd birthday, included in her birthday post is how much she "loves to help" and is such a good big sister taking care of the little ones. Not playing with them, taking care of them.

Fair enough. Seeing as how Joseph, Elissa and their kids don’t often feature on the blog, we don’t know for sure what Calia does. But yeah she probably has a ChorePak. 
Sucks, really. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

11 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Caledonia

Welcome to the world, adorable Caleb. Sorry you were born to the Maxhell part of it.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Love 3

@thoughtful,  what a pity that a little Calvin Hobbes Maxwell would never be allowed to read and fall in love with the brilliance of Calvin and Hobbes.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, thoughtful said:

Welcome to the world, adorable Caleb. Sorry you were born to the Maxhell part of it.

That’s exactly what I thought of! Big Mama JB used to sing it! 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Fundies with big families sure abuse their kids putting them too much responsibilities and chores. But also exaggerate and are experts in rewording the reality. Fundie or not, a 3 year old "helping" means picking up the toys or putting the spoons on the table for dinner etc. Exactly what no-fundie children do in heathens homes. With the main difference that fundie ones get a hard treatment if disobey.

I think the big difference is when they are around 8 years old. A child that age can do much more and fundies take advantage of them. But at 3, 4, 5 their abilities are just very limitate to be a real help.

A 3 year old cannot care for a baby. No matter what mothers say. Putting a pacifier in the baby mouth or entertaining the baby with a toy for several minutes, does not count as looking after , no matter what fundies pretend. If a baby is in distress or hungry or dirty, absolutely no 3 year old can do anything. Cannot make the baby sleep. Cannot safely feed it. Cannot safely push a stroller. Etc. Also I wouldn't trust a 3 year old for "babysitting" unsupervised, because their hands are often dirty and specially because they are not aware of dangers! but I suppose at #7 nobody cares.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

I finally got around to reading Sarah's birthday post.  It was a big improvement over Teri's loving post from last year.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

On 1/21/2020 at 6:08 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I get that, but people who aren't conventionally attractive get married all the time.  And while there are definitely conventional standards in our society, what people are attracted to personally is often far more subjective.  And the nicer and more interesting I find someone the better looking they get to me.  

Idk - someone married Smuggar who I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole so I figure there is hope for everyone.

Late to the party but if attractiveness was the biggest criteria in fundieland, Luke Arndt would have them lined up at the door.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 8

23 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Late to the party but if attractiveness was the biggest criteria in fundieland, Luke Arndt would have them lined up at the door.

This may be the first time you've remembered his name without having to ask me.  Things must be getting serious.

He's the one who looks most like his dad so ...how do you feel about Rick?  :)

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5

15 hours ago, anjulibai said:

They were asked if Elissa and Joseph are doing a theme, and Teri said she didn't ask. You'd think if they were doing a theme, this would come up. I mean, what do they have to talk about when they all get together? 

It wasn't on the schedule to ask. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 17
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

This may be the first time you've remembered his name without having to ask me.  Things must be getting serious.

SHUT UP.  LIAR!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 11

37 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I mean, if you overlook the crazy, the terrible acting skills, and the weird pumpkin massaging fetish...he's kind of a handsome older man. :embarrassed:

Luke is still way cuter though. Even going up against a 30 year old Rick. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

1 minute ago, nausicaa said:

I mean, if you overlook the crazy, the terrible acting skills, and the weird pumpkin massaging fetish...he's kind of a handsome older man. :embarrassed:

Luke is still way cuter though. Even going up against a 30 year old Rick. 

I am far too old to find any of the Arndt boys attractive in any way beyond, "what a handsome young man."  

In Arndtville, Nellie is our version of Samantha in Sex in the City while I am Aunt Bee.

And yes, looking past the crazy and going strictly on physical traits I do think Rick is a very handsome man.  

Idk about the last - videos of 30 something Rick being such a caring and hands on parent, and genuinely affectionate with his boys melts my heart.  

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

I actually think Caleb Alexander is a nice name.  I wonder if Alexander is for Alexander the Great who was also gay but you won't learn that at SOTDRT.  I also think when Griselda Teri said she didn't ask it's code for "none of your business".

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 6

As much as we despise the Maxwells and pretty much everything they represent, I have to give credit to them for raising training their sons to be somewhat useful around the house. They are not lazy like the Duggars or Bateses, for example, and the menfolk seem to participate in household chores, even if it is doing the dishes or cooking occasionally or something else that is pretty much given in most of our heathen relationships. Remember when Joe and JD Duggar stayed back at home at TTH when the rest of the family were in Little Rock because of Josie's premature birth? The older girls took a roadtrip back home because their brothers could/would not do their own fucking laundry or clean the house or throw away rotting fruit and vegetables... I'm pretty sure something like that would never happen at Maxhell. That's why I have a tiny bit of hope that Calia won't be doing chores on her own but with her brothers. One can hope!

• Upvote 20

10 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Fundies with big families sure abuse their kids putting them too much responsibilities and chores. But also exaggerate and are experts in rewording the reality. Fundie or not, a 3 year old "helping" means picking up the toys or putting the spoons on the table for dinner etc. Exactly what no-fundie children do in heathens homes. With the main difference that fundie ones get a hard treatment if disobey.

I think the big difference is when they are around 8 years old. A child that age can do much more and fundies take advantage of them. But at 3, 4, 5 their abilities are just very limitate to be a real help.

A 3 year old cannot care for a baby. No matter what mothers say. Putting a pacifier in the baby mouth or entertaining the baby with a toy for several minutes, does not count as looking after , no matter what fundies pretend. If a baby is in distress or hungry or dirty, absolutely no 3 year old can do anything. Cannot make the baby sleep. Cannot safely feed it. Cannot safely push a stroller. Etc. Also I wouldn't trust a 3 year old for "babysitting" unsupervised, because their hands are often dirty and specially because they are not aware of dangers! but I suppose at #7 nobody cares.

My husband is from a large family. He is number 5 born in 4.5 years time, all singletons (4 males,1female). My husband is convinced his sister changed his diapers. His sister would have been 2 when he was born. Um, no buddy, she did not change your diapers, unless you were still in a diaper at 6 or 7.  She very likely did care for and change the diapers of kids 6,7,8... who were born after a much needed maternal pregnancy break.

This was in the 50s, so cloth diapers with actual pins. No, 2 YOs weren’t changing diapers.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

My husband is convinced his sister changed his diapers. His sister would have been 2 when he was born.

My daughter was almost 2 when my youngest son was born and she looooved helping with the baby.  Which consisted of my letting her hand me a diaper and gently patting him with a towel after a bath.  

There is a reason even when child labor was a regular thing toddler's weren't running housekeeping services.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic