IGNORED

Meghan and Harry 3: Working Towards Financial Independence

laPapessaGiovanna

They remind me of teenagers who want to move out but still expect their parents to pay their cell phone and car insurance bill.

I agree the advisors are bad but if Harry and Meghan are stamping their feet and demanding things the advisors can only do so much.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 16

I keep thinking, clearly they (Meghan & Harry) didn't look at what happened when "Uncle David" abdicated the throne and put into exile.  

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

21 hours ago, Giraffe said:

https://people.com/royals/meghan-markle-jessica-mulroney-registers-sussex-global-charities-website/
Jessica Mulroney has registered “Sussex Global Charities.” Even in my ignorance I’m smh! Eta Imo this takes H&M from genuinely wanting privacy away from the BRF and simply wanting their own empire independent of the BRF. Tacky move. 

Apparently Jessica has denied on her twitter that her organization created this for them. Interesting. 

• Thank You 3

20 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

It has been agreed that since neither the Canadian nor the Great British public want to cover the required security, Daddy will continue to fund it from the Duchy of Cornwall and his other savings.  And I agree that they do need security, but they *could* cover the expense themselves with that 20 million and counting.

Harry and Meghan: "Daddy had better pay up or we'll throw more tantrums.  "

Why, it's almost like maybe they should have spoken to their family and ironed out some of these issues BEFORE announcing their decision to stop being public royals. 

If you want to burn everything down and walk out in a blaze of "fuck the power" glory, fine. But you don't get to come back the next day picking through the ashes to see if one of Daddy's credit cards survived the fire. You have to take the consequences of your rebellion, even if it hits your pocketbook. 

Harry has basically become the BRF's remittance man. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1

I leave this link here to an analysis of their latest update. While I don‘t agree with some of the bloggers opinions (in the old more critical posts and the more positive/neutral posts after the relaunch) she brings some interest points that I hadn’t realised. 
http://meghanmarklereview.com/2020/02/opinion-harry-meghans-transition-update-is-grating/ *

*I shared a link to the blog earlier, together with one to the sister website about Kate, as well as my take on the relaunch, the comments and the at one point VERY critical opinions of the blogger. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

2 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Why, it's almost like maybe they should have spoken to their family and ironed out some of these issues BEFORE announcing their decision to stop being public royals. 

I do genuinely believe them when they say that was the original plan. They had already been talking about this with Queen and Charles for weeks, but it was about to be leaked via the media. I won't begrudge them wanting to release it themselves, rather than have the very thing they hate be the one to do it. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, viii said:

I do genuinely believe them when they say that was the original plan. They had already been talking about this with Queen and Charles for weeks, but it was about to be leaked via the media. I won't begrudge them wanting to release it themselves, rather than have the very thing they hate be the one to do it. 

While I do believe their wishes were talked about with the family, and I do believe a media outlet was about to report on it, I don’t see the need to jump the gun like they did. Why come out with lengthy comments about how you plan to continue if there actually was nothing agreed on. They could have released  short coordinated statements, together with PC, CH and KP, saying they are stepping down, will maintain loving but private relationships, everyone supporting the decision, and that details are still to be worked out. I don’t think this was a case of seconds, where there was no time to pick up the phone and call your father or brother (don’t know if you can just call the Queen on a mobile??). Even if it was only them with such a statement it would have been easier to go from there.

I am also surprised that there was no plan in place for the situation of a leak. The BRF deals with so many of them, you would think they have an emergency plan. 
They could also have let the info go out and ignore it. BP has a great way of avoiding answers to uncomfortable questions. They could have finalised their negotiations and then come out with clear and again coordinated statements. They could squeezed in some engagements with the Queen, Charles and the Cambridge’s to show that everything is ok with everyone again- even if that’s not completely true. You know Church with the Queen, a picture of the four cousins, joining Charles and Camilla on a country walk- private families moments that they absolutely enjoy being working royals or not.

Now, you have a huge mess, with them backtracking on statements several times, releasing misleading information, sounding very unprofessional and butt hurt and passive aggressive and tons of drama regarding their family relationships. 
I think they saw a chance to put pressure on the BRF to get an upper hand in the negotiations and it backfired. If everything would have been organised and agreed on in private they probably would have gotten almost all they wanted. The Queen is known for letting her relatives run wild and only very seldom reigns them in.  Without the public pressure and their entitled attitude she probably would have been very happy to comply.

Edited by just_ordinary
Damn, maybe I should a apply as their PR advisor
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 12

@just_ordinary Perfectly put.

Harry and Meghan could have most likely had everything they wanted - and probably more - if they had found a discreet private agreement. They wouldn't even have needed to put on a public show of unity if they didn't feel like it - just negotiate in private, ignore whatever the press and sources claim to know, and then release the bombshell in coordination, presenting the full agreed new situation as fait accompli.

The way they have handled their "resignation" so far certainly doesn't do much to quell the rumours that they are short-tempered impulsive people who don't take advice and are difficult to work with.

• I Agree 11

I wonder how the situation would have been different if A) Trump were not president and B ) Obama was still president.  Meghan clearly dislikes Trump and has successfully avoided meeting him. I wonder if she was appalled by her in-laws rolling out the literal and figurative red carpet for him and knowing that she would be expected to do the same, even if it damaged her global brand. On the other hand, the Obamas are everything she wants in life - ethical, glamorous, no pesky boss, proudly African-American, and very rich - and I’ll bet some opportunities to hang out with them would have kept her around the palace for a while longer.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I wonder how the situation would have been different if A) Trump were not president and B ) Obama was still president.  Meghan clearly dislikes Trump and has successfully avoided meeting him. I wonder if she was appalled by her in-laws rolling out the literal and figurative red carpet for him and knowing that she would be expected to do the same, even if it damaged her global brand. On the other hand, the Obamas are everything she wants in life - ethical, glamorous, no pesky boss, proudly African-American, and very rich - and I’ll bet some opportunities to hang out with them would have kept her around the palace for a while longer.

I don't think it matters who the American president is, they are world dignitaries. You don't have to like them or agree with whoever got elected into office. Fact is, their names will go down in history. Royals have "kept face" for so many leaders of the world that they met. It's a dog & pony show.

I think the Obamas actually issued a statement that they have not spoken to H&M. But that could have been a while ago.

• Upvote 7

I think Meghan cares less about Trump than we imagine she does care. I don't think Trump visiting had anything to do with their decision. 

I don't want to quote you in length, @just_ordinary, but I loved your response. A lot there I hadn't really considered. 

• I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

It will be interesting if they actually do get a base in the US while he is still president. Rumours are they are already looking. Especially because I feel he might get another four years. 
But then, I am not sure if she every really stated she won’t live in Trump USA ever. Maybe it’s just a rumour that is taken for a fact. People also say she actively avoided to meet him when he visited the UK. I highly doubt it but who knows. 

• Upvote 1

I am so happy to read over here, where opinions are similar to mine.  I was past surprised when Meaghan immediately started bucking traditional "rules" such as crossing her legs, off-shoulder dresses at solemn occasions, pantyhose, etc.  Just little things to us, but apparently so carved in stone for the BRF.  And I honestly think she holds a massive grudge against William for advising Harry to slow down, and is jealous of Kate's acceptance; she doesn't see that Kate was the object of the press when she first came along.  She thought she would immediately be the darling of the decade.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

As much as I've agreed that Harry & Meghan should be able to live off on their own, it does seem that they are stomping their feet at this point for not being able to have their cake & eat it too.

Also, does it really matter if they use the word "royal" in whatever future endeavors they do? It's not like there is ANOTHER famous Harry & Meghan. It just doesn't matter what they do at this point, people will know who they are & there will always be people chomping at the bit to buy their latest commercialized lip gloss or t-shirts. What irks me is this idea they are going to run charity adventures without thinking they don't open up their private lives a bit to the public. You can't just go around telling people donate your money to the crazy amount of charities out there--- people will eventually tune you out. And not because there aren't worthy causes out there. It is the fact that everything is a cause.

Who else changes the channel when they hear that one Sarah Mclachlan song? In the arrrrrmmmssss offff ann angeeeellllll 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

That’s fair and appropriate. If they aren’t working Royals they aren’t people who need special protective measures payed for by the government And They have money to pay for their own security if they so desire. 

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

That’s fair and appropriate. If they aren’t working Royals they aren’t people who need special protective measures payed for by the government And They have money to pay for their own security if they so desire. 

Exactly. The public does not fund security for Eugenie and Beatrice. Andrew was famously upset when it was taken away when they became adults (fair enough, the characterization of that as jealousy of Charles or entitlement seemed absurd to me as it seemed to be more out of concern for his children). H & M were happy to compare their situation to the York daughters when it came to paid work but conveniently overlook that as family members with day jobs they don't get government paid security.  

• Upvote 7

Actually B&E need need protection more  because they do unofficial work in behalf of the  Crown and as Contentious as Andrews affairs are there are bound to be disturbed people who would like to Punish the girls for the sins of the father or “get back” at Andrew by hurting them. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

I went back and forth on this. On one hand, Harry didn't chose to be born famous, nor did Archie. At the same time, being born into a famous family that's not royal does not entitle a person to government-funded security, particularly when it's a country they chose to immigrate/repatriate/whatever the proper term is...moved to. Especially when the cost of that security is estimated to be between $10 and 30 million.

• Upvote 4

First off , this situation reminded me of this song . 

Secondly , I think that the rightful royal family currently resides in Australia .   

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

The Sussexes' security should not be funded by any taxpayer in any country. As it would not look good either if Charles' Duchy of Cornwall income were used for it, given that it is an income directly tied to his being Prince of Wales, I imagine the solution will be that Charles will cover their security costs for the foreseeable future from his "private investments", i.e. money derived from money derived from taxpayer funds. Still not great, but seems like the best way forward.

Eventually Harry and Meghan should pay for their security themselves. There is no reason why they should not be able to do what any other wealthy private people do as well.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

Apparently people are thinking that the burden of paying for security is going to now be back in the laps of the U.K.? I realize this is the Daily Mail, but the point holds. People are pretty upset on social media about it. It seems the main issue is that their status as Internationally Protected Persons will expire at the end of March. According to this article (which, again, Daily Mail...) Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson paying for a team of former Met officers to protect Eugenie and Beatrice and Princess Diana also paid for her own security costs,

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8055521/Anger-mounts-Prince-Harry-Megan-Markles-security-bill.html

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

If Harry and Meghan wish to be non-working Royals so they can be celebrities making all the money they can then they should foot the bill for their security.  They want out but want to use the "Royal" to make money and get their security paid for by taxpayers.  Um, no.  I'm starting to think Harry has lost his damn mind.  He knows how all this works. He knows his family and their expectations.  He knows granny doesn't issue statements like him and Meghan did nor would she approve.  The attention Megxit is getting is pissing her off.  As is the hasty move and that website.  I think Meghan thought she had it all figured out. But, Harry should have seen this frosty reaction coming a mile away. Meghan could go back to acting for money. She dropped her entire life to marry her prince. Then, she bailed that gig too.  Wanting Royal perks without working.  Hmmmm.....these two are something else.  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

There’s an interesting article in the New York Times comparing the SussexRoyal and Kensington Palace Instagram accounts. Basically, ever since the Sussexes almost caught up with the user number of the earlier account (which originally was for William, Kate, and Harry, and then added Meghan briefly), the KP account has added just enough new users to stay larger, without the new users correlating to the KP account’s posts. It looks fishy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/style/meghan-markle-instagram.html?te=1&nl=morning-briefing&emc=edit_NN_p_20200228&section=whatElse&campaign_id=9&instance_id=16347&segment_id=21707&user_id=df0ac689ce9dfd88f81d92b69113f68a&regi_id=69509990ion=whatElse

• Coconut Flan locked this topic