IGNORED

Maxwell 35: Choosing The Right Vest For an Extended Family Member

Coconut Flan

This is from the comments on the grocery blog post:

Spoiler

Teri Maxwell says:

January 29, 2020 at 2:29 pm 

That makes sense. At our house, Jesse likes to have extra protein because of his weight lifting workouts so he usually has a stash of chicken or beef that he has purchased and then prepared so that he can easily heat it up for his lunch.

I can see Steve or Teri saying we will buy X ounces of meat per Maxwell adult child per day, and if they exceed that they have to buy their own. Jesse may get allotted a few more ounces because he is a man after all. 

Spoiler

J.P says:

January 29, 2020 at 2:58 pm 

how do the girls make money?

Teri Maxwell says:

January 29, 2020 at 4:29 pm 

That would be a topic for another blog post.

I am surprised this comment wasn't deleted, and I can't wait to see that blog post! 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

I have to admit, reading the comments on the grocery post, I was surprised by how many of their readers have multiple adult children living at home. I love my kids. I love when they come to visit. Two of my three have  moved home temporarily when life threw them a curveball and they needed time to recover (financially or emotionally). They are always welcome to do that but I really don't see it happening again.

• Upvote 9

Well if they’re Maxwell humpers they’re gonna be encouraging their kids to live at home till marriage. I’m still at home, unemployed but looking. Plus I live in London which is super expensive so, even when I get a job, it’ll be a while before I can move out.

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, Black Aliss said:

I have to admit, reading the comments on the grocery post, I was surprised by how many of their readers have multiple adult children living at home. I love my kids. I love when they come to visit. Two of my three have  moved home temporarily when life threw them a curveball and they needed time to recover (financially or emotionally). They are always welcome to do that but I really don't see it happening again.

{Bolding Mine} We have always told our kids that we are there for them like this if/when the need arises. We will be a port in the storm for them. I am thankful our new home has enough room for them if they ever need to live with us for a while. My mother has two bedrooms but will not even put a bed in the second bedroom. I hate knowing she doesn’t even have room for me when I drive six hours to visit her. We have to stay in a hotel. 

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 2

I am actually surprised by the comments because the posters are talking about adult kids who work outside the home, go to college and even one wrote about living alone for a year before marriage. I am surprised they weren’t all deleted. Those people have their adult kids living at home but they are working and going to school, it is not the same for the Maxwells. 

I don’t think Sarah, Anna and Mary have much income. I do think Sarah receives money from her books but I don’t see it as being enough to sustain her if she was living alone or even with a roommate. It’s hard to make money writing, especially when you are self published. I think her books sold well at those homeschool conferences but I think it just makes for a nice small savings account. Many writers who are on bestseller lists still have to work regular jobs. I know Anna and/Mary supposedly help out their brother(s) in their business but I doubt it pays much and is probably under the table with varying hours. Steve and Teri can control them because they know their daughters need them to keep a roof over their heads and food on their plates. 

• Upvote 14
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 4

3 hours ago, ifosterkittens said:

am surprised this comment wasn't deleted, and I can't wait to see that blog post!

They will lie. As usual.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

13 hours ago, Alisamer said:

It's pretty funny Teri would post something like this, even just as a lead-in to explaining how their superior family handles things - considering that their family situation is so far out of the norm that what anyone else does probably wouldn't apply.

Surely they realize that most people who have adult children living with them (if they aren't working) encourage them to get real jobs with the intention of moving out on their own at some point. I'd bet most adult children living at home have jobs, or are looking for jobs, or are home for some specific reason such as caring for an ailing parent. The Maxwell girls are in a completely different situation! They're at home because they've been brainwashed by their parents into believing they have to be. 

Steve better not be dipping into the girls' money for groceries. If they'd chosen to live at home, sure, they should contribute financially. But they haven't chosen anything. They're kept there as free labor, and have been for decades in Sarah's case. 

I agree!

I just got home from yoga so all the blood has gone from my brain into my leg and shoulder muscles ? but I’ll try really hard to make sense!

Our adult son is living at home because he has been unable to find a job (he is genuinely trying hard) and he has zero money. It is hard for everyone. We buy all of his food as well (like I said - he has no money and we won’t let him starve) but he hates it. He wants to work because he knows it could be different.

On the other hand, it’s hard for us because he is our child and at the same time he’s an adult with his own ideas about life. He makes choices we don’t agree with but we don’t say much because he’s already in a situation he’s unhappy about.

Anyway I’m rambling and I need a glass of wine. I’ve forgotten my point as well. I think it was that I would never charge my adult child to live at home (food, rent/board) if there was no choice for them. And the Maxwell girls truly don’t have a choice.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 8

9 hours ago, theologygeek said:

Even if they're not around that much, they're still around sometimes.  It takes two seconds to ask if they are doing the C/K sound for names.  It's odd to me that no one in that family thought to ask.  What on earth do they all talk about?  

I think in the mornings they talk about Jesus, schedules and judging people who aren’t them. 

In the afternoon they switch things up and talk about schedules, Jesus and judging people who aren’t them.

At night they talk about who they are going to judge people who aren’t them tomorrow, Jesus and to round out a full day of talking to the same people they talk to every day - schedules.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 24
  • I Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Botkinetti said:

I think in the mornings they talk about Jesus, schedules and judging people who aren’t them. 

In the afternoon they switch things up and talk about schedules, Jesus and judging people who aren’t them.

At night they talk about who they are going to judge people who aren’t them tomorrow, Jesus and to round out a full day of talking to the same people they talk to every day - schedules.

I think in between, if they can, they pray about what to put on next week's schedule, weep over the contrasting buttons on the shirt of the slutty woman who just walked by, and probably get interrogated to make sure no one is having any sort of independent thought. They also, if they can fit it in, have to help Sarah name the characters in her next book.

16 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Rule after rule just convinces me more their whole set up is to protect Steve from his own lust for other women.

Yep. I really am starting more and more to believe that Steve is just a dirty old man with what he considers a shameful past, so he's punishing himself while controlling his family like crazy in hopes they don't do anything "sinful" ever. 

Too bad they don't seem to think mental health actually exists or matters, because Steve could really use a good counselor. He's abusing his family by being so controlling.

I love how they're so smug about their kids "being wise with their money". How could they be UNWISE? They all, literally, are monitored more closely than people on house arrest or probation are. Every website they visit, mom gets a report. They are scheduled within an inch of their lives. Anything they enjoy too much is declared an "idol". I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if every cent they spend is reviewed by Steve, based on how regulated the rest of their lives are. And any slight infraction is probably met by a family prayer session full of weeping.

And the money they do have? The boys are expected to save every cent to buy a house debt free. The girls, I'm sure, have some savings stashed away for their eventual weddings. 

Think about it. Sarah is what... 38? And mommy gets a report of every detail of her internet activity, daily. She has scheduled chores. Her clothing has to meet dad's strict standards. They might as well just get her an ankle monitor, for all the freedom she has. 

Steve is an awful father and an awful human being. And Teri contributes and enables him.

• Upvote 29
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

On 1/28/2020 at 7:13 PM, theologygeek said:

I saw that and signed into fj to see if it was being talked about.  It was odd that no one in the family brought it up.  I would have asked after Kyle was born.  Maybe their relationship is strained.  

Joseph is moving in a more secular direction work-wise. I think he just chooses a low profile for that reason. All of his business social media is Jesus-free these days.

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Joseph is moving in a more secular direction work-wise. I think he just chooses a low profile for that reason. All of his business social media is Jesus-free these days.

Smart.  Is Steve still listed as employee or owner or whatever he was of Joseph's company?  

I wonder how much of a cut he takes for that, if so.  

• Upvote 4

So Forgotten Jesse and the Spinsters can have coffee with all the fixings but Griselda Teri can't have Pepsi.  No wonder she is so bitter.

• Upvote 15
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, usmcmom said:

{Bolding Mine} We have always told our kids that we are there for them like this if/when the need arises. We will be a port in the storm for them. I am thankful our new home has enough room for them if they ever need to live with us for a while. My mother has two bedrooms but will not even put a bed in the second bedroom. I hate knowing she doesn’t even have room for me when I drive six hours to visit her. We have to stay in a hotel. 

My mother in law is the same way. I mean, we are a family of 5 so I get that there may not be room for us to stay with her on an extended trip but she doesn't even have a sofa large enough to sleep on when my husband has to travel to visit her (generally because he is there to help her!). She has an extra room, but not even space for an air mattress. But she has no issue planning last minute trips to our place, even inviting friends of hers or other family members. 

My husband and I plan to downsize our home at some point so adult children living with us forever is not in our plan. But we wont be making any moves until they are out of school (including college) and have a few years to settle in to adulthood. We also don't plan on buying a small studio or anything, so we will always have to ability to make room, even if it isn't the most comfortable. We did have to move in with family once, with a young child and another on the way. My husband was just out of the military and it just took us a couple of months to get settled in and I am so thankful that we didn't have to worry about where to live or how to make ends meet during that time. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Smart.  Is Steve still listed as employee or owner or whatever he was of Joseph's company?  

I wonder how much of a cut he takes for that, if so.  

Nope.. He was chief synergy officer or some such nonsense before. Go look at Swift Otter. Whole new world.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

14 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Nope.. He was chief synergy officer or some such nonsense before. Go look at Swift Otter. Whole new world.

Interesting.  The website isn't bad at all.  Some of the language is a little clunky in places but definitely isn't in Maxwellese.

I don't think it's particularly professional to have Joseph the only one with a last name on the team page.  They should all have last names, or barring that none.  I'm shocked they have so many non-Maxwell employees...they must be doing okay.  

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

Wow, they are hiring. It is odd that the other employees don't have last names. I kind of understood why they didn't when it was just Maxwells working there, but there are enough others now that it doesn't look odd. 

I'm not sure if I'm surprised or not that there aren't any female employees. I somehow doubt that the Maxwells would hire a woman, besides a family member, but we know Sarah, Anna and Mary all work for their brothers. 

I'm definitely not surprised there are no employees that are POCs. 

• Upvote 8

22 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

They are such poops!

Awww, Buffy, your nice side is showing (lol)

Actually, “poops” is used with much literal license here.  I ‘d go with “arrogant, righteous gits” but that’s because I’m a bitch.

21 hours ago, ifosterkittens said:

This is from the comments on the grocery blog post:

Hide contents

Teri Maxwell says:

January 29, 2020 at 2:29 pm 

That makes sense. At our house, Jesse likes to have extra protein because of his weight lifting workouts so he usually has a stash of chicken or beef that he has purchased and then prepared so that he can easily heat it up for his lunch.

I can see Steve or Teri saying we will buy X ounces of meat per Maxwell adult child per day, and if they exceed that they have to buy their own. Jesse may get allotted a few more ounces because he is a man after all. 

Hide contents

J.P says:

January 29, 2020 at 2:58 pm 

how do the girls make money?

Teri Maxwell says:

January 29, 2020 at 4:29 pm 

That would be a topic for another blog post.

I am surprised this comment wasn't deleted, and I can't wait to see that blog post! 

That comment will be addressed right after the promised instructions for chopping lettuce with a pizza cutter are given.

off on a tangent here—- in the various pizza places I’ve patronized, I’ve only seen one worker use a pizza cutter.  Everyone else used a large knife.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

34 minutes ago, Granwych said:

Awww, Buffy, your nice side is showing (lol)

Actually, “poops” is used with much literal license here.  I ‘d go with “arrogant, righteous gits” but that’s because I’m a bitch.

There was a lot of vitriol behind those poops!  I may or may not have been a tiny bit high when I wrote that.

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 4

13 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Wow, they are hiring. It is odd that the other employees don't have last names. I kind of understood why they didn't when it was just Maxwells working there, but there are enough others now that it doesn't look odd. 

I'm not sure if I'm surprised or not that there aren't any female employees. I somehow doubt that the Maxwells would hire a woman, besides a family member, but we know Sarah, Anna and Mary all work for their brothers. 

I'm definitely not surprised there are no employees that are POCs. 

I don't think the Maxwells are any more racist than the rest of us. They don't care how you look are as long you think just like they do. And Leavenworth is over 70% white which limits the diversity of small companies that don't pay as well as bigger companies with diversity mandates.

I doubt he offers insurance, etc., so his candidate pool is probably limited.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

22 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

He really is! This is some really upbeat music for a Maxwell! 

Spoiler

I wonder who videoed him awkwardly wandering about. 

Spoiler

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 2

Those are some tight jeans Joseph is wearing there.

So, Actionable Insights is Joseph's podcast?  I though the one with the upbeat music said he was a guest on the podcast, but maybe I misunderstood.

ETA: Thanks for posting those videos, @formergothardite   Did you find those on the Swift Otter web site?

Edited by kpmom
  • Upvote 3

I just looked at the website. Three of the employees are the Maxwell brothers which is probably why he left off their last names. But what if the other employees are also brothers? Isaac, David, & Luke bear a strong resemblance to each other. If that’s the case, he hasn’t branched out that much and it would be understandable leaving off their last names. Either way it still seems not as professional. ?‍♀️ Eta: if they are related I’m guessing they know each other from conferences. I doubt their true outside hires without family connections 

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

35 minutes ago, kpmom said:

ETA: Thanks for posting those videos, @formergothardite   Did you find those on the Swift Otter web site?

I went to the FB page and realized there is a Swift Otter Youtube channel too. I was just surprised at the very non-Maxwell music. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

When Swift Otter first launched Jesus was front and center on the website and the copywriting was pure Maxwellese. Their client portfolio was also pretty much family and a few similarly Jesus-y businesses. The company has really grown though and it’s public face is very secular, as it should be. If Joseph can hold true to how he’s been indoctrinated, Steve and Teri should be shouting it from the rooftops because it would be the best endorsement for their way of life. He comes in contact with all sorts of people that would probably give Steve another heart attack and almost every conference he attends includes a statement regarding inclusion and acceptance. “See? Our son must deal with the unwashed, unsaved masses and satanic temptation every single day and still stays true to our values! Buy our books to see how we did it!” Who knows, though? Little by little, maybe Joseph’s learning to be open to new things. And I just think he and Elissa prefer not to be blog fodder. 

• Upvote 9

Oh wow, SwiftOtter has Marlow White as a customer!  They are a pretty big fish for the Maxwellians!

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic