IGNORED

Sierra 3: Paddle Faster I Hear Banjos

Coconut Flan

3 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Trader Joe's has a wonderful tee tree oil shampoo and conditioner.  Very tingly, leaves hair silky, and not expensive.  

We just recently got a trader Joe's in our area. I need to get there soon. Tea tree oil shampoos leave hair feeling amazing.  I used it too and loved it.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Iburneddinner said:

We just recently got a trader Joe's in our area. I need to get there soon. Tea tree oil shampoos leave hair feeling amazing.  I used it too and loved it.

They also have a great face soap. Their products are all cruelty free too. 

ALSO THE SCALLION PANCAKES!!

• Love 2

27 minutes ago, Nikedagain? said:

And the snacks. So many snacks! Right over the moderately healthy frozen foods!

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Nikedagain? said:

My daughters taking AP Environmental Science....she's learned alot of awful things about the food industry, cruelty to animals and harm to the environment.  We as a family are slowly making changes to lessen our impact. Trader Joe's has been on our list for this very reason

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3

6 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Trader Joe's has a wonderful tee tree oil shampoo and conditioner.  Very tingly, leaves hair silky, and not expensive.  

We hoard that shampoo because there's not a TJ's near us anymore. I send my husband by after work and he'll buy four to keep us until next time. We absolutely love it and have used nothing else for years. 

• Upvote 1

I may have mentioned this earlier in the thread but can't remember but I had someone on my local pet page say if I used DoTerra essential oils then tea tree wasn't toxic to dogs because it was more pure. Less then 3 weeks later someone tried to tell me the same thing about Young Living. I had 2 different people from 2 different MLMs try telling me that the more pure a toxin is the less toxic it was... it was horrifying. 

Also Cinnamon oil, it can cause severe respiratory problems in kids under 5. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 2
  • Rufus Bless 4

I went to the pharmacy this morning to pick up my prescription & I bought OGX teatree & mint shampoo & a conditioner. It was buy one get one 50% off so that was good! I came home & washed my hair, holy canoli you guys!! I didn't want to rinse it out of my hair!! It was tingly and it just felt (and smelled) so so good! (my hair is still wet so I don't know if it made a difference as far as shine goes but in my opinion, money well spent!! Thanks for the recommendation! 

• Upvote 6

I wish I could take Sierra’s face in my hands, look her deep in the eyes and tell her that making people click 63 times to get through her instagram stories is TOO MUCH. 

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 10
  • Love 5

1 hour ago, Sairrr said:

I wish I could take Sierra’s face in my hands, look her deep in the eyes and tell her that making people click 63 times to get through her instagram stories is TOO MUCH. 

I take umbrage that every damn mundane caption in her instagram 10 inches long? How do you write so much about laundry? "I have a lot of kids, so naturally laundry is time-consuming' could have summed up her last Captain Obvious post that Never needed to be shared.

"“Dear God, jtkfktyhobmxlsjfv. -Amen.” Sometimes my prayers are the equivalent to this couch, and??that pile of laundry ?. I keep them gathered in as many baskets as my heart can hold, then all at once, I dump them at God’s feet, in a big, ugly, jumbled-up mess. In the same way I took each piece of this laundry, folded, organized, and placed it on the appropriate pile to be put away, that is EXACTLY what God does with my heart. I have a donate pile: clothes that I no longer need, because we’ve outgrown them. And God has a donate pile, too. Trenches we’re no longer battling, He takes those prayers, and reminds us to donate them to someone currently in that trench. I have a pile that gets thrown away: a sock with holes, a poop-stained onesie, or a pair of jeans that are tattered and torn, and I throw it away. God does that, too. He takes the prayers that were selfish, prideful, mean, or controlling over a situation, and throws them away. Less holes, more holy. And finally I have the piles that get put back in the closets, to be worn, washed, dried, and folded again and again. I have prayers like that, too. “God, please break these chains. Please make me patient. Please remove pride. Please protect my marriage. Please turn our children’s hearts towards Yours.” Over and over, again and again. If you hate laundry (like me! ?), and want to burn it all, and start over, when the pile gets this big, remember this: God doesn’t ever decide our prayers are too much, and throw them all away. One of my prayers were that my hatred towards laundry would change. After all, these 9 beautiful people NEED to be clothed, so shouldn’t I be grateful that they are? I am now, but I wasn’t before. I still get overwhelmed by the AMOUNT of laundry, but I remember one.piece.at.a.time. And in the same way, God takes every broken prayer and picks it up one.piece.at.a.time. When I grabbed the 8 (oof!) baskets of clean laundry, and dumped them in this heap, I felt God remind me that I’m not alone, today. My prayers are safe in His arms, and He finds this pile beautiful. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ “Dear Child... I know.” -God

#choosejoy #speaklife#keepmarching" 

I mean...Jesus. The 20 minutes she spent typing that out could have been spent doing said laundry. Or Hanging out with the kids she's so grateful for.

...I'm feeling bitchy at the moment. A 4 year old stole my cookie out of my bag. ?

• Upvote 19
  • Haha 17
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, FleeJanaFree said:

I take umbrage that every damn mundane caption in her instagram 10 inches long? How do you write so much about laundry? "I have a lot of kids, so naturally laundry is time-consuming' could have summed up her last Captain Obvious post that Never needed to be shared.

"“Dear God, jtkfktyhobmxlsjfv. -Amen.” Sometimes my prayers are the equivalent to this couch, and??that pile of laundry ?. I keep them gathered in as many baskets as my heart can hold, then all at once, I dump them at God’s feet, in a big, ugly, jumbled-up mess. In the same way I took each piece of this laundry, folded, organized, and placed it on the appropriate pile to be put away, that is EXACTLY what God does with my heart. I have a donate pile: clothes that I no longer need, because we’ve outgrown them. And God has a donate pile, too. Trenches we’re no longer battling, He takes those prayers, and reminds us to donate them to someone currently in that trench. I have a pile that gets thrown away: a sock with holes, a poop-stained onesie, or a pair of jeans that are tattered and torn, and I throw it away. God does that, too. He takes the prayers that were selfish, prideful, mean, or controlling over a situation, and throws them away. Less holes, more holy. And finally I have the piles that get put back in the closets, to be worn, washed, dried, and folded again and again. I have prayers like that, too. “God, please break these chains. Please make me patient. Please remove pride. Please protect my marriage. Please turn our children’s hearts towards Yours.” Over and over, again and again. If you hate laundry (like me! ?), and want to burn it all, and start over, when the pile gets this big, remember this: God doesn’t ever decide our prayers are too much, and throw them all away. One of my prayers were that my hatred towards laundry would change. After all, these 9 beautiful people NEED to be clothed, so shouldn’t I be grateful that they are? I am now, but I wasn’t before. I still get overwhelmed by the AMOUNT of laundry, but I remember one.piece.at.a.time. And in the same way, God takes every broken prayer and picks it up one.piece.at.a.time. When I grabbed the 8 (oof!) baskets of clean laundry, and dumped them in this heap, I felt God remind me that I’m not alone, today. My prayers are safe in His arms, and He finds this pile beautiful. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ “Dear Child... I know.” -God

I mean...Jesus. The 20 minutes she spent typing that out could have been spent doing said laundry. Or Hanging out with the kids she's so grateful for.

...I'm feeling bitchy at the moment. A 4 year old stole my cookie out of my bag. ?

I thought this was a parody at first. ?

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 5

19 hours ago, FleeJanaFree said:

If I had a dollar for every one of Sierra’s rambling captions I’ve read in full I’d have exactly zero dollars because ain’t nobody got time for that.

Edit that shiz down Sierra. You’re using Instagram wrong.

Edited by Seculardaisy
  • Upvote 12
  • Haha 7

Why on earth doesn’t she do her washing every day so that it’s not such an overwhelming task?  Eight baskets would  drive anyone bonkers.  This is a thinly disguised plea for a Grandma Mary type laundry fairy I reckon. 

And I hope she is donating those clothes because they’re done having kids.  She’s close to the tipping point I reckon. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

She has a donate pile for outgrown clothes?  Are they done having kids? 

No, she's just really. fucking. stupid. She gave away all her boy clothes because she had two girls in a row. Even though they were fully planning on having more kids. So then she had to buy all new boy clothes (because of course Merrick can't wear his sisters' old clothes) when she - SHOCKER - inevitably had another boy. So the fact that she's donating clothes her current kids have outgrown means exactly nothing.

• Upvote 10
  • WTF 6
  • I Agree 6

Yeah I feel like she sold/donated her maternity clothes awhile back and I remember being surprised and thinking they were done...then she got pregnant. 

• Upvote 2

I thought she was going to full on reference that she was NOT having a laundry meltdown in response to the insinuation that she was headed for one with that laundry pile post. I was about to grab the popcorn, but alas. 

I don't think I'm done having kids, but I think I'm about to give in and donate some of these boys' clothes I have. 12 mos and under stuff holds up really well, but as they're getting older it the stuff they wear now isn't. As of right now I've kept every single purchase, gift, and handmedown and I've got like 10 tubs full with almost no storage space for it anymore. In fact, I've got four of them stacked next to my dining room table waiting for me to deal with them as I type this. Before we moved, the boys' had an attic space off their closet so I didn't have to be like man I could open my own consignment with all this. ?

My system with boys' clothes is pretty similar to Jessa's that she described in her YT video. I buy like seven to ten pairs of pants and just as many shirts with two pair of shoes for my oldest every time he outgrows or a new season begins. By the end of a season, in particular, the shirts are pretty dead after they've worn and washed a gazillion times. Then to hand that to my youngest, well I don't want him just looking absolutely rough all the time while my oldest has new things. So I'm having to change up my system now that they're both not babies anymore and just keep the stuff for my second that doesn't look like I've washed it 100 times and supplement the rest with thrifted or new things for him too. Jeans are another story and shoes are too for the most part. They keep and pass down relatively well at this age. I have a feeling that this won't always be the case either though as they grow rougher and rougher on clothes. 

• Upvote 6

On 2/1/2020 at 1:18 AM, FleeJanaFree said:

Oh my! I legitimately thought you didn’t quote Sierra but made fun of her with a “pretend” post. Reading it and thinking that you wrote it made it seem so insanely over the top. But then I went to Sierra’s instagram and... well well well. It was her, in all her craziness. 

Seriously, who has time to write about dumping laundry baskets at God’s feet (which would be a good thread title btw)? All Sierra’s dumping is word vomit into our feeds. My motto regarding her posts now is “choose joy, speak life, keep scrolling”. Who even comes up with such, um... metaphors... and thinks, yeah, that’s exactly what I should write down and share on social media?! In which bubble does she live? Is such nonsense normal anywhere? I just can’t wrap my head around it.

Also, in her most recent post, she wrote she recently encouraged a receptionist when taking Merrick to the doctor (the little bud does have a super sweet smile!). Look, maybe this receptionist was just hoping for some random encouragement. But if not, what the hell was Sierra blabbering? Her half patronizing, half plain weird religious talk is rarely needed. 

Edited by FluffySnowball
  • Upvote 13

I sometimes wonder if Sierra's past clothes sell-offs have been due to a need for some quick cash.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

Sierra crossed my mind last night and it's funny checking this thread since it is weirdly relevant. I'm working on my master's and stuck in research hell (having deadlines, working to meet them, and seeing so many issues in other people's work that I need to address, which makes my work slower) and at 2:30 AM was feeling particularly down.

I was also taking breaks to advance laundry, the giant clean pile of which I know Mr. Knees and Teen Knees will deal with folding today. I dont want to humblebrag/sound holier-than- thou and I know everyone has their own context, but man! I am so happy that academic work that I care about is the source of my stress, and not freakin' laundry. I am so sad for Sierra. She has energy and skills. She could do so much with that.... including raising maybe more than the average number of kids! Maybe 5+ over the course of 20 years.... not this. It's just sad that she seems committed to destroying her own potential so strongly. She could do so, so, so much better in life.

Sierra: you are a lucky woman who can pull herself out of this! Apply "quality over quantity" to all aspects of your own life and I think everything will be okay!

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

I'm late for the thread drift, but isn't belladonna what they used to treat Beth's scarlet fever in Little Women? I don't actually know what it is, apart from that.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, meee said:

I'm late for the thread drift, but isn't belladonna what they used to treat Beth's scarlet fever in Little Women? I don't actually know what it is, apart from that.

That's where I knew it from as a medicine as well.

• Upvote 2

Belladonna really does have some medical uses.  I'm not a human physician and I don't pretend to know the gross ins & outs of our species, but a close friend of mine was prescribed belladonna for some sort of gynocological issue.  Her doctor is excellent, definitely not a quack.  I want to say it was prescribed to be transvaginally taken as a suppository but although I know most of her medical history intimately (she likes me to come to her appts given my medical background), I either never asked what the purpose was or have forgotten.  It was really hard to get as no pharmacies carried it and I think it was a few weeks before it came on special order.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

Belladonna really does have some medical uses.  I'm not a human physician and I don't pretend to know the gross ins & outs of our species, but a close friend of mine was prescribed belladonna for some sort of gynocological issue.  Her doctor is excellent, definitely not a quack.  I want to say it was prescribed to be transvaginally taken as a suppository but although I know most of her medical history intimately (she likes me to come to her appts given my medical background), I either never asked what the purpose was or have forgotten.  It was really hard to get as no pharmacies carried it and I think it was a few weeks before it came on special order.

I think a combination of oral belladonna and phenobarbital is used to treat IBS, although it's not commonly used. I'm not even sure it's available in the US anymore. 

Google says specific belladonna alkaloids include atropine, hyosycamine, and scopolamine. I know those specific components are used more frequently, but their applications are pretty straightforward. 

The best I could come up with is belladonna and opium (rectal) suppositories, used treat ureteral spasm-related pain. 

• Upvote 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic