IGNORED

Meghan and Harry 3: Working Towards Financial Independence

laPapessaGiovanna

I don’t think it’s wrong to say Meghan was not able or willing to take on the clothing dictates for senior working Royal ladies. They don’t ever dress like Trendy Boho Starlets or use expensive top designers for the most part. Hats, hose and longer skirts on a regular basis aren’t very Young American woman 

• Upvote 2

Also factor in Meghan was used to Hollywood where designers 'loan' clothes for big events.  And royals have to actually buy the clothes. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, clueliss said:

Also factor in Meghan was used to Hollywood where designers 'loan' clothes for big events.  And royals have to actually buy the clothes. 

I don’t think the clothes were that big of a problem. She managed to spend enough on it (and no- Kate didn’t spent as much even if you factor price differences and inflation in) anf it’s not as if she had to pay for it out of her own purse. Meghan’s clothing choices are a pretty overrated topic in my opinion. All those “breaking protocol” or disrespecting the Queen” with her clothes headlines were as ridiculous as the hundred times Kate “broke protocol” or got “reprimanded by the Queen”. But she is also not a big style icon either. More a basic modern business and she definitely hasn’t invented it or wears it in an outstanding way. I didn’t like many of her outfits but that has more to do with personal taste. All royal ladies get relentless criticised for their fashion choices (Kate was just lucky that there was a fresher victim the last years). CP Victoria is very hit and miss. CP Mary is extremely boring (and got grilled for her spending habits a lot). CP Mette-Marit looks often very frumpy. Queen Letizia has tons of extremely bad choices (leather coulottes wtf). Kate loves theme dressing, often misses the mark regarding evening robes, gets obsessed with something and wears the same style to death (especially without repeating but just stuff that looks mostly the same) and is pretty bad at making trends work for her, buttons up everything as high possible. Meghan had some fantastic choices, some questionable (she could have maintained them and over time made it her “American” sticking out USP) and some horrible ones. 
She should have embraced British designers more though. Kate’s advantage here is that she wore a lot of affordable (aka under £100) and lots of British pieces in the beginning and still does sometimes. That drew people in. I appreciate that Meghan came from a different point in life. But as soon as you spend public money people will grill you over it. I thought making Givenchey her go to designer for big events (such as Kate and McQueen) would have been fine. But it seems that relationship is pretty much done. But people would have loved to see her in more McCartney or VicBeckham. Both fit her style well.

I think people would have gotten used to her sticking out between all the colourful coat dresses and at one point applauded her for it. 
As I said, clothing was the least problematic topic about Meghan. I would even say there was not much about her individually that people should have taken offence with. The big problems stem from Harry’s weird ideas about privacy (long forseen by the royal watcher community) and their extremely bad PR choices (whoever they paid/pay after stepping back they need to ask for their money back).

• Upvote 3

On 11/26/2020 at 3:59 PM, ADoyle90815 said:

For me, what really got to me was that one card with "Mummy" written on it on that one bouquet of white roses. 

100% I still tear up when they show that image between cutting back and forth between walking behind their mom during any documentary/film.

On 11/29/2020 at 11:30 AM, viii said:

Why do you capitalize random words in your sentences? I almost find that more confusing that your hate hard-on for Meghan. 

I’m going to guess you are SUUUUUPER popular on royaldish. 

So what is your exact  problem with royal dish? I'm quite sure you don't have the post count to actually read the MM section, so perhaps you could elucidate for me the nature of your objection.. Look...correct capitalization, spelling and grammar. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic