IGNORED

Meghan and Harry 3: Working Towards Financial Independence

laPapessaGiovanna

So on one hand Harry and Meghan did not choose to leave the royal family, on the other hand good on them for choosing to leave that toxic family?

To quote a favourite: A lot of assumptions are being made here.

We have no idea if the Windsors are toxic or Harry & Meghan are toxic or if all of them are toxic entitled upper-class twits (I’m leaning towards the latter). We have no idea what the actual reasons are why Harry and Meghan stepped down. I doubt that they fundamentally disagree with royalty and a class society, though, given they keep their (inactive) HRH status, money from the Duchy of Cornwall, and use of the titles of Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

We do know that in addition to the professional separation there appears to be a distance on a private level between Harry & Meghan and the BRF as evidenced by their absences from the main private family events, and that this distance is not due to Harry and Meghan being unwelcome as evidenced by the Queen’s personal invitation to them.

Sandringham and Balmoral are not just a couple of days, each covers several weeks during which the Queen is in residence at the respective estate, and extended family members are welcome to join. Most indeed do, especially the Queen’s children and grandchildren, whether just for a few days or a longer period of time. The Middletons and Doria have both been invited as well at least once.

It’s irrelevant what lots of other people do as this is not about the family dynamics and traditions of other people, but those specific to the British Royal Family. If a family usually spends (part of the) holidays together like the BRF does, it is notable when there are changes and former regulars are suddenly absent. A similar example would be Jill & Derick being around the Duggar house less frequently. Also, Harry and Meghan definitely don’t lack the time or funds to see both the Windsors and Meghan’s family (i.e. Doria) if they wanted to.

If Harry and Meghan had decided to forego just one or the other, it wouldn’t be particularly noteworthy. That they chose not to attend both Sandringham and Balmoral at all is certainly significant.

Regarding William and Kate “splitting the holidays”:

For the last 3 years, William and Kate were at Sandringham at least for the main event (Christmas Eve and church on Christmas morning). They also have their country home, Anmer Hall, on the Sandringham Estate and would spend time there after Christmas with the Middletons in other years. Additionally, William and Kate did join the Queen in Balmoral on several occasions throughout the summer. And most importantly, they didn't step down from their royal duties or move to Canada - if they had, any absence at family events would certainly be perceived differently as well.

I guess we’ll simply have to wait and see how much or how little Harry & Meghan will be around the Windsors in the future. My guess would be very little.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

Along the lines of "what would I do", well, idk. I would so take some years to enjoy my access to history though!  The books, castles, jewelry, paintings, tapestries, dungeons!   Castle sex! 

Harry: " Grandma invited us to Balmoral, wanna go?"

Me: " Fuck yeah I do!"  *googles books on castles of Scotland.  

On that front, I don't understand this woman.  I know Europeans are used to castle's but, we aren't and I love history I can touch.  Plus, the access to private collections to view. Omg. Yeah, definitely spending some time doing that. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

17 hours ago, Beermeet said:

So, this happened 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8018043/Queen-BANS-Prince-Harry-Meghan-Markle-using-Sussex-Royal-brand-cost-thousands.html

I mean, I have to agree with HRM here.  You can definitely bail your family but you don't get to bail and profit from the title too.  She allows that and the house of cards falls. That's not how that family institution works.  

Just musing:  They could simply add a hyphen.  Suss-Exroyal.  ;)

• Haha 28

30 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Just musing:  They could simply add a hyphen.  Suss-Exroyal.  ;)

Go copy right that immediately!!!!

• Haha 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, Beermeet said:

Along the lines of "what would I do", well, idk. I would so take some years to enjoy my access to history though!  The books, castles, jewelry, paintings, tapestries, dungeons!   Castle sex! 

Harry: " Grandma invited us to Balmoral, wanna go?"

Me: " Fuck yeah I do!"  *googles books on castles of Scotland.  

On that front, I don't understand this woman.  I know Europeans are used to castle's but, we aren't and I love history I can touch.  Plus, the access to private collections to view. Omg. Yeah, definitely spending some time doing that. 

OMG, yes. Can you imagine having full private access to any and every nook and cranny of Windsor Castle? That place is what, a thousand years old??!!   Never mind the priceless antiques and paintings in the main areas--think what must be stored in the attics! :shock: 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

4 hours ago, Beermeet said:

Probably not all it's cracked up to be.  Castles tend to be very chilly and damp.  But imagine the embarrassment if you broke an ancient fourposter bed by getting passionate on it.  To say nothing of the risk of getting splinters in sensitive regions!

And you don't need to marry a royal to do the rest.  You just have to be Lucy Worsley.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 16
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Probably not all it's cracked up to be.  Castles tend to be very chilly and damp.  But imagine the embarrassment if you broke an ancient fourposter bed by getting passionate on it.  To say nothing of the risk of getting splinters in sensitive regions!

And you don't need to marry a royal to do the rest.  You just have to be Lucy Worsley.

Idk who that is or how to be her. Lol!  I'll spare you the details of my potential sexual endeavors on ancient stuff and the risk I'm willing to take!  Hahahaha! 

Really though, the books they must have. Oh boy, I'd be in heaven with that alone. 

@Loveday  Every nook and cranny right?!  I'm super excited at the thought of it.  To think of all the people and happenings that were there before us.  Like, if I stayed in a dungeon for the night, would weird paranormal stuff happen?  Our society can seem harsh but theirs was insane. Are blood stains still visible? Did Megan not watch The Tudors on Netflix? ?  Anne Boleyn people!  Break away if you must but, not before exploring, a lot.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Beermeet said:

TY so much!  Down the rabbit hole I go! 

This is one rabbit hole where you won't need rescue ferrets! Lucy is awesome. And her job...I mean, chief curator of Historic Royal Palaces? Yes, please! :pb_lol:

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

Another long statement from the Sussexes this weekend on currently-still-Sussex-Royal. They’re more openly cranky this time, with gems such as these:

- We had hoped to be allowed to share these details with you sooner (to mitigate any confusion and subsequent misreporting), but the facts below should help provide some clarification

- While there is precedent for other titled members of the Royal Family to seek employment outside of the institution, for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, a 12-month review period has been put in place. 

- Over the last month and a half, The Duke and Duchess have remained actively involved in this process [of firing their staff], which has understandably been saddening for The Duke and Duchess and their loyal staff, given the closeness of Their Royal Highnesses and their dedicated team.

- As shared in early January on this website, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not plan to start a ‘foundation’, but rather intend to develop a new way to effect change and complement the efforts made by so many excellent foundations globally. [That means “we’re gonna be total dilettantes,” right?]

- While there is not any jurisdiction by The Monarchy or Cabinet Office over the use of the word ‘Royal’ overseas, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to use ‘Sussex Royal’ or any iteration of the word ‘Royal’ in any territory 

Discuss!

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

12 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Another long statement from the Sussexes this weekend on currently-still-Sussex-Royal. They’re more openly cranky this time, with gems such as these:

- We had hoped to be allowed to share these details with you sooner (to mitigate any confusion and subsequent misreporting), but the facts below should help provide some clarification

- While there is precedent for other titled members of the Royal Family to seek employment outside of the institution, for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, a 12-month review period has been put in place. 

- Over the last month and a half, The Duke and Duchess have remained actively involved in this process [of firing their staff], which has understandably been saddening for The Duke and Duchess and their loyal staff, given the closeness of Their Royal Highnesses and their dedicated team.

- As shared in early January on this website, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not plan to start a ‘foundation’, but rather intend to develop a new way to effect change and complement the efforts made by so many excellent foundations globally. [That means “we’re gonna be total dilettantes,” right?]

- While there is not any jurisdiction by The Monarchy or Cabinet Office over the use of the word ‘Royal’ overseas, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to use ‘Sussex Royal’ or any iteration of the word ‘Royal’ in any territory 

Discuss!

Maybe I'm just a simple American, but I don't think the lack of ability to use Royal will matter.  It's not like anyone who would hire them for anything wouldn't know exactly who H and M are.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Another long statement from the Sussexes this weekend on currently-still-Sussex-Royal.

:562479a9d021a_Titanicyawn::562479a9d021a_Titanicyawn::562479a9d021a_Titanicyawn:

Chances are excellent that I will never buy anything they peddle or contribute to any "charity" they set up so who cares. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Discuss!

I think they are trying to save face because this sounds so VERY different from what they stated in the early statements. I don’t get why they need to constantly point out that they have been involved, couldn’t share earlier (when they had no problem sharing lots of their own plans about it). They lost this battle. It’s pretty painful to watch how they try to spin this in their favour. Wouldn’t it be more graceful to just not make new and pretty empty announcements till they actually have something set up?

I do know now that there are actual laws that regulate the usage of royal in the UK. While I and I think the majority of the public wasn’t aware, the BRF must have been. Harry and Meghan will have been informed about this either by the BRF or their own lawyers (when they trademarked Sussex Royal for example). When they planned to set up something that works worldwide and support their UK patronages through it, they must have known this might become an issue. But they went ahead anyway. They are always bringing the royal part up. Just stop. They could rename their brand and just explain its for legal reasons. There is no need to constantly talk about „the precedent of other members of the royal family“. Which is massively misleading. Their situation is indeed new and singular due to his rank. 

I am not surprised their ”new charitable entity” is not in fact a charity. It would be very hard to explain how their charity can pay them millions, because people donate to causes not to fund them personally. There wording was careful from the beginning but I think people will be left disappointed.
The long timeline between their first announcement, the constant changes in wording after a decision was made, the often pretty empty and open to interpretation posts and the fact they won’t come out with something fast will make it harder. They are now mostly famous for “ditching the BRF”, there have been no great charitable engagements and people will loose interest. Being part of the BRF can give you a boost even if you don’t step out regularly. But that’s not because of you personally it because of the institution, the cliché. It’s much harder when you on your own, relying solely on your charisma and (let’s be real) looks. Honestly, who knows a famous humanitarian that isn’t a very successful business man (Gates) or profiled celebrity (Clooney). Look at Angelina Jolie. She was praised as the next Mother Teresa. But this analogy is long gone. Harry and Meghan will have to work so much harder now. She isn’t an actress anymore- which made her known to people and put her face out there. He has no idea not to be royal. The “normal life” the royals want to experience is a caricature of reality. Or at least of the reality of 90% of humankind. Being seen, doing something people can praise you for and hiding it if the money you personally earn comes from giving speeches in front people who deliberately use holes in the system to make money sounds pretty exhausting. 

@HerNameIsBuffy I think the US will be about the only market they can outlast. And even there, I cannot imagine that the royal connection is not going to be a constant focus. Maybe Americans will additionally feel a certain empathy (I cannot find the right word to express the sentiment I mean) in that she is American and that was a big issue (the biggest if you ask me) and a POC and couldn’t succeed. So I get why people take it almost personally and therefore question why another country choose to hang onto a tradition the US rejected for itself. But the rest of the world is another story. And right now, I cannot see how they can stay relevant enough. Maybe if they cater to wealthy and important people but I don’t see them being able to mobilise the masses for long.
I don’t get either, the massive adoration or hate. I see a two people, that while probably lovely people, are also highly overestimating their reach and are either have bad advisors or do a pretty poor job at the moment.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 6

4 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

They lost this battle.

I don't think they were expecting this.  

Sorry going to comment on a few quotes.  Bear with me while I try to divert myself from my anxiety.

Which is massively misleading.

Yes, but they seem to be trying to spin it as if they are victims.  Don't the other royals who work actually stay in the UK for the most part?

but I think people will be left disappointed.

I don't think they will be prepared for the level of scrutiny their new endeavor (whatever the hell it is going to be) will be under.

“ditching the BRF”, there have been no great charitable engagements and people will loose interest.

I agree, I feel like they have been out of the public eye for maybe a bit too long?  30 second attention span for celebrities? Because as you pointed out they are just famous people now, mostly famous for walking out on the BRF.  It will be interesting to see what their long-term plans are (if they even know) or what the long game is.  It will also be interesting to see what kind of reception they get when they do their final BRF duties. 

Being seen, doing something people can praise you for and hiding it if the money you personally earn comes from giving speeches in front people who deliberately use holes in the system to make money sounds pretty exhausting. 

And this is what they essentially will be doing, right?  Speeches for money?

I cannot see how they can stay relevant enough.

I don't either.  What or how are they going to be relevant for anything other than being rich people?  Wait, wait, maybe they can go on "The Masked Singer"  That would be something to watch!

are also highly overestimating their reach and are either have bad advisors or do a pretty poor job at the moment.

You summed this all up perfectly.

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

They will succeed if they do have a shred of decency floating around in those confused souls. If they can go with good things and charities, make money on well thought out appearances, I think they'd do fine and live comfortably. They need a better management team.

I don't think we can assess how a prince exits princedom until the dust settles. He's negotiating with his crazy  family. A new wife, with strong interests an opinons. He's also kind of leaving a cult (unlike any other we have. )

• Upvote 9

5 minutes ago, AliceInFundyland said:

He's also kind of leaving a cult (unlike any other we have. )

This is the best point I've seen in any discussion about them.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

https://people.com/royals/meghan-markle-jessica-mulroney-registers-sussex-global-charities-website/
Jessica Mulroney has registered “Sussex Global Charities.” Even in my ignorance I’m smh! Eta Imo this takes H&M from genuinely wanting privacy away from the BRF and simply wanting their own empire independent of the BRF. Tacky move. 

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Giraffe said:

Jessica Mulroney has registered “Sussex Global Charities.”

The Mulroneys are a family of grifting assholes and DIL Jessica is cut from the same cloth. 

If they're going to remain in Canada for any length of time, the Sussexes would do well to distance themselves from this tacky family.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

They will succeed if they do have a shred of decency floating around in those confused souls. If they can go with good things and charities, make money on well thought out appearances, I think they'd do fine and live comfortably. They need a better management team.

I don't think we can assess how a prince exits princedom until the dust settles. He's negotiating with his crazy  family. A new wife, with strong interests an opinons. He's also kind of leaving a cult (unlike any other we have. )

I've been publicly rooting for the Royal Pandas to escape the zoo but I think Their Royal Haughtinesses are behaving like a a couple of bratty entitled little Royal chipmunks at the moment.  I'm losing all patience with them.

This recent statement is passive aggressive, entitled, and positively bratty.  They need their heads thumped together and a new management team, for sure.

It looks as though they intend to set up, not a Private Foundation, but a Public Charity with "Sussex Global Charities."  While both nonprofits, the technical difference is that a Private Foundation has a single source of funding (like an individual, married couple, or family), while a Public Charity must get also get most of its funding from the public.  The rules are different for each type.  I'm rusty on the details, but I think in the US a Public Charity getting more than half its funding from a single donor tips it over into a private foundation.  

So they want to use other peoples' money to fund any charity work they do. and they seem to think they can earn a "professional" income for themselves by being motivational speakers.  Or something.  So they'll do gigs like the JP Morgan conference to support themselves and run a "charity" on the side.  Please give generously.

But if they want gigs like that to last for long they'd better come up with some new material.  Harry's "poor little rich Prince whose Mummy died and publicity gave him mental health issues" act won't fly for long.  Not everyone can identify with his entitled upbringing. 

Also they are both presenting themselves as victims instead of survivors, and that will wear thin.  And Harry's public speaking skills need work.

I've picked out some weasel words from the statement below:

The Royal Family respect and understand the wish of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to live a more independent life as a family, by removing the supposed ‘public interest’ justification for media intrusion into their lives. They remain a valued part of Her Majesty’s family. 

Translation:  "Don't ever comment on the contradictions of us flying on private jets and lecturing others about global warming in the same week again."

The preference of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex was to continue to represent and support Her Majesty The Queen albeit in a more limited capacity, while not drawing on the Sovereign Grant. 

Hard cheese and stop whining.

While there is precedent for other titled members of the Royal Family to seek employment outside of the institution, for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, a 12-month review period has been put in place. 

There is.  Beatrice and Eugenie have jobs.  Even Prince Michael has "business interests."  But they have never been Senior Royals, nor have they thrown so public a tantrum, nor (I suspect) have they come up with such wild and unbecoming ways of earning money.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will retain their “HRH” prefix, thereby formally remaining known as His Royal Highness The Duke of Sussex and Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Sussex. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will no longer actively use their HRH titles as they will no longer be working members of the family as of Spring 2020.

Harry and Meghan: "But we are going to hang onto using those HRHs until the last second of March.  So there!"

It is agreed that The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will continue to require effective security to protect them and their son.  This is based on The Duke’s public profile by virtue of being born into The Royal Family, his military service, the Duchess’ own independent profile, and the shared threat and risk level documented specifically over the last few years. No further details can be shared as this is classified information for safety reasons.

It has been agreed that since neither the Canadian nor the Great British public want to cover the required security, Daddy will continue to fund it from the Duchy of Cornwall and his other savings.  And I agree that they do need security, but they *could* cover the expense themselves with that 20 million and counting.

Harry and Meghan: "Daddy had better pay up or we'll throw more tantrums.  "

... it was decided in January that their Institutional Office would have to be closed, given the primary funding mechanism for this official office at Buckingham Palace is from HRH The Prince of Wales. The Duke and Duchess shared this news with their team personally in January once they knew of the decision, and have worked closely with their staff to ensure a smooth transition for each of them. 

Harry and Meghan:  "Daddy made us fire our staff.  Poor us!  Thank goodness we still have Jessica Mulrooney to help us get into trouble."

ADDITIONAL DETAILS: 

As shared in early January on this website, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not plan to start a ‘foundation’, but rather intend to develop a new way to effect change and complement the efforts made by so many excellent foundations globally.

How, we still do not know.

The creation of this non-profit entity will be in addition to their cause driven work that they remain deeply committed to.

In other words, the non-profit is not going to interfere with our motivational speaking gigs for cash.  And holy dangling participle.

While The Duke and Duchess are focused on plans to establish a new non-profit organisation, given the specific UK government rules surrounding use of the word ‘Royal’, it has been therefore agreed that their non-profit organisation will not utilise the name ‘Sussex Royal’ or any other iteration of ‘Royal.’

Harry and Meghan:  "Boo hoo!  And so unfair because ...

While there is not any jurisdiction by The Monarchy or Cabinet Office over the use of the word ‘Royal’ overseas, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to use ‘Sussex Royal’ or any iteration of the word ‘Royal’ in any territory (either within the UK or otherwise) when the transition occurs Spring 2020.

They twisted our arms over that.  And we lost.  Again."

Whoever is advising them should be fired.  If they are writing this garbage themselves they need another Come to Jesus chat with Granny.

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 14
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 6

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

Their Royal Haughtinesses are behaving like a a couple of bratty entitled little Royal chipmunks

There is so much that I like about your post but this is the line that made me laugh out loud.

Fwiw I think they do need better advisors too. I don't think they are coming off particularly well in any of these posts.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

The Mulroneys are a family of grifting assholes and DIL Jessica is cut from the same cloth. 

If they're going to remain in Canada for any length of time, the Sussexes would do well to distance themselves from this tacky family.

I’m intrigued-but googling the Jessica hasn’t turned up that much. Can anyone suggest where to look?

• Upvote 2

@Palimpsest

I don't disagree. I'm impressed and pleased (as much as I care, which is casual observational watching) that the Queen appears to be jettisoning some of their initial "schemes"

It still seems hard to predict, based on the rather unprecedented nature of the thing. I wouldn't say that I'm optimistic.

She is clever. If she wants to do a business venture there's got to be a name that won't butt heads with royal grotesqueness. People here are dumb and will buy anything.

They're relying on what they have and know because they think they can and it's easiest. Again I say, they'll still come out with a tidy nest egg. Depending on on the final dos and don'ts from the Queen. Hook up with the right people and they'll be set.

They are bratty. Still a cult.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic