IGNORED

Meghan and Harry 3: Working Towards Financial Independence

laPapessaGiovanna

4 minutes ago, viii said:

Yeah, that sort of thinking extends beyond youtube to the medial in general. Hell, there's even some people commenting here who have picked up this stance, and it's beyond ridiculous. 

I agree.  It's very disconcerting to read here, of all places, people who seem to feel strongly they should put the family over leading their own lives.  It would be like if Sarah Maxwell met a nice man and wanted to get married against her parents wishes people here thinking she should stay home and not upset Steve with her own opinions or agency.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I agree.  It's very disconcerting to read here, of all places, people who seem to feel strongly they should put the family over leading their own lives.  It would be like if Sarah Maxwell met a nice man and wanted to get married against her parents wishes people here thinking she should stay home and not upset Steve with her own opinions or agency.

Isn't that the more European-way of thinking because they are immersed in the Royal monarchy?

I'm American over here so while part of me is like BUT DIANA'S SPARE NEEDS TO BE PART OF THE FABULOUS FOUR & I WANT TO SEE FABULOUS PICTURES OF THEM PETTING SMALL CHILDREN BEFORE THEY GET IN THEIR PRIVATE JETS WEARING DESIGNER CLOTHES & OMGASADFGE2FLKSDJFO;IER THE CUTEST FUCKING CHILDREN MORE CHILDREN MORE MORE MORE ( ? )

....the other part of me is like, God he's got to be exhausted from only knowing life under public scrutiny, of course (!) he want's to GTFO. And if you think he's a broken man over what happened to his mother**, what if, god forbid, the SAME thing happens to his wife. 

But also, where can i purchase the latest RoyalSussex paraphernalia :pb_lol:

** He nor William should have be forced as children to walk behind his mother's caskets in a public road in front of the public/WORLD. And I feel so strongly about this. 

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I saw one vid from British TV where there was a black woman on the panel trying to explain how racism shouldn't be softened with euphemistic terms and the other woman, expert on the royal family, kept calling the racist things in the press "inappropriate."  But she was visibly cringing at the other woman explaining how racism needs to be addressed in order to be stopped.  

Who are these “royal experts” anyways? How does one become a royal expert? Is there a degree or course or do you just have to be a gossipy biddy or buddy?

Edited by Pleiades_06
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, kachuu said:

Isn't that the more European-way of thinking because they are immersed in the Royal monarchy?

I'm American over here so while part of me is like BUT DIANA'S SPARE NEEDS TO BE PART OF THE FABULOUS FOUR & I WANT TO SEE FABULOUS PICTURES OF THEM PETTING SMALL CHILDREN BEFORE THEY GET IN THEIR PRIVATE JETS WEARING DESIGNER CLOTHES & OMGASADFGE2FLKSDJFO;IER THE CUTEST FUCKING CHILDREN MORE CHILDREN MORE MORE MORE ( ? )

....the other part of me is like, God he's got to be exhausted from only knowing life under public scrutiny, of course (!) he want's to GTFO. And if you think he's a broken man over what happened to his mother**, what if, god forbid, the SAME thing happens to his wife. 

But also, where can i purchase the latest RoyalSussex paraphernalia :pb_lol:

** He nor William should have be forced as children to walk behind his mother's caskets in a public road in front of the public/WORLD. And I feel so strongly about this. 

I will admit I find the entire concept of a monarchy unconscionable.  I don't understand rewarding people with titles and such due to an accident of birth, and I don't understand a system that officially categorized children (even adult children) as "spares."

I love my brother, but if I knew my living would depend on his largess when our father died it would have disgusted me.  

I understand that you enjoy the photo ops and kids, but it's similar to the people who fangirl over the Duggars and Bates and just love more babies...without concern to the oppression those kids are being born into.  Unlike those fan girls you do see the downside of their life and understand why he and Meghan would want out.  

Obviously the royal family has wealth and opportunities the likes of which are unthinkable to most of us.  I don't think we have any multimillionaires on this thread who would need a long term plan to achieve financial independence.  

ITA about the casket walk...it was abhorrent and never should have happened.   Diana's sons have been sacrificed at the altar of public scrutiny and archaic traditions their entire lives.  I hope they both find a way to live their lives authentically and find the  peace everyone deserves for themselves and their children.

1 hour ago, Pleiades_06 said:

Who are these “royal experts” anyways? How does one become a royal expert? Is there a degree or course or do you just have to be a gossipy biddy or buddy?

I think it's gossipy biddy with a platform to call oneself a journalist.  Like Gladys Kravitz, but with an upscale accent.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
fixed wrong word
  • Upvote 9

@kachuu the disgust reaction is not aimed at you! What a douche: 

During the interview, he was unapologetic for the tell-all, saying: "I'm going to defend myself and I'm going to be paid for it. I don't care.

"At this point, they owe me. The royals owe me. Harry owes me, Meghan owes me. What I've been through, I should be rewarded for."

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

Unbelievable levels of entitlement going on there with dear old Daddy.   Where the hell does he get the idea everyone owes him?  He's the one who has been going out there publicly denigrating his daughter and getting money for it.   

Regardless of the issues between them, and mistakes/wrongs  made by either party, doing what he is doing is just flat out wrong.  Still I suspect we are getting a good idea of Daddy's true character and it existed long before his daughter met and married Prince Harry.   

There's no high road here but he seems to be convinced he's on it.  

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

23 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

If this was already posted and I missed it, my apologies. Dad is talking to the press again: "Estranged dad Thomas Markle calls Meghan and Harry ‘lost souls’ who are ‘cheapening’ the royal family to make money"

This statement: “The last time they might see me is being lowered into the ground,” is curious. Wouldn't the last time most of us see a family member be when they are buried? Such a weird interview.

Presumably he meant to say “next time.” Seems like he’s falling apart.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, viii said:

Oh, but Meghan is the bitch for cutting him out of her life, right?!?!?!? 

This seems to be a pattern with her. Not just blowing up her relationship with her own family now.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, omilona said:

This seems to be a pattern with her. Not just blowing up her relationship with her own family now.

I mean....you can clearly see there is a good reason. It's only a "pattern" because that entire side of her family only wants her for her money. 

Heck, I am a poor student but I still even have family members who only ever call me to ask for money....I never contact them. I cut off my sister, I don't talk to those family. I guess it's a "pattern" for me too. 

• Upvote 15
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, meep said:

I mean....you can clearly see there is a good reason. It's only a "pattern" because that entire side of her family only wants her for her money. 

Heck, I am a poor student but I still even have family members who only ever call me to ask for money....I never contact them. I cut off my sister, I don't talk to those family. I guess it's a "pattern" for me too. 

I call that creating healthy boundaries.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 3

To a certain extent I agree - draw healthy boundaries, cut toxic family members out of your life, take care of yourself. It can absolutely happen to become estranged from someone you once were close to due to a falling out, or just because you grew distant over time. You don't have to stick with people no matter what and how they treat you. There are family members with whom I no longer have contact. There are friends with whom I cut ties. I dislike much of my husband's paternal family, and we see them a lot less than the family on my husband's maternal side.

However, if you are getting married and there is only ONE relative (your mother) in attendance, then something is seriously off. Let's assume all the Markles are terrible, money-grabbing, and slightly unhinged. Even then I do find it hard to imagine that all of Doria's family are unworthy wedding guests as well. Harry and Meghan had literally hundreds of guests, some of them apparently only recent acquaintances. Really no Ragland grandparent, uncle/aunt, or cousin was at least reasonably liked and expected to be acceptably well-behaved to make the cut?

Additionally, Meghan has cut off many old friends, from her childhood, youth or earlier acting years. It seems that she even has a certain reputation in that regard. Good, let's assume all these relationships ended because we grow up, they were on different paths in their lives, there was some jealousy, etc.pp. - these things absolutely do happen, especially if your life takes a dramatic turn. It's in addition to her being estranged from virtually all her family that it starts to look a little odd.

Then, when she got engaged to Harry, he spouted the line of how the Windsors were "the family she never had", so obviously they were not immediately hostile to her. Charles definitely has been very welcoming to her, and  supportive of their relationship. However, now Meghan appears to be estranged from her entire family in law as well.

So there undeniably is a pattern in her life.

At some point, when it's always everyone else who appears to be the problem, chances are that it's you.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

According to Wiki, Doria Ragland’s parents are both dead, so no grandparents on that side. Doria apparently has two older half-siblings from her mother’s first marriage and one younger half-sibling from her father’s second marriage. So I’m guessing there should be Ragland aunts and uncles and cousins somewhere.

4 hours ago, SweetJuly said:

Charles definitely has been very welcoming to her, and  supportive of their relationship. However, now Meghan appears to be estranged from her entire family in law as well.

If Harry's family dumps her because they choose to not be part of the royal circus, then that isn't Meghan's fault. It actually reflects more on the royal family than her. This idea to put all the blame on her if there are problems with Harry's family because of a choice both she AND Harry made falls back into sexism. Why are we blaming her for this? 

ETA: When it comes to all these so called "friends" crawling out of the woodwork to talk about how Meghan cut them off, I give that the side eye. In these cases people will say and do anything for their moment of fame and getting to act like an insider. 

Edited by formergothardite
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

15 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

If Harry's family dumps her because they choose to not be part of the royal circus, then that isn't Meghan's fault. It actually reflects more on the royal family than her. This idea to put all the blame on her if there are problems with Harry's family because of a choice both she AND Harry made falls back into sexism. Why are we blaming her for this? 

Where do you get the idea from that the Royal family are dumping her? They get to keep the HRH (though they won't use it), their titles, and Charles apparently is trying his best to fund them in a way that upsets taxpayers the least (apparently using his "private" investments).

Harry and Meghan have decided not to spend any time at Balmoral or Christmas at Sandringham, places and family events to which they were invited. Harry and Meghan have decided to quit the family business. Harry and Meghan have decided to move across the Atlantic. Harry and Meghan have decided to publicly humiliate the Queen with that statement that was apparently published after she expressly asked them/Harry to wait.

The statement itself read more like "the Sussexes are dumping the Royal family". So if there is anger and upset over their decision to quit, it's more about how it was handled, rather than the decision itself.

So much for that.

Also, it's a bit cheap to use "ah, sexism!" as an argument to deflect any criticism of a woman. I didn't anywhere say that she manipulated or pushed or even influenced Harry into doing something he didn't want to do.

If Meghan were close to her own family or didn't have a reputation of basically discarding people in general or this falling out with her in-laws was the only time something similar had happened in Meghan's life, all the "blame" would very clearly be directed towards the Royal family. None of us know them personally, but we all have an idea how emotionally fucked up they probably are.

The point is, the break with the Windsors is just one example of the many broken relationships in her life, and it simply adds up if you put it all together.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, SweetJuly said:

Harry and Meghan have decided not to spend any time at Balmoral or Christmas at Sandringham, places and family events to which they were invited. Harry and Meghan have decided to quit the family business. Harry and Meghan have decided to move across the Atlantic. Harry and Meghan have decided to publicly humiliate the Queen with that statement that was apparently published after she expressly asked them/Harry to wait.

But why is quitting the family business, having their own plans for holidays cutting and showing up for all the family events off the family? That isn't a sign of Meghan being estranged from her inlaws. It isn't even a sign that they don't like their family. And I'm not sure that message was public humiliation. It seems like they had talked with her about this over months. Maybe it isn't what she wanted, but it doesn't seem like they set out to cruelly humiliate her. 

24 minutes ago, SweetJuly said:

I didn't anywhere say that she manipulated or pushed or even influenced Harry into doing something he didn't want to do.

But you did act like she was the one estranged from Harry's family when Harry was the one who has been open about wanting to quit the royal business. 

25 minutes ago, SweetJuly said:

If Meghan were close to her own family

She seems very close to her mother. Why the hell should she be close to those fame hungry folks who are the rest of her family? It is not a sign of some character flaw that she doesn't have a close family relationship, especially when so many of her relatives have shown they just want something from her. 

27 minutes ago, SweetJuly said:

this falling out with her in-laws

Where are you getting she has a falling out with her inlaws? People can be on good terms and not be around their relatives non-stop.

28 minutes ago, SweetJuly said:

reputation of basically discarding people in general

It seems like a lot of this "reputation" comes from so called friends who crawled out of the shadows to get attention(and probably money) when she got fame. Interestingly, there are also stories of Harry dumping friends, yet he doesn't get the "look how he discards people" like Meghan does. 

It just seems very sexist that so much blame is put on her. That people act like she is the one who is the problem. That she is the one who cuts off the family when Harry is just as much into this as her. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 3

ETA: When it comes to all these so called "friends" crawling out of the woodwork to talk about how Meghan cut them off, I give that the side eye. In these cases people will say and do anything for their moment of fame and getting to act like an insider. 

Point. Where ARE all these people she’s cut off? And I don’t mean “sources” and “unarmed former friends.” She’s apparently still close to people she worked with ten or fifteen years ago.
And her dad was invited to the wedding but had emergency heart surgery two days before and was unable to attend. He was going to walk her down the aisle, even after he cashed in on every aspect of their relationship.
She didn’t invite the one half sibling she never lived with, who IMMEDIATELY started taking trash about Meghan to anyone who’d hand her some cash as soon as Harry’s relationship with Meghan became public, and who spent the entire relationship and engagement complaining that Meghan was avoiding her. JFC, anybody would, the woman has a screw loose and a serious grudge.
This family is just one big tangled dysfunctional mess. The biggest thing most of them seem to have in common is the fact that they’ve tried to turn their connection with her into money.
Except for her half-brother’s kids, who are so estranged from their dad that they use their mom’s last name. It’s divorces and estrangements and distant relationships all the way out. And pretty much EVERYBODY blabbing to tabloids.
Why would you invite someone to your wedding when you know the next thing they’ll do is trash you in the press?
  • Upvote 20
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, SweetJuly said:

William and Kate have spent several holidays with Kate's side of the family, rather than William's - do you consider them 'quitting the family business' as well? When you get married, you have to split your holiday time with both sets of family. Harry and Meghan spent Christmas 2017 and Christmas 2018 with the Royal Family, so why is anyone surprised that they chose to spend Christmas 2019 with her mother? 

They didn't humiliate the Queen. This has been in the works for months - longer than you and I realized it. She was fully aware of their decision. They've stated that they released it because it was going to be published anyway, and can we really fault them for wanting to control their own narrative in a situation that is so unique? 

• Upvote 12

43 minutes ago, bea said:

Point. Where ARE all these people she’s cut off? And I don’t mean “sources” and “unarmed former friends.” She’s apparently still close to people she worked with ten or fifteen years ago.

These "sources" who claim she has cut them off, are so vague I highly question they exist.  In any case, anyone who comes out of the woodwork to make these sort of claims once someone is famous, should be taken with truckloads of salt.  

50 minutes ago, bea said:

Why would you invite someone to your wedding when you know the next thing they’ll do is trash you in the press?

QFT.  And furthermore, the Royal Family is known to place a high value on discretion.   They are not going to invite blabbermouths who are making a buck talking to the press, no matter who they are.  If Daddy and Half Sister wanted an invite the way to ensure it was to shut their mouths from the very start.   

4 hours ago, Blahblah said:

According to Wiki, Doria Ragland’s parents are both dead, so no grandparents on that side. Doria apparently has two older half-siblings from her mother’s first marriage and one younger half-sibling from her father’s second marriage. So I’m guessing there should be Ragland aunts and uncles and cousins somewhere.

I read somewhere there were other relatives invited but they were not up front with Doria but seated back in the nave.  It might have been the aunts/uncles/cousins.  So I am not sure about this claim that Doria was the only attending family member, she just may have been the only one known to the media.

• Upvote 13

7 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

These "sources" who claim she has cut them off, are so vague I highly question they exist.  In any case, anyone who comes out of the woodwork to make these sort of claims once someone is famous, should be taken with truckloads of salt.  

Everyone, no matter how many life long friends they have, would have people coming out of the woodwork like this if they were suddenly famous.

• Upvote 8

Everyone, no matter how many life long friends they have, would have people coming out of the woodwork like this if they were suddenly famous.

I don’t even want to THINK about the people that would come out of the woodwork to trash me. And I’ve never worked in showbiz - it looks like that’s an industry that makes backbiting and grudges into a religion.
  • Upvote 14

8 minutes ago, bea said:

I don’t even want to THINK about the people that would come out of the woodwork to trash me. And I’ve never worked in showbiz - it looks like that’s an industry that makes backbiting and grudges into a religion.

I'm the queen of situational friendships...endless numbers of people would be wanting cash to dish about my Irish exit from their lives.  

• Upvote 9

46 minutes ago, bea said:

I can think of a few in my case right off the bat.  And my life is nothing like showbiz.  

Edited by nokidsmom
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

I read somewhere there were other relatives invited but they were not up front with Doria but seated back in the nave.  It might have been the aunts/uncles/cousins.  So I am not sure about this claim that Doria was the only attending family member, she just may have been the only one known to the media.

Exactly; just because the media isn't fully aware of who everyone was, doesn't mean they weren't there. I highly doubt that Doria was the SOLE member of Meghan's family that attended the wedding. Even if she was, though... I don't find it that odd. Some people come from very small families. 

• Upvote 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic